• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Marvel

could never
I'd be so happy.

What if Dan had longer range normals than Ryu?

You know what would actually be the coolest shit? If Dan played almost exactly like Ken, but didn't have the insane corner carry and didn't have any CCs.

Playing against Kens online have taught me to expect the unexpected and was thrown off by how normal and calm you played so that was a factor. But I also have an impatience problem, I know my opponent is baiting me and I tend to throw out moves instead of normals to try and goad them but Im terrible at my spacing so I get fucked over.

The biggest strategy against me is doing nothing, being super defensive tends to make me nervous and I'm not comfortable with my accuracy of pulling off command throws so I only go for what I know I can do.

I can only react so face to cross ups and everytime I go for the CrMP AA mixup it's always ended in me either flubbing the input or getting EX DPed.

Im also always expecting to get CC'd but when you went for Lows everytime on Wakeup fucked with my head, and I tried to (stupidly) V reversal it and end up eating it every time.

Then I just eat fireballs about 70 percent of the time, mistiming jumps, mistiming the slide or charge kick or just rolling into them because I think I can dodge them only for it to be a setup when I jump over and get DPed.

I know what's coming, I know what's there and I know it's a trap...but i cant help but fall for it all the time.

Thanks for the games and the help. There's so much I have to unteach myself.
sure thing...connection was a bit wonky today but we'll play again soon. Best to practice against stronger players. It might suck at first because you don't win many sets but it will pay off quickly and you'll be stomping players all the way up to Diamond in no time, after that rank a lot of players have a general grasp on their characters and it's more about outsmarting your opponent rather than exploiting your character's strength, though that can still work too! Lol Rog, and Bison are good examples of characters tougher to deal with online.

Just take one thing at a time tho...I'd say focus on AA and defense first. Those go pretty hand-in-hand and you can do both simultaneously. Once you get that down, start incorporating command grab into your bnb and mixups.

Also only scrub Ken's play like wild bandits. Any decent Ken is probably trying to emulate Momochi and while he does explode, it's usually after careful deliberate play. Ken's ultimate goal, like Mika is to get you in the corner. There are some who go for the Eita style, but most decent Kens I've played are really trying to get u to the corner before they go crazy. Just watch V-trigger RH Tatsu is best if you can anticipate it, on block it's kinda a 50/50. It's not as deadly as S1 because ken used to be plus on block with an invincible move even without meter. Just keep an eye on the ken player's style here.

I don't understand why Capcom doesn't give the same blonde color treatment as vega? His has a less ambient glow.
Capcom's 3D takes on blondes are full of gaudy yellows. Vega players should hope Capcom makes him a permanent light brunette instead.
How about Violent Alex?
I always found it weird how Alex was the MC of SF3 and never seemed to have any special power tying him to the illuminati, Gill or anyone else. I like the story well enough, but that part I always weird. Ice wouldn't really suit him and Ken already has fire, so maybe he could have had his own toned down take on resurrection/healing? Oh wait Elena had that too lol.

DunpealD

NMS is a different beast, though. It's not on TV, it's not the leader of its genre, etc. Failure for that game is predicated on a few things, one of which is that while there are numerous changes, it doesn't really move the title towards what a lot of people thought the game would be - which is more dynamic.

SFV can still gather SOME of the casual crowd back. I don't think it's impossible. It'll take more than just a fancy Arcade Mode. It needs to have a fresh coat of paint in terms of, well, almost everything. But once it becomes a package, it becomes viable for tons of people to pick up.

The money lies in the DLC and esports, though. Casuals will watch the game, see the better package, and pick it up. But then the game will make money through the DLC/FM synergy, promotional shit, crossover bits, and whatever. The viewership shows that the popularity is there, they just need to make a product worth buying (yeah yeah, not everyone watches and plays at the same time but there's still a large segment that do). It's in Capcom's best interest to cover as many bases as possible while keeping profitable. pie.

So far I haven't bought any costumes. But whenever they decide to include SF live action movie Dictator and add the infamous "But for me it was just a tuesday." I would buy it day one.

I think in general their DLC game is pretty low tier. Sell me the OST of other SF games, heck add other Capcom FGs on top of it. I'd be more than ready to shell out some dough for that.

FluxWaveZ

We have official character usage stats here. The higher you get in ranks, higher I would assume the relative Chun stats are, much like FANG, Birdie or Vega.

Necalli and Rashid are in the bottom 10 in terms of overall CFN usage, but I can guarantee you they're in the top 8 in usage when you go past Diamond. Meanwhile, I would assume Mika is in the bottom 5 when you go past Diamond.

It'd be nice if they offered more in-depth data and statistics. If one truly wants objective character tiers and match-up information, all we'd need to look at is the overall performance of the very best players online and how that all totals up. Just considering the performance of people in Ultra Diamond / Master rank against other players of the same leagues, and how that evens out. Same for character usage at a higher level of play. Or, even more ambitious, certain pieces of information about how characters in a certain MU won (average amount of EX bar used per round, amount of time spent blocking/walking back as opposed to walking forward or dashing, etc.).

There's a lot more that could be done. That's the game in a nutshell, though.

So far I haven't bought any costumes. But whenever they decide to include SF live action movie Dictator and add the infamous "But for me it was just a tuesday." I would buy it day one.

I think in general their DLC game is pretty low tier. Sell me the OST of other SF games, heck add other Capcom FGs on top of it. I'd be more than ready to shell out some dough for that.

OSTs as money are iffy. I'd buy it but I wouldn't be happy.

*gives money*

"I don't like doing this capcpom!"

*Gives money again next month*

"I still don't like doing this Capcpom!"

*gives money again next month*

"I still don't like doing this Capcpom!"

Repeat until new SF comes out.

DunpealD

It's always been a thing. TTT2, Gundam EXVS FB and Versus, 3S:OE and I think DoA5 sells one or 2 packs in Core Fighters version.

It would be nice, if they decide to add it for free. But I'm not going to expect or demand them to shell it out for free. That would be some strange sense of entitlement.

FluxWaveZ

I've seen literally 1 bison in the last 287 matches on a new account 0 to 5300 lp. Nash on the other hand has been quite common :(

That's exactly what I'd expect, because there are plenty of Nash players in the lower leagues. Outside of that, Zombegoast is correct: there are way more Bison players than there are Nash players at the higher leagues.

Alchemist

Necalli and Rashid are in the bottom 10 in terms of overall CFN usage, but I can guarantee you they're in the top 8 in usage when you go past Diamond. Meanwhile, I would assume Mika is in the bottom 5 when you go past Diamond.

Rashid I can agree with but Necalli players are rare now. Tones of Akuma since Evo in my experience.

I saw this fan-made quiz made to help GG beginners from other games find characters that might mesh with them and thought it would be the sicked shit if somebody made one for SFV. I'd probably do it myself if I knew how it was coded.

Alchemist

At what rank? Necalli players are anything but rare in my experience, but I have seen a frustratingly large amount of Akuma players on my alternate account.

I just hit Diamond.

Maybe it's a region thing (I'm in EU), but out of the top tiers, Necalli hasn't been that popular compared to, say, Balrog or Cammy.

I saw this fan-made quiz made to help GG beginners from other games find characters that might mesh with them and thought it would be the sicked shit if somebody made one for SFV. I'd probably do it myself if I knew how it was coded.
That quiz is pretty good.

It gave me Venom as the recommended character, with Sin Kiske and Elphelt as the other characters and that is the same order in which I messed around with mains when I tried the game.

Once you hit Super Platinum, the game gets rid of the limit and have you fight up to Master.

Necalli is uncommon and Flux is like the only Mika online.

That quiz is pretty good.

It gave me Venom as the recommended character, with Sin Kiske and Elphelt as the other characters and that is the same order in which I messed around with mains when I tried the game.

I got Sol with Leo in second place. I guess none of the grills suit the vanilla playstyle I like.

Oddly enough, I'm trying Millia and having fun with her.

MechaX

The GG quiz gave me Ky and Jack-O with different permutations, which is pretty spot on. There is a BlazBlue version which is also pretty damn accurate at times (always gives me Mu-12).

Someone needs to make a SF version.

Teh Lurv

I've seen literally 1 bison in the last 287 matches on a new account 0 to 5300 lp. Nash on the other hand has been quite common :(

Maybe we play at different times during the day, but both Bison & Nash are uncommon matches for me (playing at a range of 3500-1500LP.)

Characters I almost never see are Sim, Fang (neither are that surprising), & Juri. I could probably count the number of times I got paired with any of those characters in the last three months on one hand. Next step up is Chun-li, Birdie, & R. Mika.

FluxWaveZ

I like this, and the idea of it, but there's just certain things quizzes like this can't account for. Like, I'd play Zato-1 simply because he's a puppet character, but that isn't really explored in there. I guess it's more for people who have trouble deciding on what really appeals to them, though.

We have official character usage stats here. The higher you get in ranks, higher I would assume the relative Chun stats are, much like FANG, Birdie or Vega.

It'd be nice if they offered more in-depth data and statistics. If one truly wants objective character tiers and match-up information, all we'd need to look at is the overall performance of the very best players online and how that all totals up. Just considering the performance of people in Ultra Diamond / Master rank against other players of the same leagues, and how that evens out. Same for character usage at a higher level of play. Or, even more ambitious, certain pieces of information about how characters in a certain MU won (average amount of EX bar used per round, amount of time spent blocking/walking back as opposed to walking forward or dashing, etc.).

There's a lot more that could be done. That's the game in a nutshell, though.
That sounds very in depth...would it even be possible to track that?

But yeah overall, I don't get to experience the character usage overall. Once you get up in ranks, the true top tier starts to rear their heads.

JusDoIt

I took the GG quiz hoping I wouldn't get Slayer, but of course I got Slayer. Slayer has always been my default because I'm basic.

Jam and Kum were on my list too, tho. I should check them out.

(So were I-No and Leo, but no thanks)

It gave me Potemkin with Raven and Leo as potential secondaries, which is the reverse of who I mostly play in Xrd, haha.

Still, the BlazBlue one was spot-on; correctly gave me Azrael, Mai and Tager.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That sounds very in depth...would it even be possible to track that?

But yeah overall, I don't get to experience the character usage overall. Once you get up in ranks, the true top tier starts to rear their heads.
It would definitely be possible statistically. I don't know whether tracking that data would be a burden on the CPU/game engine.

It would be a lot of work to implement though and sounds like more of a Valve thing to do than a broke-ass Capcom thing to do. A system like that wouldn't just be useful for players. A full data science approach to analyzing and balancing the game would theoretically improve Capcom's ability to make smart changes.

I have to believe they are collecting *some* data from all these matches, but it's anyone's guess how much and what they're doing with it.

joe2187

Banned
It gave me Potemkin with Raven and Leo as potential secondaries, which is the reverse of who I mostly play in Xrd, haha.

Still, the BlazBlue one was spot-on; correctly gave me Azrael, Mai and Tager.

You got the Blazblue one on hand? I played only Tao and Litchi, but I havent played since CT and I think the roster has basically tripled.

That yellow is the same yellow they had in previous games. In Vega's case, I don't even know why they didn't keep his hair brown.

Vega's hair changes between blond and brown between every game.
brunet in sf2
blond in sfa
brunet in sf4
blond in sf5
Next time he'll be brunet again

Top Bottom