• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Wow.

VmS4e.jpg
FBWGC.jpg
WYruW.jpg

I really don't think any words I come up with now will do justice to this film. I think... Even if I didn't enjoy the two seasons of the Haruhi TV show, I would still have loved this to death. This film is basically everything good and right about the franchise condensed in a perfect little package. Almost three hours... But, honestly, I really wouldn't have minded if it lasted ten hours. Maybe my bowels would, but I sure as hell wouldn't.

So... The story is basically about Kyon coming to terms with his
rose-colored life
and realizing that Yuki
DESERVES SOME GODDAMN ATTENTION.
In the end, everything
seems mostly the same... But that's not true at all, considering how we see this world through Kyon's perspective - which, well, turned 180º.
And the events that led everything to this point were delicious to watch. You can feel the tension, the suffering, the doubts... And then,
when you think you've got it all figured out, comes Asakura and freaking stabs you in the back.

The film didn't change the way I view any of the characters.
What it did was reinforce my feelings towards them. Nagato's just... Oh my heart. The interactions between her "faulty" version and Kyon were some of the most bittersweet moments in the history of anything I've ever watched. The scene in which he hands her back the Literature Club registration form was absolutely _________ (fill the gap - I have no words). And then, when Kyon's back to the regular world, Koizumi tells him to look down, and he sees her. Fuck the haters, man... Haruhi, man.
In short: Kyon is the luckiest 2D guy ever.

10/10. I don't even give a shit. And I'll punch anyone who skips
Yuki's singing
in the credits.

That's an interesting opinion. As it's generally said that Hosoda is an extremely talented up and coming director perhaps you could explain what you don't like about his direction? Is it to do with the stories he adapts? The way he shoots them? Some aspect of his film style?

Well I was mostly just trolling. I have very little knowledge about direction in general. That's why I always focus on art and writing in my posts rather than that. And I mean I praise stuff that people here say has shit direction, so yeah...

I guess if I was to voice a completely subjective complaint, it's the stories he adapts, but the only 2 I've seen in full are TGTLTT and One Piece movie 6, the latter of which I liked (albeit not to the same extent as other OP movies like 4 and 10).

Unfortunately, whoever ends up animating it will never be able to get it looking like that concept art.

It's a comedy about economics. If anything, I would call that art style jarring for the genre.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Asuza is dead?

While I'm sure Ono is a fine writer and all, the driving force behind the narrative/characterization/etc. is definitely Kenji Nakamura.
I want to believe in the writer! lol

I saw somewhere that this is supposed to last a year, which wouldn't surprise me considering its prime-time airing slot and the fact that Studio Pierrot normally does longer shows. As long as they come up with enough material, I suppose they can keep it going as long as they want.

Oh, and the last report on the scandal is that the mangaka had settled her issues with her publisher and everything was going to go forward smoothly.
Polar Bear Cafe is a year long show? Well, I guess I'm not going to complain, but that's surprising. I can see how the show could be mainstream anyway... adult characters, very little anime bullshit... it's something the whole family could watch without the embarrassed/apologetic looks.

And that's great that the stuff is all settled anyway.

Wow.

I really don't think any words I come up with now will do justice to this film. I think... Even if I didn't enjoy the two seasons of the Haruhi TV show, I would still have loved this to death. This film is basically everything good and right about the franchise condensed in a perfect little package. Almost three hours... But, honestly, I really wouldn't have minded if it lasted ten hours. Maybe my bowels would, but I sure as hell wouldn't.

rose-colored life
and realizing that Yuki
In the end, everything
seems mostly the same... But that's not true at all, considering how we see this world through Kyon's perspective - which, well, turned 180º.
And the events that led everything to this point were delicious to watch. You can feel the tension, the suffering, the doubts... And then,
when you think you've got it all figured out, comes Asakura and freaking stabs you in the back.

What it did was reinforce my feelings towards them. Nagato's just... Oh my heart. The interactions between her "faulty" version and Kyon were some of the most bittersweet moments in the history of anything I've ever watched. The scene in which he hands her back the Literature Club registration form was absolutely _________ (fill the gap - I have no words). And then, when Kyon's back to the regular world, Koizumi tells him to look down, and he sees her. Fuck the haters, man... Haruhi, man.

Yuki's singing
in the credits.

Yeah really loved the movie.

Wow.

rose-colored life
and realizing that Yuki
In the end, everything

Yuki's singing
in the credits.

ibmQNj7ObCdJtB.gif

kyoani tears.... yum.

Soma

Kara No Kyoukai 05: Paradox Spiral

I don't have much to say about the fourth film other than the fact that 2 and 4 could easily be condensed into a single film since there's really only a few plot points required, imo. I liked 4 a little more than 2 in terms of setting up Shiki's story. It's also slightly shorter so that sort of helps in a way. So basically duckroll was right. 1,3, and 5 honestly do make for a good trilogy on their own.

Anyways onto KnK 5:

Wow.

It's been a while since an anime has blown my mind like that.

This film feels like it's on such a different level than the previous four in terms of structure, length, presentation, and direction. The non-linear narrative was an interesting and unexpected choice for the fifth film. At first it's a bit jarring and slightly overwhelming with how much is presented in the beginning. The use of repeated scenes, seemingly random shots that provide clues to an upcoming scene, and out of sequence shots to try to mess with your head. People may have a problem with the story direction and the use of repeated scenes, but I honestly loved their usage here.

What's crazy about all that is how well it's all implemented. It's a lot to take in at first but the film doesn't leave the viewer completely lost by the end. It's still one of those movies where you gotta pay attention to and follow the details it hands you.

With all that said, it's still an impressive looking film just like the rest of the previous ones in the series. The action scenes were really well animated and awesomely choreographed. While the fights in 1 and 3 weren't the best that ufotable has to offer, the fifth film more than makes up for that with some great fight scenes though the last one had some rather dizzying camera work. I liked that Touko had some time to shine in this film as well. We see not only her true abilities in full force but also an insight to her past life and her relationship with the pair of antagonists. The antagonists were also a bit of a departure from the previous ones as they were more fitting of the "villain" archetype than the more sympathetic antagonists of films 1 and 3.

If I had to have a complaint about the film, it's probably Kokuto. Not even because his character is annoying in general (though he's not as bad here), it's just his scenes kinda drag on towards the middle of the film. Though with such a strong start, one could probably take the middle of the film as a bit of a breather before the story picks up its pace again towards the end. The story doesn't really center on Shiki as much in this film as it focuses instead on the new character Shirou's Tomoe's story and Touko's relationship with the antagonists. She's still very much an important character but it's interesting to see her take a backseat to the rest of the cast of characters for a good portion of the film.

Ones full enjoyment may also have to do with much Nasu-shit they can tolerate here. There's some jargon regarding “origins” and such that the expanded Type-Moon universe also dwells in. Thankfully on its own merits, it's a wonderfully structured film with very good production values. The visual and audio quality is just as good as the previous films though I didn't find the music in this one to be as memorable. I can't recommend this film enough especially to those who enjoyed Fate/Zero let alone those interested in the Type-Moon universe. Great film except now I've come to a bit of a predicament-

I have absolutely no desire to watch the rest of the films now!

It's a bit obvious that the last few films won't live up to this one but eventually I'll get to them. Also, not gonna lie. Shiki is moe as fuck in that last scene.

Whelp, since everyone else is doing it

Shows I finished/will continue to watch

Tsuritama
Space Bros
Saint Seiya Omega
Zetman
Medaka Box
Accel World
Sankarea
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Phi Brain s2
Kore wa Zombie desu ka of the dead
Upotte
Nyaruko
Shiba Inuko-san

Shows I might watch at some point

Eureka Seven Ao
AKB0048
Sengoku Collection

Shows I dropped

Jormungand
Lupin
Fate/Zero s2
Kids on the Slope
Naruto SD

Branduil

That's an interesting opinion. As it's generally said that Hosoda is an extremely talented up and coming director perhaps you could explain what you don't like about his direction? Is it to do with the stories he adapts? The way he shoots them? Some aspect of his film style?

This cannot end well.

Well I was mostly just trolling. I have very little knowledge about direction in general. That's why I always focus on art and writing in my posts rather than that. And I mean I praise stuff that people here say has shit direction, so yeah...

I guess if I was to voice a completely subjective complaint, it's the stories he adapts, but the only 2 I've seen in full are TGTLTT and One Piece movie 6, the latter of which I liked (albeit not to the same extent as other OP movies like 4 and 10).

Why not watch Summer Wars? You'd probably like it.

Polar Bear Cafe is a year long show? Well, I guess I'm not going to complain, but that's surprising. I can see how the show could be mainstream anyway... adult characters, very little anime bullshit... it's something the whole family could watch without the embarrassed/apologetic looks.

And that's great that the stuff is all settled anyway.

The length hasn't been definitively stated anywhere officially, but if you're airing on TV Tokyo on afternoons or weekend mornings, you're a kid/family-oriented show that'll probably last a long time.

Speaking of this show, has its reliance on Japanese puns decreased since the first episode? I wanted to like it and it has its charming bits, but the amount of wordplay that doesn't come off for me put me off.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Looking forward to:

Binbougami Ga
Oda Nobuna
Dog Days'
Familia Arcana
SAO
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Tari Tari
Kokoro Connect

Noitamina stuff is of course a watch.

I'll give a few of the harem shows a try just in case.

wonzo

Banned
So anyone want to take a guess at what the worst show of the season will be? I'm guessing Campione or that LN with the dude and the chick adapt.
It's called Kingdom, it is known.

I'll probably hate myself for saying this, but none of them look that terrible from short blurb.

If all else fails, we still have Sengoku Collection to keep us suffering?
but Sengoku Collection isn't even that bad

And, it looks like Polar Bear Cafe is two cours, given the preview at the end of the episode? I'm cool with that, since it's the sleeper hit of the season, but as much as I like it, I hope that the mangaka and the business people have settled their mess and everyone's back to making more Polar Bear Cafe.

Also, Sasako x Handa! They have to make it happen!
A cursory glance at ANN says it's set for 24 episodes but I can't find a source for it. :<

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The length hasn't been definitively stated anywhere officially, but if you're airing on TV Tokyo on afternoons or weekend mornings, you're a kid/family-oriented show that'll probably last a long time.

Speaking of this show, has its reliance on Japanese puns decreased since the first episode? I wanted to like it and it has its charming bits, but the amount of wordplay that doesn't come off for me put me off.
It pops up once in a while. I didn't really mind it, because they do the "free pass" thing of having a character call out the terrible puns. In fact, I would say that the show has balanced out fairly well and spread out the gags among the characters pretty nicely. Derpy Panda-kun is still derpy, but there's also lovesick Penguin-san to take the spotlight once in a while.

A cursory glance at ANN says it's set for 24 episodes but I can't find a source for it. :<
Hrm, well, I'm happy either way I suppose. lol

BGBW said:
Yes, this certainly was a problem when I was looking for SnowLeopard tan, since OS X seems to have even less standardisation compared to the Windows side. Then again she'd probably not want anything to do with my desktop after seeing this
I've never really looked up Apple tans. It is kind of annoying when there's no standard depictions at all, yeah. Makes it impossible to figure out what that OS-tan is supposed to look like. As for that link though... heh. :p

1stStrike said:
Highschool DxD is about as boobalicious as an anime can get. I think only Highschool of the Dead was more ridiculous in the boobs department - but certainly didn't have this volume of bare breasted women.

I almost feel like I'm watching a hentai sometimes with this anime.
Eh, High School DxD's main difference is that the TV version wasn't very censored. This genre of ecchi-heavy harem action shows is a popular one, but they usually reserve most of the nudity for the DVD/BD releases. High School DxD didn't do that. Apart from that though it's not THAT far out of line for the genre. I mean, it doesn't match (the uncensored versions of) stuff like Manyuu Hikenchou...

1stStrike said:
Highschool DxD 5

This episode went about how I expected it. Had some single boob hanging out action as well which is always appreciated (one boob still clothed). The MC unlocked the next stage of his power and we find out that he, of course, has this amazing power that can whoop dat ass. I wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm far from it. Girls were good, though.

My harem is better than yours.
It was amusing how the MC was torn between jealousy and anger, at seeing that... :)

Chet Rippo said:
The Sacred Blacksmith 2

She must have gotten her breast plate from someone in Queen's Blade.
The first part basically concludes where the first episode left off, then the second half just has to deal with Cecily trying to get the sexist Luke to forge her a katana. A so-so episode, the very end of the episode is obviously a set up for what the show is probably going to revolve around. On to the next episode
The first couple of episodes are probably the most sexist of the series, but the sexism never entirely goes away, unfortunately. It really badly damages a series that otherwise might have been okay.

"Be Mine, Hero"
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39318647&postcount=16892
Summary: I find the idea of a series existing to actually justify a major, never-ending war awful. That basic concept is the biggest problem.
haly said:
What do you mean by justify?

Do you mean that you dislike the fact that the world was made solely for the sake of this plot?

Or do you mean that the war is morally indefensible?
Both, really. Or rather, a combination of both factors -- the fact that the war is (or should be) morally indefensible without VERY good reasons is made worse by the fact that the only factors defending the war are extremely contrived, unrealistic situations. (And yes, I know this is manga/anime, so "unrealistic" shouldn't apply. But still, there should at least be some bare minimum level of believability, unless the series is a pure work of insanity, which I don't think this intends to be.

With the former, pretty much every story setting is crafted in order to enable to plot. For example, the world of 1984 is, I feel, impossible to arrive at, but I cannot disagree with Orwell that once the whole Oceania/Eurasia/Eastasia system is in place, it would be completely and totally self sustaining.
That's quite different, though. The main character in 1984 isn't one of the higher-ups running the wars and trying to justify it through whatever they use to justify their actions, it's a random nobody from the cogs of the machine, exploring exactly how it works. That's a very different situation from this one. Also, of course, in 1984, there's no suggestion that this system is actually good; recall the awful health and such of the people, they're suffering but just don't know any better.

I mean, yes, in stories worlds are often created to justify plots, but this is a very blatant effort at it. As I said, it's only the world setting that gives ANY justifications to this endless war. And even there, I'm sure that peaceful alternatives could be possible; as if trading alliances and such couldn't be formed in peacetime? I know she has excuses for why war is required, but I'm sure something could be worked out...

Also, some of her arguments are weak. In addition to the above, for instance,
she says that a lot of people would die of famine if the war ended... but that famine would be in the countries currently fighting the war, I'm pretty sure. Where, as she says, people are ALREADY dying of starvation and war. So the war ends, and people die... but they're already dying. Do you have any proof that the number dying would be higher if the war ended? She doesn't provide any, certainly. Hero's just too stupid to notice any flaws in her argument, because he's just a warrior, not a scholar.

Also, while there are some times when people have simply stood back and allowed famines to kill lots of people, there are other times when countries helped other ones that were starving... but of course the plot wouldn't work as well if any were willing to do that here, so naturally they aren't.

With the latter, the manga never, to my knowledge, attempts to say "this is right" or "this is wrong". Instead, it is saying "this is the situation and these are the reasons why it is happening".
I'm pretty sure the Demon Queen thinks she's right. She certainly acts that way. I don't know if she thinks she's moral, but there's no question she thinks she's doing the right thing, and that if all those other idiots would just listen to her everything would be better, etc.

As you no doubt know, there are many examples in history of wars being rejuvenating forces, as well as wars started in order to unite a populace. The manga is only using those kinds of situations as its setting, not trying to justify them. If you think so, you're probably reading too much into it.
Maybe I am, but I DO think that it's justifying a kind of war that shouldn't be justified --
I mean, an endless war like this one is one of the worst possible kinds of war. It's the kind you almost always see in horror stories like 1984, not things that present them in an approving tone like this thing.
You can't see how that's an issue?

The story as a whole is very morally sound, since the protagonists are always aiming for a better world while the antagonists are trying to maintain the unfortunate status quo.
I'm sure many of the villains are awful, but I'm not convinced that this is the only way, no.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39318842&postcount=16897
Envelope said:
That's actually something I really like about it, since it doesn't break the war down into simple terms of RIGHT and WRONG, it's more ambiguous than that.
First -- as I've said, I understand that due to the excuses given in the setting, what she's doing "isn't entirely wrong" from one perspective. But as I've said, I don't think that that's a good enough excuse, on moral grounds particularly, but also on plot grounds. I cover the former element above, and in the post in the last thread, but for the latter part, I just really dislike when things don't fully admit to the true morality of the story they're presenting. And despite the excuses the series tries to give, that really is a central element in "Be Mine, Hero", as I have said.

For an example that's quite a bit worse than this one, Saikano. I really, REALLY dislike how that ends, with the killer robot girl being affirmed as a "person" of sorts even though she
just killed every single human being on Earth except for one guy. Yes, I know that the war was endless and people had devolved into barbarism, murder, etc, but seriously, once society devolves enough, the war would simply end on its own accord because there wouldn't be enough people, or technology, left to fight it. But because she's a robot and not a person, she kills everything as a "solution"... and not only does the series not question her decision at all, as far as I remember, but it affirms her as a good "person" (which she isn't, either good or a person) in the end!
That ending was shockingly deaf to the actual nature of what was going on. And that's one of the reasons why I think that Texhnolyze is a vastly superior
apocalypse/spoiler] story -- it's very well written and thought through. Better cast and art and everything else too, but anyway, that's an important part of it.

And of course the setting is created to carry the story! Why wouldn't it be?
It's the difference between creating a setting for a story, and creating a setting that clearly exists to create one of the few justifications possible for the otherwise awful actions the protagonists are going to undertake...

ANN's episode counts aren't reliable at all. It still says Space Brothers is 12 episodes even though more than that has already aired.

It pops up once in a while. I didn't really mind it, because they do the "free pass" thing of having a character call out the terrible puns. In fact, I would say that the show has balanced out fairly well and spread out the gags among the characters pretty nicely. Derpy Panda-kun is still derpy, but there's also lovesick Penguin-san to take the spotlight once in a while.

I don't know if self-awareness will be good enough to make it enjoyable for me, but thanks for the info.

wonzo

Banned

Makoto

rose-colored life
And this is why I'm sort of fine with no season 3 of Haruhi. If we look at the entirety of the Haruhi anime, Disappearance is really its third act. The moment where the shit truly hits the fan and all hope is seemingly lost. And by the end, it's the moment where Kyon finally learns to appreciate the life he has with Haruhi and the gang. By the same token, it's also the moment where Kyon learns to stop bitching about everything surrounding Haruhi and a lot of the charm of the anime prior to Disappearance was Kyon bitching, so I'm thinking either a season 3 is not possible without some impediment on Kyon's established character development or they just do the rest of the light novels and play them off as stuff that happened pre-Disappearance.

Oh hey, I have nothing better to do, so here is Spring's Hall of Shame!

Technical stuff: So in the spirit of the regular hall of shames, I made the cutoff list at 300 total posts. May have missed someone but this is close enough since I don't really want to spend any more time than I did for this.
Not to mention all those single digit posters. :E

I probably only crossed the 300 mark because I posted a bunch before Tera launched.

Kara No Kyoukai 05: Paradox Spiral

I have absolutely no desire to watch the rest of the films now!

It's a bit obvious that the last few films won't live up to this one but eventually I'll get to them. Also, not gonna lie. Shiki is moe as fuck in that last scene.

Do you like Azaka from her very limited appearances so far? If so, you'll enjoy 6. That movie is all about Azaka. Shiki is almost a side-character, which makes it a nice breather after the awesomeness of 5.

7 is a total letdown compared to 5, especially the ending. Shiki and Mikiya
do not fuck at the end.

There's also the Blu-ray epilogue, which can be thought of loosely as 8 but really isn't because it's just 20 minutes of Shiki and Mikiya engaging in exposition about stuff you probably don't care about. Shiki's origin (such as it is) is revealed in the epilogue. I can save you 20 minutes of your life you won't get back and just tell you that Shiki's origin is
emptiness.

Goddamit, you're making me want to watch these movies again.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
And this is why I'm sort of fine with no season 3 of Haruhi. If we look at the entirety of the Haruhi anime, Disappearance is really its third act. The moment where the shit truly hits the fan and all hope is seemingly lost. And by the end, it's the moment where Kyon finally learns to appreciate the life he has with Haruhi and the gang. By the same token, it's also the moment where Kyon learns to stop bitching about everything surrounding Haruhi and a lot of the charm of the anime prior to Disappearance was Kyon bitching, so I'm thinking either a season 3 is not possible without some impediment on Kyon's established character development or they just do the rest of the light novels and play them off as stuff that happened pre-Disappearance.

Do the remaining light novels
ignore Kyon's Disappearance character development?

I was going to ask in this thread eventually but how is 2199 so far anyways?

The two episodes so far have been pretty visually appealing and suspenseful. Although characters are oldish (prefer space stuff when characters are like ages they were in star ocean 4), I think they are pretty intriguing especially the crew. I can see the potential for good interactions and development among them. Explosions and battle choreography is nice as well as the music which gives the anime a retro feeling. The in universe technology, like the space map, is really intriguing and cool.

Dresden

Obviously she'll be let go after she grows up a bit.

haha this sounds better with every further bit of info I find out

Sacred Blacksmith is infamous for three things--the terrible katana scene, its relentless devotion to the superiority of katanas over gaijin blades, and the rape.

wonzo

Banned
Sacred Blacksmith is infamous for three things--the terrible katana scene, its relentless devotion to the superiority of katanas over gaijin blades, and the rape.
didn't the author retcon the rape scene because the otaku's didn't like having their pure 2d waifu violated?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Of course, the rape got retconned out, but the relentless sexism never goes away.

Grzi

Spring Ratings

Fate/Zero S2
Tsuritama
Kid's On the Slope
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Space Brothers
MGX

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia above Space Brothers and MGX?!
I might have to give it a shot someday.

Anyway, it's Summer season time.

Will watch:
Moyashimon 2
Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Rinne no Lagrange S2
Sword Art Online

Will watch the first episode :

Binbougami ga
Horizon 2 (if I finish the first season)
Arcana Famiglia
Estetica (although it looks like the worst type of show, with its generic-VN character designs)
Aruvu Rezuru
Campione
Tanken Driland (like the art in the OP)
Oda Nobuna
Kingdom (yeah, haven't watched this yet, but it might be fun, in a "let's laugh at the awful CG" kind of way)
Muv-Luv (a friend is hyping it up, so I'll give it a shot although it looks like crap)

and maybe some other stuff people on AnimeGAF start liking.

Dresden

didn't the author retcon the rape scene because the otaku's didn't like having their pure 2d waifu violated?

It's been a while but yeah I think it got retconned as the bad dude just beating her up and then stripping her naked and then relentlessly not-raping her until she passed out.

Makoto

Do the remaining light novels
ignore Kyon's Disappearance character development?
I've only read the first half of Snowy Mountain Syndrome (a chapter in Light Novel 5)
which takes place almost immediately after the Hot Pot party you see at the end of Disappearance and Kyon was just as annoyed/ticked off as he was before, maybe a little bit less but certainly enough to make me question if I was truly reading from the perspective of post-Disappearance Kyon, which it most certainly was. I have to admit, I stopped reading the light novels at Snow Mountain Syndrome because Kyon didn't really come off as a someone who really learned to appreciate his new life.

Grzi

Spring ratings

Fate/Zero S2
Tsuritama
Kids on the Slope
Space Brothers
Kuroko no Basket
Eureka Seven AO
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Hyouka
Accel World
AKB0048
Saint Seiya Omega
Zetman
Medaka Box
Sankarea (although I'm quite far behind on this one)
Ozma
Lupin

So I guess I'm still watching Accel World, Eureka, AKB0048, Hyouka. Saint Seiya Omega and Gundam AGE and HxH from the Fall 2011 season.

Rozen Maiden 2

Well, that was definitely better than episode 1. Still not sure what to think of this series. It kind of reminds me of a more subdued Konjiki no Gash, which might not necessarily be a good thing. It feels like this series doesn't know if it wants to be action or not.

Also, Jun is a massive prick.

Ranking shit is lameos.

Spring stuff I liked

f/z
slope (sometimes)
smile precure
hxh
space bros
kuroko basket
MGX
ghost girl.
Polar bear cafe
acchi kocchi
ginga kickoff
kore zombies s2
nyaruko

Everything else were meh/boring.

"Women are not allowed near the forge."
His assistant is a girl.
http://i.imgur.com/xQGjql.jpg
Luke actually does have a reason for why he acts as he does, as you'll find out once you get farther into the series
yes, tragic past incoming
, but that does nothing to excuse the sexism. It explains it, but doesn't excuse it.

As for Cecily, her biggest problem is that she always wants to get involved in fights and protect people, but she's near-useless in combat, particularly so in the anime; she's stronger in the manga, though still has to be saved quite a few times of course. At least it is actually a plot point in the series, her wanting to get stronger so she can actually live up to what she wants to be, but her attitude results in a LOT of sexism, as she keeps pretending she's competent when of course she isn't.

Yes, the series' sexism is pervasive and strong. Something making it even worse is that they made Cecily significantly more useless in the anime than she is in the manga version. Yes, she has to be rescued by Luke on a regular basis in the manga, but she's not a completely useless lump at the beginning, like she is in the manga. For instance, in the manga, in that version of the first episode or two
Cecily actually fights a whole bunch of bandits and handily defeats them all, before in the end Luke has to help her when a giant monster attacks. She can't beat strong enemies, of course, mostly because of her gender (and inexperience, but her gender's the key), but isn't completely useless. In the anime though, she's a weak, useless nothing for at least half of the series, maybe more, and it's incredibly sexist and intolerable.

Anyway though, the one and only reason why she's so weak and constantly has to be rescued is of course her gender. If she was a male character, there's absolutely no way in the world that this "actually really weak even though he wants and pretends to be strong" plotline would have been chosen, no way whatsoever. It's a sexist, gender-based plotline that would not have been written with character genders that were different, Cecily particularly, and that's really bad.

She's an elf, big difference. I guess. Also since she's his property or whatever, that makes it ok.
She's not really an elf, more of a magical being... (I'll try to resist writing out the massive spoiler of what she really is...)

Sacred Blacksmigth and katanas -- Yes indeed, another problem with Sacred Blacksmith is the crazy degree of "Japan is the best ever" it's infected with, particularly with respect to how in this series the katana is the best weapon ever period, can cut through anything, is stronger and sharper than any other sword, etc. It's just crazy stuff, and certainly not accurate; they are good swords, but not THAT good.

As for "the rape scene"... well I'll go into that in the next part. (Just know that the scene in question does not occur in the anime. It does happen in the manga version, though, later on after the part the anime covers.)

Wait, was it different in the original story? Because in the manga, she is kidnapped by the villain, and mentally (and somewhat physically) tortured, but he doesn't actually rape her,
because he explains that he would, but he's incapable of doing such things. He is not a normal human, and with how angry he was it sounded true...
If the manga isn't the original version, was that scene different there?

Regardless, it left her pretty badly mentally damaged. It takes a few chapters for her to begin to get over it. I did like how this part was somewhat realistically portrayed -- she didn't just get over it in a flash, or something, it hurt. You don't usually see that, with things like this in manga or anime. Not at all.

It's been a while but yeah I think it got retconned as the bad dude just beating her up and then stripping her naked and then relentlessly not-raping her until she passed out.
Was it really different in a previous version (it's an LN adaptation or something, I guess)? And I described his stated reasoning above.

The guy does it because he's evil, of course, but Cecily's usual uselessness doesn't help matters. If she could fight well, it wouldn't have happened, probably. But see "she's a girl, etc" above.
To be fair though, he does sucker-punch her after she said how much she trusts Luke, but it's not like she'd have won a fair fight either.

Anyway though, that part of the manga's quite serious and dark, for reasons beyond that scene too...

And on that note, one final bit of sexism that results from "the not-rape part" --
after getting assaulted, Cecily, as I said, shuts down, and has a lot of trouble coping with what happened. That's good, that's the reaction you should get, but usually wouldn't see in manga. However, her solution is to "discard her womanhood". She even dresses in pants to a ball, and challenges the villain! Of course, she has no chance, and gets rescued again by Luke, who fights for her. It ends with a slgihtly romantic moment between the two of them, and she thinks that she might not be able to abandon her womanhood after all. Yeah, very pervasive sexism and stereotyping there to say the least. It's not actually too badly written, just very sexist.

Grzi

Ranking shit is lameos.

Spring stuff I liked

f/z
slope (sometimes)
smile precure
hxh
space bros
kuroko basket
MGX
ghost girl.
Polar bear cafe
acchi kocchi
ginga kickoff
kore zombies s2
nyaruko

Everything else were meh/boring.

No love for Tsuritama?
Damn.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To start with, a quote from the last thread.

Wow. Never realised the english Gintama logo was so boring.
Also do I spy a lack of a certain WB logo. Doesn't that ruin one of the best scenes?

And now, using this list. What I think of each anime based of their blurbs.

Kingdom: I don't even need to read this blurb. Seen the terrible GCI. Pass.

Pokémon: Haven't watched this show seen the 2000 movie. Pass.

Muv-Luv: Toned down porn. Had enough of that with MGX.

Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu: Seen the game, now find out about the poems. Might check out the first episode.

YuruYuri&#9834;&#9834;: I'll probably skip this.

Natsuyuki Rendezous: Eh. I could just watch Ghost for the billionth time.

Moyashimon Returns: Heard good things about the first series so I guess I should check that out first.

Sword Art Online: Original concept do not steal. THough that reminds me, I do need to finish TWEWY one day.

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate: More toned down porn? Only the chocolate can save this.

Dakara Bok wa, H ga Dekinai: Guy can't fap: The Anime. Well he should end up as a very productive member of society then.

Dog Days': Sequel to a show I never watched. No point.

Horizon II: Watched about half of the first series and then just lost interest. No point.

Oda Nobuna no Yobou: Too many males in the plot. Cute warlord doing warlord things spoilt by the harem concept.

Bonbou-gami ga!: She can make people happy by absorbing their happiness and then giving it back. So we're back to square one then. Sounds totally pointless.

Hakuouki: "Prequel to..." pass it is then.

Ebiten: And let me guess, they all like Yaoi and want him to make love to another man in front of their eyes.

Tari Tari: What a long winded way of saying they are teenagers. Music club anime but with a USP of having an Australian. After School BBQ Time.

Kono Naka ni Hitori: Easy way around this problem. Just use the definition of mate that is "friend". Then you remove all fear of accidentally marrying your sister.

Campione!: That's sounds even more original that that Sword Art Online show.

Kokoro Connect: Nice to see some original art styles going on. Freaky Friday to the MAX.

Hagure Yuusha no Estetica: So a serious version of Girls Bravo?

Rinne no Lagrange 2: Second series of a show I haven't seen. No point yet again.

Joshiraku: I doubt behind the scene conversations are that exciting. "How's the weather?" "How's your father?" and so on.

La storia dela Arcana Famiglia: Doesn't sound Bodacious enough.

Jinrui wa Suitai Shuimashita: "I"? First Person Anime. Also if theese fairies don't want to save the world via the power of disco I will be severely disappointed.

Aruvu Rezuru: Turn off her computer and force her to go cold turkey for a week. Web addiction is no laughing matter.

Chitose Get You!!: NOPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom