• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

House was only interesting when he was ruining his relationship with Cuddy/Wilson or seeing Wilson's dead wife or going through Vicodin withdrawal though. The other stuff exists so that people can be distracted while all the character stuff happens.
[and other stuff]
I don't think we fundamentally disagree about this stuff, even though it would be fun to argue about it. I just think that House does a far, far better job at having it's mysteries/cases be somewhat interesting than Hyouka because, as you point out, the highschool setting is very limiting.
The fact that you can't sell a straight up anime/manga/light novel franchise based on Sherlock Holmes in Japan without couching it in high school trappings is a much bigger problem that surpasses the scope of any discussion about Hyouka... even if it informs it.
You can if Sherlock Homes is a super moe kawaii girl.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well that's something I more or less disagree with.

In my opinion, Oreki is a very realized and well written character that I personally relate to on an almost frightening level. The way the show slowly sought to break down his lazy life style was something I really enjoyed out of it yet also something that invoked a "shit this is hitting some really weird notes in me" reaction. The film arc for instance was a pivotal point in his development. The thing about the show is that it depicts high school life very realistically to the point where it kind of emphasizes the fact that not all school life is crazy shit happening all the time and that right there in my opinion is where people are either "well in that case I don't care about high school crap" or "y'know i appreciate the way the show depicts high school life". While I wish the earlier episodes were as character driven as the later ones are, saying that the show takes 18 or so episodes to get to character development just isn't true at least in my eyes.

How much one enjoys and appreciates that development is a totally different story though.

That's just my two cents on that.

It all really comes down to enduring that banality to appreciate and see whats behind in terms of relationships between the cast or not. I don't think that's inherently bad, only the way it is being presented in an High School environment. Some people will tolerate it, some will not.

The fundamental "flaw" is the high school setting. For me, a hospital or modern London (or modern NYC, if you want to bring in the CBS Sherlock Holmes show into this) are no more or less compelling than a Japanese high school. But I can understand why people need the cases of the week to involve dead bodies.

With some tweaking, there's no reason why Hyouka couldn't have been about a brilliant cop languishing in some shitty position in some shitty town in bumfuck Japan. But I am assuming no one wants to see that story in an otaku medium.

Branduil

I don't think we fundamentally disagree about this stuff, even though it would be fun to argue about it. I just think that House does a far, far better job at having it's mysteries/cases be somewhat interesting than Hyouka because, as you point out, the highschool setting is very limiting.

The thing is, I think House is actually a much worse show, and much more tedious than Hyouka, so...

Jex

The thing that really pisses me off(I haven't seen the episode) is why would you use the same VA? Why? What would fucking possess you to use the same VA in a sequel for a different role that played a major role in the prior series. Korra did the same bullshit and it stood out there. What the fuck do you have to be thinking about?

Don't you get it? They're troll you. They've been trolling everyone for weeks.

trejo

Well that's something I more or less disagree with.

In my opinion, Oreki is a very realized and well written character that I personally relate to on an almost frightening level. The way the show slowly sought to break down his lazy life style was something I really enjoyed out of it yet also something that invoked a "shit this is hitting some really weird notes in me" reaction. The film arc for instance was a pivotal point in his development. The thing about the show is that it depicts high school life very realistically to the point where it kind of emphasizes the fact that not all school life is crazy shit happening all the time and that right there in my opinion is where people are either "well in that case I don't care about high school crap" or "y'know i appreciate the way the show depicts high school life". While I wish the earlier episodes were as character driven as the later ones are, saying that the show takes 18 or so episodes to get to character development just isn't true at least in my eyes.

How much one enjoys and appreciates that development is a totally different story though.

That's just my two cents on that.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me even if I think we are never going to see eye to eye on the issue.

And just to be clear, of course I don't think there is no character development until after the 18 episode mark. That was just me being a dick joking around. :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll tell you that I was more interested in whether or not Taub would cheat on his wife or Chase would bang random Asian girl than on any of the cases in the last season. In fact, I can't remember a single case that happened in the last four years of House other than the one where he basically had to let a trapped woman die.

The cases aren't inherently more interesting. It's just that the stakes are outside of our expectations and we like to see stories about things that can't happen to us rather than stories about things that are relatively mundane.

The funny part is that I totally sympathize with that line of thinking. I just think it's crazy because when I watch cop shows these days, I scrub through all the bullshit investigation stuff.

Milky Holmes. Ugh. :p
e4zXF.jpg

It's fake. I didn't find this out until much later though, meaning that for whatever reason, I alone have been denied the power of True Jew Gold (or TJG). I find this suspicious and wonder if it has anything to do with my ancestry. Just what powers does TJG hold?
Wait, so the Jew Gold conspiracy on South Park was a lie? Or are you lying to cover up the fact that what you say is a lie is actually the truth!

I'm CURIOUS.

Dresden

The fourth rule of Jew Gold is that you imply you possess it while hinting that you don't have it all while denying it exists while you insinuate that it does.

BluWacky

The thing that really pisses me off(I haven't seen the episode) is
why would you use the same VA? Why? What would fucking possess you to use the same VA in a sequel for a different role that played a major role in the prior series. Korra did the same bullshit and it stood out there. What the fuck do you have to be thinking about?

(Eureka Seven and Eureka Seven AO spoilers)

I haven't watched enough of either show to really pass comment, but presumably it's thematic. Holland is Renton's father figure in the original series after all - the insinuation is that Renton has grown up to be similar to Holland, I expect.

Jarmel

Banned

I haven't watched enough of either show to really pass comment, but presumably it's thematic. Holland is Renton's father figure in the original series after all - the insinuation is that Renton has grown up to be similar to Holland, I expect.

Doesn't excuse using the exact same VA. I can understand going for a similar tone or style but not the exact same guy.

With some tweaking, there's no reason why Hyouka couldn't have been about a brilliant cop languishing in some shitty position in some shitty town in bumfuck Japan. But I am assuming no one wants to see that story in an otaku medium.

Persona 4 anime from
Adachi's perspective
?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

No. Renton in the end wanted to be his own person. His own man so to speak. Sure they have somewhat similar attributes and have relationships that intertwine heavily but Renton should, would, and will turn out differently than Holland in the end. Having said that,
even if they are similar why the fuck would you use the same seiyuu.

Jex

Pretty much everyone was like noooooooo when they saw the thing in the second OP.

Oh no, I mean before seeing the Second OP. I just thought it would be funny if it was all tied together, so that every work in the E7 franchise would drown at the same time.

Jex

Guys, I finally understand Eureka Seven: AO. It's actually written by CLAMP as their follow up to Blood C. Rather than expressing their hatred for humanity they were actually ordered to direct their venom specifically at BONES fans, thus producing the work you see before you.

Firemind

I posted my E7AO 22 impressions: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42607187&postcount=857

Warning: Strong language.

It's sad, because this episode has some of the best mecha action since ep14 probably, but it's so hard to care because at this point it feels like a few capable animators just furiously jerking off onto their canvas hoping that the cum will cover up the disgraceful piece of work under it. But as their spent seed slowly drips off the canvas, their left standing there with their pants down, holding their limp dick, and their disgrace and shame is visible both on the canvas and on their face.

okc.gif

Branduil

I'll tell you that I was more interested in whether or not Taub would cheat on his wife or Chase would bang random Asian girl than on any of the cases in the last season. In fact, I can't remember a single case that happened in the last four years of House other than the one where he basically had to let a trapped woman die.

The cases aren't inherently more interesting. It's just that the stakes are outside of our expectations and we like to see stories about things that can't happen to us rather than stories about things that are relatively mundane.

The funny part is that I totally sympathize with that line of thinking. I just think it's crazy because when I watch cop shows these days, I scrub through all the bullshit investigation stuff.

I got bored with House by the second season; the mysteries are so formulaic it hurts. As mundane as some of the cases in Hyouka are, at least they don't all follow the same simple and predictable formula.

fertygo

Oh wow, ducky snapped.
Guys, I finally understand Eureka Seven: AO. It's actually written by CLAMP as their follow up to Blood C. Rather than expressing their hatred for humanity they were actually ordered to direct their venom specifically at BONES fans, thus producing the work you see before you.

Blood-C better than AO, and that saying much lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I got bored with House by the second season; the mysteries are so formulaic it hurts. As mundane as some of the cases in Hyouka are, at least they don't all follow the same simple formula.
I agree. By the last season, I scrubbed through most of the cases and stayed mostly for Hugh Laurie.

That said, some person dying of some rare medical condition is more quote-unquote "interesting" (to emphasize my skepticism :p) to watch than a dude figuring out why the teacher got his lesson plan mixed up.

duckroll

I agree. By the last season, I scrubbed through most of the cases and stayed mostly for Hugh Laurie.

That said, some person dying of some rare medical condition is more quote-unquote "interesting" (to emphasize my skepticism :p) to watch than a dude figuring out why the teacher got his lesson plan mixed up.

Are we seriously comparing Hyouka Ep6 with House now? Really? Lol.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

No, because Milky Holmes didn't sell.

Also they're middle school there, which is for all intents and purposes the same as High school as far as anime is concerned.

Jex

The problem is, you watched far too many episodes of House! More over, in the world of House it makes sense for the team to be constantly pressed up against all these 'myserties' because they're a team that's specficially designed to deal with with these problems.

In Hyouka Chitanda just says 'she's curious' and then the gang investigate - every episode. You can have a formulaic set up like that when the formula is built into the world and jobs that the characters are inhabiting but it always feels a bit forced in Hyouka. I'd be much happier if they just dropped the whole conceit and just focused on other things.

fertygo

You want to got banned again or what? lol
Blood-C ended really well. Everything was wrapped up, the conclusion was a solid blend of action and gore, shit was just entertaining.

AO is like... it'd be best if it ended back on episode 13.

Yep, at least Blood-C achieve what the show want to do.

AO is just a mess, that disgusting joke in ep 17 is nail in the coffin for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom