• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if Laura/Birdie is supposed to be a tough matchup but I'm personally having a much much easier time fighting the lightning lassie as Birdie compared to Mika or Alex. Being able to bully her with normals and easily stuff thunderclap makes it soooooo much easier to prevent her from running train on you. EX Killing Head is great for when they try and start a throw loop too.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I have to wonder if the S2 balance was done just by asking some japanese players what was their tier list and some of them went 'yeah Alex and Fang are OP, SS at the very least' at random

About as plausible as any other explanation. 'We asked this legendary arcade monster that only comes out during the full moon in years that end in odd numbers'. He said Alex was broken.

Z..

What's the trigger for Karin's Senha Resshu (qcb P + up K) to activate the stomping part of the attack instead of having her going behind the the opponent? Really like using her but can't figure out how to activate that final part of her attack consistently, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't and I can't understand what the difference is.

What's the trigger for Karin's Senha Resshu (qcb P + up K) to activate the stomping part of the attack instead of having her going behind the the opponent? Really like using her but can't figure out how to activate that final part of her attack consistently, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't and I can't understand what the difference is.

It always whiffs against crouching foes IIRC, so neither of the followups are safe if the opponent is blocking low.

Nash in last place. Feelsbadman

But surely a character that "has all the tools" and is "broken" can't go from "top tier" to last place from a few tweaks.

Hint: He was never top tier. He always already had major flaws. I feel like Nash was wrongfully accused and sentenced for a crime he didn't commit and now all Nash players are suffering because of it.

Producer

But surely a character that "has all the tools" and is "broken" can't go from "top tier" to last place from a few tweaks.

Hint: He was never top tier. He always already had major flaws. I feel like Nash was wrongfully accused and sentenced for a crime he didn't commit and now all Nash players are suffering because of it.

I think after the second half of 2016 everyone already knew he wasnt top tier. But he still got nerfed anyways lol

That's why I think this balance patch was made after evo and not after capcom cup lol

mbpm1

Hope Kolin as a gun
tumblr_okns6tFtMd1uhfq0qo1_1280.jpg

Marvel

could never
Awesome OT.

Spent some time away from SFV, truly feel a break has done me some good. Enjoyed some MKX and my backlog. But alas Bison is calling me to return and get those last 200 LP for Gold!

Edzi

That's why I think this balance patch was made after evo and not after capcom cup lol
Nash changes told me that.

This seems to be the case, but it's extremely confusing if true. Why would they sit on those changes for months without paying attention to the evolving meta/tiers? I don't get it. They say they're listening, and yet we get stuff like this that says the exact opposite.

Edzi

Naw, keep that DP adjustment.

Either they need to give us more defensive options and remove the CC penalty for non EX DPs (since what's even the point of using them anymore when they're so easily stuffed?) or they should roll back the change and give them to more characters (like Guile and Juri). I get that it's nice to be able to pressure endlessly on wakeup, but I think that's just replacing one problem with another.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
pressure isn't endless though, you gain bar pretty fast and ex are still invincible, the 4 characters that have them will just have to decide whether or not they want to keep that 1 ex bar on deck for the wakeup option.

Skilletor

pressure isn't endless though, you gain bar pretty fast and ex are still invincible, the 4 characters that have them will just have to decide whether or not they want to keep that 1 ex bar on deck for the wakeup option.

Then they should get rid of the CC on block, since the entire logic behind having them was that they were invincible reversals.

They should also adjust the hitboxes of EX DPs, since they don't replace the utility of a regular DP (especially Cammy), but cost meter. They're pretty much relegated to combo option or wakeup option and not useful in the neutral at all (especially Cammy).

CPT EU confirmations:

Sonic Boom (Madrid) - Ranking
Ultimate Fighting Arena (Paris) - Premiere
Hypespotting (Glasgow) - Ranking
Colosseum (Rome) - Ranking
FFM Rumble (Hamburg?) - Ranking

Going to be very tough for me to make it to that Premiere event. Hypespotting is a lock, maybe FFM Rumble.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's a grab that only works on standing opponents. It doesn't combo or anything. Whiffs on crouching opponents. Same thing with the V-Trigger u.k option.

CPT EU confirmations:

Sonic Boom (Madrid) - Ranking
Ultimate Fighting Arena (Paris) - Premiere
Hypespotting (Glasgow) - Ranking
Colosseum (Rome) - Ranking
FFM Rumble (Hamburg?) - Ranking

Going to be very tough for me to make it to that Premiere event. Hypespotting is a lock, maybe FFM Rumble.

Waaaaaaaaaaaiiiitt so they are dropping CPT info? Where?

It seems to be the one change that is overwhelmingly disliked. We shall see soon enough I guess.
Well, in a game where half of the playerbase uses Ryu or Ken, that would make sense.

Then they should get rid of the CC on block, since the entire logic behind having them was that they were invincible reversals.

They should also adjust the hitboxes of EX DPs, since they don't replace the utility of a regular DP (especially Cammy), but cost meter. They're pretty much relegated to combo option or wakeup option and not useful in the neutral at all (especially Cammy).
Getting rid of the crush counter on non-EX DPs makes a lot of sense.

Ucchedavāda;229458230 said:
I like it too, but I've spent most of my time in IV and V playing characters without meter-less invincible reversals. So it's doesn't feel like a big change to me, personally.
I don't think it's a huge change - EX meter is abundant. However, it means people who use that EX meter likely will not get critical art access, and that's an important balance point.

I don't mind it, but homogeneity in fighters leads to boredom. Universal mechanics are silly.
One thing I have always hated about Street Fighter is that wakeup dragon punch means I, the aggressor, have to be afraid of being aggressive. I feel that landing a knockdown on a character should be rewarded, not a potential defensive mixup.

If Bison is tournament-viable now (and I think he may be), it will be for two reasons:
1) 3-frame LK.
2) Non-EX DPs no longer being invincible.

I would say that increasing the presence of character diversity is a more valuable kind of heterogeneity over character differentiation. One reason I strongly disliked SFIV was the prevalence of invincible moves; I prefer their absence, and I'm skeptical that a game can be balanced when only a few characters have the ability - how do you measure the value of an invincible dragon punch? How much should a character sacrifice in other areas to have it?

Skilletor

I would say that increasing the presence of character diversity is a more valuable kind of heterogeneity over character differentiation. One reason I strongly disliked SFIV was the prevalence of invincible moves; I prefer their absence, and I'm skeptical that a game can be balanced when only a few characters have the ability - how do you measure the value of an invincible dragon punch? How much should a character sacrifice in other areas to have it?

I definitely agree with you, but at the same time, but there are so few defensive options in this game that being on defense becomes a matter of "well, I just need to wait my turn." There are way too many repeated situations that have no proper solution other than to wait until they poke themselves out of range or use a move that's -2 so that I can go. So we see situations that repeat themselves constantly.

That's the reason that DPs are so strong in this game, I think (or were, anyway), because momentum means soooooo much. There's no way to be a defensive player in this game, except maybe Guile, I guess. You can't really win on defense. Even Sim has to play aggressive. DP was dangerous because it stopped your offense, and you always want to be on offense in this game.

So, while I agree that it's a good change because it increased character diversity, it doesn't do much to address the lack of diversity in playstyles. DP change means people can stay on the offensive easier. But now you just learn oki setups off your knockdowns and repeat those. There's more setplay now more than ever, and that was one of the things they wanted to take out of the game.

btw - Happy Birthday! And we'll get together to play some GG soon. It's been a crazy few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom