• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Style Savvy Styling Star |OT| the New Style Boutique

Junahu

y73ULD8.png

TfllrXL.png

Game Title(s):
Europe: Nintendo Presents New Style Boutique 3 Styling Star​
North America: Style Savvy Styling Star​
Japan: Girls Mode 4​

Genre: Lifestyle/Simulation​
Console: 3DS/2DS​
Release Date(s):
Europe: 24th November 2017​
North America: 25th December 2017 (eShop only)​
Japan: 2nd November 2017​

Developer: Syn Sophia​
Publisher: Nintendo​
Download Size: 6,200 blocks​
Save Size: 240 blocks (All copies of this game, even physical copies, save to the SD)​

hUvLhCn.png
Qy0LNej.png
lapzXD3.png
c3O9g9F.png
vDvOMil.png
YMcyPMm.png
ao8ZqO1.png
HfsaOEg.png
WEHX4aI.png

ZTLPtMU.png

Style Savvy is a store simulator, visual novel, and dress-up game all mashed together in a very "Nintendo" way. Customers walk into your shop, and it's your job to pick out clothes for them to buy. You do this by matching their tastes to your shop's inventory, so it's equally important to buy new clothes for your shop. In many cases your clients have stories that play out as you help them, and in the process your town will grow.​
Compared to previous games in the series, Styling Star has a much heavier focus on its plots, and paces them such that they weave in and out of your daily routine. There are no longer moments in the game where you need to grind, just to see where the story goes next; someone's story is always progressing.​
It's too soon for me to personally rank the game, but it feels like the most polished entry in the series. And it's absolutely the best paced.​
It's not as much of a toybox as Fashion Forward, and it lacks a way to truly challenge yourself like the contests in Trendsetters could. It's also the third Style Savvy game on the same console, with almost nothing having changed in terms of core mechanics. But if you're new to the series, and money is no object, then this is likely the best one to go for​

ZVRhJTe.png

So this is shovelware, right?
Absolutely not. Style Boutique is incredibly polished, oozing with charm, and it's legitimately fun to play. There's a reason why Nintendo put their freaking name on the cover. If you want a game about fashion, this is basically your only choice for a good one.

This game is for young girls, correct?
That's the primary demographic, but not the only one. If you enjoy dressing-up characters and are looking for a gameified version of that, then this is absolutely something you should check out.​
If you plan on picking this up for a daughter/granddaughter/niece to play, bear in mind that this is a text-heavy game, with light elements of problem solving. The game is entirely playable with the touchscreen, or buttons if you'd prefer.​

new Style? Style Savvy? Girls Mode? What's with all these names?
Every region has a different name for this series. In Japan it is known as Girls Mode. In America it is Style Savvy. And in Europe it's Style Boutique. Japan numbers each game (2,3,4), America does not number any of its games(Trendsetters, Fashion Forward, Styling Star), and Europe numbers each game... but counts the 3DS games as their own series (new, new 2, new 3)
Weird, I know. Just know that this is the fourth game in the series, the third game on the 3DS, and it's called Styling Star

Where can I get a physical copy of Style Savvy Styling Star?
You can't. This time Nintendo sent the game out to die as a full-price eShop exclusive. At least, that's the deal in America; Europe and Japan received a physical release.

I don't know the first thing about fashion
No worries! Style Boutique is about intuiting your customer's likes and dislikes, rather than the specifics of colour coordination or seasonal fashion. You can get acceptable results with anything thrown together from their favourite brand. You can even ask the customer for their opinion on the outfit you've picked out for them. You'll pick up better fashion sense naturally as you play, just like any good game.

How much do I have to worry about running my boutique?
Not too much. There are no bills to worry about, and you don't need to pay your employees squat. If you sell the clothes you buy, you earn a profit. If you don't... well you can get some money back through a clearance sale. You will also earn a large chunk of change through the main plot, working with the Nin10Pro talent agency and its clients.
Still, running your boutique well is the best way to earn money, so it pays to be a bit proactive regarding the clothes you stock, or the customers you choose to help

Is there any depth to this game?
Just like previous titles in the series, Styling Star has a surprising number of mechanics running under the hood. You can play just fine with the criteria the player is exposed to during normal gameplay (Image, Colour, Type, Pattern). But your customers will frequently comment on other aspects of your outfits that they love, such as colour/style combinations and accessories. You can even convince customers to buy something that they didn't actually ask for, or something out of their price range, if they happen to like your suggestion enough.

How does the day/night cycle work this time?
Days are no longer real-time, and the city is no longer pemanently awake. You wake up in the morning, and the day passes as you interact with customers and explore the city. By night-fall customers will thin-out, which is your cue to head on home to sleep. This is all much like the second Style Savvy game; there's even a daily tally of your performance that contributes to levelling up your overall style rank.

How long is the main story of Styling Star?
Somewhere between 25 and 30 hours, assuming you run the boutique all day, rather than sleeping after each bit of the story happens.

Does this game support 3D?
It does not, unfortunately. That extra juice has been pumped into giving the graphics a good polish though. Every cloud has a silver lining

I'm familiar with this series already, should I buy this game?
Mechanically speaking, Styling Star is a mish-mash of the best features from the previous games. If you're really in the mood for Trendsetters but with the oddjobs from Fashion Forward, then knock yourself out.
Where Styling Star truly shines is in its main story, which is a significant improvement over its predecessors. The game juggles an impressive number of subplots that all progress depending on your actions. And it's paced very nicely. In my 13 or so hours with the game, I've had something happen every single in-game day.
Can my boutique sell men's fashion?
Your own boutique can only sell women's clothing. However, a Male clothing store will eventually open up during the story, and you're free to serve its customers and dress them up, same as your female clients.

What is the Online Functionality of this game? Is it safe for children?
You can upload your shop, with up to three outfits on display. Other players can then visit this online shop and buy those outfits. Players do not directly interact, so it should be quite safe for kids, though you can still restrict their access using the 3DS' Parental Controls.

Can I use Amiibos like in the previous Style Savvy game?
Yes, Styling Star features a handful of Amiibo unlocks. This time, however, they're all texture and emblem designs you can use when designing custom clothing. It's incredibly small potatoes, but if you happen to have compatible Amiibo, you may as well scan 'em in.
The list of compatible Amiibo is;
  • All Animal Crossing Series Amiibo (including the Cards)
  • All Legend of Zelda Series Amiibo
  • All Kirby Series Amiibo
  • All Splatoon Series Amiibo
  • All Mario Amiibo
  • All Luigi Amiibo
  • All Peach Amiibo
  • All Yoshi Amiibo
Each of the Mario characters get their own unlock, but the other series just have one for that series, and there's one for scanning an Amiibo that isn't directly compatible.

Any advice for newbies?
  • Use the search features to sort through your clothes. If you're not sure what a "Casual Dress" is, or what clothes are "Light-Blue", use the search to check.
  • There's an option to Search by order, which will automatically find all the clothes that match the customer's request. It's not always available, so don't lean on this crutch too much
  • Every time you buy clothes for your store, you get the same clothes for your own personal use.
  • You can consult Fashion 101 any time a piece of jargon shows up in conversation. Use it if you're uncertain what a particular customer is asking for.
  • You can check your stock before you accept a customer's request. You can even tell them to wait a while if you need to order new stock first.
  • Once you unlock the app for your in-game phone, you can use the Restock Market to resupply your shop with any clothing you've purchased before, saving you a trip to the Exhibition Hall.
  • During winter-time, your outfits should be warm. If in doubt, you can usually slap an outer onto the outfit. Beware that certain casual/special-dresses don't layer well with outers, and the customer will reject you if this is the case
  • Most items count for two separate Images at once. For example, a pair of punk boots will likely count as Rock and Gothic. Customers with a preference for either Image will buy them.
  • Buy a variety of clothes, in many different colours and styles. You'll find quite a few customers asking for stuff like "a White Fashion Jacket" or "a Bold T-Shirt", and there's no guarantee that you'll even be able to buy these items on the day.
  • Pay attention to the prices of clothes you buy. Certain brands cost a lot more than others. And while the potential profits are just as high, you may not have any customers who want to buy them.
  • A few sub-plots can happen even when there isn't a mark telling you go to a location. If you have some time to spare before bed, visit a few places to see if anything new is happening.
  • Even when your Stylist Rank bar is filled, you can continue to earn SP to get a head-start on your next levelup.
  • One of the most helpful upgrades you'll get through the Stylist Rank is increased stock-space in your boutique. It starts out quite meager, but balloons out to such absurd proportions later on that it becomes virtually impossible to run out of space.
  • Late in the game, once every Brand is available in the Exhibition Hall, you'll unlock the VIP room. This is a special store that lists everything currently available from every other store, all at once. Unlike the other stores, you can use the Search feature in the VIP room, so you can filter out expensive items, or find Rock items from brands other than Stage Dive.. for example.

YPp7vbf.png

Nintendo Life Review (9/10): This is a must-play for fashionistas, but you don't have to be invested in vestiture to see the appeal; no matter your fashion sense, Styling Star is a perfect addition to your 3DS' winter collection.
Digitally Downloaded Review (4/5): It'd be easy to write off New Style Boutique 3: Styling Star if you're not interested in fashion or fashion games, but I'd recommend at least trying out the demo. If even someone as void of style as me found it as enjoyable as I did, you might just find your perfect fit.
Destructoid Review (8.5/10): Style Savvy: Styling Star is easily my favorite entry in the series yet. It has nearly everything I love about the franchise mixed with a heaping helping of Freeform-level drama, making for a genuinely optimistic experience that exudes charisma with every outfit I put together.
Kotaku Review: After over thirty hours of transforming people in Style Savvy, and remembering all the times a compliment on my outfit brightened my day, I’m a bit more convinced that clothing can be magical.
As you can probably tell, games like this don't get a whole lot of coverage

IGoi00a.png
RIP Miiverse​

Feel free to talk about previous games in the franchise... or how this series' subject matter dooms it to being a borderline niche property... or why this OT even exists with a GAF fanbase of 1 person... or what you ate for breakfast today

Last edited:

kunonabi

No 3d again? Ugh. Still going to be it buy it but im not happy about that. Havent even started the last SS so ill probably wait till the end of january to grab it.

Ugh!!! I pre-purchased and pre-loaded the game on my 3DS, hoping to play come midnight. It’s nearly 1am ET and while my home screen says “Distribution Notification: The scheduled release date for the purchased item has passed. Launch this software while connected to the internet to check distribution information” it won’t let me launch the game. When I try it says “Please wait until distribution has begun”....

WTH Nintendo?! I thought games were supposed to be up and running come Midnight!

Junahu

I'm flabberghasted by how much more story content there is in this game compared to Fashion Forward. I'm on my third in-game month, and pieces of story are still coming in daily. I was honestly hoping to have it all finished before posting the OT, but I don't even know if I'm past the halfway point yet

Alina is my favourite main character thus far

But Rosie is really cute too

One of the coolest little touches is that, at certain points in the story, NPCs can dress you. You can even choose which one.

Shattered-Earth

Neo Member
Ahh i'm so excited to play gain. Anyone know how to unlock more make up colors? The make up palette system seems very cumbersome to be honest right now. I'm still at the very beginning of the game

Junahu

Once you unlock the beautician, Lorelei will sell extra colours of makeup. And increasing your Stylist Rank will add more to her stock.

Top Bottom