• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Pompadour

EVO always does this to me...Gets me hyped for fighting games again.

Is SFV not terrible? I know I'm asking in the OT, but it's a question I figure you guys who play it regularly can weigh in on. Is it welcoming to newer players? I played some IV and enjoyed it, but got sidetracked from it due to PC issues. I know V got a LOT of hate when it first came out, but I'm curious if it's relatively well sorted out.

I don't think it's terrible. I think it's a pretty great game. I often forget that's how I feel until I actually play the game or watch an event like Evo due to the pervasive negativity. Like going into Evo I assumed that SFV would be boring to watch because that's what people parrot all the time. Even shit like how SFV is terribly balanced and then the common top 3 characters don't even appear in last night's Top 8 (which featured 9 different characters) calls into question if that's even true.

The matchmaking is much better now and only worse than IJ2, KI, and SG. The netcode is better than every other fighter than those three unless you're one of those people that really hate rollback. The game has way more content than at launch but I wouldn't say it's a good singleplayer fighting game (which I consider an oxymoron but whatever).

It's a really good game and it's easier to get into than SF4, definitely. Plus, most of the playerbase is in Bronze league so you'll easily find people around your level.

Called it Abigail will be joke char.

He looks cool , but his intro where he pretends to be a car is so weird.

He's definitely in that giant manchild archetype, which is fine. They made Hugo a little too dumb in SF4 which I wasn't fond of but with Abigail it's sold better because his fighting style is completely untrained. He's so oppressively strong he can fuck around like a little kid play fighting and devastate people.

MCD250

Tokido's been saying for a minute that he thinks Akuma is one of the best characters in the game. I've always seen him as kind of a struggle character. He can do a ton of damage if he uses his resources, but his stubby normals and the fact that they locked so many of his usual stuff behind V-Trigger (plus the fact that his V-Trigger runs out so quickly) had me doubting. Tokido definitely made him seem terrifying yesterday though.

https://twitter.com/SanfordKelly/status/886815405053952000

AZ62DcU.gif
giphy.gif

Finally some Karin backlash!
I don't understand how she keeps flying under the radar. Necalli too, but at least he doesn't get completely bonkers until he gets V-trigger.

900 health
Hmmm...nah, that's not much of a weakness.

High execution barrier to entry?
Yeah, this is somewhat of a thing, her most damaging stuff does take some practice, but it isn't that high. She is almost like S1 Chun at this point without IAL.

Sounds like it can be applied to Akuma as well. Like how many times have we've seen demon flips?
Yeah, but Akuma truly can DIE so easily. Especially with a character like Gief, or even a Cammy hitting you with 2 combo. Karin doesn't go down like that. And again, her game isn't so heavily reliant on mix-up like Akuma is, she can space the crap out of you, press her st.lk over and over again (or a tick throw from it) and control space with her HK and max. distance sweep (super hard to punish).

Cammy and Karin are my worse matchups as Ken because they basically have to show no respect. But at least with Cammy, I get what she's doing, "Get in and attempt to kill me!" Maybe, if I'm good enough, I can make them make some mistakes on the way of doing that. Karin can hang back, zone you with normals, get through FB with an ex move, save super for big damage, use meter for big damage, comeback potential with Trigger stuff, oh, and it's 2-bars so she can get it twice in the round!

It just hit me recently, she's not broken, but man, wtf make everyone like her Capcom and stop nerfing.

mbpm1

Also, please give Ken a 3-frame normal that isn't a special. I think with that one change, he could compete with top tier so much better, along with St. HK 12 frames instead of the awful slow 14. Seeing Tokido check dashes with jabs and his st.mk was so beautiful, but I'm not confident enough to play with the glass cannon himself. Please Cap, give us Ken players a 3-framer, that's it!
i never thought the glass cannon aspect was that much of a problem. He could always do it.

You get 3 mistakes only with a lot of the cast, not just akuma , even when he had 875

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I don't think it's terrible. I think it's a pretty great game. I often forget that's how I feel until I actually play the game or watch an event like Evo due to the pervasive negativity. Like going into Evo I assumed that SFV would be boring to watch because that's what people parrot all the time. Even shit like how SFV is terribly balanced and then the common top 3 characters don't even appear in last night's Top 8 (which featured 9 different characters) calls into question if that's even true.

The matchmaking is much better now and only worse than IJ2, KI, and SG. The netcode is better than every other fighter than those three unless you're one of those people that really hate rollback. The game has way more content than at launch but I wouldn't say it's a good singleplayer fighting game (which I consider an oxymoron but whatever).

