• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Cross post from gaming.

https://capcomprotour.com/street-fighter-v-evo-2017-finals-viewership-ever-fgc-event/

gucoyXa.gif

This is why I never get why people claim SF5 is boring for viewers...or it's not a good spectator game.

Compared to other fighting games, only Smash is comparable.

This just isn't the version of the game they want to pull that trigger on. The community is still very negative on it & the casual community still has the bad-taste of launch SFV its mouth. They know what they need to do to alleviate both of these issues.

If they pulled the F2P switch today, the negative sentiment would just bury it. Doing so on a positive release would just increase the impact it has.

Remember when that one Sony 'leaker' (he's banned now) kept hinting that Ken wasn't gonna be in the base roster? Great times lol
Indeed, that's what I meant by the Arcade/SP mode/Characters update. They definitely gotta have a SSFV first and foremost. Just saying 2020 is out. They shouldn't wait to do this with the USFV version of the game.

Looking forward to next year though (Please Sagat & Sakura, come back to us, I miss playing shotos!) That survey I did at least lets me know Capcom are aware of the fundamental issues with the current meta.

JusDoIt

Next time you're at Capcom tell them my idea.

Free version of SFV, with just Ryu/Chun as playable characters and 1 stage unlocked. Of course this is once the current game has enough to give it goodwill again like Arcade, SP modes, a few more characters, etc...

I'm telling you, player count would be like 8 million, people still love SF!

Free version with rotating playable characters. Different every week. Maybe two at a time. Base game stages unlocked. SP modes (training, trials, survival, arcade, etc.) only available for the unlocked characters.

SFV is certainly the most watchable fighting game. Tekken comes pretty damn close though.

Gundam is the fucking least watchable thing unless you know Gundam or like fighting games enough to not care you are only seeing one damn screen when four are in use.

Indeed, that's what I meant by the Arcade/SP mode/Characters update. They definitely gotta have a SSFV first and foremost. Just saying 2020 is out. They shouldn't wait to do this with the USFV version of the game.

Looking forward to next year though (Please Sagat & Sakura, come back to us, I miss playing shotos!) That survey I did at least lets me know Capcom are aware of the fundamental issues with the current meta.

Survey?

Marvel

could never
It was V that actually got me back into watching esports. Can't be that boring.

Ofc I watched 4 but not as much as V's stuff it's got going on these days.

Scotia

Banned
Cammy's older by a few months iirc.

Fair enough, I wasn't sure. But...

SFV fucks up the timeline even more. It takes place nearly 5 years after SFIV. That means most of the teens in SFIII are 11-ish in SFIV.

What? Mel was born in SSFIV and he's like a toddler in SFV. He's four (?) in New Generation. Where did you get five years from?

The possibility of two v-skills and people counterpicking based on that has me excited.

Also, should learn how to use Abby's V-Reversal real soon here. But I'm winning more matches than usual, so I must be getting slightly better. RB Proving Grounds is tomorrow, and I might not make it that far but I'm gonna try my goddamn best. Plus I'll be getting a ton of casual games in. Gotta put in that work.

I'd say Smash is the least watchable thing for me.

But then again....

Brutal.

Yeah a F2 P in the games current state would probably give some an reason to try the game out, but its also gonna give fuel for the hate fire. "Lel game went F2P. Ded gaem"

Fix the game first then go F2P once the community is happier.

smash 4 grand finals was maybe the hypest smash thing I've ever seen. that dude launching Zero to the sky for the win was sweet.
I really don't even know what it is. Any other fighting game that I don't play I can still watch (only other exception to this is Catherine) but Smash is just.... why.

It's probably a me thing though, not really having a dig at Smash. Well except for that joke earlier but you all know I'm just playin.

SFV is certainly the most watchable fighting game. Tekken comes pretty damn close though.

Gundam is the fucking least watchable thing unless you know Gundam or like fighting games enough to not care you are only seeing one damn screen when four are in use.

Survey?
yeah, someone posted it last page...It's a vote of priority of changes.

What? Mel was born in SSFIV and he's like a toddler in SFV. He's four (?) in New Generation. Where did you get five years from?
The Christmas story released last year on the CRI said Mel was almost 5. He was born in February, so that would mean he's 4 and 10 months by Christmas of SFV's date. Even if the game takes place earlier in the year, that still means SFV takes place over 4 years after USFIV.

As much as I fucking hate Ken that fuckface, I do think that his default cosume and his default design in this game is the best he's had. He just looks stylish and his animations sell that as well.
No way

That was nash
Nash and F.A.N.G were the best reveal trailers.

FANG more so because it was an entirely new character that hadn't been leaked in anyway.

Plus that "2 minutes. I'll finish you... in 2 minutes." is the best catchphrase a character in SF has had since.......... it's the best.

Scotia

Banned
When I first saw F.A.N.G at (I think it was) PSX 2015, I could feel the hype leave my body like a deflated baloon.

The Christmas story released last year on the CRI said Mel was almost 5. He was born in February, so that would mean he's 4 and 10 months by Christmas of SFV's date. Even if the game takes place earlier in the year, that still means SFV takes place over 4 years after USFIV.

I never read that story, I'll have to give it a look. Mel's age in SF3 has pretty much always been about 3-ish, and he looked younger than that in 5 imo. I think 4-ish is a safe bet.

Tbh the whole thing just seems like something Capcom don't even know about themselves.

Edzi

You know, I like hating on Ken as much as the next fella but I will say I thought his reveal was one of the most hype this game has had.

https://youtu.be/8lwOe5y8gIk

Nah, that was one of the worst. It was cool at first due to the new design, but the hype quickly died down over the confusion Max created with his tweet about Ken not being a shoto and then the reveal of the infamous Ken face.

Nash reveal was definitely my favorite.

This is why I never get why people claim SF5 is boring for viewers...or it's not a good spectator game.

Compared to other fighting games, only Smash is comparable.
It's weird and I dunno where it comes from really, because I guess when people talk about it they speak in terms of difficulty of execution? But I'd say most people don't really have much of a frame of reference for that sort of thing and regardless the way higher tier players just make that rote anyway.

This is so goddamn satisfying. Chris T is delusional about his Ken play to the point where he constantly claims to share Momochi's playstyle, so it's nice to see him get smoked by the man himself.

He's seriously one of the more irritating players to listen to talk. All of S1 was him talking about how all characters were better than Ken but he was too much of a loyalist to switch. He'd go on and cast during WNF and all of his casts would be pointing out things characters had that was so much better than Ken. It was so annoying to listen to.
I'm 3 pages too late but I just wanna chime in on loving the Chris T schadenfreude. The dude is the embodiment of Online Nutty Ken.

Zackat

once thing I can say for certain after watching good people play abigail:

I do not do j.HK anywhere near enough

leroidys

I really don't even know what it is. Any other fighting game that I don't play I can still watch (only other exception to this is Catherine) but Smash is just.... why.

It's probably a me thing though, not really having a dig at Smash. Well except for that joke earlier but you all know I'm just playin.
I'm a smash player before anything else, and even I can't watch smash 4. It's so boring.

Edzi

once thing I can say for certain after watching good people play abigail:

I do not do j.HK anywhere near enough

He's got a short jump arc so it works really well. Dunno if that'll change once people get used to him, but for now it pays off to jump since he's got the health to take risks.

Pompadour

I'm not trying to start SF4 vs. SFV again in here, I just want to post this now so it'll be available when that discussion inevitably pops up again. Reading how SF4's initial unpopularity being a Capcuck myth created to defend SFV has made me question my memory of reading all the bitching on SRK about it from pros and pro dickriders.

https://twitter.com/lolraid/status/893505893240799233

Sidenote: I agree that SFV was way more unpopular than SF4 ever was. SF4 had the casuals eating it up which SFV will probably never have.

I'm a smash player before anything else, and even I can't watch smash 4. It's so boring.

My GF has gotten into competitive SFV. Watches a lot of the televised events especially. She is as 'non-gamer' a person can get.

At EVO, I brought her to the EVO Grand Finals stage prior to SFV starting cause I wanted to get some solid seats for the event, which meant we had to sit through Smash 4 GF. Now, I personally think Smash 4 is an okay game to watch - she on the other hand absolutely loathed it. After the first match, she just hated every single second of it. I felt so bad I promised her she'd never have to watch Smash 4 again lol.

I'm not trying to start SF4 vs. SFV again in here, I just want to post this now so it'll be available when that discussion inevitably pops up again. Reading how SF4's initial unpopularity being a Capcuck myth created to defend SFV has made me question my memory of reading all the bitching on SRK about it from pros and pro dickriders.

https://twitter.com/lolraid/status/893505893240799233

Sidenote: I agree that SFV was way more unpopular than SF4 ever was. SF4 had the casuals eating it up which SFV will probably never have.

This isn't even a phenomenon that is isolated to SF4 or V - SF3 was also hated & shat on in its initial release. SF games just get better as they get older, so everyone compares SFV or SF4 year one to ST or 3S, forgetting that it took literal years & multiple iterations before those games got to that point. Heck, people forget that the Turbo setting in SF2 basically changed the speed & helped the game get a 2nd wind. The FGC has a very, very bad long-term memory on this kind of thing.

Scotia

Banned
Wow, people thought Ken wasn't a shoto.

Wow. Wow. How does someone even think that.

I had no idea.

What's worse is that Max was there live when Ken got revealed so for a few hours this was the only thing people knew about him until the trailer dropped.

Cue everyone's amusement when we watched the trailer for ourselves and immediately saw that Ken indeed was a shoto.

Top Bottom