• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompadour

One thing that weirds me out a bit in that thread is that people claim you need to spend bunch of hours in training or know lot of framedata if you don't want to get blown up online. I've been doing just fine with having done combo execution in training and knowing if something I do is safe or not.

I've harped on this a lot but there's no way to communicate the vast gulf between the various skill levels. For some people being "good" means you're better than the average online player. For others it means you know how to do special moves.

SFV is easier but the gameplay changes mostly shrink the gap between intermediate and expert players. A 3f buffer doesn't mean shit to a guy who can't special cancel moves whereas for someone like me it means I can complete every Trial where in SF4 I had no hope of ever accomplishing that.

Conversely, the autocombo addition in MvCI will shrink the gap between an absolute beginner and a novice. No one would call a guy who could chain buttons into launcher into air buttons into super "good" but it's that guy who's going to get pissed at Capcom for dumbing down the game when he loses to an autocombo. No good player will sweat that.

Marvel

could never
Coming up in a minute. EDIT: Ahh screw it, just not in a funny mood right now.

What character are you playing? For some characters, even the standard "do a well timed jump-in" becomes a tough strategy if your jump is slow.
Mainly Ken, Urien and Cammy atm. But mostly Urien.

Struggling to get off Urien's V-Skill without getting boomed. If I don't play Ryu, Akuma, Bison, Alex or Kolin I feel utterly free.

HiResDes

With Cammy just wait for him to back himself in the corner basically, make sure you mix up your jumps in, neutral jumps, and dive kicks once you get the chance and pay attention to when he has V-Trigger.

Mainly Ken, Urien and Cammy atm. But mostly Urien.

Struggling to get off Urien's V-Skill without getting boomed. If I don't play Ryu, Akuma, Bison, Alex or Kolin I feel utterly free.
Hmm. For cammy, she has the EX SPIRUR ARROW, the v-skill and playing some good ol-fashioned footsies. She also has a solid jump arc and of course the divekick.

Ken has the fireball to match at least the regular boom. My personal strategy here would be to neutral jump the boom at close enough range, and try to punish a limb that gets thrown out. You can also do a raw V-skill into stuff(probably throw) if they've already pressed a button. Also if the Guile gets impatient and starts doing buttons in your face which you're blocking, try to do a medium button and get your turn. Ken's jump in is the best of the 3 characters here IMO.

For Urien, neutral jumping the boom is key. Know that every time you jump forward and the guile player keeps moving back, that's less time the boom is on the screen. You ideally want the boom to stay on the screen as long as possible, but behind you so that you have as much time as possible to do something. In this case, it's neutral jumping to get a v-skill off. After that, you have the "insurance" of being able to do a move when you think you have a read and try to get in. Urien's jump in is also viable. My personal advice would be to get a v-skill ready, then try to contest the fireball with your own. Maybe neutral jump a fireball, and then do a fully charged fireball of your own. It'll still take Guile more time to get a two hit v-skill boom of his own so you can chase your own boom or get a jump-in.

For LITERALLY every Guile matchup, getting him to the corner is key. Remember that thing I mentioned about wanting the boom to stay on screen as long as possible without him being able to throw another? That becomes a SERIOUS issue for Guile if he's in the corner and you just avoided a boom.

Marvel

could never
Solid advice, thanks very helpful. Doesn't help that I have been away for a month or two playing mkx and ki.

Need to re-adjust.

Edit: Thank you too mbpm xD

mbpm1

I think against any guile with any char punk's strategy he mentioned a while back is key. Get him to stop booming so he has to rely on normals or risky stuff like jumps or flash kick to keep you out. So threaten just enough with jumps to walk forward. Use some anti projectile options just enough to make him hesitate. This condenses the match to become a lot more conventional.

Don't try to predict or avoid every boom.

Pompadour

That 'Is Street Fighter V Worth Buying Now?' thread on Gaming is kind of annoying me because you can tell that most of the people saying to not even bother because the game is trash haven't played it for months. I know people are entitled to their own opinions, but people attributing bad experiences from months ago as if it's still happening is dumb.

I'm fine with people calling the game trash but the guy claiming that GAF shitting on the game is "refreshing" blows my mind. Shitting on SFV is the standard everywhere, especially here. Half of the posts in the OTs for other fighting games shit on SFV because, otherwise, they'd have to discuss their game. Christ, I'd say at least a quarter of the posts in this OT shit on SFV and ostensibly we like the game.

