• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Shadoken

Lmao this dude is absolutely nothing like Guy. Even his young form has so many similar "looking" moves but their purpose and frame data are completely different.

kirblar

What characters have we seen get the "colored silhouette" treatment so far?

Rose in Menat's story, Guy/Maki/??? in Zeku's.

I wonder if they're deliberately not showing certain characters if they're not in their future plans.

MrCarter

I know , it was more directed at ppl saying the Young form was literally Guy. This is more of a Nash/Guile situation. Hopefully that means Guy would return with some sick new moves. Like they did for Guile.

I don’t think everyone was saying he was literally Guy, it was just some people on YouTube saying he has similar moves, which, he does have. He’s definitely far more technical than Guy though.

I know , it was more directed at ppl saying the Young form was literally Guy. This is more of a Nash/Guile situation. Hopefully that means Guy would return with some sick new moves. Like they did for Guile.

I feel you. They've been doing good so far besides certain characters and their viability (like Juri)

Shadoken

I don't think everyone was saying he was literally Guy, it was just some people on YouTube saying he has similar moves, which, he does have. He's definitely far more technical than Guy though.

I feel like they split up Guy's moves so they can they can develop them further without making it too strong. And also balance his normals around them. Guy in SFIV always seemed like a heavily nerfed form simply because of the characteristics of his moves.

The lack of Elbow Drop and Floaty jump is THE biggest change. That was always a big part of what made Guy very fundamentally different from the rest of the cast. Being able to break your jump arc.

I'd love to see Guy with a crouch walk.

Guy confirmed Charge character.

Actually that would be pretty crazy haha , make his moves stronger like in Alpha games but make him charge. Would be a unique twist.

Facepalm at people only wanting to play the young version

Thats good. More people to body online for free.

Zeku's strength is his Variety. His individual moves dont seem that strong.

I mean, I'm playing both but I'd be lying if I said 90% of my hype for Zeku isn't in his younger version. I don't really see what's wrong with that.

So you are going by looks only then and this might end up backfiring for you when you play him as you subconsciously will want to stay on his young version most of the time thus crippling the character's arsenal and your possibilities as well.

The Hiryu effect. It's definitely what's attracting me to the character, but I will learn both of his styles.

Essential for this character, let's see where time and high level/creative play can take him to

Thats good. More people to body online for free.

Zeku's strength is his Variety. His individual moves dont seem that strong.

Indeed

Gerontophobia is real in the Street Fighter fandom

^This sadly, fun times ahead if the old version ends up be more useful, I mean those long range kicks already scare me

Scotia

Banned
So you are going by looks only then and this might end up backfiring for you when you play him as you subconsciously will want to stay on his young version most of the time thus crippling the character's arsenal and your possibilities as well.

So you just completely ignored the part where I said I was playing both versions? I don’t know why me being more interested in the younger version bothers you so much, but you do you man.

Shadoken

Man this Stream is killing me. I really want to play this character.

There is a certain nostalgic feel in being able to play Guy again ( Havent played IV in years ). At the same time there is the excitement of experimenting with a new character. Best of both worlds lol.

Edit - Yoooo these Double scythes in the air look so sick.

Pompadour

So I haven't watched much footage but are their important tools that one form has but not the other? Like the obvious example would be one has a invincible reversal while the other doesn't so the gameplan would be to go all in on the Zeku without an SRK.

Village

Guy costume for Zeku.

Rose costume for Menat.

Hugo costume for Abigail.

Balrog Costume for Ed?

Isn't that just Steve Fox with a bang?

I mean, I would buy a steve fox costume for ed

BwWMOtx.jpg

kikiribu

I need him. Love the sound of Old Zeku’s slash kicks. Love his grabs. Love Strider’s run and combos. Everything about him looks super satisfying to me. Also, Matt said Menat is harder to learn

Shadoken

I need him. Love the sound of Old Zeku's slash kicks. Love his grabs. Love Strider's run and combos. Everything about him looks super satisfying to me. Also, Matt said Menat is harder to learn

He said combos are harder. , because of the button holds. Not the neutral or the character.

ArjanN

I swear I don't think I've waited more than 5 minutes for a match in all the time I've played. Some people have no luck with the servors I guess?

Ir's been rare for me to have to wait more than even 1 minute on PC honestly, aside from the days they're doing maintenance.

mbpm1

Damage in SFV and SF4, numbers wise, is actually about the same. The biggest difference is that Critical Arts due a minimum of 50% of its max damage regardless of scaling.

I think USF4 feels lower damage because since lights could combo into just about anything and were safe, people started with lights which kicked the scaling in quicker.
Ah, you mean the sfxt problem

The fact that someone in the SFV team is sitting down to write damn HAIKU's for each character is so wonderful.

Haven't seen the Japanese version yet, but it's probably in haiku, too.

So, writing haikus in 2 languages for 28+ characters.

Heck, the game is localized in more than just English and Japanese, so...maybe more than 2.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Dusted off SFV on PC last weekend (first time in over a year) to see if I could try out Menat using my excess FM instead of Ryu and Cammy, get some games in and see if anything improved about the title.

After turning on Fight Request in training mode (did I mention that the UI in this game is really awful and that slapping on some gold paint is not going to fix a lot of the issues it has?) I proceeded to wait for 20 minutes for no matches. I live in SoCal, so it's not like I'm trying to connect to the Russians from South Africa or something.

Figuring that Fight Request must be broken, I decided to try the direct query for Ranked and Casual matches from the main menu. Keep in mind I had all the default filters set. Another 20 minutes... and nothing. Figuring that search must be busted, I go into the Battle Lounge searches and pull up a list of lobbies. Most lobbies are either poor ping, or mostly-full 8-man lobbies (meaning I'd have to wait eons for a turn to play), or Ultra-Gold or higher accounts requesting expert level play in the comments.

I finally decide after almost an hour of shenanigans that I will just make my own 3-man lobby. After waiting another 10 minutes, someone finally joins... and it's a PS4 player with 3/5 bar ping. Aggrieved at having to wait over an hour just to play a single game, I decide to ready up.

Turns out it's a Nash from the UK. And the match is one of the laggiest matches I have ever played in FGs, with an incredible amount of teleports and rollbacks that made the game visually impossible to follow. After this horrible match is over, the Nash immediately readies up for a rematch; telling me that online SFV players must have adapted to this terrible environment because they don't have a choice if they want to play Street Fighter. After kicking him from my room, I wait another 10 minutes, and no one joins.

This is a disaster. If SFV online is like this then MvCI must be even worse, especially since the player count is lower. The more hardcore community of players has not held Capcom to any sort of quality standard. We are way too focused on character rosters and getting starry-eyed over tournament players, ignoring the low-effort, low-budget (mildly band-aided) work that comprises this game's skeleton. Everyone keeps talking about the netcode and while that's a problem, the real issue that no one mentions is the complete disaster matchmaking is!

Sneakers, tell your Capcom bros that I love most of their animation work, but until they get their act together, you won't ever see me pick up a Capcom fighting game again unless it's on a big fat discount. Don't forget to tell them that any problem the fans have can be addressed by adding more characters and costumes!
This is in no way representative of the common matchmaking experience, which has been working pretty smoothly for a long time at this point.

1) as another poster suggested, it may be that you need to earn your non-quitter badge if you don't have one. Worst case scenario you can leave the game idle searching for matches with auto-accept turned on. You'll need to intervene after the match to get back to matchmaking but you can just check on it every 20 min without babysitting it. After a few matches you'll be categorized as a non-quitter. Yes, this is a dumb ragequit system, but it works fine once you have the badge.

2) forward the appropriate ports for SFV. Google will point you in the right direction

For the record I'm on PC and I've never had to wait longer than a minute or two in the worst of times. That was the case before I port forwarded as well but I did it anyway just to see if I could.

Top Bottom