• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

mbpm1

Hold up I must have misinterpreted the numbers then. It said 271k and then 216k on twitch combined. But above that it says 5 mill.

Hold up I must have misinterpreted the numbers then. It said 271k and then 216k on twitch combined. But above that it says 5 mill.

5 million UNIQUE viewers through out the whole top 8. Even people who watched for 5 seconds before changing the stream/channel counts as unique.

The highest number of people that were watching the top 8 at the same time was 500k.

Pompadour

Cross post from gaming.

https://capcomprotour.com/street-fighter-v-evo-2017-finals-viewership-ever-fgc-event/

gucoyXa.gif

I'm more excited about the comments a positive thread about SFV on Gaming will bring.
OilyShoddyGrayling-size_restricted.gif

mbpm1

5 million UNIQUE viewers through out the whole top 8. Even people who watched for 5 seconds before changing the stream/channel counts as unique.

The highest number of people that were watching the top 8 at the same time was 500k.
Oh, that's where I got the number from.

Probably less impressive than it seems, but still great

This is so goddamn satisfying. Chris T is delusional about his Ken play to the point where he constantly claims to share Momochi's playstyle, so it's nice to see him get smoked by the man himself.
Chris T is no Momochi, but he's solid, I've had sets with him in USF4, good player. He also does complain a lot, but I do think when a character is good, how good they are is always overblown. Like Ken was good in S1, but some of his nerfs really scream out 'pleasing the complainers" like EX tatsu being stuff so easily, IMO, that comes from so many people saying "Ken's tatsu needs to be nerf, so cheap so cheap!"

It goes both ways too. Alex and Ryu should be straight up garbage tier can't do anything with them. And yet Gunfight and now a no. of Ryu's are Master rank and owning high level players.

So yeah, I'm not going to give anyone a hard time who complains, we all do it.

Chris T is no Momochi, but he's solid, I've had sets with him in USF4, good player. He also does complain a lot, but I do think when a character is good, how good they are is always overblown. Like Ken was good in S1, but some of his nerfs really scream out 'pleasing the complainers" like EX tatsu being stuff so easily, IMO, that comes from so many people saying "Ken's tatsu needs to be nerf, so cheap so cheap!"

It goes both ways too. Alex and Ryu should be straight up garbage tier can't do anything with them. And yet Gunfight and now a no. of Ryu's are Master rank and owning high level players.

Ken players really do live in a weird world.

To be fair, a lot of jump in attacks were nerfed in S2, not just Ken. Cammy's reg/ex divekicks, Ryu j.LK, Chun air legs, Ken light/ex tatsu, Necalli VT j.HP (didn't make a goddamn difference)

Ken players really do live in a weird world.
oh, let me guess... You think Ken's EX tatsu is now properly balanced?

That's my point, when a character is good, it's overblown how good they are. Chun, Ryu, Nash changes all speak to this point stronger than S1 Ken does.

His RH tatsu was derp, it was too hard to hit with a normal AA because it changed his trajectory too much. EX tatsu I'm using meter, and taking a risk to get in. It is literally one of the few ways for Ken to get in on characters with superior normals. It's not even a problem that its now negative, the move just doesn't have good priority. When that's not the case for other characters who use the exact same move to get in. Urien, Cammy being good examples.

@ Count, yeah, but Cammy's and Urien's is still better. Cammy's is just way faster and harder to counter or react to, and Urien's just has better priority. I think it was overkill, just like Nash and Ryu nerfs.

mbpm1

I give it 100 posts before it devolves in to talking about sales, how EVO doesn't matter, arcade mode, and bringing up IJ2.
No way it will take 100 posts. It won't leave the first page before people start saying it doesn't deserve those views, all those viewers were idiots who would recognize a good game like Catherine, and so on

Skilletor

No way it will take 100 posts. It won't leave the first page before people start saying it doesn't deserve those views, all those viewers were idiots who would recognize a good game like Catherine, and so on

I gave myself a buffer since it already had 20 posts. Look like 34 is the lucky number and it'll be downhill from there!

@ Count, yeah, but Cammy's and Urien's is still better. Cammy's is just way faster and harder to counter or react to, and Urien's just has better priority. I think it was overkill, just like Nash and Ryu nerfs.

Yea I have no idea why they kept Urien's ex knee drop so strong while they nerfed everyone elses lol.

Oh man, I love everything about Abigail's design and his hard-hitting moveset but I'm terrible with him. I've gone from ~9800LP to ~5000 since picking him up! Feels great to armour through fools, though!

I'll need to invest some into learning how to pressure with him after a knockdown.

Yea I have no idea why they kept Urien's ex knee drop so strong while they nerfed everyone elses lol.
Seriously, if they nerf Urien knee drop I guess I won't complain too much lol. Does he really need that with the V-trigger comeback potential? Cammy does at least have low health, you can really knock her senseless with 2 reads.

Sanford breaks a stick and is done

Chris t breaks no sticks, but is never done
This is true...

This is so true.

Even though I hate Ken as a character and find him to be the absolute worst thing in fighting games [Alex is a close second with Cinder from KI being third and the whole cast of Arcana Heart being fourth], I still think Ken in S1 was a damn good character.

The only thing really that I would've nerfed is:
  • His air tatsu, both regular and EX (That shit was just too good, and it got good nerfs)
  • His DP/EX DP into V-Trigger cancel being more punishable on block (which happened)
  • His throw loop (fuck this ugly blonde haired asshole)
  • Giving some of his medium normals a frame or two more block/hitstun
  • Making his b+mp 5 frames, but give Ken a 3-frame normal too.

The overhead buff is a good change I think.

The other problems he has are problems are not Ken specific so that's a game issue which I won't go on.

But this being Capcpom they fixed the second most annoying thing about Ken (Air tatsu) and kept the most annoying (throw loop)

Seriously, if they nerf Urien knee drop I guess I won't complain too much lol. Does he really need that with the V-trigger comeback potential? Cammy does at least have low health, you can really knock her senseless with 2 reads.

To be fair, while it's hard to AA Cammy's ex divekicks, they're mostly unsafe unless spaced really well.

Even though I hate Ken as a character and find him to be the absolute worst thing in fighting games [Alex is a close second with Cinder from KI being third and the whole cast of Arcana Heart being fourth], I still think Ken in S1 was a damn good character.

The only thing really that I would've nerfed is:

His air tatsu, both regular and EX (That shit was just too good, and it got decent nerfs)
His DP/EX DP into V-Trigger cancel being more punishable on block (which happened)
His throw loop (fuck this ugly blonde haired asshole)
Giving some of his medium normals a frame or two more pushback
Making his b+mp 5 frames, but give Ken a 3-frame normal too.

The overhead buff is a good change I think.

The other problems he has are problems are not Ken specific so that's a game issue which I won't go on.

But this being Capcpom they fixed the second most annoying thing about Ken (Air tatsu) and kept the most annoying (throw loop)
well thought out...

As a Ken player, my initial reaction is...I got no buttons now because of this! My pressure is literally just jab. He can't do 2 MP in a row, I have to get my opponent in the corner and throw loop/shimmy. Ken's gonna get punched in the face otherwise by everyone's superior normals. The pushback hurt a lot without the 4 frame target combo button, and now our only 3 frame move is a lk tatsu or lp DP! Please Cap, I needs my button! c.mp was Ken's button! But yes, it was very good.

Too good? I don't know. It was basically the equivalent of Laura's current st.mk. If you weren't paying attention to spacing and really watching the Ken, he could c.mp walk forward a little c.mp+c.mp walk forward c.mp+c.mp V-trigger etc...It could be a long time before it felt like it was your turn. Is that too good? Maybe...

But here's the problem. Cammy can currently do that. Akuma can do it with the exact same button as Ken lol! Bison, Rashid, etc...So what's the criteria for not being able to have really good buttons you can press repeatedly? A fireball? Capcom needs to just adjust here a little.

Also, brilliant idea on buffing defense (at least in my head) what if all V-reversals knocked down and punished everything beside lights, but you could V-reversal a V-reversal?

Good idea?

@Count, tsk man...I didn't know they were unsafe, so I'm guessing Cammy has to make sure it's deep for it to be safe. I'll try and work on my reactions or at least V-reversal it.

Love to see people struggle to still come up with negatives in that thread. Thats a great number for SFV. Looking forward to seeing the scene & prize pools grow. And hopefully we get a nice influx of new players this time next year.

Love to see people struggle to still come up with negatives in that thread. Thats a great number for SFV. Looking forward to seeing the scene & prize pools grow. And hopefully we get a nice influx of new players this time next year.
Next time you're at Capcom tell them my idea.

Free version of SFV, with just Ryu/Chun as playable characters and 1 stage unlocked. Of course this is once the current game has enough to give it goodwill again like Arcade, SP modes, a few more characters, etc...

I'm telling you, player count would be like 8 million, people still love SF!

Next time you're at Capcom tell them my idea.

Free version of SFV, with just Ryu/Chun as playable characters and 1 stage unlocked. Of course this is once the current game has enough to give it goodwill again like Arcade, SP modes, a few more characters, etc...

I'm telling you, player count would be like 8 million, people still love SF!

First off - when can we play again?

Second off - they've already thought of the idea. The network framework for it is one of the first things that got tested in the very first beta.

Shit, even if you don't like SFV, that's more eyes on fighting games in general. Life is good.

First off - when can we play again?

Second off - they've already thought of the idea. The network framework for it is one of the first things that got tested in the very first beta.
Well, they better not wait until year 4 or 5 of the game to do it, I don't get the idea of the best version of a game being 5 years after it came out. Capitalize on the hype now! Not in 2020! You know how amazing it would be if even a million new players logged into SFV? At least 1% of those are probably going to head to a tourney. We need that growth.

2 million new players in one year.

20 million new players in one year.
hhahahhahahaa....yeah, but you know they gotta use the poster boy! Ken will bring in that money as the first DLC character everyone purchases.

Gonna be even better next year.

That's a hint.

I know it's a hint.

Actually in general fighting games next year are going to be insane. Really hope we don't crash it all by being big baby men about video games.

What's the deal with Chris's and salt

Chris T complains A LOT about Ken, to the point of calling some of his matchups legit 9-1. Ken players have to struggle sometimes, and that's fair to say, but Chris makes it out like he's using FANG.

Well, they better not wait until year 4 or 5 of the game to do it, I don't get the idea of the best version of a game being 5 years after it came out. Capitalize on the hype now! Not in 2020! You know how amazing it would be if even a million new players logged into SFV? At least 1% of those are probably going to head to a tourney. We need that growth.

This just isn't the version of the game they want to pull that trigger on. The community is still very negative on it & the casual community still has the bad-taste of launch SFV its mouth. They know what they need to do to alleviate both of these issues.

If they pulled the F2P switch today, the negative sentiment would just bury it. Doing so on a positive release would just increase the impact it has.
Leave Ken behind tbh

Remember when that one Sony 'leaker' (he's banned now) kept hinting that Ken wasn't gonna be in the base roster? Great times lol

Top Bottom