• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a chance to meet up with Markman and Katsuhiro Harada during a local fighting games event here in Peru, both cool guys and I was actually able to speak a little bit with Harada... in Japanese. I was nervous af lol. I told Harada that as a mainly Street Fighter player myself, I was looking forward to making the jump into Tekken now that Akuma will be playable.
That's awesome!

Did you get a chance to play some Tekken?

Sayad

o7zpNVn.jpg
That MechaKuma costume behind Markman is amazing! SFV bear better get one.

Femto.

Yay. Made if from gold to platinum with Akuma.

Can I bee a final boss now? :)

Congrats!

My goal is to make it to Gold from Super Silver, and stay there, by Evo. Given how fucked ranked is right now, I'm afraid to touch it.

Been playing casual and battle lounges since we lost our icons for not rage quitting.

Edzi

Lol. Had to keep up with you!

But not if you try going past platinum any time soon. Fuck ranked for a good while. Hahaha

Yup, I'm done with that mode. I tried going back and hit the Rookie glitch which lost me over 300 points. I angrily grinded back up to Platinum and swore off ranked forever (or at least until Capcom overhauls the game and its garbage network).

Skilletor

Yup, I'm done with that mode. I tried going back and hit the Rookie glitch which lost me over 300 points. I angrily grinded back up to Platinum and swore off ranked forever (or at least until Capcom overhauls the game and its garbage network).

Good. Lol.

I might get to platinum on PC...but I'm committed to only playing with the new characters all year as they come out. Dunno what I'm going to do at EVO.

Whoa!

Hey, if you don't mind answering, how long have you been playing fighting games?

Since Sf2 on snes. :)

I'm super happy right now, lol. I never managed to get above like 1700pp or bp or whatever in SF4.

Only other fighter I've managed to rank up so high is doa2u on og xbox.

Edzi

Good. Lol.

I might get to platinum on PC...but I'm committed to only playing with the new characters all year as they come out. Dunno what I'm going to do at EVO.

I'm super happy right now, lol. I never managed to get above like 1700pp or bp or whatever in SF4.

Pick a top tier for Evo, just for fun.

Good. Lol.

That's awesome then

MCD250

Yeah, I currently live in the Silver-Ultra Silver salt mines and the main motivation to get out of here at this point is, basically, that you really get tired of fighting people who just do stupid things constantly. We're talking things like point blank sweeps, wakeup hadokens, raw, "hard read" Flash Kicks...it just gets old after a minute. Plus I'm constantly worried that fighting people like this exclusively will inevitably lead to the development of bad expectations/habits. At least in the higher ranks there is a higher probability of running into people who might know what they're doing. Or at least I hope that is the case.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I had a similar experience getting back to platinum in ranked. It's very hard to be consistent in this game, because having random unsafe offense pays off and is hard to defend against. On the other hand I've beaten two diamond players yesterday. It's a confusing game.

Femto.

Is there any other SF game that rewards yolo play like this one does?

This is the only one I have played beyond a casual level. Gootecks called this game the "3rd Strike of the modern era" on last weeks EA.

Is there any other SF game that rewards yolo play like this one does? This is the only one I have played beyond a casual level.
Yolo play has always been in Street Fighter, and as always, different characters got away with it more than others.

But this might be the first street fighter that encourages that style of play for practically every character, even a year after release. At least IMO.
Gootecks called this game the "3rd Strike of the modern era" on last weeks EA.
5fb06cc63a3564e2e2903576fafdc0b9.gif

Femto.

Yolo play has always been in Street Fighter, and as always, different characters got away with it more than others.

But this might be the first street fighter that encourages that style of play for practically every character, even a year after release. At least IMO.
So, in past games characters would have ways to defend/counter against yolo play?

After watching Co-op cup, I question the statement as well lol

MCD250

That thing that shows where Stupendous looking at on screen is something every FGC streamer should use.
The first time I saw it I was surprised to notice that his eyes are almost always set on his opponent. I often find myself looking at my own character, to judge things like spacing, etc.

It is not.

Diamond is the level you're looking for.
Goddammit.

Is there any other SF game that rewards yolo play like this one does?

This is the only one I have played beyond a casual level. Gootecks called this game the "3rd Strike of the modern era" on last weeks EA.
As I recall, he meant that more in the context of the popularity of certain characters among casual and professional players. 3rd Strike's balance issues were such that the game was mostly dominated by a handful of characters (Ken, Chun Li, Yun, Makoto, etc.) just as SFV is (currently, at least) dominated by its own handful (Laura, Urien, Balrog, etc.).

Femto.

As I recall, he meant that more in the context of the popularity of certain characters among casual and professional players. 3rd Strike's balance issues were such that the game was mostly dominated by a handful of characters (Ken, Chun Li, Yun, Makoto, etc.) just as SFV is (currently, at least) dominated by its own handful (Laura, Urien, Balrog, etc.).

That makes more sense lol

Femto.

Chris T, why aren't you still rocking those head phones?

The Snake Eyez shade by K-brad, someone put this man on a leash lol

Yeah, I mean no street fighter was ever good at it's first iteration. It always took a rerelease or a balance patch for it to become "fairer" and even then it was never perfect.

Street Fighter 3 wasn't welcomed by the community at first, it was only really until 2nd Gen/3rd Strike that the game really started to get a fanbase. Personally I've never been of a fan of the game's overall systems mainly due to the universal parry which I feel limited the roster and possible styles of play quite a bit. Just see how (not)good Remy is, or that a character like Sagat or Dhalsim would never work as well in that game.

Street Fighter 4 had a LOT of balance issues when it first came out but things got better and they refined and refined. Still released broken characters when Yun made his appearance. But USF4 is mostly comprised of a lot of top tier characters that are on a similar plane.

The issue I'm seeing with SF5 is that they value the CPT so highly and yet in their first balance patch they made a lot of jarring decisions that almost no one seems to like or agree with. Making V-reversals kinda worse, that white life change, the DP change (with no change in CCs to accomodate) and the excessive nerfing of some characters (like Nash and Ryu) and balance changes that make no sense (Birdie's EX bullhead and bullhorn armor change) and balance changes that really are just putting another nail in the coffin of already bottom tier characters (Alex and F.A.N.G)

And they didn't even really fix one of the issues that they clearly underlined in the form of the jab AAs. They're still there. Not all of the previous top tiers have them, but they're still a thing.

It's that change that simply does not make me confident that they're going to be balancing things correctly. I'd love to be proven wrong but at this point I'd even put money on the fact that I won't be.

Femto.

It's that change that simply does not make me confident that they're going to be balancing things correctly. I'd love to be proven wrong but at this point I'd even put money on the fact that I won't be.

We're on the same wavelength.

Personally, my dream is that the game is balanced to where we see a variety of character representation in CPT.

Killer Instinct had its whole roster (32 at the time) in top 32 last year at KI cup. It would be cool if SFV can get to a point to where a large portion of the cast is represented in high level play.

We're on the same wavelength.

Personally, my dream is that the game is balanced to where we see a variety of character representation in CPT.

Killer Instinct had its whole roster (32 at the time) in top 32 last year at KI cup. It would be cool if SFV can get to a point to where a large portion of the cast is represented in high level play.

You might have the killer instinct roster a bit wrong there but I see your point.

Random suggestion but what if they made if so dealing damage to your opponent healed your grey life, or some part of it? So the grey life build up would still punish turtling and fullscreen parrying would still be more risky, but without grey life being basically chip. (So kind of like that Bloodborne mechanic.)

Questionable balance changes or no, this season already has a better chance of diversity than the previous one. The rarities pre balance patch would be Ryu, Sim, FANG, Alex, and Vega. Even with the crazy top tier comebacks people are already dealing with them. And seeing my man Bison put in that work is a thing of beauty.

When they hit that patch and buff a few low tiers at least three of those dudes are gonna be out of the unplayable bracket.

ElFly

AA jabs are fine now

DP change should have happened a decade ago if not more. Shotos have been coasting on free invincible dps for too long

real problem is white life, reversals, and the random nerfs to some already mid tier chars, also maybe Ryu, and the buff to people who didn't need it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom