• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Japan not winning a major (they have) has nothing to do with how bad or good a game is lmao

A lack of a arcade version hurts them. Consoles are dead in Japan and arcades are more convenient and play with other people than finding a local tournament that may happen once a month.

Pompadour

This lol.

It doesn't matter if they reduce the input lag to 0.5 frames, you're still not gonna react to that EX chariot tackle, that EX sonic boom (at close range) unless you block preemptively or that EX bullhead. These moves are all designed to be difficult to react to and THAT's the problem. This is why I think that V-Trigger Necalli is the most bullshit thing in the game with his nigh-unreactable dashes.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. All these examples are gated behind meter so they aren't free. The bigger issue is what you get off of moves like this. The 2.1 nerf to Urien's EX tackle made perfect sense because it initially allowed you to attack at nearly fullscreen and, either on hit or block, allow you to put them in mix-up city by canceling into VT. That's some Marvel shit.

Kashiwaba

A lack of a arcade version hurts them. Consoles are dead in Japan and arcades are more convenient and play with other people than finding a local tournament that may happen once a month.
Even with Tekken 7 Japanese players are not as good at they used to be despite having that on arcade.

Too bad. Adapt or die. Plus they have the best internet so they can eat me.

People are catching up. It happens.

mitchlol

My issues with SFV are around quality of life issues as well as mechanics. I think load times, graphical clipping on load screens and general server problems hurt my enjoyment. When I play ranked I would prefer to only verse people in my region, simply setting to 5 bar isn't enough, I still get matches with Japanese players who might hit 5 bars for a quick second but the actual match plays like shit... its frustrating and yes black listing helps but it's still a pain to dig through menus to block a player.

My issues with mechanics are the lack of options defensively, worst still certain characters can repeatedly abuse heavy attacks to fish for a crush counter often with no real negative consequence. Jump ins lead to too much damage and anti airing doesn't lead to and equal amount of damage...

Basically the risk reward is thrown off. If a combo or jump in can lead to 40% then it should carry a massive risk. From a spectator point of view, seeing a player make a huge gamble that pays off is exciting as it watching a huge risk get punished. Unfortunately SFV matches are not all that exciting so all the interest comes from the players themselves and not the game.

I still play sfv everyday, because...... what else am I going to play?

Port forwarding

Also loading times for most games that are UE4 will forever be butt

Also play Gundam for that neutral
enjoy getting rocked lmaooo

Your avatar is all stretched out and gross looking, just bring back the pocket Juri :(

Even with Tekken 7 Japanese players are not as good at they used to be despite having that on arcade.
The Japanese are a hard-working people and have historically put in a lot of time, money and effort to get good at competitive video games.

But they're nothing in front of the Goddamn KOREANS.

There's a player called EternalEnvy who is a professional Dota 2 player. He's based from the US but he's been in a lot of top tier teams and gotten consistently good results.
Here's what he said back in 2015, when Korean teams were just starting to make a splash in Dota 2.

kZ2pQEf.png

Also play Gundam for that neutral
enjoy getting rocked lmaooo
Serious question, I've never played a Gundam fighting game. Only thing I know of the franchise is that it has cool mechs.

Is there some videos or something that you can share so I can get a sense of what TYPE of fighting game it is?

mitchlol

FWIW I have taken 7 and Injustice 2

At least in my area of the world injustice does not have the online population that SFV has, tekken is quite healthy and I've found myself swapping between tekken and SFV.

Injustice 2 while fun for single player content and playing locally with friends, I don't enjoy the dial a combo gameplay or find the way characters control to be super appealing. It's a casual bit of fun to have but not something I would invest serious time in.

Tekken is great but has an incredibly steep learning curve and while 3D is refreshing I prefer 2D

Now if Guilty Gear Rev 2 could be as popular as SFV (or more popular I should say) that would make me the happiest, it has a steep learning curve, incredible visuals and depth to boot.

Serious question, I've never played a Gundam fighting game. Only thing I know of the franchise is that it has cool mechs.

Is there some videos or something that you can share so I can get a sense of what TYPE of fighting game it is?
It's a 2v2 arena fighter, mostly based around good meter management for your dodges. Units have their own "cost" depending on what "tier" they are in. This cost ties into to the max amount of points you spawn with, first team to 0 loses.
Played most of them on ps2 and extreme vs on ps3 and they are pretty dope, but really hard against good players.

It's a 2v2 arena fighter, mostly based around good meter management for your dodges. Units have their own "cost" depending on what "tier" they are in. This cost ties into to the max amount of points you spawn with, first team to 0 loses.
Played most of them on ps2 and extreme vs on ps3 and they are pretty dope, but really hard against good players.

Yeah basically this. Suits have fairly good variety in terms of styles of play. You don't get a zillion combos, kinda like SFV, so the depth is teamwork, meter management, spacing, and keeping your points up.

Also loading times for most games that are UE4 will forever be butt
But that is demonstrably not true, at least not on PC.

A big chunk of the load times are from the transition screens and from contacting the server on PC. Offline, modded SFV can load into a match faster than USFIV.

It is possible that it does take that much longer on PS4, even in the absence of the transition screens, but we obviously have no way of knowing.

Yeah basically this. Suits have fairly good variety in terms of styles of play. You don't get a zillion combos, kinda like SFV, so the depth is teamwork, meter management, spacing, and keeping your points up.

Ohh, I thought it was a 1v1 fighter for some reason :(

That does sound pretty cool but I just don't enjoy co-operative games as much as I once used to. Still, might give it a shot if the online is decent.

Ah man, I might not be able to make it to EVO. At the very least, I won't be able to drown in pools. Started this job far too late in the game and I'd be cutting it close on bills.

Ucchedavāda;241436772 said:
But that is demonstrably not true, at least not on PC.

A big chunk of the load times are from the transition screens and from contacting the server on PC. Offline, modded SFV can load into a match faster than USFIV.

It is possible that it does take that much longer on PS4, even in the absence of the transition screens, but we obviously have no way of knowing.

That's true. I feel like CEO went a little bit faster than usual because of the update, at the very least.

That does sound pretty cool but I just don't enjoy co-operative games as much as I once used to. Still, might give it a shot if the online is decent.

Yeah you can't 1v1 in this game. From the beta I played it was pretty good tho.

what about daigo losing to c tier players though

Deserved after playing like a Bronzer. Don't really care how godlike you used to be, if you play like shit in any fighting game, you deserve the L. Fuck the legacy. And against Menard, he played like absolute dog shit.

Sheroking

what about daigo losing to c tier players though

Why would that be a comment on the game?

It's not as though SFV results aren't fairly consistent at the top end. Punk and Nuckledu have no problems beating "C-tier players" on the regular so why should Daigo getting blown up, while playing a top tier no less, say something about the game itself?

MCD250

"Japan sucks" is my favorite OS tbh. If Japan loses at a game, that means the game sucks. If Japan wins, then the US is free and a bunch of scrubs. Either way you get to shit on somebody.

MCD250

If Daigo picked up Necalli he'd probably do some wild shit like anti-air with EX stomp. It would work a few times and then get him killed in a match against Phenom and then folks would call him washed up.

Beckx

GundamGAF is good people too

assuming that the band gets back together for GV

co-op games are great b/c you can transcend the feeling of just losing to losing and causing someone else to lose too.

Ucchedavāda;241409982 said:
It doesn't help that people don't know what they are talking about.

For example, James Chen excused the higher input delay in Tekken, because moves were slower in that game, but complained about SFV because the he believed that the input delay in that game made it impossible to react to moves like Urien's EX Chariot Tackle.

EX Chariot Tackle is a fast-moving attack with a startup of only 7 frames, or ~117 ms. That is much faster than it takes humans to react to complex visual stimuli, even at the low end. It's designed so that you wont be able to react in time, even if there was 0 input delay.
Well that and the Aris rant that people post where he doesn't make any good points and makes up an argument in his head. Capcom games have problems sure, and they need to be addressed, but I always feel the wrong voices are much louder and then nothing changes.. Also when people have a negative perception of something they will nitpick it to shit as well...

Lulubop

Just love the communication Capcom has with the fans! (even tho we're supposes to get a character this month and it's already June 20th yet we haven't heard anything.)

Village

It also lets me play as a satan. You know how to get me to look at your game, let me play as a satan. Tekken lets me play as 3 satans. Some top tier shit

Ki is a gift though, like the weird ass costumes, that raptor has a cheerleader outfit. Coolest dumbest shit.

Speaking of which, me and a friend of mine were talking, we kind of came to the conclusion that if SF6 happens, its going to be a dress up boy. Its going to be a customization game I feel like that's where this genre , and great many genre's are going and its way for companies to make a lot of cash.

I hope those people who hate custom costumes are ready is all i'm saying

It also lets me play as a satan. You know how to get me to look at your game, let me play as a satan. Tekken lets me play as 3 satans. Some top tier shit

Ki is a gift though, like the weird ass costumes, that raptor has a cheerleader outfit. Coolest dumbest shit.

Speaking of which, me and a friend of mine were talking, we kind of came to the conclusion that if SF6 happens, its going to be a dress up boy. Its going to be a customization game I feel like that's where this genre , and great many genre's are going and its way for companies to make a lot of cash.

I hope those people who hate custom costumes are ready is all i'm saying
The problem with custom costumes is largely the fact that they're implemented poorly.

They CAN be done in a way where it fits the character, looks cool and isn't distracting (exactly what IJ2 did). The problem with this approach though is that you won't get any insane customization options, like the furry penis man from Soul Calibur 5. And it requires a lot of fine-tuning and manpower to do this if you have a large roster.

Killer Instinct has a decent amount of customization options for all the characters. They almost all look like shit because they feel like stuff that's just tacked on to the character with no consideration on how it actually looks on the model, EVEN THOUGH EVERY CHARACTER HAS UNIQUE CUSTOMIZATIONS.

I certainly don't mind custom costumes but then you also have to take care of those things and also implement options for people who don't want to have to put up with that shit. Namely the ability to stop any customizations from showing on your screen if you're playing online. Tekken 7 severely needs this as most people have no taste.

Just love the communication Capcom has with the fans! (even tho we're supposes to get a character this month and it's already June 20th yet we haven't heard anything.)

I feel like this is a damn cycle. Like shit gets good finally and it's like, yeah, nice, and then we wait weeks for things that we shouldn't have. Like when we were getting the CFN, they were booty about talking to us for a while, and THEN finally they had a post on their Twitter saying "here's the next character trailer data". Before that, I think they even said "it's coming soon!" or some shit. And that was better.

But now we are back in the waiting game and it's silly. If it's delayed, tell us. How about a weekly report on things. I just want to know where the character is at in terms of development.

Lulubop

I feel like this is a damn cycle. Like shit gets good finally and it's like, yeah, nice, and then we wait weeks for things that we shouldn't have. Like when we were getting the CFN, they were booty about talking to us for a while, and THEN finally they had a post on their Twitter saying "here's the next character trailer data". Before that, I think they even said "it's coming soon!" or some shit. And that was better.

But now we are back in the waiting game and it's silly. If it's delayed, tell us. How about a weekly report on things. I just want to know where the character is at in terms of development.

for real

Blueblur1

Definitely agree with this. More consistent communication (whether its good news or bad news) is better than what they're doing today.

Top Bottom