It's a really good game and it's easier to get into than SF4, definitely. Plus, most of the playerbase is in Bronze league so you'll easily find people around your level.

Thanks for the response. Great to hear that it's easier to get into than SFIV. IV was fun, but there was an execution hurdle that really kept me from making much progress beyond super casual play.

I did notice watching EVO how diverse the matches were. I'm used to seeing the same characters in matches, so it was really refreshing to see NOT a bunch of Ryu and Chun-Li matches.

I'll probably pick it up and then see if any EVO fightstick sales are still going on.

joe2187

Banned
Called it Abigail will be joke char.

He looks cool , but his intro where he pretends to be a car is so weird.

I love it, did you notice that all of his costumes have him wearing tires? dude dreams of being a truck.

He's definitely in that giant manchild archetype, which is fine. They made Hugo a little too dumb in SF4 which I wasn't fond of but with Abigail it's sold better because his fighting style is completely untrained. He's so oppressively strong he can fuck around like a little kid play fighting and devastate people.

Hugo wanted to grow up to be a potato.....

VariantX

Abigails rapid uppercut animation definitely looks bad. It looks janky and low budget TBH.
Im still keen to see him in action though. I like some of his other animations. I like that he is so distinct, visually - and his counter/parry options seem interesting.
I have concerns about the stage too. The preview pic was beautiful, but...

...in the Abigail trailer, the stage is dark/at night time. I want that those pretty orange clouds. It just looks better. I hope the time of day changes between rounds. I want people in the background too. There should be other Mad Gear gang members there at least. I know some people dont like the low-poly people we see in some backgrounds, but stages are too lifeless without them.

It changes time of day in Final fight. Starts out at night and by the time you reach Abigail, it's at sunrise.

The year is 2020. At SFV's final EVO, Japanese and American players team up to topple three-time consecutive EVO champion lucebuce12, who's taken the world by storm with his legendary Unbeatable Weirdo Triad of FANG, Birdie and Abigail.

Their efforts will be in vain.
Just need to get a sponsorship in the next 6 months I suppose. Maybe I can take Big Bird's!

I've already claimed him leave him be!
Just for you, I'll make him a sub instead of a main.

Knew you'd like him xD
:)

Karin still can't aa worth shit unless you are someone like Punk or want to spend meter. The clean spacing takes work, and even then you can check her like Tokido was doing. She's good but she takes tons of effort to use her best qualities, I think.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, there's a reason only Punk is strong with her, it's not easy. And 900 health not being a weakness is an...interesting...opinion to say the least lol

Just looked it up and there are 3 Karins in top 64: Punk, Justin (both also used a secondary character) and Kusanagi, so yeah...

"Karin has no weakness"

except for low health, poor AA options without meter, a pretty mediocre VT, and being one of the only characters in the game that actually requires some execution for her tools

and she has some struggling matchups against the likes of birdie and gief

"Karin has no weakness"

except for low health, poor AA options without meter, a pretty mediocre VT, and being one of the only characters in the game that actually requires some execution for her tools

and she has some struggling matchups against the likes of birdie and gief
I'm sure this is nonsense.

1) You get meter super fast
2) Have you never heard of AA jab?
3) Nothing mediocre about a V-trigger that makes already safe buttons even more safe and gives combo potential

Low health, and harder execution. Disagree on the rest of your assessment. Fundamentally, she doesn't have a lot of weaknesses, and controls space better than most of the zoners in the game lol. And everyone has trouble with Birdie and Grief, they have command grabs and great normals lol. Classic 50/50 no matter your character really.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry, but if you advertise Karin's anti-air jab as a pro, then you've never played her. It has its uses, but it's not a generally good anti-air at all.

ElFly

Abby better have some damn good fucking normals.

wonder how will he balanced. it won't make sense if he doesn't have at least 1050 life. prolly 1100. and he should hit hard, and he seems to have decent reach

gonna guess those slow attacks have literal seconds of recovery

mbpm1

wonder how will he balanced. it won't make sense if he doesn't have at least 1050 life. prolly 1100. and he should hit hard, and he seems to have decent reach

gonna guess those slow attacks have literal seconds of recovery
Birdie has all of these factors and doesn't seem op for it

He doesn't need to be significantly slower. That said I bet some of those jump attacks will be like -23 on block like Hugo

I'm sure this is nonsense.

1) You get meter super fast
2) Have you never heard of AA jab?
3) Nothing mediocre about a V-trigger that makes already safe buttons even more safe and gives combo potential

Low health, and harder execution. Disagree on the rest of your assessment. Fundamentally, she doesn't have a lot of weaknesses, and controls space better than most of the zoners in the game lol. And everyone has trouble with Birdie and Grief, they have command grabs and great normals lol. Classic 50/50 no matter your character really.
Meter gain does not change that she struggles to AA without it. I dare you to try her AA jab against some of the cast (rog comes to mind) and EVER connecting, go ahead. And her V-Trig does not make her buttons even more safe lol, she can end up putting herself in a mixup as a result and against some of the cast using your VT is 99% a free super for them.

mbpm1

St hp, st jab, ex meter and most importantly, spacing can make up for a lot of her aa deficiencies I think. I dunno if she's really that bad though. Fuck Karin tho

St hp, st jab, ex meter and most importantly, spacing can make up for a lot of her aa deficiencies I think. I dunno if she's really that bad though. Fuck Karin tho
She's not bad at all, she's a damn solid high/top tier, but she's not flawless lol. Cammy has a better rounded set of tools.

Meter gain does not change that she struggles to AA without it. I dare you to try her AA jab against some of the cast (rog comes to mind) and EVER connecting, go ahead. And her V-Trig does not make her buttons even more safe lol, she can end up putting herself in a mixup as a result and against some of the cast using your VT is 99% a free super for them.
That's a specified character though with crazy range on his jumping attacks. Majority of the cast AA jabs works well in a number of situations. I'm not even arguing it's not a weakness, but it's not a big deal in this game when you get meter so quickly, that's the point. And I know her actual Trigger is 'fake' pressure, you can jab through it after the first hit, it's not crazy fast etc...But you are talking about the mix-up potential, and how that's mediocre compared to someone like Urien or Mika.

First off, she's gets in 2 bars. Has super great hit confirms she can fish with, like st.HK. I've seen Justin Wong do this move 4 times in a row fishing lol. st.HK is -4 and if you cancels on block with trigger you're telling me Karin is more negative? That's news to me.

ElFly

Birdie has all of these factors and doesn't seem op for it

He doesn't need to be significantly slower. That said I bet some of those jump attacks will be like -23 on block like Hugo

dunno; Abigail seems p liberal with the armor moves, even without meter

that may cut through the pressure happy SFV cast like a hot knife through butter

then again, maybe everyone can just combo the fuck out of him more easily

That's a specified character though with crazy range on his jumping attacks. Majority of the cast AA jabs works well in a number of situations. I'm not even arguing it's not a weakness, but it's not a big deal in this game when you get meter so quickly, that's the point. And I know her actual Trigger is 'fake' pressure, you can jab through it after the first hit, it's not crazy fast etc...But you are talking about the mix-up potential, and how that's mediocre compared to someone like Urien or Mika.

First off, she's gets in 2 bars. Has super great hit confirms she can fish with, like st.HK. I've seen Justin Wong do this move 4 times in a row fishing lol. st.HK is -4 and if you cancels on block with trigger you're telling me Karin is more negative? That's news to me.
How is it mediocre compared to Urien or Mika? Well, when they put you in their VT mixer they're in a position that keeps them safe as well, just wasting a VT if they fail. If Karin messes up she gets punished, and there are situations where the odds are more stacked in the favour of the defender (like certain characters with full meter). Most VT activations will put you at an advantage so that's a moot point, it's kind of the go-to with VT activations.

mbpm1

dunno; Abigail seems p liberal with the armor moves, even without meter

that may cut through the pressure happy SFV cast like a hot knife through butter

then again, maybe everyone can just combo the fuck out of him more easily
The armor moves will be like -16 on block and easily punishable. If there are counter moves they will be counter hit table on startup and recovery and have a 30 frame plus window like everyone else.
He won't have a 3 frame move and will eat careful pressure all day

ElFly

The armor moves will be like -16 on block and easily punishable. If there are counter moves they will be counter hit table on startup and recovery and have a 30 frame plus window like everyone else.
He won't have a 3 frame move and will eat careful pressure all day

tru, tru

it'd be funny if they give him a 5 frame jab

get grabbed all day

How is it mediocre compared to Urien or Mika? Well, when they put you in their VT mixer they're in a position that keeps them safe as well, just wasting a VT if they fail. If Karin messes up she gets punished, and there are situations where the odds are more stacked in the favour of the defender (like certain characters with full meter). Most VT activations will put you at an advantage so that's a moot point, it's kind of the go-to with VT activations.
You answered it lol...We're just arguments specifics at this point though, not really disagreeing. I just think Karin is a bit too good lol. Weaknesses aren't weak enough. In a game where S1 Chun and Ryu were considered too strong, I think she could be nerfed a bit is my stance on her.

You answered it lol...We're just arguments specifics at this point though, not really disagreeing. I just think Karin is a bit too good lol. Weaknesses aren't weak enough. In a game where S1 Chun and Ryu were considered too strong, I think she could be nerfed a bit is my stance on her.
I know I answered it, I was just reiterating your question. :p

The thing with S1 Chun was that she had options for damn near everything and had some stupid pressure options as well (and Ryu was cut down for no good reason as far as I'm concerned), but it's kind of a weird target to paint on Karin when the likes of Necalli and Cammy and others are around and have less in terms of problems (though I wouldn't say either of them need nerfs either).

Really all this game needs is some buffs for certain characters and some kind of nerf for Rog because FUCK Rog holy shit.

mbpm1

Listen I'm just salty because of that unblockable stomp (shut up, it's unblockable, it can't be blocked, it hits every time) into 60% VT corner carry UNGA BUNGA ASFIOJASOIFJSAOJFKL
I think I hate Laura more ATM. At least you can react to some of his 5050s
As opposed to "everything is a tick throw or cc setup into the same thing"

I know I answered it, I was just reiterating your question. :p

The thing with S1 Chun was that she had options for damn near everything and had some stupid pressure options as well (and Ryu was cut down for no good reason as far as I'm concerned), but it's kind of a weird target to paint on Karin when the likes of Necalli and Cammy and others are around and have less in terms of problems (though I wouldn't say either of them need nerfs either).

Really all this game needs is some buffs for certain characters and some kind of nerf for Rog because FUCK Rog holy shit.
Oh yeah, I was just focused on Karin because Punk is dominating this year. Cammy and Necali IMO are equal to S1 Ryu, so yeah, I agree. I don't get who the final group of balance guys are at Capcom that go 'Yup, these guys are balanced" and let Necalli walk out the door with that ridiculous jab and 'rest of the round trigger'. Like seriously, WHAT IN THE FOOK is up with his dash? Impossible to react to online, maybe pro guys deal with it better off?

Balrog is tough. I know from personal experience you can handle him (and Bison) better in an offline environment because it's easier to react to. As much as I hate them, I do think he is kinda ok, just maybe a slight damage nerf. His stomp is crazy good too lol I agree.

I can deal with the cast offline. Like I played a friend and his Balrog, and that dude got mopped up with my shitty Akuma despite being way higher than me.

We played a set online and somehow he's a damn god.

Online and offline are truly two different landscapes.

eh, dunno. I love the brazil plaza, but I could also use a stage without all the background going ons

Fair enough. Ryu's upcoming SF2 stage will likely be lifeless too - with the exception of a few birds flying about in the distant background.

It changes time of day in Final fight. Starts out at night and by the time you reach Abigail, it's at sunrise.

Yeah, I remember that. I'd be very suprized if that happened in SFV though.

MCD250

They can do day/night stage variations.

I agree that the FF stage looks better in the day than at night. Like Kanzuki Estate.

Tokido's mental fortitude is incredible. One of the best top 8's ever in Street Fighter.

w5Pw5Vk.gif

6X5DZRe.gif
That taunt combo to end the round was so unnecessary, heh.

Managed to watch top 8 today as I wasnt staying up to watch it lol (UK here). Was really great and exciting to watch. Don't understand the people that claim SFV boring to watch and not well balenced. 9 different characters used and full of exciting moments. While he lost, that comeback round by Du was something crazy. And that final against punk was awesome. Tokido got right in Punks head and basically destroyed him in the second set. Loved it. Felt a bit sorry for punk as being young you could tell it hit him harder but Tokido's Akuma is something else. I also very much enjoyed watching Itabashi. He Geif is scary as hell and the guy just seems to have tons of fun win or lose.

As for Abigail i kinda loved his reveal. The predending to drive a car and all his goofyness gives him tons of personallity. Totally shows he is all muscle and no technique in a lot of his moves. Same goes for the rapid uppercuts. Really felt like a call back to FF era animations and adds to his no technique style.

While I doubt I will use him much I am looking forward to trying him out.

Top Bottom