• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many UE4 japanese games are even out ? Can only think of SFV

Bloodstained:Ritual of the Night
Street Fighter V
Kingdom Hearts III
Dragon Quest XI
Let it Die
Monster Hunter Frontier Online 2
Shenmue 3
Tekken 7

Additionally LiD had fairly long loading times too between floors. I'm sure things will get better once they learn how to optimize it, but dang if it ain't harder on Japanese developers to get there.

Pompadour

No, I mean I'd rather have a blog post detailing this year's content than a simple DLC character trailer. I'd LIKE a trailer, but right now Capcom needs to be more communicative to the fanbase and start dropping this information.

WSO said something would be coming this week, and "haters will be left behind" guy thinks it'll happen this month as well, so Capcom needs to get to work communicating things.

So the Haters guy made another comment implying news this month?

Upload some of your replays to youtube. Either through Share on PS4 or OBS or whatever on PC.
You could also give out your CFN and people can look up replays. But to be honest, that's kind of a hassle lol

OK here's one - one of the ones I was talking about vs Mika.

https://youtu.be/ZT4ht_t-D-c

It starts out OK, I win the first round. But soon devolves and the final round I couldn't combo anything and wasn't punishing. Then I kept getting caught by her cross ups and falling for the same shit.

Go easy on me - I'm so terrible at this game.

So the Haters guy made another comment implying news this month?

No, I was just referring to his previous one, which said "in a few weeks". Which it has been.

I kinda get why Capcom didn't show anything off tonight considering MarkMan works for NB, not Capcom. But there really needs to be something to detail what's coming. CPT stuff has to be detailed before the end of next week. Full stop.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I constantly use Alex's V-skill when I'm fighting characters with slow or no projectiles and I still feel like a douchebag because I have to do it like 10 times just to get a non-meager amount of v-gauge. Taunting and teabagging just isn't my thing. I can tell my opponents don't like it either.

fml

If it's an actual tool the character can/has to use, then it's fair game. (Same goes for Urien's V-skill. "I'll savour this!" is very taunty, but it's a necessary evil.) Don't feel bad just cuz you gotta flex on a guy.

Yes for sure - I rediscovered the fact that there is a PS4 Spotify app and now I always put it on for SF. I keep meaning to make a SF playlist.

It's not the greatest - like it would be nice if I could push the game and go browse through my full Spotify library without losing a CFN connection but you can at least do basic stuff like change tracks from the quick menu without putting the game to sleep.

Not sure if this is the solution you're after, but you can browse/manage Spotify using the phone app, and select your PS4 as the output device. So you don't even have to bring up the quick (slow) menu to change tracks in the heat of the moment.

LakeEarth

Gonna need to take a break from the game for a little while. I'm being way too salty and getting frustrated in an unhealthy way. It's not the games fault (I'm playing Urien after all), its probably work plus all the Trump shit weighing on my brain leeching into my frustration.

I'll still stay up to date, watch the competitive stuff and check out new tech, just think it'll be better if I play some other games in my massive, gargantuan backlog. Something non-competitive.

Whales

Banned
feels like I hit a wall since 2-3 months and I my game has not progressed at all. I still do the same mistakes as before, even when i try to focus on fixing them.

I still suck at neutral, I can't tech a throw ever (seriously, just do tick throws all day vs me and you will win) and I throw fireballs at the second someone jumps in on me ffs. The only thing that improved is my AA game

shit sucks

Not sure if this is the solution you're after, but you can browse/manage Spotify using the phone app, and select your PS4 as the output device. So you don't even have to bring up the quick (slow) menu to change tracks in the heat of the moment.
Aha! I completely forgot about this. Thanks! That is huge.

I just beat a higher ranked Akuma both games for the set and I felt like I was against the ropes the entire time.

When it all ended I just sat there shaking my head, wondering how I pulled off the wins.

Gotta watch those replays for sure.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
No, I was just referring to his previous one, which said "in a few weeks". Which it has been.

I kinda get why Capcom didn't show anything off tonight considering MarkMan works for NB, not Capcom. But there really needs to be something to detail what's coming. CPT stuff has to be detailed before the end of next week. Full stop.

Me working WITH (not for) Bandai Namco has nothing to do with Capcom not showing anything during the Evo announcement show. They just don't have anything to show right now.

OrochiJR

Gold Member
So what are the chances of Capcom preparing a big content drop for the 1 year anniversary with arcade mode, new characters and other shit? The radio silence since December has to mean something, right?

Sayad

HOWtwoROCK53cbc2df0c61d.jpg
I though this was about Tekken's vampire girl, then I noticed I'm in SFV thread. I know it's a vampire thing to be expressionless, but that looked really awful in the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJVa0B5dwAE

There are no 7-3 matchups in the game.

Online Dhalsim:Zangief is probably the closest, at 6.9:3.1 based on the top 10k players, across almost 6,000 matches. There are also a handful 7:3 or worse based on the top 100 players, but those matchups are based on relatively few matches. Also, this may have changed in Season 2, but V-League does not yet allow you to stratify the data based on league.

Does anyone know where one can find v-gauge data? I've looked everywhere, but I can't find numbers. All I can ever find are bars and you can already see that in game or on any stream.
If it's an actual tool the character can/has to use, then it's fair game. (Same goes for Urien's V-skill. "I'll savour this!" is very taunty, but it's a necessary evil.) Don't feel bad just cuz you gotta flex on a guy.
Urien's V-skill is nice and has a way bigger effect if used even once. Alex players just looks like douches having to "flex" on dudes like 20 times for a medium amount of v-gauge.
Gief vs Chun or Urien
Probably not even in season 1 when Chun was at her strongest. He was surprisingly one of the few low tier characters that didn't get totally mauled by her. That AA jab, v-skill super armor and high damage output was a bad combination for her and he only got better in season 2.

I was able to calm down last night and focus on the basics, watching my opponent, reacting and occasionally guessing right on preemptive shit. I realize that while I can do just about any combo in the training room I need to focus on basic stuff I can actually execute more often than not. I keep like 3-4 combos to use in different situations and just stick with those.

Here is one match I recorded - 3rd set against an equal rank Akuma. I think I wrecked him in the first set, he switched things up in the second set and caught me being too aggressive and punished me for it. The third set is when I tried to relax and focus. Not perfect, but it felt good for my normally shitty play.

https://youtu.be/ZinJprop7nc

By the way, why doesn't SF just let you upload your replay to YouTube directly? Or have some way to access your CFN replays from a PC?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
OK here's one - one of the ones I was talking about vs Mika.

https://youtu.be/ZT4ht_t-D-c

It starts out OK, I win the first round. But soon devolves and the final round I couldn't combo anything and wasn't punishing. Then I kept getting caught by her cross ups and falling for the same shit.

Go easy on me - I'm so terrible at this game.
Yeah, a few easy things you can work on:

• If you get the knockdown on Mika (and in season 2 on most characters), you should pressure her on her wake-up. That's her biggest weakness. You actually backed up.
  • You get hit by cross-ups a lot. You seem to still be crouching when it happens, but you have to block it high.
  • You could have just jumped out of Mika's Critical Art in round 3. She has to combo into it or catch you during an animation for it to grab you.
  • You use sweep way too much, especially up-close. That's super punishable.
  • Anti-airs in general are not good. Use standing medium punch more.
  • You rely too much on special moves, which is why you're always trying to have charge. Balrog has great buttons!
  • When someone plays like this Mika, aka press buttons then jump forward and repeat again and again, you should be ready to jump back with heavy punch. That is the best way to beat that.

edit:

I was able to calm down last night and focus on the basics, watching my opponent, reacting and occasionally guessing right on preemptive shit. I realize that while I can do just about any combo in the training room I need to focus on basic stuff I can actually execute more often than not. I keep like 3-4 combos to use in different situations and just stick with those.

Here is one match I recorded - 3rd set against an equal rank Akuma. I think I wrecked him in the first set, he switched things up in the second set and caught me being too aggressive and punished me for it. The third set is when I tried to relax and focus. Not perfect, but it felt good for my normally shitty play.

By the way, why doesn't SF just let you upload your replay to YouTube directly? Or have some way to access your CFN replays from a PC?
Yeah, definitely more standing medium punch anti-air and I don't think you used a single standing heavy kick and standing heavy punch just once.

You also really need better punishes. Learn a Crush Counter combo that starts with standing heavy kick against random uppcercuts.

Looking at this a bit cursory, and my first thought is stMP, stMP, stMP! You let that guy jump all over you, and most of the times all you'd have to do is stMP to anti-air. Practice using that button (and crHP, to a lesser degree), and you'll be able to shut down a lot of bronze players who rely heavily on jumping.

Also, a very easy crush counter punish for wiffed DPs is stHK and then crHK. You may have to walk forward slightly, if you are further away from your opponent, but you have plenty of time. It's obviously not optimal, but it does OK damage and you should be able to execute it consistently with little practice.

Mr. X

Sfv replays are just inputs, not an actual video.

You were jumping after getting hit and eating a fierce too often. Any time you start getting hit, hold downback instead.

Awesome - thanks for all the feedback guys. Its kind of intimidating posting my actual shitty play on here but getting input from people that can actually see what I'm doing is super helpful.

Goals:

1) I will work on those stMP anti-airs - I know about them its just a weird gap in my muscle memory. I sometimes blank when getting jumped on and the second I realize what I need to do its too late.

2) Lay off the sweep. The problem is it works like 50% of the time against people at this level so its easy to fall into that trap. But it is so unsafe and I probably take more damage from it than I inflict on average. It is good for occasional longer range stuff or to counter some moves but not to just spam like I do. I think that's an old SF IV habit.

3) Crush counters. Get a few good easy to execute ones and practice the shit out of them so I can have them ready for punishes. I know stLP xx l. dash straight isn't an ideal punish.

4) Practice blocking cross-ups.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Wouldn't it be amazing (and completely feasible) if the game offered realtime analytics between rounds or between matches?

"You took the majority of damage from jump-in combos"

"80% of your sweeps were blocked, 50% of those were countered"

"You missed 30% of opportunities to punish unsafe attacks"

"X combo would have done 10% more damage in situation Y"

Some of this would be calculation intensive and maybe weak ass console CPUs and/or their pathetic servers aren't up to the task, but it could still be implemented for replays. This kind of automated coaching would fully eclipse other FG's informatics in utility for beginners and also the general wow factor.

You could set up different overlays upon starting to view a replay. "Show me opportunities to whiff punish" "Show me my percentage of successful jump-ins" "Show me total damage done by combo attacks" "Show the top 3 attacks I failed to block".

In total it would be a complex system but any given calculation should be elementary level programming.

Imagine if this game was budgeted to be a flagship, leading edge game and not bargain bin trash.

Wouldn't it be amazing (and completely feasible) if the game offered realtime analytics between rounds or between matches?

Some of this would be calculation intensive and maybe weak ass console CPUs and/or their pathetic servers aren't up to the task, but it could still be implemented for replays. This kind of automated coaching would fully eclipse other FG's informatics in utility for beginners and also the general wow factor.

You could set up different overlays upon starting to view a replay. "Show me opportunities to whiff punish" "Show me my percentage of successful jump-ins" "Show me total damage done by combo attacks" "Show the top 3 attacks I failed to block".

In total it would be a complex system but any given calculation should be elementary level programming.

Imagine if this game was budgeted to be a flagship, leading edge game and not bargain bin trash.

That would be the dream. I wonder if that's programmatically possible with the PC version, considering what TOOL_ASSISTED has accomplished.

That's a pretty fantastic idea.

I'm imagining a replay with pop-ups at critical moments, maybe right when you were dealt a lot of damage - how you could have avoided it and what the outcome could have been, or when you missed an opportunity to punish an attack effectively.

Like - here's what you did: shows replay, how much damage you took/dealt
Here's what could have happened - shows suggested moves/impact.

I don't know how CPU intensive this really would be. Would the calculations really be that crazy? Its not like they are happening during the match.

Thats some A.I/ Machine learning tech. Would need a lot of servers and a lot of engineers to make that work.

At best it could be a post game write up. Feed the replay to the AI coach, then receive performance review of what worked and what didn't.

It's a bit unreasonable to expect anything of THAT detail though. Some cold, hard stats is certainly doable but things like combo optimization and stuff is incredibly difficult to program, probably beyond the scope of people who make fighting games.

I'm completely forgetting what's on there but don't they track certain attack landing / blocking percentages at the very least on your Fighter Profile on CFN? Anything else useful tracked there?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Thats some A.I/ Machine learning tech. Would need a lot of servers and a lot of engineers to make that work.

At best it could be a post game write up. Feed the replay to the AI coach, then receive performance review of what worked and what didn't.

Edit: if you're responding to the idea that Ace added, ignore my impassioned reiteration of my original idea. Showing what could have happened instead is indeed a level of complexity beyond what I proposed.

I don't think reporting descriptive statistics qualifies as machine learning. A lot could be done with simple frequency counts of attacks, whether they hit, miss, or were blocked.

You can calculate missed punish opportunities with simple frame data subtraction and character positioning.

To teach more optimal combos you just have to know character position and the first successful attack, as well as a list of possible combos which is quite finite.

I'm not a programmer so I'll certainly defer to others' expertise, but I believe the barrier to completing this task would be time and effort, not sophistication of data analytics and cutting edge programming.

I any case I agree that Capcom will never do this.

And it probably would be too much to calculate in real time, but I bet they could give *some* kind of feedback between rounds. Like "you're taking a lot damage from the air" "or you only blocked 15% of low attacks".

In conclusion, if their already existing AI can read inputs and beat your attacks, and tool_assisted can program a bot that does the same, this isn't pie on the sky stuff.

Even very simple feedback would give players more info than they'd otherwise have time to figure out in their own.

FinKL

When I used to play local casuals, I usually call unsafe stuff out since I know my character better than my opponent. But the above is a great idea and completely do-able I feel.
Machine/Deep Learning would be you playing a CPU and whenever you get damage/advantage, the CPU would learn from that situation and try not to be put in that situation again.

Aside from the already stated that you let people just jump at you without any punishes, I would honestly say you aren't being aggressive enough, balrog has outstanding buttons and close range pressure, but you seem to back off and try to charge when you can.
You should try to learn how to charge during other actions, and use your buttons more, because right now I'm just seeing an incredibly passive balrog.

Try watching some games by smug or prrog.

I actually wouldn't mind playing you a bit, I'm not a great balrog player, but maybe you can pick some things up.

I was thinking something similar yesterday after fighting Karins and Cammys that I felt must have pressed 3-4 buttons for every one I pressed. Something like a "total number of XXX moves" list per match or per set. It would be really enlightening regarding how insanely good or bad some normals and framedata can be for different characters. I believe boxing games already do something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom