• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League |OT| Sent to Die

Genuinely surprised how many people on this site are defenders of the GaaS formula.

I thought that a majority of gamers could see how predatory, cynical and anti-consumer they are, but seems like many are okay with it.

*principalskinnerisitmegif*

It’s their money and time

Personally I think they are dreadfully tedious particularly in mission design from what I’ve played of them. Each to their own I guess.

Last edited:
Genuinely surprised how many people on this site are defenders of the GaaS formula.

I thought that a majority of gamers could see how predatory, cynical and anti-consumer they are, but seems like many are okay with it.

It’s not so much that they want to defend the gaas formula itself, there’s a pattern on here and era to a greater extent where a little hate is fine, but for some reason if something is getting unanimously bashed a sect emerges that tries to break to trend to try feel different and/or unique

There’s always a weird tact of positivity from some people no matter how repulsive the product due to I guess some people wanting to defend a game as if it were a person being bullied. Makes them feel righteous about it

MiguelItUp

I genuinely don't even think it's that deep. Plenty of people on here play Destiny 1/2, Division 1/2, Diablo IV, etc. I think it's less about "defending" GaaS, and more so just playing games they're curious about.

Some are certainly more "predatory" than others. This one (at this point and time) at least has planned free content coming in the future, and the battle pass will only contain cosmetic items. The same can't be said about other GaaS games out there, but that's neither here nor there.

It’s their money and time

Personally I think they are dreadfully tedious particularly in mission design from what I’ve played of them. Each to their own I guess.
Honestly, the only one I've played as of late, before this, was Diablo IV. There are people out there that LOVE the formulas. I can see them getting very exhausting.

It’s not so much that they want to defend the gaas formula itself, there’s a pattern on here and era to a greater extent where a little hate is fine, but for some reason if something is getting unanimously bashed a sect emerges that tries to break to trend to try feel different and/or unique

There’s always a weird tact of positivity from some people no matter how repulsive the product due to I guess some people wanting to defend a game as if it were a person being bullied. Makes them feel righteous about it
You can believe whatever you want to believe, but opinions exist and I don't think it's nearly as deep of a thing, haha. The game is average, it ain't for everyone, that's really it. But that could be said about almost anything and everything.

You can believe whatever you want to believe, but opinions exist and I don't think it's nearly as deep of a thing, haha. The game is average, it ain't for everyone, that's really it. But that could be said about almost anything and everything.
maybe it’s not. Maybe it is. I’m just speculating based off a pattern I’ve seen over like a decade on gaming forums online

MiguelItUp

maybe it’s not. Maybe it is. I’m just speculating based off a pattern I’ve seen over like a decade on gaming forums online
I believe it, there are people out there that would practically throw themselves in front of a bullet for something they love or are passionate about. Even if the majority thinks its a turd, but hey, more power to them. "pie_tears_joy:

I genuinely don't even think it's that deep. Plenty of people on here play Destiny 1/2, Division 1/2, Diablo IV, etc. I think it's less about "defending" GaaS, and more so just playing games they're curious about.

Some are certainly more "predatory" than others. This one (at this point and time) at least has planned free content coming in the future, and the battle pass will only contain cosmetic items. The same can't be said about other GaaS games out there, but that's neither here nor there.

Honestly, the only one I've played as of late, before this, was Diablo IV. There are people out there that LOVE the formulas. I can see them getting very exhausting.

I think WarFrame is the best of that kind of continuing service style from the ones I played. For free I thought it was solid but again the mission structure became very repetitive.

For actual fully priced retail games of this kind, nsh not for me. I knew this live service/micro transaction shit would be milked once FIFA Ultimate team became popular .

FunkMiller

The game is average, it ain't for everyone, that's really it. But that could be said about almost anything and everything.

If you think it’s average, why is every post you’ve made in this thread defending it? Thats the bit I don’t get.

This game seems like a nailed on 6 or 7 out of 10, with a lot of typical GaaS bullshit that ruins the experience (things like super short campaign, no real ‘ending’, promises of ‘more to come!’, asking full price and then charging even more money, battle passes, MTX, etc.)

I just dont get the immediate jumping to the defence of stuff like that… but, as I say, maybe it’s me who’s out of touch.

Sesame Street Idk GIF

MiguelItUp

I think WarFrame is the best of that kind of continuing service style from the ones I played. For free I thought it was solid but again the mission structure became very repetitive.

For actual fully priced retail games of this kind, nsh not for me. I knew this live service/micro transaction shit would be milked once FIFA Ultimate team became popular .
I agree, Warframe also had one of the best "phoenix rising from the ashes" stories too IMO. Yeah, full retail priced games doing it feels awfully gross, no denying that at all. But it's apparent that WB Games hasn't learned their lesson and they're not going to stop anytime soon I'm sure.

GaaS aside, I was surprised this game was going the route they were with future content. At least, what they said they would do. WB Games has been so money hungry for years now, they just keep adding paid currency and shit to their full priced games. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Wonder Woman game has it as well.

MiguelItUp

If you think it’s average, why is every post you’ve made in this thread defending it? Thats the bit I don’t get.

This game seems like a nailed on 6 or 7 out of 10, with a lot of typical GaaS bullshit that ruins the experience (things like super short campaign, no real ‘ending’, promises of ‘more to come!’, asking full price and then charging even more money, battle passes, MTX, etc.)

I just dont get the immediate jumping to the defence of stuff like that… but, as I say, maybe it’s me who’s out of touch.

Sesame Street Idk GIF
It is most certainly is average, I'm just in the mood to talk, and it's something I'm currently playing. Makes sense to me, lol.

Oh yeah, most certainly. I personally don't care about reviews or review scores, but saying it's in the middle sounds right to me. I was curious because of all the negative press, and I enjoy it for what it is, that's really it. Could it be a lot better? Hell yeah, it SHOULD'VE been. It also shouldn't have been a GasS, but that can't be changed. 🤷‍♂️

I don't think anything I've done has come off as "defending" and if it did, that was most certainly not intentional, my bad, lmao. I haven't defended anything that revolves around opinions, and if I did, it most certainly wouldn't be this game. It's not you that's out of touch at all dude, nothing like that.

Edit: Whoops, post spam, my bad!

Last edited:
I agree, Warframe also had one of the best "phoenix rising from the ashes" stories too IMO. Yeah, full retail priced games doing it feels awfully gross, no denying that at all. But it's apparent that WB Games hasn't learned their lesson and they're not going to stop anytime soon I'm sure.

GaaS aside, I was surprised this game was going the route they were with future content. At least, what they said they would do. WB Games has been so money hungry for years now, they just keep adding paid currency and shit to their full priced games. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Wonder Woman game has it as well.

I do think it’s having a negative effect on gaming, ask yourself what is the limit to how far this will go in fully priced games and who and how publishers/devs and players will justify it.

Away from gaming just look at YouTube, when it started growing who would of thought in years to come creators would only interact with comments if they came with a donation or the strong notion a content creator needs paying because they spend a handful of hours a week in a discord chat. Think about it, nothing was stopping them making videos before they could monetise but as soon as they could, more often than not their content not only dramatically changes (for the worse sometimes) but they suddenly can’t do it without donations and of course now we have the next step with memberships. I’d have more respect if they were honest and said “look, I can monetise and I want to make as much money as I can from this”

Back to gaming, It wouldn’t surprise me if they introduced ads into that battle pass shit , watch so many ads a day to progress rather than pay.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I do think it’s having a negative effect on gaming, ask yourself what is the limit to how far this will go in fully priced games and who and how publishers/devs and players will justify it.

Away from gaming just look at YouTube, when it started growing who would of thought in years to come creators would only interact with comments if they came with a donation or the strong notion a content creator needs paying because they spend a handful of hours a week in a discord chat. Think about it, nothing was stopping them making videos before they could monetise but as soon as they could, more often than not their content not only dramatically changes (for the worse sometimes) but they suddenly can’t do it without donations and of course now we have the next step with memberships. I’d have more respect if they were honest and said “look, I can monetise and I want to make as much money as I can from this”

Back to gaming, It wouldn’t surprise me if they introduced ads into that battle pass shit , watch so many ads a day to progress rather than pay.
Sad but true, and I couldn't agree more. The more attention and money some games get, the more thirst AAA publishers get. We've been experiencing it a lot for awhile. The best thing that has come from it are the notable devs that clearly don't agree that branch out to form their own studios to detach themselves from the publishers.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What exactly is predatory about the microtransactions in SS? Like my god the overwrought handwringing of "gamers." In an industry where studios are being swallowed up in a big corporation "space (in your entertainment shelf) race" and then laying off workers en masse, where products are routinely released undercooked and underdelivered most often to meet the unrealistic demand of "moar profit" from shareholders and creative big budget risks are largely a thing of the past, that a third party developer puts out a GaaS game - a GaaS game they have committed to provide all relevant game content for funking free - with a cosmetic Battlepass (that NEVER expires) is the hill "Chicken Littles" are dying on is funking mental. Like if any of you teeth gnashing had actually played the game or actually read up on what it actually contained, instead of watching some YouTube video of all the cutscenes and now feeling like "Yeah, I get the game and aren't talking out my arse when discussing the 'live service' elements of the game and how it plays overall" - sure, agree to disagree, but sure. But you clearly can't even be bothered to do that. Sheesh.

. . .and roflcopter at Warframe - WARFRAME - of all GaaS games being held up as some shining example of non-predatory MTX. Is the "Bizarro World" Season of SS:KTJL already here?

FunkMiller

What exactly is predatory about the microtransactions in SS? Like my god the overwrought handwringing of "gamers." In an industry where studios are being swallowed up in a big corporation "space (in your entertainment shelf) race" and then laying off workers en masse, where products are routinely released undercooked and underdelivered most often to meet the unrealistic demand of "moar profit" from shareholders and creative big budget risks are largely a thing of the past, that a third party developer puts out a GaaS game - a GaaS game they have committed to provide all relevant game content for funking free - with a cosmetic Battlepass (that NEVER expires) is the hill "Chicken Littles" are dying on is funking mental.

I love how you're (rightly) complaining about undercooked games made only to generate profit for shareholders that are creatively risk free... while simultaneously defending Suicide Squad Kill The Justice League.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I love how you're (rightly) complaining about undercooked games made only to generate profit for shareholders that are creatively risk free... while simultaneously defending Suicide Squad Kill The Justice League.

No one is defending anything. Literally no one in this thread cares if you "don't like the thing." It would just be nice if some of you weren't such a bore about it. Gaming isn't dying because funking SS was released and a few thousand smooth-brains enjoy its basic-bitch-ass gameplay; game is literally pushing up against three giant assed, well reviewed, single player JRPG's not to mention several giant ass, record breaking, single player games in its rearview mirror. All this posturing about "GaaS is a cancer and killing bleep bloop on Flimflam and will no one think of the children with FOMO!" is worse than (self-evidently) wrong. . .it's just boring.

. . .and so funking obvious. Like why don't we see this handwringing in the "good seeming" live service threads. Don't see folks fightin' that oh so important to gaming "Anti-Cosmetic Battlepass" fight in the HELLDIVER 2 thread.

FunkMiller

No one is defending anything. Literally no one in this thread cares if you "don't like the thing." It would just be nice if some of you weren't such a bore about it. Gaming isn't dying because funking SS was released and a few thousand smooth-brains enjoy its basic-bitch-ass gameplay; game is literally pushing up against three giant assed, well reviewed, single player JRPG's not to mention several giant ass, record breaking, single player games in its rearview mirror. All this posturing about "GaaS is a cancer and killing bleep bloop on Flimflam and will no one think of the children with FOMO!" is worse than (self-evidently) wrong. . .it's just boring.

. . .and so funking obvious. Like why don't we see this handwringing in the "good seeming" live service threads. Don't see folks fightin' that oh so important to gaming "Anti-Cosmetic Battlepass" fight in the HELLDIVER 2 thread.

I'm anti any GaaS games. Any of them. The reason this game is getting more attention that Helldivers 2 is because it's a very high profile release from a triple AAA publisher, who used to make excellent single player, complete game experiences.

You say 'no one is defending anything' while at the same time defending the game as hard as you possibly can.

At least have the courage of your convictions to just plain say you like GaaS games, and don't have a problem with the way they are ruining excellent developers and creating a toxic environment in the games industry.

Your argument that 'shitty GaaS games that destroy developers are fine, because there are other games out' is some weak ass shit, don't you think?

And why do you keep saying funk and not fuck? Do you have problems? Or is it some reference to my name?

Last edited:

poodaddy

......stop it.

The funk substitution for fuck thing?

Stop. Knock it off.

Kenan Thompson No GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:

Freeman76

Sesame Street Idk GIF
Mate that perspective isnt out of touch, I wouldnt even question that. These people who support and defend shit like this are a different breed. Most of them left to build Resetera but some are still here.

SCB3

I'm anti any GaaS games. Any of them. The reason this game is getting more attention that Helldivers 2 is because it's a very high profile release from a triple AAA publisher, who used to make excellent single player, complete game experiences.

You say 'no one is defending anything' while at the same time defending the game as hard as you possibly can.

At least have the courage of your convictions to just plain say you like GaaS games, and don't have a problem with the way they are ruining excellent developers and creating a toxic environment in the games industry.

Your argument that 'shitty GaaS games that destroy developers are fine, because there are other games out' is some weak ass shit, don't you think?

And why do you keep saying funk and not fuck? Do you have problems? Or is it some reference to my name?
So why the fuck are you in here? If you don't like GaaS games in general, cool no issue I get it, but don't waste your time telling everyone about it and telling them their likes and opinions are wrong

The dude who loves Forspoken on here said in this very thread that 2023 was the worst year of his life because he loved Forespoken and defended it and people made fun of him for it.

I think it’s generally not a great plan to want to defend a video game and take it personally if someone doesn’t like it. I mean….honestly who gives a shit. It’s one of the least important things on the planet to care about whether a video game is disrespected.

I guess it’s kind of where people take on things they like as their entire personality. Gamers, that kind of thing.

Last edited:

Majukun

game doesn't look terrible , bu

*principalskinnergif*
formula would not be successfull if it didn't have fans

Ogbert

You can, rightly, level many things against this game.

Spending hundreds of millions of dollars developing an online GaaS game only to see it fail is not ‘risk free’.

In fact, the risk free and creatively timid option for shareholders would have been another Arkham.

kyussman

*principalskinnergif*
I think for a lot of younger people these games must be basically just hang out games,the quality of the game isn't really that important.....you know what it's like when you get a group of friends together,you can turn the most mundane situation into a riot.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

You can, rightly, level many things against this game.

Spending hundreds of millions of dollars developing an online GaaS game only to see it fail is not ‘risk free’.

In fact, the risk free and creatively timid option for shareholders would have been another Arkham.

Creatively risk free. You can't tell me that in any way a looter shooter designed for 4 player multiplayer starring the Suicide Squad is in any way creatively risky on any level. The IP is oversaturated, and the format is also a very well trodden path. As is evil Superman.

Creatively risky might have been a Suicide Squad single player game that actually featured a curated story, with uniquely designed levels, and a deep storyline that has actual consequences - rather than 'everything will be okay in future seasonal content!' and repetitive gameplay designed to keep people playing and playing and playing, instead of anything reaching a satisfying conclusion.

Or, you know, Gotham By Gaslight. Which would have basically been Batman crossed with Bloodborne. Pretty sure a Rocksteady game of that might be doing a bit better...

FunkMiller

So why the fuck are you in here? If you don't like GaaS games in general, cool no issue I get it, but don't waste your time telling everyone about it and telling them their likes and opinions are wrong

Because it's a gaming forum and this thread is about Suicide Squad.

Jesus, dude. If you get this hot under the collar about someone dragging a fucking GaaS game, maybe it's time to pop off the 'puter and go get some fresh air.

Ogbert

Creatively risk free. You can't tell me that in any way a looter shooter designed for 4 player multiplayer starring the Suicide Squad is in any way creatively risky on any level. The IP is oversaturated, and the format is also a very well trodden path. As is evil Superman.

Creatively risky might have been a Suicide Squad single player game that actually featured a curated story, with uniquely designed levels, and a deep storyline that has actual consequences - rather than 'everything will be okay in future seasonal content!' and repetitive gameplay designed to keep people playing and playing and playing, instead of anything reaching a satisfying conclusion.

Or, you know, Gotham By Gaslight. Which would have basically been Batman crossed with Bloodborne. Pretty sure a Rocksteady game of that might be doing a bit better...
Nothing about your suggestions (which would be great games) is creatively risky. A good game is a good game. The risk is ‘single player’. That’s the tension that exists at boardroom level.

I disagree with you in that I don’t see GaaS as inherently a bad thing. The Division 2, for example, delivered me 100s of hours of excellent content, the equal of any single player title, creating an ongoing and interesting game world. That game is both creatively ambitious and well delivered. And the pricing was, if anything, way better than a one off single player title.

Video games are an expensive business and to place creative freedom at the core is to deny the financial reality of how people consume games these days. It’s reflecting gaming rather than moulding it.

As pointed out in another thread, Ubisoft made one of their best single player titles in years and no one bought it. I’m sure they will be thrilled with the creative accolades!

Killjoy-NL

*principalskinnergif*
What's wrong with multiplayer games that actually see continuous support?

If it's predatory, it's on the publisher/developer, not on GaaS as a concept.

We could also turn it around:
Why are so many Gaffers cheapskate grumpy boomers hanging onto the past and archaic concepts?

Bought it out of interest.

I don't feel that it is predatory like GAAS stuff can be as you can totally ignore the store but the gameplay and environments have obviously suffered thanks to the need for 4 main characters.

The gameplay is very fluid and fun and has just enough depth to be interesting but it's not going to win any awards. Traversal is very fun and different for each character. The characters do feel different enough after all the complaints about everyone just using the same guns etc.

Runs very smoothly on my PC (set the 144fps target and it's mostly around that with no RT as it's not impressive just low res reflections). The graphics are a mix of some of the best I've ever seen with some of the character models and kind of shit with everything else. HDR totally borked with raised black levels.

I loved the Batman games but DGAF about the legacy or any shit like that so I couldn't care less if the Justice League go out like chumps - the story in this is stupid but kind of fun and enough jokes land to make the humour work. If you can get past that then I can't see why you wouldn't have a good time but my understanding is that this is very short and the copy paste missions will get old very fast.

The open world doesn't seem to have any depth and there is nothing there but random mobs but maybe there will be stuff later on.

Like a 6.5 or 7 out of 10. The IGN 5/10 is a joke when Gollum got 4 as this game works and play really well but it's rather shallow and anyone giving this more than 7 is very generous. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy this at full price unless they love the look of the gameplay loop and don't mind £60 9 hour games.

It is a shame they didn't make a Justice League game but it is what it is and this is a fun time that will probably get closed down after a year or two like Avengers so don't go spending money on skins. This game will be a huge disaster for Rocksteady and the devs but you may as well blast through the story if you see it cheap as the game is fun.

FunkMiller

What's wrong with multiplayer games that actually see continuous support?

If it's predatory, it's on the publisher/developer, not on GaaS as a concept.

We could also turn it around:
Why are so many Gaffers cheapskate grumpy boomers hanging onto the past and archaic concepts?

Gen X, thanks Junior. Now off you pop back to your Fortnite, and not being able to afford a house.

Single player game: 'archaic concept'. Good grief.

FunkMiller

Nothing about your suggestions (which would be great games) is creatively risky. A good game is a good game. The risk is ‘single player’. That’s the tension that exists at boardroom level.

I disagree with you in that I don’t see GaaS as inherently a bad thing. The Division 2, for example, delivered me 100s of hours of excellent content, the equal of any single player title, creating an ongoing and interesting game world. That game is both creatively ambitious and well delivered. And the pricing was, if anything, way better than a one off single player title.

Video games are an expensive business and to place creative freedom at the core is to deny the financial reality of how people consume games these days. It’s reflecting gaming rather than moulding it.

As pointed out in another thread, Ubisoft made one of their best single player titles in years and no one bought it. I’m sure they will be thrilled with the creative accolades!

Duly noted on The Division 2. But that didn't require a highly experienced and talented developer to sacrifice everything they were good at, to chase a corporate mandated strategy. I'm looking forward to the post-mortem, when ex-Rocksteady employees start talking.

And the seemingly endless failures of GaaS games in the past few years would seem to suggest that's it's the wrong strategy for success. A shame, unlike Naughty Dog, that Rocksteady weren't able to pull the plug, before flushing themselves down the toilet.

Prince Of Persia was horrifically overpriced for what it is, because Ubisoft. And people don't trust Ubisoft... because they're Ubisoft.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Gen X, thanks Junior. Now off you pop back to your Fortnite, and not being able to afford a house.

Single player game: 'archaic concept'. Good grief.
What makes you think I play Fortnite?

Just applied the same logic the other way round.

There is nothing wrong with GaaS.
Any predatory practices are on the pubs/devs.

FunkMiller

There is nothing wrong with GaaS.
Any predatory practices are on the pubs/devs.

There's something very wrong with GaaS when otherwise great game developers are forced to make them by halfwit executives. And the fact gamers like yourself will let them get away with it, just means that we'll continue to have great developers forced to make them... with similar results. I cheerfully admit to being an old man, but I'm pretty sure I prefer that to being a younger gamer who likes GaaS games, and contributes to the continuing slide the games industry is on.

Killjoy-NL

There's something very wrong with GaaS when otherwise great game developers are forced to make them by halfwit executives. And the fact gamers like yourself will let them get away with it, just means that we'll continue to have great developers forced to make them... with similar results. I cheerfully admit to being an old man, but I'm pretty sure I prefer that to being a younger gamer who likes GaaS games, and contributes to the continuing slide the games industry is on.
But what if those great game developers are doing it, because they want to?

Times change, as does the market and there's room for both traditional singleplayer games and GaaS.

Btw, I'm 40, so it's not like I'm a 13yo Fortnite-addict.

Last edited:

SCB3

Because it's a gaming forum and this thread is about Suicide Squad.

Jesus, dude. If you get this hot under the collar about someone dragging a fucking GaaS game, maybe it's time to pop off the 'puter and go get some fresh air.
Again, have you played the game? What opinion are you offering other than “I don’t like Gaas, so I won’t be playing this”

Like cool, good for you I guess?

And then you default to “touch grass” when questioned back, so again what are you offering to this discussion? Cause so far it’s nothing

FunkMiller

Again, have you played the game? What opinion are you offering other than “I don’t like Gaas, so I won’t be playing this”

Nope. Have no intention of doing so either, because I'm not supporting this shit. It's incredibly easy to see the damage GaaS is doing to video gaming. You'd have to be lobotomised, or just not paying any attention not to see it, if you're a video games fan.

Last edited:

SCB3

Nope. Have no intention of doing so either, because I'm not supporting this shit. It's incredibly easy to see the damage GaaS is doing to video gaming. You'd have to be lobotomised, or just not paying any attention not to see it, if you're a video games fan.
So now I’m not a video game fan? Despite having a massive collection? Gatekeeping much?

And despite my game of the year last year being BG3, to you, nope doesn’t count, because I happen to like a game, which btw I rate at a solid 7/10

Keep in mind I’m not even defending the game, I see it’s flaws, but it’s not bad or broken, it’s fine

So again I ask you, what are you offering to this discussion?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Keep in mind I’m not even defending the game, I see it’s flaws, but it’s not bad or broken, it’s fine

What is it with you guys insisting that you're not defending the game... while spending every post defending the game?

The problem you've really got is somebody else doesn't like a type of game you do. And you can't just let that slide, without swearing at them, and getting your knickers in a twist.

I hate GaaS games. For what I feel are very good and valid reasons that I've outlined here. And I've got a right to state that - unless the mods decide otherwise, in which case no problem. But you don't get to do that, junior.

SCB3

What is it with you guys insisting that you're not defending the game... while spending every post defending the game?

The problem you've really got is somebody else doesn't like a type of game you do. And you can't just let that slide, without swearing at them, and getting your knickers in a twist.

I hate GaaS games. For what I feel are very good and valid reasons that I've outlined here. And I've got a right to state that - unless the mods decide otherwise, in which case no problem. But you don't get to do that, junior.
Read through my posts then, you’ll see exactly what I’m thinking about it

So I assume you’re going to every Gaas game thread here and posting your opinion then?

Top Bottom