• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Ryce

Abigail looks truly fucking incredible. He's my favorite SFV character. I love big powerhouses, I love Final Fight, and I love offbeat characters. The game was in dire need of another unexpectedly wacky fighter in the vein of Dhalsim, Blanka, Necro, and F.A.N.G, and I'm glad we got one in Abigail. He looks and animates like a Punch-Out!! opponent with a Mad Max license, and I love it.

jett

D-Member
I'm bummed by this pattern Capcom are following, especially released so close together. =/

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That Abigail animation looks so bad compared to the other two.

mbpm1

Yeah by design or not some of Abigail's animations are wack. Hifight took somef of the better ones though. aside from his I am quite fond of the throw where he walks on top op you and then kicks you, that's the best one

cackhyena

That Abigail animation looks so bad compared to the other two.
I think it looks fine, but where it tries to connect on these smaller characters...they should line that up.

I'm still waiting for a new character that speaks to me beyond Akuma and Nash. I dabble with Rog and Guile, but they aren't as fun for me as they were in 4.

MCD250

Woooo, man. I caught up with SFV grand finals and that was incredibleeeeeeeee. Tokido played it so good.

EVO 2017 top 8 was amazing tbh.

Do they have a blog post for Abigail up yet?

Ryce

Abigail's animations look on par with the rest of the cast. A handful of people thought Akuma's animations were janky and unfinished when he was revealed, too (you can look through GAF for proof). This seems to happen whenever a new character is revealed. I think the problem is that the animations of the existing fighters have become so ingrained in peoples' minds that it just feels off when they finally get to see a new character in action. I don't think people will have a problem with his animations after using him for a few days.

Abigail might be the first character that's gotten me legit excited for SFV since F.A.N.G

CAN'T WAIT

The year is 2020. At SFV's final EVO, Japanese and American players team up to topple three-time consecutive EVO champion lucebuce12, who's taken the world by storm with his legendary Unbeatable Weirdo Triad of FANG, Birdie and Abigail.

Their efforts will be in vain.

MCD250

I think maybe part of the reason why his animations look a little funky is that he is the only character who doesn't have an even semi-realistic anatomy. Everyone else's proportions are obviously exaggerated, but they at least generally look like real people of different body types, such that you could actually replicate a lot of their animations via mocap. Abigail on the other hand has tiny legs, a giant torso, giant arms, a super tiny head, etc. He doesn't look like a real person, let alone one who should be able to move naturally. It creates a kind of mental disconnect.

mbpm1

Abigail's animations look on par with the rest of the cast. A handful of people thought Akuma's animations were janky and unfinished when he was revealed, too (you can look through GAF for proof). This seems to happen whenever a new character is revealed. I think the problem is that the animations of the existing fighters have become so ingrained in peoples' minds that it just feels off when they finally get to see a new character in action. I don't think people will have a problem with his animations after using him for a few days.
Nope, some of akumas animations still look off to me. Same as how elenas animations in sfiv looked off. I've just gotten used to how strange his fwd hp or overhead are but if I think about them the result is the same.

lol, feels weird coming to GAF and seeing the dislike bar on the Abigail trailer after experiencing the reveal at the Evo arena. People were hyped and positive for him there, but there's the usual negativity outside of that context.

His actual look is really stupid, but in a way that works. This is the final form of muscle power. Other than that, he looks pretty different and rather interesting. I look forward to seeing more.

Internet is always more negative man, SFV mainly sucks here remember lol...

He looks silly, but fits right into SFV IMO. I just don't like the decision of all new characters outside of Akuma. Don't know what the rationale there was, but old returning/brand new formula seems to be the best format for hype and to stay fresh. And when you have popular characters like Sagat or Sakura come back but play differently it's like a double whammy.

Also side note, I think I'm starting to respect Karin's play even less than Mika and Laura. She seriously has like no weaknesses, gets to hit confirm into big damage, builds meter quickly, great spacing, throw game, and corner pressure, and has a 3-frame normal for solid defense and breaks up your pressure if your not super tight with meaty and setups. How the fook has she basically stayed the same since S1 and characters like Chun, Nash, and Ryu have gotten major changes trying to balance them out. Like who is looking at Karin's kit and going "hmmm...yeah yeah, she's good"???!!

Ridiculous!

Also, please give Ken a 3-frame normal that isn't a special. I think with that one change, he could compete with top tier so much better, along with St. HK 12 frames instead of the awful slow 14. Seeing Tokido check dashes with jabs and his st.mk was so beautiful, but I'm not confident enough to play with the glass cannon himself. Please Cap, give us Ken players a 3-framer, that's it!

Overall, great Evo. I think this is one of the best ever, and certainly SFV's best tournament. It really shows if you get passed the derp of the 50/50, there is an incredible mind-game to be found here. I think defense still needs a buff, but SFV will be considered a classic in the end, as long as they keep improving.

kirblar

Finally some Karin backlash!
There are things about her damage output where I don't understand why she's designed the way she is. Like the ex uppercut move that lets you juggle with another ex copy of the exact same special then into the EX reversal. The whole "gets the equivalent of a super by spending 3 bars via different pathways" thing is silly when her supers already relatively easy to land.

Punk just happens to be the only guy max optimizing combos at every opportunity.

joe2187

Banned
Watching the crowd reactions I seen alot of hype during the Abigail reveal.

But reading through the thread, everyone seems to be shitting all over capcom retroactively for everything they've ever done.

And watching the crowd reaction for Cross tag battle, everyone seems to go bonkers when RWBY appeared, but the thread on it is all about shitting on the inclusion of RWBY in their "Pure" anime game.

Marvel

could never
I'm looking forward to fighting against Abigail myself, even though I have no desire to play him. No issues with his inclusion or his look.

His stage looks even slicker in motion. Can't wait to own it.

Watching the crowd reactions I seen alot of hype during the Abigail reveal.

But reading through the thread, everyone seems to be shitting all over capcom retroactively for everything they've ever done.

And watching the crowd reaction for Cross tag battle, everyone seems to go bonkers when RWBY appeared, but the thread on it is all about shitting on the inclusion of RWBY in their "Pure" anime game.

The internet lives in a bubble my dude. People will shit on things in a computer but when they get released into the wild they can't contain themselves. Something something sfv sucks something lmao something.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
EVO always does this to me...Gets me hyped for fighting games again.

Is SFV not terrible? I know I'm asking in the OT, but it's a question I figure you guys who play it regularly can weigh in on. Is it welcoming to newer players? I played some IV and enjoyed it, but got sidetracked from it due to PC issues. I know V got a LOT of hate when it first came out, but I'm curious if it's relatively well sorted out.

Abigails rapid uppercut animation definitely looks bad. It looks janky and low budget TBH.
Im still keen to see him in action though. I like some of his other animations. I like that he is so distinct, visually - and his counter/parry options seem interesting.
I have concerns about the stage too. The preview pic was beautiful, but...

...in the Abigail trailer, the stage is dark/at night time. I want that those pretty orange clouds. It just looks better. I hope the time of day changes between rounds. I want people in the background too. There should be other Mad Gear gang members there at least. I know some people dont like the low-poly people we see in some backgrounds, but stages are too lifeless without them.

ElFly

I'm looking forward to fighting Abigail myself, even though I have no desire to play him. No issues with his inclusion or his look.

His stage looks even slicker in motion. Can't wait to own it.

he looks interesting

on the other hand, may stick with Gief for the launch week for easy league points from all the people trying Abigail

ElFly

Abigails rapid uppercut animation definitely looks bad. It looks janky and low budget TBH.
Im still keen to see him in action though. I like some of his other animations. I like that he is so distinct, visually - and his counter/parry options seem interesting.
I have concerns about the stage too. The preview pic was beautiful, but...

...in the Abigail trailer, the stage is dark/at night time. I want that those pretty orange clouds. It just looks better. I hope the time of day changes between rounds. I want people in the background too. There should be other Mad Gear gang members there at least. I know some people dont like the low-poly people we see in some backgrounds, but stages are too lifeless without them.

eh, dunno. I love the brazil plaza, but I could also use a stage without all the background going ons

Top Bottom