• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streets of Rogue - Pixel art roguelite + immersive sim, now on Early Access

Doghelmer

Neo Member
How's the OST coming?

My composer was recently in town for a couple weeks, and we used it as an opportunity to nail down the overall sound of the game. The tracks for levels 1-1, 1-2 and 1-3 are mostly done. He's working on another project at the moment, but I think he'll be getting back to doing the 2-1 to 2-3 music after that. I'll add the music to the game once I have tracks for all of those levels, as those are the ones in the game right now. So, maybe a couple of builds from now.

Just saw that this was on Early Access now and having a free weekend for launch
http://store.steampowered.com/app/512900

Steam launch includes
Online Multiplayer
4-Player Local Coop Support
Home Base
Daily Runs
Mutators
Unlockables
Steam Achievements
Game is saved when the player quits
Cloud Saves
Steam Big Picture virtual keyboard support
Introduction, Tutorial, and story stuff
Support for 7 new languages: Chinese (simplified), Korean, German, Spanish, Portuguese, French and Russian

Well, that's definitely quite an appropriately loaded update to cruise onto Steam's Early Access with---damn.

Really looking forward to how the game shapes up from here now that this hurdle is pretty well sorted!

Doghelmer

Neo Member
Yeah, I'm looking forward to adding a bunch of new game content. Which is a hell of a lot less stressful than, say, grafting online multiplayer into a previously single-player game!

RPS did a very positive preview
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/14/streets-of-rogue-review-early-access/
Streets of Rogue is super. You’re a small hero of the Resistance, standing against the corrupt Mayor of a rotten futuristic city. You ascend into the tower-like metropolis level by randomly-generated level, taking on equally random missions and gaining new skills, items and fair-weather friends. It’s a roguelikelikelike, or whatever it is we’re now calling games that submerge you in roomy Binding of Isaac style randomness. There are drugs that turn you into a giant, bombs that blow doors off their hinges, cigarettes with which you can poison air filters, whiskey to drink for health (or use to bribe bouncers), boomboxes that make your enemies dance, and devices that hack the bullets out an enemy’s gun and into your own. It almost makes you wish Deus Ex was as imaginative with its approach to cyberpunky stealth and chaos.

Radnom

I've been really enjoying this game - even though it has a bunch of things that I'm not a fan of (different pixel scaling/rotating, persistent upgrades in a roguelike) it's overall somehow greater than its parts, and it's really fun.

The music is fantastic. It gets stuck in my head long after playing it.

I've played a few games local co-op (with two people) and it works great.

I really appreciate the 'quality of life' features, like being able to teleport to objectives - taking out the 'boring' traversal (when it's not dangerous) really works incredibly well.

I like the fact that the game:
A. Gives the 'toughest' option, the vagrant with no abilities, as the 'default' option.
B. Doesn't attempt to balance the classes too much - it's almost like difficulty settings for yourself. I like the fact that I can give myself a harder or easier time by picking someone else.
C. Encourages players to try different playstyles with different characters.
D. Allows save games!

Really good work so far. I've been wanting to play something like this for a long time, and although the idea in my head was more of a 'serious' tone, the playful tone this game takes lets you run wild with crazy and creative ideas.

I'm glad I'm allowed to make a save game to continue my run later, it turned this game into the perfect work game. I'd love to be able to save my games into 'slots' so I can continue a co-op game when both of us are free, but still lets me do solo runs. I've gotten around this by copying the files in the save game folder, but having it in-game would be nice.

Top Bottom