• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't generally care for anime threads on neogaf, but...

Maoyuu to be animated -whoooooooo
『まおゆう魔王勇者』テレビアニメ化決定!

111221-3l.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201206/28017110.html

*walks away celebrating by himself*

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Alright.

Shows I finished/will finish soon:

Acchi Kocchi
Fate/Zero 2nd Season
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
Jormungand
Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna
Medaka Box
Natsuiro Kiseki
Nazo no Kanojo X
Sakamichi no Apollon
Sankarea
Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan
Tasogara Otome x Amnesia
tsuritama
Upotte!!
Zetman

Shows I will keep watching:

Accel World
AKB0048
Ginga e Kickoff!!
Hyouka
Sengoku Collection
Space Brothers

Shows I dropped:

Hiiro no Kakera (even I have my limits)

Shows I regret not watching:

lol

Best OP:

1. Fate/Zero 2nd Season
2. tsuritama
3. Sengoku Collection
4. Sankarea
5. Space Brothers

Best ED:

1. Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna
2. Accel World
3. Ginga e Kickoff!!
4. Medaka Box
5. tsuritama

I'll rank them once I finish watching them all.

I wouldn't have minded more world building, but at the same time I like the feeling that the world exists beyond the confines of the narrative shown. I'd much rather background glimpses of culture and setting than historical exposition dumps.
Exactly. It just felt like there were some gaps missing in how the world operated that I would have appreciated seeing. Also, the scale of the universe itself was kind of confusing, based on how they handled their teleportation stuff. Who the heck even monitored that stuff? There was never a single guard or official of any kind, but they made mention of scheduling departures. It was that kind of stuff that just made the world feel more empty than it really was (I assume).

Next up I'm looking at watching 3X3 Eyes. Should be interesting, I hope.

Jex

Hmm, I just realized that I didn't rank Eureka Seven Ao on my list of Springs shows. I guess I forgot that I was watching it - that isn't a good sign. I'm not even trolling to get duckroll all riled up, I legitimately forgot. Sorry, Fleur.

Best to Worst Haircut of 2012

Tsuritma
Nisemonogatari
Apllon
MGX

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Preliminary 2012 Anime Rankings:

1. Fate/Zero
2. Tsuritama
3. Shiranpuri
4. Hotarubi no Mori e
5. Minori Scramble
6. Mysterious Girlfriend X
7. Wasurenagumo
8. Fullmetal Alchemist: Sacred Star of Milos
9. Kids on the Slope
10. Space Brothers
11. Ano Natsu de Matteru
12. Natsume's Book of Friends S4
13. Chihayafuru
14. Hyouka
15. Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki
16. Buta
17. Daily Lives of High School Boys
18. Yurumates 3D
19. Thermae Romae
20. Yuri Seijin Naoko-san

I'm just saying expectations can be a bitch.

Fate/Zero is the only one I care about being #1. I approve.

Jex

Don't generally care for anime threads on neogaf, but...

Maoyuu to be animated -whoooooooo
『まおゆう魔王勇者』テレビアニメ化決定!

111221-3l.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201206/28017110.html

*walks away celebrating by himself*

Unfortunately, whoever ends up animating it will never be able to get it looking like that concept art.

Brazil

How can you run out of books? It's like running out of anime, except even more implausible!

I have my reading sprees. I buy five to eight books each semester and then blast through them. When I'm done, I take a break... And rarely pick up another book until the next spree.

dat feel when you finish a really great book and know that you'll never read it the same way again

And this is why. I feel this with basically every book I finish, and the bittersweet feeling lasts days, sometimes weeks. I'd never be able to live properly if the feeling was constant, hahaha.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
After my Space Bros thread quickly collapsed, I learned that you can't make these things happen no matter how much you want to.
It really is a shame that the thread for Tsuritama completely died, considering how it became the best show of the season.

Not that I was surprised. It's a show called Tsuritama by the guy behind Mononoke and was about fishing. Most people have no idea about what any of that means (well , people know what fishing is but many consider it to be boring). So it was doomed from the start, really.

Unfortunately, whoever ends up animating it will never be able to get it looking like that concept art.

Well, no one expects it to be near the novel art.
However, I'm not really afraid about the animation consider how much money Kadoakawa been dumping into advertising the series, creating side products, etc...

That's what we were talking about earlier in the old Spring thread right?
HZrhpl.png

I don't visit anime-gaf, so I don't know what you guys talked about.
However, yeah - that's one of the manga adaptions.

It really is a shame that the thread for Tsuritama completely died, considering how it became the best show of the season.

Not that I was surprised. It's a show called Tsuritama by the guy behind Mononoke and was about fishing. Most people have no idea about what any of that means (well , people know what fishing is but many consider it to be boring). So it was doomed from the start, really.

It didn't help that half the people who watched the first episode decided to immediately drop it!

Oh hey, I have nothing better to do, so here is Spring's Hall of Shame!
  • cajunator 3903
  • Jexhius 3139
  • Ultimadrago 2562
  • Envelope 1804
  • Mad Pierrot 1774
  • Branduil 1756
  • duckroll 1751
  • wonzo 1740
  • firehawk12 1616
  • Femmeworth 1390
  • cosmicblizzard 1374
  • Brazil 1243
  • hosannainexcelsis 1219
  • Dedication Through Light 1131
  • Uchip 1091
  • Dresden 1076
  • Regulus Tera 1057
  • Chet Rippo 1028
  • chickdigger802 864
  • Narag 820
  • survivor 755
  • Articalys 736
  • RurouniZel 726
  • dakkumauji 717
  • PdotMichael 663
  • Hitokage 651
  • jman2050 641
  • Defuser 611
  • Dance In My Blood 603
  • Instro 583
  • trejo 574
  • pizzaroll 562
  • zeroshiki 514
  • Jintor 511
  • frostbyte 502
  • Dragoon En Regalia 494
  • BGBW 492
  • EmmanuelMunoz 459
  • Steroyd 457
  • Jarmel 456
  • Makoto 441
  • Thoraxes 422
  • Haly 386
  • KO Traveling Hobo 385
  • SDBurton 349
  • Unknown Soldier 343
  • Basileus777 338
  • A Black Falcon 333
  • /XX/ 332
  • Hellsing321 308
  • Lafiel 300

Technical stuff: So in the spirit of the regular hall of shames, I made the cutoff list at 300 total posts. May have missed someone but this is close enough since I don't really want to spend any more time than I did for this.
Not to mention all those single digit posters. :E

Brazil

It didn't help that half the people who watched the first episode decided to immediately drop it!

It's hard to blame them. It took three or four episodes for the show to become truly enjoyable.

Technical stuff: So in the spirit of the regular hall of shames, I made the cutoff list at 300 total posts. May have missed someone but this is close enough since I don't really want to spend any more time than I did for this.

Amazing.

Soma

Cajunator laughs at all of us from his little penguin grave.

Brazil

I don't know what you're talking about; it was excellent from the start!

It was beautiful from the start; Yuki was barely a character, and Haru was an annoying prick during the first two episodes. The first episode I legitimately felt good about was number 3, in which the character development started kicking in.

It was beautiful from the start; Yuki was barely a character, and Haru was an annoying prick during the first two episodes. The first episode I legitimately felt good about was number 3, in which the character development started kicking in.

First off, you can't develop a character until you set one up. Second, I disagree on your assessment of Yuki and Haru's starting positions. Yuki reminded me very strongly of myself when I was younger, with at times crippling social phobia and awkwardness, so I was rooting for him immediately. Haru I honestly never found annoying - he was kind of clueless on how to interact with humans until the wonderful Kaito (bless her soul) mentored him, but that was part of his charm.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm kind of jealous of the people who got such consistently strong positive feelings from Tsuritama because throughout the series I found that my evaluation of each episode was heavily dependent upon my mental state and I ended up just feeling nothing through most of its run even when I could clearly see what was so good about it. The whole disconnect remains a tragic mystery to me.

I should be reevaluating my life right now, but I was too lazy to compile the list that you did and I'm for damned sure too lazy to question whether or not such a high level of participation in AnimeGAF is an effective use of my time.

Brazil

First off, you can't develop a character until you set one up.

Obviously, but you can give him a decent starting point.

Second, I disagree on your assessment of Yuki and Haru's starting positions. Yuki reminded me very strongly of myself when I was younger, with at times crippling social phobia and awkwardness, so I was rooting for him immediately. Haru I honestly never found annoying - he was kind of clueless on how to interact with humans until the wonderful Kaito (bless her soul) mentored him, but that was part of his charm.

That's all understandable. But I, and many of those who abandoned the show after the first episode, felt differently.

Jex

Dude.

So, if there wasn't any limit on thread length I would have over 3000 posts in a single thread? That's a bit worrying, even if the thread itself would have been around 57000 posts long.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Alright.
Best ED:

1. Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna
2. Accel World
3. Ginga e Kickoff!!
4. Medaka Box
5. tsuritama

I'll rank them once I finish watching them all.

While the show was disappointing itself, "Duty Friend" really was the best ED from the season.

Reflecting on Kids on the Slope, I think my biggest problem with it was the same one I had with Ano Hana last year. Not to the same extent, but in both shows it felt like the characters were getting pulling around for the sake of the melodrama - they were acting irrationally out of character just to turn up the heat because the narrative didn't know what else to do, even though there were other plot elements set up that could have been further expanded on instead. I really wanted to like the show since it contains so much of what I love - and a great deal of it I did love; Sentarou and Kaoru were great characters - but I feel like I can say they're great characters only the way that I could say Poppo was a great character, by ignoring some of what they ended up doing. Their struggles didn't feel fully earned. Even the high point of the show, episode 7, only came about because of some idiotic behavior in episode 6.

Narag

Lupin III A Woman Called Fujiko Mine 13

Well, it wasn't as bad as I expected but certainly didn't deliver.
I think the show sort of constrained itself as a prequel as it really comes across as something trying to insert itself before the 1971 season. The green jacket, the lengths gone to keep Lupin bumping into Goemon, Oscar's removal, Fujiko always being Fujiko, Jigen remaining in the dark about the truth, etc are reasons that leave me feeling this way. This sort of thing requires maintaining the status quo going into the next work but it wasn't handled well at all.

Story ended up being dumb and even outright insulting with how much handholding went on. Overarching plot was mostly a waste and didn't result in a damn thing other than bringing the cast together which I suppose was the main point. If anything, I was relieved to see Fujiko had always been Fujiko rather than anyone else. I'm more or less left wishing Zenigata, Goemon, and Oscar had been left out of the series as they didn't really add anything. I think someone was getting ahead of themselves too by not resolving the Oscar stuff (unless I missed that as I was zoning out at the end) with ideas of bringing him back in a tv special or some shit. Not that I'd be adverse to such a thing if they could tighten up the story and avoid a bunch of dead weight.

Definitely a disappointment as a whole, I don't think I could recommend the series to others aside from instructing someone to watch episodes 1, 2, and 5 while ignoring the rest. At least we got an awesome ED theme from it all.

I think I will not watch many summer season animes. For some reason are Joshiraku and Binbougami ga are the only animes I want to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom