• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subnautica |Early Access| Dive into an alien ocean of danger and beauty

Jeeves

Ahh that update looks really cool. I loved the 30-something hours I played at the end of last summer, but I told myself I wouldn't play again until 1.0! Looks like there will be plenty to come back to.

Arkanius

I bought the game on the last summer sale but I feel so lost in terms of where to obtain my resources.
I started building a sea base but I don't know where to go forward. I have 3 air tanks but it feels insuficient for everything

Anyway, OPTIMIZATIONS :D
That bed will come in handy.

Do I need to start a new game to take "use" of the new update?

Xero

For example, I just made a Cyclops under the assumption that I'd be able to get deeper than 200 meters with it. The in-game database even says it can go as deep as 400 meters or so, but as soon as I approach 200 meters, I start getting the same "hull damage imminent" warnings that I get in the Seamoth. According to the blueprints screen, I've unlocked a module for the Cyclops that will allow it to go deeper, but damned if I can figure out how to make it. It's not listed in the fabricator or the vehicle station, and while I have blueprints for something called a Vehicle Modification Station, the game won't let me build it anywhere in my base.

You will get that warning in the cyclops if the seamoth is on board. Its not actually the cyclips telling you that its the seamoths computer warning you. The cyclops can indeed go further down. Though ive never tested if the seamoth will incur damage while in the cyclops.

SmartBase

This new update is pretty neat but my performance deteriorates much quicker now when I've explored more of the map.

Hmmm, I'm starting to regret my purchase.

I like the basic idea of the game, and all those fancy videos they've been releasing about all the new content made me think they were on top of things, but holy shit is this a buggy game.

Beyond just the constant crashes and the game always hitching when I'm moving around at anything faster than swimming speed, there's enough little bugs here and there that the times where I am stuck make me wonder if it's just part of the game or if it's a bug.

For example, I just made a Cyclops under the assumption that I'd be able to get deeper than 200 meters with it. The in-game database even says it can go as deep as 400 meters or so, but as soon as I approach 200 meters, I start getting the same "hull damage imminent" warnings that I get in the Seamoth. According to the blueprints screen, I've unlocked a module for the Cyclops that will allow it to go deeper, but damned if I can figure out how to make it. It's not listed in the fabricator or the vehicle station, and while I have blueprints for something called a Vehicle Modification Station, the game won't let me build it anywhere in my base.

And like I said, I have no idea what parts of this are bugs or just that the game wants me to do something differently that it hasn't conveyed. I like the idea of the various distress calls you get from your pod sort of goosing you to different areas to explore, but the last few I've gotten haven't been anything useful (one was garbled text, the other just said "REMOVED"). Again, no clue if these are just more bugs or intended.

I'm way too late for this, but you need to make and place a fabricator in the Cyclops to make that upgrade. This isn't conveyed anywhere in the game, I think. The vehicle modification station can only make mods for the Prawn and Seamoth and can only be built in a moonpool.

Sulik2

It took me a good six hours to overcome the deep dread of the ocean this game inspired in me, but now that I am past that I am actually really enjoying this game. Love the discovery and exploration and like the story so far. Surprisingly beautiful at times. Really wish I had a better way to kill the cave jumpers then I do now though. A knife is boring.

Sarcasm

I have that stupid bug where that giant white & red four mouth monster worm is..at my base. Reaver..reaper. Always destroys my seamoth =(

Vlad

You will get that warning in the cyclops if the seamoth is on board. Its not actually the cyclips telling you that its the seamoths computer warning you. The cyclops can indeed go further down. Though ive never tested if the seamoth will incur damage while in the cyclops.

I'm way too late for this, but you need to make and place a fabricator in the Cyclops to make that upgrade. This isn't conveyed anywhere in the game, I think. The vehicle modification station can only make mods for the Prawn and Seamoth and can only be built in a moonpool.

Ahh, that does explain a bit in both circumstances. Thanks.

Either way, I think I'm going to wait until they do the full release to get back to the game. It's a bit less sandboxy than I realized it would be, and since they seem to be adding new chunks of content, I'd hate to "finish" the game now, and then I never feel like going back to see what got added or start a new game to see anything new that got added to the early game.

Sulik2

I need to go deeper, but I am afraid. The lack of any means to deal with large predators as you go deeper is starting to frustrate me.

Wag

This game has me hypnotised. I only need one more part of the Cyclops...

Where the fuck is it!!!!!!?!?!?

Juraash

I've been listening/watching Markiplier's of this game and it looks really great. I think I saw the tentative full release is in May, so I may wait until that point to get it.

That said, the game seems like it has an end goal. Is it possible to just kind of run a playthrough indefinitely and play it like underwater Minecraft? Or is the content fairly focused on getting you through to the end?

Hubble

I've been listening/watching Markiplier's of this game and it looks really great. I think I saw the tentative full release is in May, so I may wait until that point to get it.

That said, the game seems like it has an end goal. Is it possible to just kind of run a playthrough indefinitely and play it like underwater Minecraft? Or is the content fairly focused on getting you through to the end?

You can play indefinitely like Minecraff and progress through its story at your own pace. It really is a great game. I was hooked on it this past December.

Complistic

Currently playing the hell out of this game, it's so much fun. I bought it probably over a year ago, but I recently watched markiplier's series on it, so I decided to boot it up again.

The game's just fun, and terrifying. Like, run away and don't look behind you terrifying.

NH Apache

Banned
Major 2 GB update called Silent Running.

Note: Spoilers may abound in below trailer and patch notes if that matters to you. Seems to be about enemies.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuFoil12HzI

Website: https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/silent-running/

Patch Notes:

Code:
[SPOILER]

PATCH NOTES
Added FX to Nickel Lead and Uraninite drillables
Fixed Seadragon firebreath attack damage to Cyclops
Added Precursor_Gun_ControlRoom lods
Improved pose for lasercutter
Fixed Cyclops Wheel IK
Fixed performance with with Gaspods accumulating in the world
Sound for decoy loading
Create new model and fx on limestone, sandstone, basalt, crashpowder and shale
Added choking sound for player in smoke
Added Fire-Fighting Music for Cyclops
Improved turn around swimming
Fixed issue with creatures swimming in circles if target is right above/below
Fixed scale of resources / drillable models
Changed the depth indicator to not change color with depth
Fixed issue with Exosuit docking in VR
Added updated maproom model
Optimized texture memory used by the chargers UI graphics.
Fixed issue where the water plane would be visible in a Moonpool created above the ocean surface
Fixed players being harmed by Gaspods when they're in a vehicle
Fixed player surface splash effects being played when breaching in a vehicle
Fixed vehicles becoming undocked in the Moonpool when modifying a base
Updated several drillable and resource models
Raised ILZ Corridor temperature to ~50°C.
All Item Icons converted to Linear Color Space and now imported without sRGB correction.
Fixed Seamoth and Exosuit failing to dock to the MoonPool with UpgradeConsole in it.
Fixed missing category icons in UpgradeConsole fabricator.
Added the ability to use the normal controller input in VR (disable gaze based cursor)
Fixed Hardcore death screen not working with the controller
Fixed issue where tooltips and selected item indicator for the controller would draw on top of the near death fade out
Moved base building pieces to dedicated asset bundle.
Moved hologram map meshes to dedicated asset bundle.
PowerUpgradeModule becomes craftable in CyclopsFabricator once picked up.
Updated newsletter box title
Fixed bug where StorageContainers weren't restoring saved items properly
Fixed sign and locker names not being editable
Fixed static effect when switching Cyclops cameras not properly filling the screen on 16:10 aspect ratio
Fixed blue/gray cap tooltip mismatch
No longer confusing new players with locked blueprints from game start.
Updated Sea Dragon Egg in Precursor Lost River Base
Moved depth/compass indicator higher to the top.
Changed Item Icon max size to 128x128 pixels.
Fixed the cursor getting locked to the edges of the Fabricator UI in VR mode
Fixed bug where player's couldn't respawn in the last visited Cyclops or Base after death
New HUD - Stage 2
Added impact FX on the cyclops shield
Added precursor_gun_Lower_Teleporter room lods
Added raw_materials p3 models
Fixed bleeder arm animation interfering with opening the pda
Fixed dead hover fish in hand
Fixed material issue with lods on the base side glass
Fixed workbench lightness in dark
Fixed minor issues with ladder and bottom hatch cinematics
End points for left and right back cyclops ladders
Working Cyclops Fire Suppression System
Updated cyclops ladder climb to have end points that work for vr
Fixed issues with keyboard/mouse in VR (especially with the Vive) - both Oculus & Vive now work with Keyboard/Mouse
Fixed Cyclops/Exosuit docking and undocking in VR
New approach to cinematics in VR where instead of attempting to skipping from code we create special animation sequences
Fixed submarine_fabricator_03 mesh & normal map fix
Added Lava Boomerang, Eyeye and BloodRoot data bank entries
Adjusted Sea Dragon damage based on player feedback
Added most bleeder bashes
Increased self illumination of creatures blood FX
Removed powercells from the destroyed cyclops
fixed vehicle modules not initializing properly when loading a game
fixed exosuit looping jump_in / out animations while airborne
fixed errors when entering a base
adding spark sounds back into life pod
fixing restored lifepod background
fixed floaters being attracted to cyclops from a far away distance
precursor_gun_Elevator room lods
Changed the watermark and save games to display dates in a localized format
Fixed localization of the monitor names in the options
Miscellaneous optimizations of WorldForces
submarine_hatch_07 textures update
setup maximum damage of sea dragon fire attack
Removed dismiss button for email box.
adding ladder climbing sounds for the new cyclps anims
Tooltip redrafts
fixing some clipping issues in the back of the sub and door in launchbay should close now
Remaining Draw/Holster animations, as well as other first person animation fixes/polish/updates
Fixed NRE spam when hovering objects filtered by Targeting.GetTarget but without IHandTarget.
update to laser cutter export trying to fix the wonkiness
Decoy Iteration
Adjusted creatures aggression against Cyclops so that they ignore it when noise is low
Creature Behavior Update is now properly distributed over time.
fixed floaters damage
made some adjustments to the cyclops cinematic triggers to prevent intersecting with the player during cinematics causing the cyclops to shoot off sideways
added the left and right ladder animations
fixed issue where sharks were constantly playing attacking animation
Precursor_Gun_TerminalRoom_02 lods
made creatures be able to attack cyclops decoy
Setup color customization on damaged Cyclops
fixed build bots sometimes not deploying when player approaches
fixed seadragon exosuit cinematic attack
adding ventilation sound to cyclops air scrubbers thing and combining cyclops pre explosion sounds into 1 event
databox fixes
set up a couple of new eggs
sound for seadragon attacking the mechsuit cinematic
Precursor_Gun MoonPool_Hallway_01 and Teleporter_Hallway_01 lods
Fixed up old grassy plateaus caves from russell. Polished surrounding areas and fixed loot spawns in caves.
updated exosuit seadragon cinematic attach point
Cyclops Silent Running Tech MK1
precursor_gun_TerminalRoom_01 lods
updated drill models local position
ghost leviathan sounds implemented
ghost leviathan sounds
removed LODs from Oculus Fish, fixing anim stick and orientation pop
added 5m/s swims for the Oculus fish, updated anim controller, fixed some hitching.
Precursor_Gun_TerminalHallway_02 lods
Added ""Fragment"" to English.json
Hooked up translations for XShapeHatch, Cyclops hatch, Map Room loot
Update prop cannon and bleeder animations in-game. Bleeder anims are still WIP
Reduced Stalker bite damage; tweaked Lava Lizard's aggression; increased Crab Snake attack damage to vehicles; improved Warper behaviour, change aggression of Warper depending on target's virus level
added in cyclops cinematic controller update
Prefab Fixes for antechamber side rooms.
new drillables and models
Precursor_Gun_TerminalHallway_01 lods
Re-timed equip animations
lava larva idle animation addition. crash fish warning idle addition, crash fish size in home fixed.
Fixed sky not being properly applied to all renderers in FloatingStone6
Fixed bug where the save game upgrade warning was displayed when loading an old save with the controller (completely removed now)
Fixed bug where the encyclopedia list in the PDA wouldn't automatically scroll when using the controller
Added anti-aliasing option (no longer tied to texture quality)
Fixed troubleshooting information not being translated or displayed properly
Changed Cyclops piloting key help to be consistent with the Seamoth and Exosuit and fixed non-localized text
Fixed input stack getting into a bad state when pressing 'e' in the console while using the Cyclops cameras
precursor_gun_Entry_room lods
Remove player's blood cloud FX
fixing small bug with the ion crystal animation playing while picking it up while in the exosuit
Fixed HUD indicator icon animation glitches
Added option for fading objects to reduce popping
New HUD Indicators
Fixed issue where the privacy info wasn't usable with a controller
Fixed feedback collector not being properly localized
Added intro PDA VO audio, removed precursor sea dragon references
Input handling improvements
fixed some trail manager issues, disabling trail manager for crabsnakes in mushroom on start
fixed missing basepipeconnector model
Fixed text for entering the PRAWN suit not being localized
more cool cyclops sounds
better cyclops explosion sound
CrabsnakeEgg, CrabSquidEgg, CuteEgg and LavaLizardEggs are now animated.[/SPOILER]

Knew about this game for a long time but only began playing it now, been playing non-stop this weekend. Loving it.

I've finally been able to build a Cyclops... but I didn't anticipate the depth it would need after being launched so it hit the seabed a bit where I built it lol.

Problem I have is that it shows it took about 10% damage so I have 90% left, but how do I repair it? I can't find any breaches outside or inside. Am I missing something?

Edit: I see that at the engine room it shows 1500/1500 health, but the bridge UI elements on the left and when piloting it shows that I have taken about 10% damage. I am playing on the experimental build, I guess it's a bug?

SGa2FNn.jpg

Gs2pJTn.jpg

JaFumJz.jpg

Impulsor

Voice of the deep update released! That was the last content update until release, now only polish and optimization.

I should get back into it. Last time I started over, I could no longer find the entrance into the
crashed ship
... presumably it's moved or changed. Let's see how it goes this time.

Phew, figured out how to get into the Aurora... you didn't need a
propulsion cannon
in the last build I played, that threw me off. Never used that thing before.

Finally picked this back up with the last update coming in, last time I played it was right after they added VR and back then there was no back story and I got bored pretty fast.

The new story is actually pretty nice, like the messages
from the SUNBEAM until it's (currently?) inevitable destruction
were quite nicely done. Still need to get a lot of upgrades before I can work out what is going on with the
infection and alien structures

Also all the added cosmetic items and new upgrade paths are making it easier for me to stay engaged since I can now make things pretty, right now I have a nice volcano base and started constructing a second one in the
Jelly Shroom Caves
with easy access to the surface. Still need to figure out how to make the Seamoth be able to go below 200m though.

So the game is complete now? Just polish etc until release?

All the story elements are here and in July they are supposed to wrap up the end game (assets are here but not tied to the story yet), then August to October is perfs/stability. End of October is supposed to be v1.0.

Chumley

Banned
It's crazy that this, the Long Dark, and The Forest are all 3 almost about to launch around the same time.

I love all 3 but I'm probably most pumped about The Forest just to see what they have in store for their story mode, I think the upcoming patch is supposed to have some more on that.

How is the performance on Xbox One? I picked it up a while ago, but decided to put it down for the time being since it was so choppy. I would love to jump back in though.

Arkanius

Starved for copper. All the time. Stop giving me silver and gold, limestone!

One thing this game makes me is anxious as heck for resources. They are very far from each other, and the limestones are random in terms of giving you resources. They also don't respawn (?)

It makes Surival very hard because you are always dependant on Salt to give you water and cured food.

Anyway, finally built my Seamoth! And watched the Sunbeam event. I don't know where to go now or how to proceed.

One thing this game makes me is anxious as heck for resources. They are very far from each other, and the limestones are random in terms of giving you resources. They also don't respawn (?)

It makes Surival very hard because you are always dependant on Salt to give you water and cured food.

Anyway, finally built my Seamoth! And watched the Sunbeam event. I don't know where to go now or how to proceed.

Survival really isn't as brutal as in similar games because fauna is so plentiful... And if you explore, farming becomes viable and low maintenance (even on the sub!)

Oare

Have they re-balanced thing a little in the later parts of the game?
I'm afraid I'm going to start again from scratch for the fourth or fifth time, then it'll be great when I build my base, begin farming and up to the Seamoth. And then I'll inevitably fall down into the same old horrid cycle of chores trying to gather parts for
that piece of shit Cyclops

Have they re-balanced thing a little in the later parts of the game?
I'm afraid I'm going to start again from scratch for the fourth or fifth time, then it'll be great when I build my base, begin farming and up to the Seamoth. And then I'll inevitably fall down into the same old horrid cycle of chores trying to gather parts for
that piece of shit Cyclops

I just restarted and getting up to the
Cyclops
was much easier than I remembered, particularly the drop rate on
stalker teeth for enameled glass...
just chasing some stalkers messing with salvage for a few minutes did the trick.
. You need to put some effort into finding the plans but from there, it's very doable.

Still getting used to the
large creature attacks
while I'm cruising around... not sure how much I enjoy the
sound stealth
mechanic. It kills some of the joy of being captain of a large vessel and it feels very unreliable. Maybe I'm just bad at it.

Slayven

Brought the game, having a hard time getting started. I managed to build a scanner, but don't really know where to go from there for resources, etc

JDB

Banned
Got this during the summer sale and I'm absolutely loving it so far. Singleplayer survival games with story elements sprinkled in here and there are slowly becoming one of my favorite types of games. The environments are beautiful and the deeper areas make me feel pretty uncomfortable with the of lights and haunting noises in the background. There's also a lot more to the basebuilding system than I had initially thought. I keep unlocking new things to build which really helps feel like you're slowly progressing toward something.

The only thing that bugs me is how poorly the game loads in new areas. There's constant pop-in of both terrain and animals and it stutters while doing do. Can really take you out of it.

Still, this is probably my favorite take on the survival game genre. Time to get working on my Cyclops.

Jeeves

Will we be giving this a proper OT soon for 1.0? Or does this thread get re-purposed for that? As far as I know, they're aiming to launch at the end of the month.

I'm ready to revisit this game, been staying away from it since the PRAWN update.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Will we be giving this a proper OT soon for 1.0? Or does this thread get re-purposed for that? As far as I know, they're aiming to launch at the end of the month.

I'm ready to revisit this game, been staying away from it since the PRAWN update.

I'd say give it a new thread. Repurposing old ones gets confusing.

They've been saying that for about a year now. Every end of the month is going to be launch.

Jeeves

They've been saying that for about a year now. Every end of the month is going to be launch.
Well, I believe they raised the price on Steam last month in preparation for launch, due to some price manipulation law that doesn't allow them to raise the price within a month of launching or something. Seems like they mean it.

KDR_11k

Aw man, my current playthrough has its tech progression stuck because I just cannot find another drill arm fragment... I think the only one I saw was in the Aurora. I don't believe Kyanite can be found in a non-drill form?

epmode

The only thing that bugs me is how poorly the game loads in new areas. There's constant pop-in of both terrain and animals and it stutters while doing do. Can really take you out of it.

Yeah, I was hopeful that this would be addressed before the game was released but it looks like we’re stuck with it. Makes me wonder why they created a VR mode with performance issues like that. It’s a brilliant game otherwise. Easily my favorite survival-em-up.

KDR_11k

IMO the worst pop-in is with wreck parts, I've had cases where they load so late that I've reached them by the time they appear, even got my cyclops stuck in a wreck once because I was half way through it when it materialized. Had to reload a save.

Top Bottom