• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

mbpm1

Hopefully they can give us defensive options and a new trigger. And maybe make your poison matter more.

Watching vespers breakdown of Abby is weird. He's has a lot of odd shit but in a good way. His hk let's him roll and avoid shit. He can juggle off a lot of his moves. That back throw is so long it's almost sleezy. And that health is gonna let him trigger twice probably.

abby's cr hk reminds me of birdie's slide but more so

unsafe but quick forward moving low

SephLuis

Hopefully they can give us defensive options and a new trigger. And maybe make your poison matter more.

I don't think characters need a new VT, what many of them need is:

- New attacks (either normals or specials)
- More uses for V-Skill
- New CA
- An overhaul on the frame data and damage
- Defensive option using the VT bar (either make V-Reversal more reliable for everyone or make something like a burst from GG/BB that you can use once)

If you look at the DLC characters, many of them already have these tools. Akuma has two CAs, many uses for his v-skill for example. Balrog has an insane amount of options on his attacks due how his specials work.

Looking at Ryu/Chun Li for example, it's clear that they cut options they would have initially and these characters now need them back.

S1 Chun was strong, but not abusive. S2 Chun stagnated completely. Not because of they changed her damage or frame data, but her tools are so limited that her game play did not evolved in S2. She (and many of the original characters) need a new set of tools so that they can develop new game plans and make the overall game more interesting.

For currently weak DLC characters (Alex and Juri), at least regarding Juri, I don't feel she need new tools, she needs adjustments on the tools she already has. It would be a very, very long list explaining everything she needs to become well rounded (there's a 30 minute video on YT explaining almost everything), but the important thing is that she wouldn't need new things to become viable.

I doubt that Capcom doesn't know this and I sure hope they deliver this in S3, but I admit I'm worried.

kikiribu

lol so Mike Ross and Gootecks are just not gonna play SFV anymore during Excellent Adventures?
After that one cringeworthy video where Mike Ross looked legit depressed and suicidal about eSports, I'd rather they not. The community doesn't need that bad energy.

MrCarter

Calm down with the shilling, you're in a safe space.

V-triggered! Takes one to know one and it seems we have a few Tekken shills in here ;)

I obviously said it in jest as I remembered that awful MvCi "bomba" thread on gaming side. I think the pre-orders were discounted or something but what was funny to me was that Splatoon 2 had a similar discount yet it was a great thing lol.

That's why I said Tekken 7 = BOMBAA?!

/s

Well, them revamping the VTs and giving them a secondary allows them to expand character's gameplans, allow them to deal with matchups better, and hopefully diversfy their toolset.

New CAs aren't going to help too much, as the application will be similar to what we have no w unless they do drastically different things. V-Skills in general just need to be more useful for characters. Some VTs are flat out useless, some aren't able to be used enough, and some aren't able to be used in all matchups like BIson's which limit their gameplans and "fun"

The framedata is, for the most part, fine. I'd extend a few normals for each character and fix guys like Ed and definitely Alex.

Damage I don't feel is an issue. But because you don't have defensive option, that shit goes crazy.

They added more moves to characters, and while they did nerf Chun, Ryu, and a few others, most of the cast is still usable. I'm not too worried. The only thing I'm worried about is that the defensive options or alterations are going to make things easier for top tier characters if they can escape pressure better. And changing white life messes with dudes like Bison, who just became viable. If he got that teleport, it'd definitely help though.

mbpm1

After that one cringeworthy video where Mike Ross looked legit depressed and suicidal about eSports, I'd rather they not. The community doesn't need that bad energy.

it was just a joke bro

or was it

it probably wasn't

ironmang

lol so Mike Ross and Gootecks are just not gonna play SFV anymore during Excellent Adventures?

Seems like a bad move since I assume that's why they still have followers. SFV overall was a huge step down from 4 though as far as fitting that show's format. Plus Mike Ross clearly isn't having fun even if it's just a few hours a month of footage.

Could be good for another game's community though if they're able to get them that exposure.

Mizerman

Everyone has infinite triggers pls

Abigail can look like his trailer version and Kolin can freeze the world like storm

I wonder what would happen if they added a "Infinite V-Trigger" option for all the characters down the line. Just optional.

...I don't know if that would be a good thing or bad thing.

Marvel

could never
I like the way you think
i3ws6cgo

We should get Ultimate Arts that use 100% CA and VT. They all do incredibly stupid damage and stun.

Gief's is just an instant kill, because why not, since you can't really top his CA in terms of damage.

Akuma's should be the frame 0 SGS, like what he has at point blank, but from full screen.

Juri's should permanently delete her moveset data and import her moves from SFIV.

I played a bunch of USFIV at a party today and boy, anyone who complains about SFV's damage doesn't remember IV very well. Sakura can get 30% and a reset off of a crouching light kick (which also leads into EITHER of her Ultras if they're stocked) and Abel has a nearly 50% combo off of a jump-in. Ultras as a comeback mechanic are so much less fun than V-Triggers too; at least with V-Triggers you have to actually confirm in order to get big damage rather than just sitting on an immensely powerful invincible reversal for half the match.

Idk, after going back to it for a few extended play sessions I still feel like SFIV is my least-favourite mainline SF game. Incredible roster aside, it feels so stiff and lifeless compared to most other titles in the franchise.

Mizerman

You can do that in training mode right now!

But Sir Posterior Devourer, what happen if you can do that outside of training? Madness...madness, I say.

I played a bunch of USFIV at a party today and boy, anyone who complains about SFV's damage doesn't remember IV very well. Sakura can get 30% and a reset off of a crouching light kick (which also leads into EITHER of her Ultras if they're stocked) and Abel has a nearly 50% combo off of a jump-in. Ultras as a comeback mechanic are so much less fun than V-Triggers too; at least with V-Triggers you have to actually confirm in order to get big damage rather than just sitting on an immensely powerful invincible reversal for half the match.

Idk, after going back to it for a few extended play sessions I still feel like SFIV is my least-favourite mainline SF game. Incredible roster aside, it feels so stiff and lifeless compared to most other titles in the franchise.

SF4 remains the one mainline SF I don't miss all too much. I mean, I can appreciate what it did for SF, but I can never bring myself to play it again. It's just...boring.

Hyun Sai

V-Triggers are totally safe even if you miss the confirm though. That's why people are throwing Normals + V-Trigger in the wind. If it lands, big damage. If blocked, you're safe anyway. With Utras you're screwed if you miss or baited, so that's a true risk / reward.

I have countless things to criticize in SFIV, but Utras ain't one of them.

SF4 remains the one mainline SF I don't miss all too much. I mean, I can appreciate what it did for SF, but I can never bring myself to play it again. It's just...boring.

Pretty much. I'll admit that high-level SFIV is still fun to watch (well. outside of Elena mirrors at least), but it's the game from which I derive the least pleasure while playing.

MrCarter

Ultras were the worst thing to happen to the franchise and one the worst comeback mechanics in fighting games IMO. It was even worse when they linked Elena's "HEAALING!" to that nonsense.

mbpm1

regardless, Juri ain't nothing compared

although i guess that's true for most characters that came back barring some good ones like birdie and mika and alex

Ryce

I just hate that Juri lost the two moves that best expressed her personality, the counter and Ultra II. Her dive kick was also cool.

MCD250

Speaking of IV, one cue I wish V would take from IV is the combo potential. IV was super heavy on combos, more so than most SF games, but it's a really fun aspect of the game.

I think increasing everybody's combo ability (accompanied perhaps by a slight damage and especially stun reduction across the board) would go a long ways towards making the game feel more fun.

mbpm1

Speaking of IV, one cue I wish V would take from IV is the combo potential. IV was super heavy on combos, more so than most SF games, but it's a really fun aspect of the game.

I think increasing everybody's combo ability (accompanied perhaps by a slight damage and especially stun reduction across the board) would go a long ways towards making the game feel more fun.

I feel like we've been having this conversation point since march 2016 lol

i still agree with it tho

ShinMaruku

Whoa I think that's the first time I've seen that Juri super. Says everything about how much of an impact SFxT had really.
After it's revamp it was very good. And the supers were all very good in this game. Hell Akuma's is some shit

I'd rather see a SFxT revival than USFIV.

The only thing I want from USFIV in SFV is Poison, Ibuki's missing moves and Cammys original air throw.
We can hope we get something like that. Loved sfxt.

Funny enough I was playing SFxT far more than I did with SF4 overall. The Tekken characters were so fun to play as.
The Tekken cast was carried over really well and the tone of the game was what fit Namco and Capcom the best, it was silly and them having fun.

I don't think characters need a new VT, what many of them need is:

- New attacks (either normals or specials)

Well, that's exactly what V Skills are. It's just an extra special move that every character has that happens to be called their V-skill. We went through 7 years of SF4 where nobody got a real legit new special move(shit like Tiger Scar don't count). I'm begging for new V-Skills because I'm actually just begging for a new special move. For example just make Ryu's new V-Skill his donkey kick. It'll be a carbon copy of Ibuki and Karin's V-Skill. Tap MK/MP to get the faster version that's -5 on block or charge it for a slower version that's safe on block and can also crush counter into a wall bounce to pay some homage to his SF3 version.

Looking at Ryu/Chun Li for example, it's clear that they cut options they would have initially and these characters now need them back.

Agreed, Ryu got fucking hammered. Even I thought it wasn't that bad at first, but the more I played the more I realized just how bad it was. If the point was to keep everybody strong and just take away BS then they should have just nerfed his j. LK and called it a day. But having his damage/stun reduced, his normals worsened, and removing his ability to pressure from his throw and V reversal was devastating for him.

I have no idea what they were thinking when they did all this. I want throw loops gone, but if any character needs a throw loop than it's Ryu. What they did give back was no where near enough to compensate since all they actually did was just revert a couple of nerfs. I'm really hoping S3 brings about some good changes to the game and does a better job of taking care of weaker characters.

ironmang

I just wish they'd so something about wakeup options. Currently it's pretty depressing to watch someone get thrown 3 times in a row whereas it used to be rarer and more exciting.

mbpm1

I just wish they'd so something about wakeup options. Currently it's pretty depressing to watch someone get thrown 3 times in a row whereas it used to be rarer and more exciting.

throw loops in the corner are hype, especially when ken's doing it!

Kappa

Numb

It's hilarious seeing someone get thrown 5 times in a row at the corner

Top Bottom