I'm stunned someone found the courage to express a negative opinion about Sacred Cow V.

I think against any guile with any char punk's strategy he mentioned a while back is key. Get him to stop booming so he has to rely on normals or risky stuff like jumps or flash kick to keep you out. So threaten just enough with jumps to walk forward. Use some anti projectile options just enough to make him hesitate. This condenses the match to become a lot more conventional.

Don't try to predict or avoid every boom.

Yes, I can't believe I missed this part. Once you have a Guile hesitant to throw booms, their first reaction is to either turtle entirely or to try and go on the offense. You can always turn that offense around ,if you're smart and patient about it.

Skilletor

I'm fine with people calling the game trash but the guy claiming that GAF shitting on the game is "refreshing" blows my mind. Shitting on SFV is the standard everywhere, especially here. Half of the posts in the OTs for other fighting games shit on SFV because, otherwise, they'd have to discuss their game. Christ, I'd say at least a quarter of the posts in this OT shit on SFV and ostensibly we like the game.

I'm stunned someone found the courage to express a negative opinion about Sacred Cow V.

Yeah, I was like wait...wut?

I'm not gonna lie.

After how much "Play this character the way we want you to play" has happened for SFV, MvC:I seems like a breath of fresh air.

Every characters seems to have so much versatility going for them simply because of the stone system.

Mizerman

Yeah. Sure. "Refreshing."

I'm not gonna lie.

After how much "Play this character the way we want you to play" has happened for SFV, MvC:I seems like a breath of fresh air.

Every characters seems to have so much versatility going for them simply because of the stone system.

Kinda reminds me of the Arcana system in Arcana Heart. Adds lots of versatility to ur play.

Skilletor

I'm not gonna lie.

MvC is FOR SURE going to replace SF5 for me.

Everything sounds so good.

Zoning, defense, offense, and not worrying about team composition with a good assist on a character I hate.

HNNNGGG.

Mizerman

I'm not gonna lie.

If there's one thing you shouldn't worry about from Marvel, it's versatility. Playing as Ultron will be interesting to me. I'm in.

Marvel

could never
Gotta admit once MVCi is out along with my personal most hyped (Injustice 2) not to mention learning Tekken 7 (never played em much) can't see myself dipping into SFV too much tbh.

LakeEarth

Some years, I just have to buy every fighter out there.

And some years, like this year, I just can't. They're are just too fucking many.

Mizerman

Right now, this is how it's going to be with me devoting my time fighting game wise.

1. MvCi
2. T7
3. SFV
4. KOF14
5. Blazblue/GG (depending on what they do down the road)
6. Injustice 2 (truthfully, I'm only getting it as a way to increase my PS4 library. I probably won't be playing it too much)

This is what my gaming time is probably gonna look like.

(i) Tekken 7
(ii) Injustice 2
(iii) Street Fighter V
(iv) MAHVEL BABY
(v) Other games (Yakuza always takes priority when it comes out)

Factor in real life stuff and goddamn, I think I made a good call not buying many new games this year cause I wouldn't have had time to play them anyway.

Numb

Tekken 7
SFV
Mavhel
KOF14
Injustass*
GG*

*If Static is included
*If Static is not included thus picking this instead

Injustass*
GG*
*If Static is included
*If Static is not included thus picking this instead
There is certainly precedence for Static. He was in the mobile game for IJ1, and he was one of the characters in a twitter poll for possible DLC characters for IJ1.

With only one "lightning" character in the game, I can see Static making it in this time around.

Numb

There is certainly precedence for Static. He was in the mobile game for IJ1, and he was one of the characters in a twitter poll for possible DLC characters for IJ1.

With only one "lightning" character in the game, I can see Static making it in this time around.

I do hope they confirm him either way
I'd day 1 it even if i have to run it alongside T7

After the online update for NRS games they introduced in MKX i have no other reasons to avoid it

I do hope they confirm him either way
I'd day 1 it even if i have to run it alongside T7

He's gonna be a DLC character for this game if he makes it in since we now know the entire base roster. They've said that they're gonna announce SOME of the DLC characters for this game before release.

There's also a stream planned for today, and an all access stream by DC for tomorrow.

MKX also had some of it's DLC character revealed before release so they might be doing it today or tomorrow for IJ2.

I love seeing all these gundam boys in here. Maybe we should get some games in Full Boost, although I'm ass and I don't know where my PS3 is at.

Anyway, my time is getting more and more limited. No more maining seven characters. Gotta focus.

1. Gundam
2. SFV
3. Marvel

I'll mash around in Tekken, but probably won't be competent. I'll grab IJ2 and GGREV2 to support fighting games, but it'll probably be to bring to locals or parties.

Fighting EX Layer probably won't drop until next year. Thank god. That is, if they do the funding and it makes the allotted amount.

Numb

He's gonna be a DLC character for this game if he makes it in since we now know the entire base roster. They've said that they're gonna announce SOME of the DLC characters for this game before release.

There's also a stream planned for today, and an all access stream by DC for tomorrow.

MKX also had some of it's DLC character revealed before release so they might be doing it today or tomorrow for IJ2.

The very first dlc i ever bought was for Injustice 1
Don't mind buying Static if they make him as one and can wait
Thankfully fighting games are blowing up right now that everyone is getting busy

Pompadour

I imagine any big fighting game release will get a month of my attention but I'll probably go back to SFV eventually. Marvel is the only one that could potentially keep my attention.

The only thing that really sucks is I got like a week for Rev 2 until Tekken 7.

Mizerman

Oh yeah, I forgot that Gundam Versus is coming to the West as well. I might cop that as well.

Static or somebody else who interests me as DLC will also determine if I play I2 more or not.

Scarecrow in IJ2 looks S-I-C-K.

It's also kinda weird how he has a trait similar to FANG in that he can cause DoT damage simply by being near his opponents.

Which is still balanced because he's a mid-range space controller with INSANE range on his normals and some specials. So looking forward to playing with him!

Scarecrow in Injustice 2 has Noob Saibot's Wishbone fatality as a command grab (though much less graphic)
KvPTpMy.gif

He can also do a Double Reppuken (Gear Ability)
OT8| Whens Mahvel
I've made this suggestion for every OT but damn it, it WORKS now.

Haven't played in a month, fam. S3 going to need to bring some major changes for me to care about the game again.

I don't know what I'm going to do for EVO since I really don't want to play SF5 there, lol.

But the game is so amazing! One of the best SF's yet! And you're done after a year?

sf4 best game

non troll: what would you want changed specifically?

Skilletor

But the game is so amazing! One of the best SF's yet! And you're done after a year?

sf4 best game

non troll: what would you want changed specifically?

Well, I played like 500 hours in that year. That's more than I've played anything other than an MMO since the arcade days. I was hoping S2 would be a super version, but more of the same has chased me to the arms of Angel and Vanessa.

What I would change:

• Stubby limbs. Make them not stubby.
  • Wakeup game allows for almost no variation on wakeup, keeps the defender defending. Make it more like 3s. Knockdown should reward the attacker, but not so much that we keep seeing the same shit play out.
  • Make fireballs great again.
  • Make Vskills good at all.
  • Mostly just want to see fights happening at different ranges, like 4, but without the feeling of jank (imo) 4 has.
  • I don't like how vtrigger is pretty much an xfactor right now for the top tier. I don't like 50/50 guesses all the time (like Ibuki). That's not smart play to me. I don't feel good winning like that, and don't think it makes for good viewing. I'm hoping everybody gets more versatitlity in their Vtrigs and see some more people with installs
  • I wouldn't mind if the game was faster.
  • further reduce input lag, because, like you, I KNOW I blocked that shit, but the game doesn't agree.
  • Take away Necalli's command throw. He doesn't need it.

Producer

MvC is FOR SURE going to replace SF5 for me.

Everything sounds so good.

Zoning, defense, offense, and not worrying about team composition with a good assist on a character I hate.

HNNNGGG.

pretty much. when vanilla mvc3 dropped , ssf4 became side game status for me. Also helped that i sucked in sf4 lol

Edzi

MvCi is definitely going to get a lot of my time assuming it's good. I'm also planning on investing a lot more time in GG for Rev2, and maybe finally learning how to play Tekken with T7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom