• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Maybe it's not rage-inducing bad but even as a standalone, AO is a pretty bad show.

well yeah, fleur, elena, truth, naru, etc would still be shit characters, plot still be a mess, etc.

But you wouldn't get the rage element out of it. Like who was this show made for? did the director completely forget what it was about the original that people loved? Does Bones hate its audience that much?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It can't be that bad. I've been calling bullshit for the past couple of months. It can't be that worse than what I've already seen.

Dude. I've been calling bullshit since episode 14 and I'm fucking pissed. Trust me. It's pretty terrible.

AO is only good if you like Elena, so it is only good to me and Thoraxes.

I am ok with this.

I knew you would be cajun. We all know KYH is the best.

So is AO worse than the movie?

Yall thought the movie was 10x worse than the show? Holy fuck. AO is 100x worse than the movie imo.

OceanBlue

No, because Milky Holmes didn't sell.

Also they're middle school there, which is for all intents and purposes the same as High school as far as anime is concerned.

Milky Holmes sold pretty well. Around 4k per volume. Milky Holmes 2 is the one that didn't sell nearly as much...

Ultimadrago

Hidamari Sketch x365 11

i40eJV6BtfpCV.PNG
irDaoA3K4UVzc.PNG

Oh Miyako, can anything tame your hunger?

Rebellious Yuno,
the sign clearly said do not enter
! She goes anyways and...

ibdrH80L7h83eD.PNG

then ganged on by birds that want rice balls...

Again in this episode a random character came on the scene and intereacted with one of the mains.
Poor Yuno getting "pantsed/skirted"!
These have been unprecedented and I like them. It doesn't happen enough through the series on a whole. Mostly, a majority of the peers are just "Boy/Girl" labeled fill-ins. Speaking of, it'a another part that's making me enjoy x365 on a whole more than the previous season
(and following season)

Final note: Poor Hiro knocking her head and Yoshinoya locked up in the school! The lesson here is always watch out for low ceilings.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sengoku Collection 26:

Resolution! Except not really! Did anyone even care about anything getting resolved anyway?

So.........two-thirds of the finale was one contiguous fight. Even if it was still clear that no banks were broken in the process of animating this, it was, I suppose, still a window into what the show could have been like had Konami dropped the concept into less whimsical hands. Even at the cost of an esoteric arthouse mother-of-all-mind-benders finale, I guess I can commend the show for finishing what it started. We all had enough fun.

The show couldn't resist using the final few minutes for a "WHERE ARE THEY NOW?" montage of all of the characters, so there's nothing left but to stroll down memory lane.

JN8N5l.jpg

Remember the good times?

369HGl.jpg

The bad times?

hm8W4l.jpg

The sad times?

bBlucl.jpg

The cripplingly-boring and incredibly fucking lame times?

RIP Sengoku Collection

Dead

well not really...yet
What the fuck?

I have been a fan of Elena ever since her voice actress was announced.
why? Such a stupid shit character. Stupid story arc, pointless, ugly design, terrible personality. Shes like the quintessential shit animu character I would expect in a Sunrise, Satelight or Gonzo show (edit: and at this point a Bones show)

Jarmel

Banned
I played the Mass Effect 3 ending. It can't get worse than that. I've already been told 'Fuck You' by creators before. I'm hardened now.

duckroll

I actually really really want to see this episode now.

There's a point where the episode just kinda stops, and pulls a few characters into a room, and they basically say
"You know all the possible directions our characterizations could go because of the various twists and turns which have happened in the last bunch of episodes? Well forget all that because none of that matters, now let's all team up again and go fight the bad guy!"
And then action.

That's how much respect the show has for the viewers.

cajunator

Banned
why? Such a stupid shit character. Stupid story arc, pointless, ugly design, terrible personality. Shes like the quintessential shit animu character I would expect in a Sunrise, Satelight or Gonzo show.

No.
Shes a very cute design.
I mean, she's a silly character but the show didn't fail because of her.

cajunator

Banned
Sengoku Collection 26:

Resolution! Except not really! Did anyone even care about anything getting resolved anyway?

So.........two-thirds of the finale was one contiguous fight. Even if it was still clear that no banks were broken in the process of animating this, it was, I suppose, still a window into what the show could have been like had Konami dropped the concept into less whimsical hands. Even at the cost of an esoteric arthouse mother-of-all-mind-benders finale, I guess I can commend the show for finishing what it started. We all had enough fun.

The show couldn't resist using the final few minutes for a "WHERE ARE THEY NOW?" montage of all of the characters, so there's nothing left but to stroll down memory lane.

RIP Sengoku Collection

I dropped this after episode 4. Maybe Ill watch more and see if it was worth continuing, but that would come much later. Just not worth suffering through.

Branduil

The problem is, you watched far too many episodes of House! More over, in the world of House it makes sense for the team to be constantly pressed up against all these 'myserties' because they're a team that's specficially designed to deal with with these problems.

In Hyouka Chitanda just says 'she's curious' and then the gang investigate - every episode. You can have a formulaic set up like that when the formula is built into the world and jobs that the characters are inhabiting but it always feels a bit forced in Hyouka. I'd be much happier if they just dropped the whole conceit and just focused on other things.

Feels awfully forced to me in House, especially the way every mystery is solved the same way in the same amount of time.

kayos90

There's a point where the episode just kinda stops, and pulls a few characters into a room, and they basically say
"You know all the possible directions our characterizations could go because of the various twists and turns which have happened in the last bunch of episodes? Well forget all that because none of that matters, now let's all team up again and go fight the bad guy!"
And then action.

That's how much respect the show has for the viewers.

Wait... the show has respect for the viewers? LOL

In all seriousness, it was pretty bad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The problem is, you watched far too many episodes of House! More over, in the world of House it makes sense for the team to be constantly pressed up against all these 'myserties' because they're a team that's specficially designed to deal with with these problems.

In Hyouka Chitanda just says 'she's curious' and then the gang investigate - every episode. You can have a formulaic set up like that when the formula is built into the world and jobs that the characters are inhabiting but it always feels a bit forced in Hyouka. I'd be much happier if they just dropped the whole conceit and just focused on other things.
Well, the difference is that they weren't solving a new case every week on Hyouka. But sure, they still had to churn through a series of mysteries regardless. I'll agree that was a problem with the show, but it's a problem with all of these shows. You have to characterize Oreki as being someone defined by his ability, and there's really only one way to show him exercising his ability.

And you know, admittedly, maybe I wouldn't be as enthralled with Hyouka if it ran for 8 years. lol

Sengoku Collection 26:

RIP Sengoku Collection
Oh my god, what happened to their faces. :(

Feels awfully forced to me in House, especially the way every mystery is solved the same way in the same amount of time.
You know, my favourite show of this particular genre is a Canadian show called ReGenesis - mostly because they had an episode structure where cases would take three episodes to resolve themselves.

duckroll

Sengoku Collection - Episode 26 (END)

I mostly watched this to try and unrage over E7AO, but it didn't really work. It didn't make me any angrier, or any less angry, nor did it redirect any anger anywhere else. It was just kinda random and average. For no particular reason there's a really long drawn out multi-sided battle sequence at the beginning. It doesn't really lead to anything interesting, it's just there, and it's long. It's not ugly either, just mostly pointless and a little boring.

Then there's another long music video montage sequence at the end showing all the characters epilogues. I only recognized the ones from the episodes I watched, but overall it was like watching some bonus clip included on the final DVD, or the ending sequence of some 60 hour JRPG. Wasn't bad, but it didn't really impress either.

It's really hard to articulate the precise level of averageness here, but it is probably one of the most complete, but yet totally pointless endings I've seen for a show of this sort.

Jex

But I explicitly wasn't talking about the execution, I was talking about the set-up. It doesn't really matter how, say, House M.D. does it differently - it's just an example.

DiGiKerot

I dropped this after episode 4. Maybe Ill watch more and see if it was worth continuing, but that would come much later. Just not worth suffering through.

You keep saying things like this, but SenColle is genuinely a better show that most of the things you subject yourself to. It's not actually a terrible show.

Branduil

But I explicitly wasn't talking about the execution, I was talking about the set-up. It doesn't really matter how, say, House M.D. does it differently - it's just an example.

It does if we're talking about holding your interest, though. To go back to this post:

It's funny that you make that comparison because House is, of course nothing more than a rather thinly veiled Sherlock Homes, a work with Hyouka is happy to partly pay reference too. The problem with the comparison to Hyouka is that, while the mysteries are certainly not the 'point' of the work, they are nevertheless important. In a murder-mystery there has been a murder, in House the patient is going to die if House doesn't work what's wrong with them. This is why they're completely different to Hyouka's "I wonder why that window was open?" type mystery. The mysteries of Hyouka are so banal that they hurt.

Yeah, the patient will die if House doesn't solve the case, but who cares? We've never seen this person before, and we know beforehand how everybody besides House will diagnose something obviously wrong, House will act rude and get in trouble with his superiors, but his methods will be vindicated by solving the case. The patient will be saved and House will say something pithy while everyone looks contemplative.

House is actually a bad example to bring up because it proves that setup isn't everything, lol.

kayos90

It does if we're talking about holding your interest, though. To go back to this post:

Yeah, the patient will die if House doesn't solve the case, but who cares? We've never seen this person before, and we know beforehand how everybody besides House will diagnose something obviously wrong, House will be rude and get in trouble with his superiors, but be vindicated by solving the case. The patient will be saved and House will say something pithy while everyone looks contemplative.

House is actually a bad example to bring up because it proves that setup isn't everything, lol.

In House's defense, they mix it up quite a bit. Season 3 is a good example of this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I like the way you feel compelled to point out that the show was Canadian. I mean, I already knew that! It's even got way better opening credits than House:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF-L7TaQR4A

Hawt.
Man, those credits gave me a flashback to my life 8 years ago. lol

I'm not sure why I pointed out its Canadian-ness... other than as a way to separate it from the American procedural or out of some sense of national pride or something. lol

No. It really does have the derpiest character designs in all the land.
Her face!!!!!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom