• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid Questions 2 |OT| of questions that don't deserve their own threads, The Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

PudieRSC

How can a software upgrade make a camera work better.

Like I get a better camera app with more settings can help you take a better picture, but I've seen news stories recently on software upgrades improving phones cameras.

How can a software upgrade make a camera work better.

Like I get a better camera app with more settings can help you take a better picture, but I've seen news stories recently on software upgrades improving phones cameras.

When a digital camera takes a picture, it's basically recording a bunch of information about the light that it captured. You can save this data as a RAW file. It's not actually a picture, it's just a bunch of data.

To make it into a picture, software has to process the raw data into an image. Usually your phone does this and just saves the image as a jpg and discards the raw data as soon as the picture is taken.

Software upgrades can improve the processing of the raw data and give a better picture. You could have made the same image exactly from the RAW data and a program like photoshop, but most people don't want to do that so the camera does it automatically.

The software upgrade is usually just improving what the automatic processing does. For example, maybe the sensor/lens combo on the Galaxy S8 tends to be a little soft and flat when in low light. A software update would tell the S8's camera app to apply a bit of sharpening and increase the saturation when a low-light image is captured. Thus, you'd suddenly start getting better jpgs when you take night photos.

No dice :'( Why tonight of all nights? >_< I'm about to officially start a fulltime night job and gaf has worked fine for 1.5 years.

I found a really weird but functioning url but I can't login that way. Are there other urls as well? :)

Translate gaf from Spanish to English:
https://translate.google.com/transl...l=en&ie=UTF-8&u=neogaf.com&edit-text=&act=url

Works for a lot of workplace blockers

KarmaCow

Has anyone had the sensation of feeling huge, or rather everything else feeling small? I haven't taken anything and I'm not sure how to articulate it exactly but my mind started racing while reading some dry documentation (which is its own bizarre experience) and then after that, everything felt like it was smaller for a while. Sorta like that vertigo feeling of sinking into your chair, but the opposite and without the transition period. I guess that doesn't help and it sounds insane but I'm not sure how else to describe it. The feeling didn't last long, I guess my brain recalibrated or something, I dunno it was just a very surreal experience.

The video is indeed 1+ hour long. Maybe you need to clear your cache, or try another browser.

Happening for me at work and home (including incognito mode in chrome and firefox) and happening with another person I asked :/

There's also two comments on the vid about it. Super fucking weird.

Has anyone had the sensation of feeling huge, or rather everything else feeling small? I haven't taken anything and I'm not sure how to articulate it exactly but my mind started racing while reading some dry documentation (which is its own bizarre experience) and then after that, everything felt like it was smaller for a while. Sorta like that vertigo feeling of sinking into your chair, but the opposite and without the transition period. I guess that doesn't help and it sounds insane but I'm not sure how else to describe it. The feeling didn't last long, I guess my brain recalibrated or something, I dunno it was just a very surreal experience.

Yes. Very rarely and only for a couple of seconds before my perspective resets to normal. It mostly happens when I'm reading something while very tired. I think it's my brain focusing on a small area of vision while reading, and making it feel like it occupies my whole field of view (even though it doesn't in reality). When I stop concentrating and start taking in my wider environment, everything suddenly appears very small.

Timeaisis

This happens to me while I'm laying down trying to fall asleep. Not super often, but often enough to remember it.

KarmaCow

Yes. Very rarely and only for a couple of seconds before my perspective resets to normal. It mostly happens when I'm reading something while very tired. I think it's my brain focusing on a small area of vision while reading, and making it feel like it occupies my whole field of view (even though it doesn't in reality). When I stop concentrating and start taking in my wider environment, everything suddenly appears very small.

This happens to me while I'm laying down trying to fall asleep. Not super often, but often enough to remember it.

Thanks, it's a relief to know that it wasn't just me.

No dice :'( Why tonight of all nights? >_< I'm about to officially start a fulltime night job and gaf has worked fine for 1.5 years.

I found a really weird but functioning url but I can't login that way. Are there other urls as well? :)
Huh I can't browse at work now either and I had been using the neogaf.net thing.

pachura

A few questions concerning Nintendo Switch:

- does it have YouTube player?

- is there any free content on eShop? (including demos/trials ?)

Thanks!

Quenk

A few questions concerning Nintendo Switch:

- does it have YouTube player?

- is there any free content on eShop? (including demos/trials ?)

Thanks!

I don't believe there's a YouTube played yet.

There are definitely demos though. I downloaded a demo for pokken tournament DX last week.

Gosh, I remember a few years ago I was asking "Wait, where's Yugoslavia? ...Oh, it doesn't exist anymore." "Hey, what about Zaire? Oh, it doesn't exist anymore either."

Yugoslavia was around in some form until like 2004. It's a fantastic way to precisely date maps made between 1990 and 2005 though, just by looking at Yugoslavia's precise state of disintegration.

sarcastor

isn't there a thread on neogaf where people showed their houses? It was called show us your cribs or something. I can't find it

3068414-inline-7-these-custom-ikea-slipcovers-are-made-from-recycling-cloth.jpg

Is Bono technically a first name or a last name? I honestly can't figure it out.

He has one name. so it's both? Like Prince or Sting.

Minamu

Is this normal? o_O My C:/ is running 100% at idle, just booted the machine up basically:

Something is reading and writing like crazy and I don't really have anything running in the background except windows stuff and "advanced system care"

Might be windows update but this is pretty common, pc is slow af :/

Can JapanGAF confirm that I'm still able to use 7-11 ATMs for currency exchange? Heading to Tokyo at the end of this week (I'll have some yen with me already) and just want to make sure that's still a thing.

Thanks!

okdakor

I'm sure it's a common GAF question, but why can't I go to the last post I read on the desktop version, when I can do it on mobile ?

Oreoleo

Is this normal? o_O My C:/ is running 100% at idle, just booted the machine up basically:

Something is reading and writing like crazy and I don't really have anything running in the background except windows stuff and "advanced system care"

Run a virus scan lately?

StoneFox

Is it an MSI machine? We had to send a lot of defective ones back to the vendor because they were all doing this through some proprietary software.

If it's not MSI, it might be an anti-virus or another program auto-updating.

Minamu

Run a virus scan lately?
I have, no problem there. Suppose I could check again with other softwares.

Is it an MSI machine? We had to send a lot of defective ones back to the vendor because they were all doing this through some proprietary software.

If it's not MSI, it might be an anti-virus or another program auto-updating.
I think the motherboard is msi yeah. Really old though. I don't think it appreciates win 10 :/ Windows Update was running, I noticed that as I wanted to turn the pc off. But it does this fairly often too.

Oreoleo

I think the motherboard is msi yeah. Really old though. I don't think it appreciates win 10 :/ Windows Update was running, I noticed that as I wanted to turn the pc off. But it does this fairly often too.
Windows 10 has the option to disable Update for somewhere in the ballpark of 30-90 days. I would turn it off and monitor your PC to see if that is in fact the culprit.

As an aside, I had to install Windows 10 more than once because for whatever reason certain things weren't behaving properly (most notably wouldn't recognize I was connected to the internet so I couldn't play MP in certain PC games). If you install it from a USB stick the process only takes 10-20 minutes (plus the time to set your programs back up, of course). If it were me in your shoes, I wouldn't expend more than a couple hours trying to diagnose the problem before reinstalling if it's that distracting/annoying/concerning/other words. You very quickly end up wasting more time pulling your hair out trying to figure out the problem than if you had reinstalled Windows from the outset.

Minamu

Windows 10 has the option to disable Update for somewhere in the ballpark of 30-90 days. I would turn it off and monitor your PC to see if that is in fact the culprit.

As an aside, I had to install Windows 10 more than once because for whatever reason certain things weren't behaving properly (most notably wouldn't recognize I was connected to the internet so I couldn't play MP in certain PC games). If you install it from a USB stick the process only takes 10-20 minutes (plus the time to set your programs back up, of course). If it were me in your shoes, I wouldn't expend more than a couple hours trying to diagnose the problem before reinstalling if it's that distracting/annoying/concerning/other words. You very quickly end up wasting more time pulling your hair out trying to figure out the problem than if you had reinstalled Windows from the outset.
Interesting! I might do this. A fresh install is always super fast, until you get some updates going :lol

Blizzard

Banned
I asked this in the box office thread but I'm not sure that's the right place. Maybe someone here happened to notice the same movie:

I have a weird movie question and I'm not sure of the appropriate thread to ask it.

For quite a while Rotten Tomatoes has had a movie on their front page with high early reviews (8/9 positive?). It was limited release and looked kind of interesting to me. Here's what I remember:

* Scifi / horror movie
* Poster had a woman on it
* Movie is about scientist who, thanks to a teleporter / transporter accident, can no longer form new memories
* I thought it was releasing in the next month or so?

It's now vanished. I've tried looking through various release lists and googling but I can't find anything. If anyone happens to know the name I'd appreciate it.

GAF please help, there is a certain word that has been in my head that I know but can't think of what it is. It's right there and it just won't come up. This is a term to express something like 2 opposite feelings in one.

For example today is a nice day it's happy but at the same time it's sad because we remember 9/11

Another example, Jesus Christ gave us the promise of Life through his Flesh and blood which is the happiest and greatest news but that night he was betrayed to be crucified making it the saddest suffering for us.

What word would one say to express that mix of emotions?

Blizzard

Banned
GAF please help, there is a certain word that has been in my head that I know but can't think of what it is. It's right there and it just won't come up. This is a term to express something like 2 opposite feelings in one.

For example today is a nice day it's happy but at the same time it's sad because we remember 9/11

Another example, Jesus Christ gave us the promise of Life through his Flesh and blood which is the happiest and greatest news but that night he was betrayed to be crucified making it the saddest suffering for us.

What word would one say to express that mix of emotions?
Bittersweet?

KarmaCow

Very similar to that but not that word :/

I'll probably have to settle with that for now.

The only other word I can think of is ambivalent but that doesn't really fit your examples which seem to have a tinge of guilt associated with them, as if realization of of the second detail brings down the initial joy.

I hope you remember it and post it here because it's starting to gnawing away at me too. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom