• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League |OT| Sent to Die

I couldn't agree more, it's no 90+ game, I don't think anyone should've expected that. But I've found it enjoyable and not really worthy of the crosshairs its had on it. But this is coming from someone that was never into Destiny 1/2, etc. So, I never really played a live service game outside of Diablo IV. But it's scratching some itches.

Yeah, I'm still going through Yakuza Zero on the side, but it's been nice to mix it up.
I do think that's the problem. People did expect a 90+ game from Rocksteady. Their last three games are beloved.

MiguelItUp

I do think that's the problem. People did expect a 90+ game from Rocksteady. Their last three games are beloved.
I get that, and that's fair. But knowing that it's a live service, along with all the other stuff that was out in the open, I feel like it was apparent it would be divisive. This isn't another Arkham game and they were clear about that.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I couldn't agree more, it's no 90+ game, I don't think anyone should've expected that. But I've found it enjoyable and not really worthy of the crosshairs its had on it. But this is coming from someone that was never into Destiny 1/2, etc. So, I never really played a live service game outside of Diablo IV. But it's scratching some itches.

Yeah, I'm still going through Yakuza Zero on the side, but it's been nice to mix it up.

My issue is I'm like... 60 hours into Infinite Wealth, Persona 3 comes out tommorow, I am literally heading home early right now to play Granblue fantasy with said mentioned friend (who i have trolled by saying iv bought Suicide squad, getting him hyped and then showing Persona 3 and characters from that shooting themselves in the head, said I will play if they announce Joker is playable, he sent me the Season pass info, I then said "that's The Joker, not Joker" and sent him a picture of Joker from Persona 5... im truly the best kind of friend.)

And then my other group wants to play Helldivers, because where starship troopers fans and waiting for the next update to wipe all our Exp on that game, so helldivers will fill that void... then there's 2B being added this month to Granblue fantasy versus rising... and final fantasy at the tail end...

They sent suicide squad like its original premise, out to die. WTF where they thinking releasing this month.

Last edited:
My issue is I'm like... 60 hours into Infinite Wealth, Persona 3 comes out tommorow, I am literally heading home early right now to play Granblue fantasy with said mentioned friend (who i have trolled by saying iv bought Suicide squad, getting him hyped and then showing Persona 3 and characters from that shooting themselves in the head, said I will play if they announce Joker is playable, he sent me the Season pass info, I then said "that's The Joker, not Joker" and sent him a picture of Joker from Persona 5...)

And then my other group wants to play Helldivers, because where starship troopers fans and waiting for the next update to wipe all our Exp on that game, so helldivers will fill that void... then there's 2B being added this month to Granblue fantasy versus rising... and final fantasy at the tail end...

They sent suicide squad like its original premise, out to die. WTF where they thinking releasing this month.
Yeah, I get where you're coming from.

But honestly, before anyone knew about Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, I bet people would have said something different, like, "Wow, Sega and Atlus are insane putting out their games against Rocksteady's first next gen game. It's going to bury them in sales."

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

But honestly, before anyone knew about Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, I bet people would have said something different, like, "Wow, Sega and Atlus are insane putting out their games against Rocksteady's first next gen game. It's going to bury them in sales."
You know what...

Yeah, that's on point, the only people who could have predicted this was Rocksteady themselves. Only they knew exactly what their game was before we did. They probably thought "no GaaS to compete against, great" but they misread the market, the negative reaction to their reveal of it being GaaS was the giveaway, people want full games when they pay £60, the issue outside of Helldivers 2, is that's this month is jam packed with full releases. Helldivers 2 has the bonus of being less than half the price and a prior experience running the same type of game for close to a decade, with a history of low monetisation and high amount of earnable rewards.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

My issue is I'm like... 60 hours into Infinite Wealth, Persona 3 comes out tommorow, I am literally heading home early right now to play Granblue fantasy with said mentioned friend (who i have trolled by saying iv bought Suicide squad, getting him hyped and then showing Persona 3 and characters from that shooting themselves in the head, said I will play if they announce Joker is playable, he sent me the Season pass info, I then said "that's The Joker, not Joker" and sent him a picture of Joker from Persona 5... im truly the best kind of friend.)

Yeah, I totally get all of that. I'm really not sure why they pushed it to this month. I'm assuming to just allow everything on their roadmap to fall into place better before releasing another game? Can't really say. I'm sure they DID want to polish which is why it was delayed in the first place, but maybe they felt sooner than later was better with other games that are coming in the year.

Oh yeah, before anyone knew it was a live service game, and basically a Crackdown-like, everyone thought differently. However, majority of the "hate" stems from it being a live service game, and the fact it's not another Arkham-like game. Be it coming from fans of the Arkham series, or people that didn't even care to play them or Suicide Squad in the first place. I can't really blame Rocksteady for wanting to do something different other than the same ol Arkham formula. I'm curious to see where they go after this, assuming they don't shutter. The social dragging has been quite a lot.

You know what...

Yeah, that's on point, the only people who could have predicted this was Rocksteady themselves. Only they knew exactly what their game was before we did. They probably thought "no GaaS to compete against, great" but they misread the market, the negative reaction to their reveal of it being GaaS was the giveaway, people want full games when they pay £60, the issue outside of Helldivers 2, is that's this month is jam packed with full releases. Helldivers 2 has the bonus of being less than half the price and a prior experience running the same type of game for close to a decade, with a history of low monetisation and high amount of earnable rewards.
Yeah, that's it. I mean, Rocksteady don't deserve hate, but people reacting negatively to an expensive game in a model that is out of fashion/provokes negative responses, their misreading the market, the extended development time, the lack of variety, etc, that's on Rocksteady. Sometimes, the ball gets dropped, unfortunately. I mean, Nintendo made Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, thinking the instrument controller thing was so hot they should make a racing game around it. I mean, they rethought it and released it for Wii, but it still sucked.

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is a decent breakdown where he remains balanced and doesnt just hate on it because its not an Arkham game, he explains in rational detail why 90% of the game is shockingly shit
molorant-wibugus.gif

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I haven't played the game myself, but, my crystal ball prediction:
My guess is that the people stanning for this game will feel the regret burn in the next week or so, and it'll be forgotten in a month. And then they'll wonder to themselves, why do I like DC so much that I was willing to shill for a shallow GAAS?
Bro go touch grass. If I want to spend my money on what I deem fun, I will go and fucking do it.

So far I got 20 hours of enjoyment and 0 regret. If the end game is shit and seasons don’t add anything I don’t care because I went in just wanting a fun campaign from start to finish which I got. Worth every penny to me.

I like how if I like this or Babylons Fall or rofif rofif likes Forspoken we are all deemed idiots and shills.

These kinds of drive by shit posts from people who haven’t played the game are insufferable. Let people enjoy what they like without being condescending know it all pricks as if you know any better what is a good game to one person from another. Arm chair game critic shit like this is the same as deeming you’re a food critic who posts on yelp when really they are just fat fucks who want a free meal.

/end rant

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Bro go touch grass. If I want to spend my money on what I deem fun, I will go and fucking do it.

So far I got 20 hours of enjoyment and 0 regret. If the end game is shit and seasons don’t add anything I don’t care because I went in just wanting a fun campaign from start to finish which I got. Worth every penny to me.

I like how if I like this or Babylons Fall or rofif rofif likes Forspoken we are all deemed idiots and shills.

These kinds of drive by shit posts from people who haven’t played the game are insufferable. Let people enjoy what they like without being condescending know it all pricks as if you know any better what is a good game to one person from another. Arm chair game critic shit like this is the same as deeming you’re a food critic who posts on yelp when really they are just fat fucks who want a free meal.

/end rant
It's easy to join on the shitting fun.
You are in the club, everyone is cheering, you don't feel out of place.
2023 was one of the worst years for me by just enjoying forspoken and being as vocal about it as haters are about hating it.

The difference is that it takes time and effort to play the game and 0 to shit on it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

/end rant

Can someone screen cap this and send it to Blizzard on X?

Dude was happy paying 100+ for early access to a 6 hour campaign. They will want to know this ASAP, they just found their target demographic.

But joking aside disappointing games get shit on, its a tale as old as time.

Last edited:

/end rant

Damn man, that’s some serious passion.

Arsic

Can someone screen cap this and send it to Blizzard on X?

Dude was happy paying 100+ for early access to a 6 hour campaign. They will want to know this ASAP, they just found their target demographic.

But joking aside disappointing games get shit on, its a tale as old as time.

6 hours eh? Cool.

I guess the 20 hours I clocked to see the credits before end game was spent with the console on idle or something…

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I’ll give a full review of the game in a bit and I’ll address this point in it.

Joking aside all I can imagine is Destiny without the raids in regards to the game content, it might be fine while you have story to do, but once what's there is currently done I don't think I could just go back to the filler missions as an endgame loop. It just reminds me of early division 1.

Last edited:

CSJ

I wonder if this will have any anti-cheat system, I just have this feeling they're going to cock it up big time.

Marvels Avengers didn't have any sort of anti-cheat, there were trainers to buy a lot of the shop stuff and currency/level up characters etc, could even memory edit items gear level so you didn't have to grind each hero out and play for weeks and weeks and weeks.
I had absolutely no more care for that game and just wanted to do high-end stuff with people at a reasonable power scale, have fun and then give up.
Lasted like 3 days there was no way I would've played that normally.

Looool I was right.
You just need to disable EAC, disconnect from internet before loading the game and the re-enable during it loading, and only for solo play.
But you can just edit things, do hard stuff etc and then you can load co-op afterwards with it off.

Fuckin' amateurs I swear.

VO7f3Rr.png

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I have a better example, Redfall.
Redfall is fun though. I enjoyed my time with it after waiting it out for the patches it needed. Same thing with Forspoken(game is unoptimized though) and now Suicide Squad.

I've played a couple GaaS games and Gachas so I kind of know what to get into.

What I find amusing is how so many want to bury the game because it isn't another "Batman" game.

Thus far SS: KtJL is fun and intuitive to play. Nice mobility, very arcade kind of gameplay loop and has all those Arkham nuances with countering enemy types and Suicide/Traversal Strike is your Execution mechanic to restock up on resources. It can be fun, frantic and allows you to play by yourself or with friends.

If it dies out I'll at least had my fun playing it.

Storywise the game feels like a what if story and it's very entertaining for me to play through. Even the characters when presented with the mission of the game's subtitle are all like "we have no chance at pulling this off". I think people need to relax and take a chill pill.

Boomerang and Harley Quinn are my favorite characters to listen to. Deadshot is a try hard and King Shark is your voice of reason. And much like all of DC Comics media Amanda Waller is insufferable and well within her character to be that way. A character you just love to hate.

Arsic

Here's my review of the game UP to end game. (after credits roll) I'll have separate impressions on end game once I put some time into it today.

Let's start with the easiest thing to complement the game on - visuals. There is some odd screenshots/videos floating about where the game looks muted or flat. Anyone in this thread who has played it can back it up that the game looks fantastic. Lots of detail in character's, nice sky box(albeit oddly fast moving clouds?), long draw distances, better water in the ocean that Spiderman 2 which tended to look like jello, and more. There's some issues on PS5 with shadows on small hair strands on character's faces. Particle effects are bright and vibrant. Facial animation is also great in regards to the visuals. Basically, 0 issues with the visuals, and some of the best out there. Is it better looking than the last Arkham game? In some areas sure, and in some areas no. Both have different approaches, and I would bet that it's different leads who were in charge of this. This game has a day night cycle and various weather effects too. Metropolis is also a much brighter city overall with various parts looking different than others, and Gotham is super consistent same same throughout. Character models are hit and miss compared to Arkham. In cut scenes they go toe to toe. In game though it seems they were able to pump out more detail in Batman because you have 4 players and fast movement with far more enemies on screen at once to take into account than Batman. It's dealers choice though --- both look great.

Next up is sound. While the voice acting and sound effects are all well done, the actual soundtrack is extremely forgettable. There is NO good music in this game. Whoever was in charge of the soundtrack took no liberty to have fun with it. If you told me they paid $5 for a license of garbage tracks from someone I'd believe you.

0 performance issues on PS5. 60FPS and never noticed a drop if there was one. Seemed to be 1440P upscaled to 4K? I had 1 bug where the game after a mission locked to single digit fps and caused me to reboot the game. Obviously launch issues existed with game auto completing for first time players, game brought down for maintenance to fix it, etc. That seems to all be fixed.

Online functionality is well implemented. Easy to get into games with friends, drop in drop out, had no lag issues. Friends come in as THEIR version of a character, and join you on the activity you're doing. No complaints here.

Character customization is a bit of a miss. What's here for clothes, hair, and gun attachments, etc is nice, but very limited. Plenty to unlock, but most of it is just color swaps. I'm surprised more costumes weren't included in the base game when compared to even Gotham Knights which had plenty more. My guess, and everyone else's... WB came in with the "make it all DLC" stick. Not sure when their store updates, but it would be a shame if all future cosmetics are behind a paywall because there just isn't enough here, and I've unlocked it all except Twitch drop skins.

------------

Now let's dive deep into the real meat and potatoes here. The various gameplay elements and the story, of which story is easiest to discuss.

Story has hit and miss writing. It made me laugh a few times, and the delivery of lines from every single person is on point to the character they are portraying. Boomerang is clearly the standout and was given the best material. The story itself is self contained, easy to digest, fairly predictable if you've followed the game at all, or even made assumptions. It's not going out to be serious or have some crazy twists. There isn't much of a difference here between this and Spiderman 2. It's all predictable comic book affair. My biggest gripe is the ending, and in general the final boss fight. They basically recycled an earlier fight with an extra element to it. Super lazy shit and it needed to be something standout. I played the whole game on hard mode and this was a cake walk when other parts of the game were not. A certain character death was flat, and should've been redone to be more epic. I get what they were going for, but they didn't stick the landing at all. Overall, it's more of a story of "moments" rather than the whole package. Mileage will vary obviously here, but it was serviceable.

Gameplay has a lot to tackle here, because this is clearly where the developers went and spent those 8 years or whatever, and focused delays on.

First up skill trees. There's good amounts of choice here, but I imagine there's a "min max" version to each character. Sometimes you pick between 2 options as you level, or 3. Each is geared towards different play styles. Defensive, offensive, certain weapon focuses, more damages under X criteria, etc. Once you hit max level with a character a "paragon board" of sorts opens where you can boost specific stats and it combines ALL character levels past 30 into it. I saw things like more % overall health to all characters, shields, damage with certain weapons, and more. They've created just enough carrot here and variety to try to build your own version of a character this way.

In addition to the skill trees we have the customization aspects of your load outs. You'll by the end of the game get access to several elemental afflictions you can cause like shock, freeze, burn, etc that you can be infused into items. Weapons themselves have various perks that get rolled on them, and legendary/notorious/infamy items have unique ones with often "buff at the cost of nerf" kind of choices to make. An example could be this weapon does no damage to grunts, but does 300% more to these types of enemies instead. Legendary weapons also level up as you use them. Allowing you to spend points to buff things like accuracy, mag clip, etc. Melee weapons, grenades, charms, movement mods, etc all lead to a strong level of depth here. This is all VERY well done.

Moment to moment gunplay and traversal IMO various in fun per character. Deadshot for example is the basic bitch of the group. He's the easiest to pilot, has access to snipers, AR, and pistol, and is ... boring AF. My opinion. Then you have someone like Captain Boomerang who is teleporting all over the place, gets shotguns and snipers as well as smgs, allowing you to cause chaos all over the screen. Harley movement always felt "slow" compared to the rest of the pack, but online leaderboards show she's actually the most successful character. Gunplay feels slick though. It is awesome to teleport as Boomer to chuck a nade, jump into a shotty blast, come down sliding into a SMG tear, then rip enemies shields, before launching one of your super abilities. It all flows and feels so damn good. They nailed it.

However, gunplay is only as good as what you fight. While the enemy variety was fine to reach the end credits, I worry about end game. None of these enemies are particularly smart or require thought in the open world. Where the thought comes into play is when you are doing the missions. Often there is a modifier of some kind causing you to have to engage in specific ways. "enemies only take damage from grenades" "enemies only take damage from critical hits, and other hits heal" etc. The second one I just mentioned is great because you have to focus on headshots/weak spots to be efficient. I listed before the enemy types, but unless it's a behemoth, tank, or sniper, you'll likely just mow it down instantly. The COOL thing I got last night near end game is now upon completing a certain set of tasks, a hit squad is sent after me to kill me. These enemies once killed lead to BIG DICK loot, and seemed more aggressive than the usual bunch at least in their approach.

This leads to the issue at hand mentioned above which is mission variety. It isn't as obnoxious as Gotham Knights in doing the same tasks SO many times, or an Ubisoft open world game where they have 20+ of the same thing, but I think I did 5 of each mission type at least. The opening 5ish hours have no repetition then it starts to cycle them. Missions can include getting data shards from killing enemies to add to a bus, extract civilians in time to a bus, clearing out shield generators, taking out giant cannons via weak spots, etc. There isn't enough variety, and unless end game super spices up more activities or adding substantial spins to these, it won't be a game you revisit except when a new season hits to see the new story chunk/fight a boss. When you play a game like Destiny you have a LOT you can do, but I look back at Destiny 1.0 launch or Destiny 2 1.0 launch, and it was barebones to say the least. The saving grace of that franchise was raids. This game doesn't have raids, and I would argue without Raids that Destiny would've never got far to begin with. You look at Destiny 2 now and after many years there is content shooting out the gills from it, but that was years and years of work to get there. The way this game is set up is it looks like they planned with the idea of 3 years of content based off of what happens in the ending of this game if you break it down into one season a quarter per year.

Which leads to everyone's concern who is enjoying the game --- was it successful enough and can it remain successful enough to see its whole content roadmap through? I doubt it, and so I'll just enjoy it until it runs its course. I could be totally wrong here and maybe sales are through the roof, or the end game is so superb it draws in a long lasting hardcore community to keep the game afloat. Who knows? Time will tell.

--------------

Lastly where does this game stack up to counterparts? I find it better than Gotham knights. I find it MUCH better than Avengers. I would say it's not on the level of Diablo 4 or Destiny 2. I won't even get into PoE which is leagues ahead of most all seasonal content games.

I give it a 8/10. If you want to go in to have fun solo or with a friend/s until end game which would be about 17-20 hours, then you should come out enjoying it. Is this a must play in Q1 2024? Nope. Not with games like Prince of Persia, Yakuza, Persona , Tekken, and FF7 Rebirth all here to play. (FF7 to come) But if you find yourself curious beyond February, or we hit the usual summer drought, the game is on sale, a buddy wants to play with you, go for it. Overall it's a fun game, but for many this could be a 6-7/10 experience depending on the character you lock yourself to, if the story/writing does anything for you, and how easily you see behind the curtain of "oh I'm doing this activity again, but only a small change?"

Here's my review of the game UP to end game. (after credits roll) I'll have separate impressions on end game once I put some time into it today.

Let's start with the easiest thing to complement the game on - visuals. There is some odd screenshots/videos floating about where the game looks muted or flat. Anyone in this thread who has played it can back it up that the game looks fantastic. Lots of detail in character's, nice sky box(albeit oddly fast moving clouds?), long draw distances, better water in the ocean that Spiderman 2 which tended to look like jello, and more. There's some issues on PS5 with shadows on small hair strands on character's faces. Particle effects are bright and vibrant. Facial animation is also great in regards to the visuals. Basically, 0 issues with the visuals, and some of the best out there. Is it better looking than the last Arkham game? In some areas sure, and in some areas no. Both have different approaches, and I would bet that it's different leads who were in charge of this. This game has a day night cycle and various weather effects too. Metropolis is also a much brighter city overall with various parts looking different than others, and Gotham is super consistent same same throughout. Character models are hit and miss compared to Arkham. In cut scenes they go toe to toe. In game though it seems they were able to pump out more detail in Batman because you have 4 players and fast movement with far more enemies on screen at once to take into account than Batman. It's dealers choice though --- both look great.

Next up is sound. While the voice acting and sound effects are all well done, the actual soundtrack is extremely forgettable. There is NO good music in this game. Whoever was in charge of the soundtrack took no liberty to have fun with it. If you told me they paid $5 for a license of garbage tracks from someone I'd believe you.

0 performance issues on PS5. 60FPS and never noticed a drop if there was one. Seemed to be 1440P upscaled to 4K? I had 1 bug where the game after a mission locked to single digit fps and caused me to reboot the game. Obviously launch issues existed with game auto completing for first time players, game brought down for maintenance to fix it, etc. That seems to all be fixed.

Online functionality is well implemented. Easy to get into games with friends, drop in drop out, had no lag issues. Friends come in as THEIR version of a character, and join you on the activity you're doing. No complaints here.

Character customization is a bit of a miss. What's here for clothes, hair, and gun attachments, etc is nice, but very limited. Plenty to unlock, but most of it is just color swaps. I'm surprised more costumes weren't included in the base game when compared to even Gotham Knights which had plenty more. My guess, and everyone else's... WB came in with the "make it all DLC" stick. Not sure when their store updates, but it would be a shame if all future cosmetics are behind a paywall because there just isn't enough here, and I've unlocked it all except Twitch drop skins.

------------

Now let's dive deep into the real meat and potatoes here. The various gameplay elements and the story, of which story is easiest to discuss.

Story has hit and miss writing. It made me laugh a few times, and the delivery of lines from every single person is on point to the character they are portraying. Boomerang is clearly the standout and was given the best material. The story itself is self contained, easy to digest, fairly predictable if you've followed the game at all, or even made assumptions. It's not going out to be serious or have some crazy twists. There isn't much of a difference here between this and Spiderman 2. It's all predictable comic book affair. My biggest gripe is the ending, and in general the final boss fight. They basically recycled an earlier fight with an extra element to it. Super lazy shit and it needed to be something standout. I played the whole game on hard mode and this was a cake walk when other parts of the game were not. A certain character death was flat, and should've been redone to be more epic. I get what they were going for, but they didn't stick the landing at all. Overall, it's more of a story of "moments" rather than the whole package. Mileage will vary obviously here, but it was serviceable.

Gameplay has a lot to tackle here, because this is clearly where the developers went and spent those 8 years or whatever, and focused delays on.

First up skill trees. There's good amounts of choice here, but I imagine there's a "min max" version to each character. Sometimes you pick between 2 options as you level, or 3. Each is geared towards different play styles. Defensive, offensive, certain weapon focuses, more damages under X criteria, etc. Once you hit max level with a character a "paragon board" of sorts opens where you can boost specific stats and it combines ALL character levels past 30 into it. I saw things like more % overall health to all characters, shields, damage with certain weapons, and more. They've created just enough carrot here and variety to try to build your own version of a character this way.

In addition to the skill trees we have the customization aspects of your load outs. You'll by the end of the game get access to several elemental afflictions you can cause like shock, freeze, burn, etc that you can be infused into items. Weapons themselves have various perks that get rolled on them, and legendary/notorious/infamy items have unique ones with often "buff at the cost of nerf" kind of choices to make. An example could be this weapon does no damage to grunts, but does 300% more to these types of enemies instead. Legendary weapons also level up as you use them. Allowing you to spend points to buff things like accuracy, mag clip, etc. Melee weapons, grenades, charms, movement mods, etc all lead to a strong level of depth here. This is all VERY well done.

Moment to moment gunplay and traversal IMO various in fun per character. Deadshot for example is the basic bitch of the group. He's the easiest to pilot, has access to snipers, AR, and pistol, and is ... boring AF. My opinion. Then you have someone like Captain Boomerang who is teleporting all over the place, gets shotguns and snipers as well as smgs, allowing you to cause chaos all over the screen. Harley movement always felt "slow" compared to the rest of the pack, but online leaderboards show she's actually the most successful character. Gunplay feels slick though. It is awesome to teleport as Boomer to chuck a nade, jump into a shotty blast, come down sliding into a SMG tear, then rip enemies shields, before launching one of your super abilities. It all flows and feels so damn good. They nailed it.

However, gunplay is only as good as what you fight. While the enemy variety was fine to reach the end credits, I worry about end game. None of these enemies are particularly smart or require thought in the open world. Where the thought comes into play is when you are doing the missions. Often there is a modifier of some kind causing you to have to engage in specific ways. "enemies only take damage from grenades" "enemies only take damage from critical hits, and other hits heal" etc. The second one I just mentioned is great because you have to focus on headshots/weak spots to be efficient. I listed before the enemy types, but unless it's a behemoth, tank, or sniper, you'll likely just mow it down instantly. The COOL thing I got last night near end game is now upon completing a certain set of tasks, a hit squad is sent after me to kill me. These enemies once killed lead to BIG DICK loot, and seemed more aggressive than the usual bunch at least in their approach.

This leads to the issue at hand mentioned above which is mission variety. It isn't as obnoxious as Gotham Knights in doing the same tasks SO many times, or an Ubisoft open world game where they have 20+ of the same thing, but I think I did 5 of each mission type at least. The opening 5ish hours have no repetition then it starts to cycle them. Missions can include getting data shards from killing enemies to add to a bus, extract civilians in time to a bus, clearing out shield generators, taking out giant cannons via weak spots, etc. There isn't enough variety, and unless end game super spices up more activities or adding substantial spins to these, it won't be a game you revisit except when a new season hits to see the new story chunk/fight a boss. When you play a game like Destiny you have a LOT you can do, but I look back at Destiny 1.0 launch or Destiny 2 1.0 launch, and it was barebones to say the least. The saving grace of that franchise was raids. This game doesn't have raids, and I would argue without Raids that Destiny would've never got far to begin with. You look at Destiny 2 now and after many years there is content shooting out the gills from it, but that was years and years of work to get there. The way this game is set up is it looks like they planned with the idea of 3 years of content based off of what happens in the ending of this game if you break it down into one season a quarter per year.

Which leads to everyone's concern who is enjoying the game --- was it successful enough and can it remain successful enough to see its whole content roadmap through? I doubt it, and so I'll just enjoy it until it runs its course. I could be totally wrong here and maybe sales are through the roof, or the end game is so superb it draws in a long lasting hardcore community to keep the game afloat. Who knows? Time will tell.

--------------

Lastly where does this game stack up to counterparts? I find it better than Gotham knights. I find it MUCH better than Avengers. I would say it's not on the level of Diablo 4 or Destiny 2. I won't even get into PoE which is leagues ahead of most all seasonal content games.

I give it a 8/10. If you want to go in to have fun solo or with a friend/s until end game which would be about 17-20 hours, then you should come out enjoying it. Is this a must play in Q1 2024? Nope. Not with games like Prince of Persia, Yakuza, Persona , Tekken, and FF7 Rebirth all here to play. (FF7 to come) But if you find yourself curious beyond February, or we hit the usual summer drought, the game is on sale, a buddy wants to play with you, go for it. Overall it's a fun game, but for many this could be a 6-7/10 experience depending on the character you lock yourself to, if the story/writing does anything for you, and how easily you see behind the curtain of "oh I'm doing this activity again, but only a small change?"
hero GIF

Flabagast

Starting at 61 on Metacritic, oumph

For those of the fence, don't listen to early adopters enthusiastic impressions

amigastar

oof, thats rough.
We will see if the gaming community will accept it as what it is and enjoy it, maybe even.

Last edited:

SCB3

You know what, I've given it a couple hours today as it got delivered a day early and yea I actually like what I'm playing so far, its not a groundbreaking game, but it looks great, plays well and is fun enough

ManaByte

Gold Member

It’s based on 7 reviews, and only 4 of those have a score.

Ulysses 31

There are people with 13 hours into the game and only 53% campaign completion. IGN was spreading more FUD after they didn’t get a free copy.
This reviewer also claims it took around 10 hours with some side content on default difficulty.

Could be the 10 hours claim is just focussing on story missions.

Last edited:

Arsic

This reviewer also claims it took around 10 hours with some side content on default difficulty.

Gotta be story only.

I played on hard and did everything up to end of credits to get to 20 hours.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Redfall is fun though. I enjoyed my time with it after waiting it out for the patches it needed. Same thing with Forspoken(game is unoptimized though) and now Suicide Squad.
People ripped Redfall like it was an F-.

I played the game on GP right away (so no patches or 60 fps mode etc...). It had some awful incomplete looking graphics sometimes, but as whole I think I said I gave the game a 5/10 during my brief play. It was just a super average action/explore the map kind of game where the biggest issues I had were incomplete textures, bad item collision detection making looking/picking up items incredibly finicky and dumb AI (that first boss in the firestation basement had one of those clear "it cannot chase you past a certain line" kind of AI. So I just shot it, ran back upstairs, went back down and shot it again. Probably doesn't have AI to know how to climb stairs.

I found the audio actually pretty good and the frame frate (though 30 fps) surprisingly decent.

Last edited:

Freeman76

I reckon even if you drag your heels and long it out its an absolute max of 12 hours. Maybe playing on a hard difficulty will long it out more due to taking longer to kill shit, or more retries, but anyone trying to claim this has more than 10-12 hours of content storywise is misleading people. There is enough coverage of this game out there now to see what's really up. There is gonna be a LOT of people who buy this and try to justify the purchase...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I reckon even if you drag your heels and long it out its an absolute max of 12 hours. Maybe playing on a hard difficulty will long it out more due to taking longer to kill shit, or more retries, but anyone trying to claim this has more than 10-12 hours of content storywise is misleading people. There is enough coverage of this game out there now to see what's really up. There is gonna be a LOT of people who buy this and try to justify the purchase...
Game length is always misleading from any specific person (always need a group avg kind of thing). One person can be a plot only kind of gamer efficiently beelining the game, while some people take their time exploring and are one of those complete every sidequest and find every treasure chest kind of gamer.

Ogbert

The game may well suck, but having watched a few of this bloke’s videos, I can confirm that he is a complete hipster bellend.

Ogbert

Some of us might come across as defending this game, but that really isn’t the case.

For me, it’s simply my underlying irritation with this new breed of self satisfied, insufferable YouTube reviewer. They all do *exactly* the same thing. Open their little reviews with pompous monologues, opining on how objective they are and how level headed their observations are (all the while throwing in acerbic little asides).

They then go through a series of utterly banal points, all of which we can discern for ourselves (we have eyes), before the most annoying bit; their weary, ‘if only’ conclusion. ‘If only they had come to me, I could have told them what they needed to do’.

Fuck off. Jumped up little twerps.

None of the little pricks deserve review codes.

MiguelItUp

oof, thats rough.
We will see if the gaming community will accept it as what it is and enjoy it, maybe even.
I mean, there are plenty of people in here that have all said the same thing. "It isn't groundbreaking or astonishing, but it's dumb fun." I think that says enough.

The game is going to critically flop. Get over it. It’s not jumping to a 90+ miraculously when more flood in. It’s more likely to drop to the 50s than breach the 70s despite these silly acrobatics
I don't think anyone is going to go to war over the differing opinions that reviewers have. It was never meant to be 90+, the folks here that are enjoying it haven't even alluded to that. Just that it was kind of surprising that they were enjoying it as much as they were. Will this be a situation where the "reception" could improve down the road? Who knows. But there was such a hate boner for this game because....
- It's not an Arkham game
- It's a GaaS game
- The story "leaks" brought these odd Kevin Conroy defenders
- and then some.
All of that alone was enough to drag the game from having any of the slightest positive reception.

Yea its a highlight so far, I dunno I'm enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would
A lot of folks, as well as some outlets, have said "You know, it's not bad, better than I thought it would be." But they're getting written off like "shills" lmao. Saying a game is an entertaining average game doesn't come off like "shill" mentality to me, haha.

RavageX

For me I just won't like it. I didn't like Gotham Knights and I really don't care about Suicide Squad (teams and the general idea behind them).

Does that mean the game is bad? For me, yes. I don't like this type of thing.

Is it broken? No? So that rules out scores like 0s and an F. From there factor in playability. How's the multiplayer? Works smoothly? Graphics? Decent. Performance?

As it keeps going, the game seems like it would sit somewhere around a 6 or 7.

Moving on to reviews...you just can't trust people these days. It's either everyone wants to jump on the "IT SUCKS" bandwagon, or purposely be defiant. Then you have influencers....which I personally cant stand.

MiguelItUp

Definitely gonna buy it looks fun but will wait till more free content comes out.
Wouldn't hurt, it'll drop in price too, so lower price and more content is a win-win if anything.

For me I just won't like it. I didn't like Gotham Knights and I really don't care about Suicide Squad (teams and the general idea behind them).

Does that mean the game is bad? For me, yes. I don't like this type of thing.

Is it broken? No? So that rules out scores like 0s and an F. From there factor in playability. How's the multiplayer? Works smoothly? Graphics? Decent. Performance?

As it keeps going, the game seems like it would sit somewhere around a 6 or 7.

Moving on to reviews...you just can't trust people these days. It's either everyone wants to jump on the "IT SUCKS" bandwagon, or purposely be defiant. Then you have influencers....which I personally cant stand.
Yeah, it may not just be your cup of tea. I tried Gotham Knights and I didn't care for it at all. I don't know what it was about this that interested me, I think it was the whole Crackdown-like thing.

Just because I'm playing it doesn't make me biased at all, lmao. I'm not like that. The game is totally a 5-7 I'd say. But it does scratch itches that make it enjoyable to play so I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would.

You really can't, I feel like it's just gotten worse too. Especially since the gaming community treats review scores and reviewers as if they're some kind of savant. I just feel like the last couple of years when something is "bad", everyone is quick to get clicks and ride that wave. It's why I don't keep up with many at all.

Top Bottom