• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Roster Discussion: P-P-P-P-PATTERN BREAKER

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnesD3

Ill limit my roster to 16 via the rumor with 4 new characters

SF2

Ryu
Ken
Chun Li
Akuma

SFA

Sakura
Karin

SF3

Alex
Hugo
Dudley
Yun

SF4

C. Viper
Juri

My Predictions Anyway.

Street Fighter roster discussion is weird for me. Because while I'd love to see some new awesome additions like Rufus and C. Viper, and would love to see more classics brought back, I really only care about Guile. And I know he's gonna be in there so I'm content.

If he isn't though, rage. Although I don't see them pulling a full on 3rd strike.

How would you feel if they add charlie instead?

Jawmuncher

I honestly see C. Viper getting the kick.
She was poised to be the stand out newcomer of SF4 but once super rolled around Juri took that from her it seems from community talk.

I'm talking only community talk though and not tourney play or anything like that.

She was poised to be the stand out newcomer of SF4 but once super rolled around Juri took that from her it seems from community talk.

I'm talking only community talk though and not tourney play or anything like that.

Juri won an official capcom voting poll as to which character you want in future sequels and she came on top. She's a lock.
Edit when it came to the newcomers she was #1.

Puaru1

poison721.jpg

Village

No she's still up there, juri just went ham.

She got into marvel.

Juri and Viper are the only ones coming back

Village

I love feuerte and Hakan , but those type of characters I was like " Ya'll never seeing a street fighter ever again, "

Durden77

They need to pull a half 3rd strike at least. Sagat is my favorite SF character but I don't need to see him again, I'll just play SF4 or go back to SF2. Capcom needs to establish new play-styles and badasses, its the only way SFV will stand out as a sequel and not another iteration.

I'm totally down with a half 3rd Strike and think that's how it should be done as well, but I think at this point at least the original 8 shouldn't go anywhere.

The villains I can take or leave (I'd really like Bison though), but Ryu, Ken, Chun, Guile, Honda, Blanka, Zangeif, and Dhalsim should all be a lock at this point. That leaves room for a roster of hopefully around 20 characters, 12 of which could be fresh or peeps like Alex.

They do need to create new playstyles and identities, but at the same time those characters are so important to me and many of the people I play with. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that in 2014/15 Capcom can put enough work into this game to capture the old crew and make something fresh along the lines of 3rd Strike as well.

Conflicted. Very conflicted.

Conflicted. Very conflicted.

From a story narrative ( lol capcom and story ) it could work since we get to find out if what happened to charlie, is he dead or what? It pushes the street fighter story forward but this sounds to good to be true. I mean shit poor guile is still searching for him.

I do like the fact before ken, charlie was the reigning US martial arts champ.

ElTopo

Banned

I know you're not addressing me but I'd take Remy over Charlie/Guile any day. Hell, Capcom could see more value in Remy as he has more appeal to kids ("Kids today still have bangs, right?") and hipsters. They could even have a hipster DLC outfit with a scarf and glasses.

Rather have Alex than Abel, though I did enjoy watching a good Abel. I'd love Oro back. Give him and Q another shot, plz.
Alex is gonna be there day one.
I know you're not addressing me but I'd take Remy over Charlie/Guile any day. Hell, Capcom could see more value in Remy as he has more appeal to kids ("Kids today still have bangs, right?") and hipsters. They could even have a hipster DLC outfit with a scarf and glasses.

Maybe if they revamp Remy's moveset a little bit he could be quite an interesting choice, but I don't hear fans asking for him. I feel your pain bruh ;/

Bizazedo

I'll be honest. When I rolled into an arcade, hype, and saw SF 3.....I was crushed at so many familiar faces not being there plus flat out goofy looking replacements.

It didn't feel like SF.

It's not a sane or safe opinion, probably, but I need a lot of familiar faces (BISON) to be happy.

I never did play SF3 as a result.

I'll be honest. When I rolled into an arcade, hype, and saw SF 3.....I was crushed at so many familiar faces not being there plus flat out goofy looking replacements.

It didn't feel like SF.

It's not a sane or safe opinion, probably, but I need a lot of familiar faces (BISON) to be happy.

I never did play SF3 as a result.

Plot twist: Bison is actually Q since he needed bezel he chose that body.

Newboi

My thoughts are that This game should take place after 3S and feature more 3S characters and new comers, while returning only a few Road Warriors in the inital release. I think SF2 cast members should come as DLC (or in extra revisions). We have had 5 editions of SF4 to have time with the original SF2 cast. Just keep the absolute most popular originals and stick to newer characters.

My personal roster for the initial release would look like (order is not indicative of character preference):

-Ryu
-Chun-li
-Ken
-Akuma
-Guile/Charlie
-Bison
-Zangief/Hugo
-Makoto
-Urien
-Q
-Dudley
-Yun
-Alex
-Sean
-Ibuki
-Necro/Dhalsim
-Juri
-C.Viper
-New Character
-New Character

I know 20 characters is alot for an initial release though.

Skilletor

I just really hope whatever system they have in place doesn't hurt charge characters. Focus and Parry both suck for charge characters. It's shitty game design to hurt the core of a character through additions to the system.

Newboi

I just really hope whatever system they have in place doesn't hurt charge characters. Focus and Parry both suck for charge characters. It's shitty game design to hurt the core of a character through additions to the system.

I think parry works fine when paired with charge buffering + partitioning. Have you ever seen the destruction top players have been able to lay down with Urien, Q (and he's terrible tier wise), or Remy?

Either way, I really hope charge partitioning does make a return from 3S. It really allows charge characters to be played more offensively.

Let me take a stab at predicting the roster

Considering the 3rd strike roster

Ryu
Ken
Akuma
Chun-li

SFIV
C.Viper
Juri

SFIII
Alex
Urien
Hugo
Ibuki, Makoto or Elena ( a female rep required )

SFA/SFII:
Karin ( if Karin makes it her rival Sakura should be in )
Sakura ( capcom no high school outfit pls ;_; )
Guile or charlie ( decisions decisions )
Cammy ( due to her popularity I have feeling capcom gonna choose killer bee)

Troll character:
Blanka or Sean ( if it does take place after SFIII it should be Sean since he's training under ken )
Dan ( nope he ain't making it )

Old character:
Gen ( he's dead imo by now.. No one dies in SF tho)
Oro ( sounds like a lock)

Boxer:
Dudley ( most likely )
Balrog ( doubt it )
New character ( kickboxer maybe )

SFV: two new characters
?
?

Final Fight characters such as Cody and Guy are money makers so dlc is the way to go. Other classic characters dlc also... Zangief forgive me ;/ a trollish character is required.

Sounds reasonable right?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just want to echo that the SF2 staples are probably here to stay. If not in the initial package, then FOR SURE in updates. It's a model that worked, and those characters are not just universally loved (unlike SF3/Alpha/etc.), but help maintain the identity of the franchise beyond Ryu/Chun/Gouki/etc.

I don't know what to expect for the initial cast, except for them to continue the roughly 1:2 new to old ratio of characters like Capcom has done in their previous main releases. There's way too much that we don't know that can dictate this (time, setting, narrative, update model).

Skilletor

I think parry works fine when paired with charge buffering + partitioning. Have you ever seen the destruction top players have been able to lay down with Urien, Q (and he's terrible tier wise), or Remy?

Either way, I really hope charge partitioning does make a return from 3S. It really allows charge characters to be played more offensively.

I have, and it's stupid. Parries and focus both make me break charge. Charge partitioning just lets charge characters play more like motion characters with far more effort required. It's stupid. Just make them motion characters, then.

Timeaisis

I'm thinking maybe 16 characters? How many did SFIV launch with? Newcomers from SFIV returning, I can see 2 maybe 3. Fuerte, Juri, and maybe Viper?

Or, it could go the SFIII way and have a bunch of new guys, and Ryu, Ken, and Chun Li come back from SFII. That would be pretty cool, actually.

Newboi

I have, and it's stupid. Parries and focus both make me break charge. Charge partitioning just lets charge characters play more like motion characters. It's stupid. Just make them motion characters, then.

I understand your feelings, but that's taking it a little too far lol. If charge characters, with their existing move sets, where changed to motion characters, they would be broken in most cases (aside from Q lol). Imagining Urien or Guile with motion controls would be ridiculous. Talk about ludicrous pressure strings and being able to do their specials on reaction..whenever!

Fitting my wishes into the 16 character rumor would be something like:

The Original 8

Ryu
Ken
Chun Li
Guile
Honda
Blanka
Dhalsim
Zangief

Four SFIII characters
Alex
Dudley
Ibuki
Sean

4 new characters (only if they are more inspired than SF4 new challengers).

In fact I'll the only thing I absolutely want is that Alex makes it back and that none of SF4's new characters do.

Fitting my wishes into the 16 character rumor would be something like:

The Original 8

Ryu
Ken
Chun Li
Guile
Honda
Blanka
Dhalsim
Zangief

Four SFIII characters
Alex
Dudley
Ibuki
Sean

4 new characters (only if they are more inspired than SF4 new challengers).

In fact I'll the only thing I absolutely want is that Alex makes it back and that none of SF4's new characters do.

Juri is gonna make it in imo.

I'm thinking maybe 16 characters? How many did SFIV launch with? Newcomers from SFIV returning, I can see 2 maybe 3. Fuerte, Juri, and maybe Viper?

Or, it could go the SFIII way and have a bunch of new guys, and Ryu, Ken, and Chun Li come back from SFII. That would be pretty cool, actually.

25 characters in the console version. I think 16 in the Arcade version.

Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Blanka, Fei Long, Cammy, Balrog, Dahlsim, E. Honda, Sagat, Akuma, Guile, Zangief, Bison, Vega, Sakura, Rose, Dan, and Gen. = 19 Veterans

C. Viper, Seth, El Fuerte, Abel, Rufus and Gouken. = 6 Newcomers

rubex75

Banned
My 16

Street Fighter 2

Ryu
Chun-Li
Ken
Akuma

Street Fighter 3

Alex
Q
Gill/Urien (Either/Or)
Dudley
Hugo

Street Fighter 4

Juri
C.Viper
Abel

4 New

One New Boss

Actually thinking about it, maybe we should worry considering....disregarding the original SF2 cast...

SSF's cast> Alpha's cast> SFIII's cast>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SF4's cast

Sesha

Capcom will barely lose anything by not copy pasting the SF2 cast over. Nothing. There are characters in the series that are way more popular than some of them. And considering even SF2 "diehards" make exceptions by saying "well, except X or Y", it seems even they feel the same.

Poor Abel. One of the few rekka characters I like.
He's not bad; actually a pretty solid design. He's just a tad boring and lacks some flash.

Otherwise he'd be a shoe-in and maybe solid rival for Alex?

For the abs alone, she's worth it.

Juri and Viper are the only ones coming back
You and I will probably never see eye-to-eye on 3S x3, but I'd be chill with just those two coming back. They were the best of the new batch, and it leaves even more room for completely new characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom