• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subnautica 2 to feature multiplayer and adopt GaaS model

Draugoth

Gold Member
ss_a0686edd0106fa67746037a29a9846b8448dff0c.1920x1080.jpg

From Krafton's latest earnings report:

Multiplayer sequel to the original IP pursuing fandom snowballing
  • Explore an oceanic world in stunning stylized graphics powered by Unreal Engine 5
  • Single or 1-4 player co-op to uncover the mysteries on a entirely new alien planet
  • Game-as-a-Service model with enhanced replayability

nemiroff

Gold Member
Co-op, NICE!

As for GaaS, well, depends on how much of the core game is intact and the level of nagging.

I guess it will also go through an eternity of early access..?

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Well, I guess I will give them a year or two to patch things up then and will see what happens. GaaS and MP could also mean online requirements so no playing on your handheld with no WiFi.

winjer

Gold Member
I can already see the BS....

- Seems like you are running out of O2. Would you like to buy some. Please insert your credit card details.

Isn't there a mod to play the first one Co-op? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing one, was interested in trying it out, but never got around to it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Felt inevitable, really. Original is terrific but co-op was always gonna be the the next logical step.

GaaS on the other hand... Subnautica is great because it's a fixed experience with an ending. I had a great time exploring a hand-crafted map and knowing there was a bottom to the tech tree that would get me away from the planet I'd crash landed on.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Big GaaS planet to explore/craft/battle. Seems like the next new thing.

Truth be told I don’t mind GaaS if you’re adding new content if you don’t nickel and dime me for it.

Like it’s been said; this is what most developers are doing.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wasn't there already a Subnautica 2? Or that one doesn't count as a sequel? It was stand-alone I'm pretty sure, not an expansion to the original?

Impotaku

Erm we already had subnautica 2, are they pretending below zero doesn’t exist? Hopefully less buggy than the first two games as at times it was insAnd how janky it was. The amount of times I clipped through walls and got stuck was way too high.

I hope the story follows on as the last game ended with them going to the world where the architects came from.

Buggy Loop

I mean Gaas is so vague.

CS:GO / League of Legends / Dota 2, World of warcraft / Fortnite are gaas and widely accepted

Babylon's fall / Fallout 76 / Anthem / Marvel's Avengers are also gaas and failed

I can't really judge from just gaas.

But subnautica coop is finally happening. Blows my mind they didn't add this to the original after the success.

Do these companies never learn? WTF!!!??
Seriously.
Single player, silent protagonist (live in the world, pure escapism) -- game sells amazing, critical acclaim.

They follow it up in 2021 with you as a strong snarky black lesbian in 3rd person (so i've read), so it changed the entire dynamic. Done to appease twitter? Who knows, all I know is they doubled the price and made it less appealing to me. This game isn't gta , an arpg or action game, first person was great. I wanted a sequel to go into first person again.

So what do they do, they make it even less appealing to a single player gamer like me. They make it co-op so it will be harder without friends playing (sorry as a 45 year old gen xer I don't have many "gaming friends" that play this style games).
Everytime something turns co-op like this and is online co-op they don't make seperate scaling , they just make single player harder as its cheaper to make that way. Seen it time and again in survival games.
Then they push gaas so bunch of cosmetics and other bs, plus always online nonsense.

They want to appeal to the younger fortnite crowd, who is already playing their gaas game . When will they learn gamers that play gaas are not like single player gamers. they don't go to multiple games, they stick to one. That is why its games as a service the game is constantly updating.

Example: Diablo iv- I finish the campaign, i move on to another game. Gaas gamers will play through all the difficulties, and play season after season for some new item or cosmetic. The game doesn't end for them. To me that is boring. I want a new experience a new escape. Gaas players don't play for adventure/escapism, they play to be social... the exact opposite of what I play games for. I know I am not alone in this.

Shubh_C63

Very old notion but I believe Updates (good or bad), Store notifications, Developer updates in Main menu, Popups of new cosmetics in the Main menu is a bigger immersion breaker than the game being just Ok.

Lets just hope create this around solo play first.

Reactions: Gp1

Roberts

Subnautica’s main charm was that you are alone, isolated and have to figure it all out by yourself. That said, I’ve spent what feels like hundreds of hours with my friend playing Grounded (which is a better game overall) and it would have never been as fun playing it solo. So, I will see how it all works out before shitting on this decision to go GAAS.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Glad i stopped supporting this studio after they fired the sound designer or/and focused on the diverse protagonist and other woke crap.

And with this update they completely missing the point of the original. This studio will crash and burn just like every other that's filled with diversity hires and activists. I say good riddance.

bigdad2007

I’m assuming multiplier GAAS means sealing skins Fortnite style.

Hell it’s using unreal 5, might as well do the Lego or Harmonix thing and just release Fortnite Subnautica and be done with it. At least then people can just use their pre bought skins in it.

StereoVsn

Meh, they already messed around with the atmosphere in their 1.5 game.

I guess we shall see what happens, but I have doubts about this title.

Zannegan

oh my god another game where they'll be providing constant support and updates w/ new things to do. this is so awful
See, that's what it should mean. In practice, GaaS typically means barebones content, microtransaction gauging, and weaponized fomo. When games like that succeed, they lean even heavier into those negative traits. When they fail, they tend to fold and be shut down.

It's a no-win proposition for people who like complete experiences and gameplay loops that aren't total hamster wheels.

Here's hoping though that this is one of the few GaaS that actually works like you describe.

Top Bottom