• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

I forgot how satisfying it to hit people with a Demon in this game. Finally made it back to Ultra platinum after being stuck in Super platinum hell from trying out Ed. Getting back in the groove.

sixghost

Can someone explain how Itazan caught Tokido twice with the normal throw whiff -> EX Air SPD setup?

I remember trying it back when Itazan first started using it, and it seemed like the defending player could easily beat the air SPD with an air normal. Is there another layer to the setup that made Tokido not press a button during his neutral jump?

Pompadour

BriskSpecificBrownbear.gif

This guy literally breaks the ground when he punches you down.

Man, they desperately need a ground bounce animation in this game. It would be perfect here.

MCD250

Can someone explain how Itazan caught Tokido twice with the normal throw whiff -> EX Air SPD setup?

I remember trying it back when Itazan first started using it, and it seemed like the defending player could easily beat the air SPD with an air normal. Is there another layer to the setup that made Tokido not press a button during his neutral jump?
There was at least one occasion when Itazan caught him that you saw the "Counter" notification pop up, which means Tokido did try to press a button but Itazan caught him first.

At a guess, Tokido was trying to punish Itazan's whiffed throw with an air normal followed by a combo, and he pressed the air normal late to give himself maximum frame advantage on the way down, but he didn't expect Itazan to jump after him and grab him in the air.

I was watching today's NJPW G1 Climax, and Kenny Omega just said "Tokido, congratulations! I love you, my friend" during his intro to the stage.

Kenny Omega is like the best fucking person ever.

ElFly

maybe tokido expected the land SPD and waited so he could do a jump in on the way down? did he jump neutral? don't remember this

air spd has a huge hitbox that extends from the front gief's head, so it's easy to grab people in the air, almost regardless of relative height of the jump

JusDoIt

I don't like the goofy aesthetic. I'll probably buy him anyway.

I think Street Fighter is always gonna err on the side of goofy for as long as Ono is producing it.

I would prefer the tone to shift closer to 3S, but 7 years of SFIV tempered my expectations of that happening anytime soon.

Devid905

I'm curious to see how certain stage transitions will affect Abigail. Like, in the China stage, instead of being seated in the back of the bus, I assume he'll knock over the entire bus down. lol.

ElFly

I think Street Fighter is always gonna err on the side of goofy for as long as Ono is producing it.

I would prefer the tone to shift closer to 3S, but 7 years of SFIV tempered my expectations of that happening anytime soon.

ah yeah, good old 3S, the serious street fighter for the serious man

I run into a 2.5 meter tall roided up dude who wears tires as armbands and acts like a child? You bet your ass I'm bailing the fuck outta there immediately.

image.php

ah, vegeta, how low have you've fallen

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

I guess I wanted a menacing character akin to Juggs in CotA. It is what it is I guess.

ElFly

I think Abigail being a big doofus is fine; a Juggernaut-like character may have been cool too, though

feel they overdid the seriousness with Ed. maybe they should have kept slim kid Ed, and dialed a little the doofiness on Abigail

Pompadour

I'm curious to see how certain stage transitions will affect Abigail. Like, in the China stage, instead of being seated in the back of the bus, I assume he'll knock over the entire bus down. lol.

I'm curious what he'll look like being thrown. Hugo already looked kind of good when he was thrown and he wasn't Abigail huge.

mbpm1

Sf was never that srs

I run into a 2.5 meter tall roided up dude who wears tires as armbands and acts like a child? You bet your ass I'm bailing the fuck outta there immediately.
Yeah, but he could be more. I want him to step on someone in his intro and crush him into the ground and not even notice. That kinda thing

ElFly

Super Turbo was the last "serious" Street Fighter game tbh.

yeah

people had less extreme physiques (Sagat particularly) and Blanka still looked beast-like. the designs were over the top and ridiculous, but the actual sprites looked less cartoonish than the later Alpha, and didn't have the goofiness of some of the 3 series characters

People have the worst fucking memory.

Street Fighter has always been ridiculous. It was just always sprites so the ridiculousness could just be passed off easily as it had a "cartoonish" look.

Ken's jab is extremely easy to confirm into combo/CA, so would it be fair to make it 3 frames? His c.lk also combos into super though that takes a lot more skill to confirm.

Maybe c.lp could be 3 frames? Ken's standing jab seems pretty good because on block it can be followed up with a throw or a frametrap b.mp (though that's hard to confirm off of) and on hit you can do a ton of damage and corner carry.

I don't know, I'm not smart enough at SF to do this balance work. What move are you envisioning as 3f and what would the repercussions be for his existing combos? If they took away the ability to link jab and target combo, I'd be finished. Back to bronze league in a day.
yeah I would say c.lp to be his 3 frame normal. Mostly for checking with. It really improves your defense and Ken seems the odd shoto not having one. I know in the beta it caused problems with his run creating an infinite I believe but that's poor design then if they can't give him a good jab without breaking his movesets.

@Edzi I don't play Ken dumb at all, I don't get why people assume that online Ken play is the standard, that hardly gets you anywhere in real matches anyway besides Eita controlled crazy. Wanting his HK to no be slow as molasses and a 3 frame jab is reasonable buffs IMO.

MCD250

Street Fighter has always been ridiculous. It was just always sprites so the ridiculousness could just be passed off easily as it had a "cartoonish" look.
Yeah.

And as soon as the sprites and animation started to get more detailed (around Alpha), you really started seeing that goofiness shine through. Alpha itself actually had a relatively dark storyline (with Ryu's struggles with the Satsui No Hado, Charlie's betrayal and murder, etc.) but it was also the series that introduced jokey folks like Sakura and Dan, as well as the series' anime aesthetic and Saturday morning cartoon plot devices like Bison's psycho drive. The whole thing was generally fairly lighthearted.

Man, Alpha was the best.

Lulubop

SF1 was all business, that's why it's the best. Cacpcom knew how to make characters then, all went downhill with those goofy characters like Blanka and Sim in 2. Smh

Teh Lurv

Except for that one time Capcom tried going for the serious look:

AC_SF_Movie_Gameplay.png

We all know how that went.

ElFly

Except for that one time Capcom tried going for the serious look:

AC_SF_Movie_Gameplay.png

We all know how that went.

why do these people have such tiny hands

I ain't say 3S was serious. There's plenty goofiness in 3S. It just had a better tonal balance compared to the following Street Fighters.

dunno man

going by the endings alone, it is the goofiest one. MAYBE except Alpha 3. Maybe. and the boss was a guy painted blue and red who was wanted for stealing a car, but who ALSO wanted to create the utopia

3S in tone is all over the place

at least when Bison is the villain, people want to kill him for his evil ways, not because he will paint you red and blue or because he nicked your car

MCD250

When you think about it, it actually is kind of hilarious that Gill just straight up carjacked Dudley.

I've been watching some sets from last night, and man. Forever in awe of Kazunoko's ability to space his divekicks so that he can always combo from them afterward. I'm not sure he's the best Cammy in the world (though I had a good feeling that he could beat Nuckledu), but things like that plus his godly normal pressure make him so fun to watch.

mbpm1

When you think about it, it actually is kind of hilarious that Gill just straight up carjacked Dudley.

I've been watching some sets from last night, and man. Forever in awe of Kazunoko's ability to space his divekicks so that he can always combo from them afterward. I'm not sure he's the best Cammy in the world (though I had a good feeling that he could beat Nuckledu), but things like that plus his godly normal pressure make him so fun to watch.
Too bad when he fought tokido he spaced his divekicks high up on tokidos body and was blocked and fully punished

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yeah.

And as soon as the sprites and animation started to get more detailed (around Alpha), you really started seeing that goofiness shine through. Alpha itself actually had a relatively dark storyline (with Ryu's struggles with the Satsui No Hado, Charlie's betrayal and murder, etc.) but it was also the series that introduced jokey folks like Sakura and Dan, as well as the series' anime aesthetic and Saturday morning cartoon plot devices like Bison's psycho drive. The whole thing was generally fairly lighthearted.

Man, Alpha was the best.

Alpha was indeed the best. Thoroughly disagree with some of your points. The goofiness didnt 'shine through' in alpha. It was a small piece of the whole presentation. It worked well because the designers knew where the line was. There was plenty of darkness in the alpha games. The reason it worked so well was because there was a general aesthetic that balanced it all out. The real triumph of alpha was that it struck a fine line.

LakeEarth

Tokido was moving forward to force the divekick to hit higher. He really was playing on another level last night.

Yeah, whenever I see Cammy jump, my instinct is to backdash away. Somehow have to train myself to do the exact opposite and walk forward.

ElFly

Alpha was indeed the best. Thoroughly disagree with some of your points. The goofiness didnt 'shine through' in alpha. It was a small piece of the whole presentation. It worked well because the designers knew where the line was. There was plenty of darkness in the alpha games. The reason it worked so well was because there was a general aesthetic that balanced it all out. The real triumph of alpha was that it struck a fine line.

Alpha 1 and 2 have a p clear aesthetic: anime

Alpha 3 also has a p clear aesthetic: gag anime

Top Bottom