• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
I think it's mostly a combination of people being against incest on principle,
and people just not liking Kirino.
Both of which I think are silly, but what can you do.
Every normal human being on this meaningless floating rock in space is against incest on principle, and for good fucking reason too.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Doki 29:

Aguri: "I've been calling you all worthless weak pieces of shit this whole time but I guess the fact that you really really wub your mascots negates your string of failures and near-defeats and means you're ready for the mysterious FINAL TEST."

Every normal human being on this meaningless floating rock in space is against incest on principle, and for good fucking reason too.

In anime culture, being normal is stupid, or something.

Seriously though, yeah. Just about every even vaguely normal human being on this planet is against incest on principle for a long list of very good reasons. The idea that it should be anything other than awful and incredibly, incredibly rare is beyond bizarre, and that is why it almost never shows up outside of anime culture: it shouldn't.

Seriously, the idea that being against incest is "silly"... :lol Oh anime culture, you can be so brain-hurtingly stupid sometimes.

Doki Doki Precure 29

d3FPgd9.jpg
o7NRzCE.jpg

Actually decided to watch this now. Not exactly something I wanted to wake up to watch. Or something...

So yeah, it's primarily Shararu, whose like Mana (gasp), and Mana's getting greedy with the waifus already. I guess it's kinda neat they used an enemy that requires you to hit it from both sides in one shot. Lance and Racquel being underutilized is a reminder of how underutilized their partners are. I feel bad thinking Lovely Force Arrow was Mana's attack, but it was a group attack. Bleh.

But hay, since we feel in love with our fairies (hopefully not to the extent of Yes 5), we can do one last test! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 2 weeks from now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wish. Would be better than both of them breaking up, leaving Kyosuke with no one like what we got. Gotta commit to a route.

I guess I should ask, because I don't think I've seen an answer to this yet... but is there any real/good reason why
they get together, to the point where the guy individually turns down every girl in Japan in order to end up with his sister?

More Sailor Moon Manga stuff

Shit's a bit groosome.
First massive change... well, Jadiete's death was pretty different, but Nephrite's is a lot more considering he gets killed by Jupiter upon transformation. No romance subplot that makes him a slightly better person, nope. Once a douchebag always a douchebag.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
do you think the animator for that one scene in the last episode of the EviLore's no Imouto received therapy?

Arthea

Somehow I finished watching Arata Kangatari. It ends in cliffhanger. Is it supposed to be more seasons or something?
Also I nominate Arata for the worst main character ever and his antagonist isn't much better.
It seems to be inspired by Juuni Kokki, no?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Incest is a fairly common topic in older literature (Oedipus!) and is an interesting subject to write about precisely because, like cannibalism, it is a revolting taboo in nearly every culture. Instant drama.

I will say that it is thankfully very rare to see positive portrayals of the same outside of "anime culture," however.
I will say, even when HBO does incest, it's considered "wrong". lol

Last bit of Sailor Moon Mangoes

Pretty tired but this is Act 6 and 7

Nice to see Makoto keep her waifu traits at least. We can see the pieces of personality established, on top of Ami having girl wood for Motoki.

Zoisite's death is fucking gruesome. Venus CUT HIM UP! Holy fuck, Artemis fucking stabbed him in the hand too!

And Tuxedo Mask revealed his identity to Usagi much faster since he already figured out who she was. They were also at his house after a battle. Backstory for Mamoru is the same, but the circumstances are very different. The relationship for Zoisite and Kunzite seems nonexistent here, but maybe it'll get shown later on?

Usagi sure keeps secrets to herself. Other changes, it seems to be using more awareness in regards to the situation, the enemies practically letting themselves be known in order to brainwash people to locate the silver crystal. This... really is different.

If there's one good thing about the brisk pacing of the manga, it's that Usagi is much less annoying. Although... I wonder... they said the new anime will focus first on the OG arc right? I mean in a way, they could totally do the entire thing in one fell swoop at this pacing, but.... In some way... I wouldn't mind if it had aspects of the anime... its advantage in regards to characters and their relationships.

BluWacky

Somehow I finished watching Arata Kangatari. It ends in cliffhanger. Is it supposed to be more seasons or something?
Also I nominate Arata for the worst main character ever and his antagonist isn't much better.

I think it exists only to promote sales of the relatively successful manga. Certainly very little effort went into producing a good anime adaptation!

Rather than Juuni Kokki, which is a far more sophisticated take on the well worn "travel to another world" theme, you can trace the show's origins to Yuu Warsaw's previous, immensely successful series Fushigi Yuugi. Fushigi Yuugi is more romantic in virtually every aspect and plays more on emotional drama as a shoujo series, whereas Arata is ostensibly shounen despite the plethora of angsty bishounen.

Arthea

I think it exists only to promote sales of the relatively successful manga. Certainly very little effort went into producing a good anime adaptation!

Rather than Juuni Kokki, which is a far more sophisticated take on the well worn "travel to another world" theme, you can trace the show's origins to Yuu Warsaw's previous, immensely successful series Fushigi Yuugi. Fushigi Yuugi is more romantic in virtually every aspect and plays more on emotional drama as a shoujo series, whereas Arata is ostensibly shounen despite the plethora of angsty bishounen.

I'm not really comparing the two. Juuni Kokki is actually really good, although unfinished to this day.
I think I've seen Fushigi Yuugi, and it was structured differently, as far as I remember, it was romantic anime, yes.

Unless i read the article wrong, looking forward to hearing haruto and ledo. Good character designs.

What about gay incest?

TruBL is the best, twincest even please. So few manga leaves us with unfulfilled desires.

Thini it was made to boost manga and what not especially with that final episode tease of all the characters. Wish it was picked up for western release.

You really didnt like the inspirational arata and the kadowaki obsession with his friend that was essentially love going on?

cnet128

Banned

*sigh* When I say I think being against incest on principle is silly, I obviously don't mean that people should start treating it as a TOTALLY NORMAL THING that EVERYONE SHOULD BE DOING YOU GAIS. On account of not being an oblivious idiot, I'm perfectly aware that there are biological issues with the offspring of such relationships, and I think inherent biological tendencies (as well as social norms on top of that) are more than enough to ensure that such relationships are always going to be an incredibly rare occurrence.

I just think that in the unlikely event that they do occur, it's silly to treat such relationships as horrible and offensive on a personal level. Unless the couple in question are planning to have children (and I'd like to think most people are sane enough to not go down that route), there's really nothing fundamentally wrong with it if that's what both parties want.

To bring up an awkward analogy (because doesn't everybody just love those), you could even say that hating on incest is essentially the same as homophobia. Both are a case of dismissing the validity of a relationship because it's a) not in line with most people's inherent sexual preferences (most people aren't attracted to the same sex/close relatives), and b) biologically illogical because it's not going to produce viable offspring.

Arthea

Thini it was made to boost manga and what not especially with that final episode tease of all the characters. Wish it was picked up for western release.

You really didnt like the inspirational arata and the kadowaki obsession with his friend that was essentially love going on?

Not sure are you being sarcastic or not.
Is it possible to like the duo?
It's overplayed so much, overdramatized so much, not believable one bit. May be I'm just not into hate-love relationships, who knows? (><)

wonzo

Banned
I just think that in the unlikely event that they do occur, it's silly to treat such relationships as horrible and offensive on a personal level. Unless the couple in question are planning to have children (and I'd like to think most people are sane enough to not go down that route), there's really nothing fundamentally wrong with it if that's what both parties want.

Love is a very complicated thing but there's a big difference in portraying it realistically and glorifying it like OreImo does. Also, I think you're vastly underestimating people's ability to overcome such basic biological urges as wanting to have a baby.

To bring up an awkward analogy (because doesn't everybody just love those), you could even say that hating on incest is essentially the same as homophobia.
&#8230;

What the fuck.

Theonik

Kämpfer für die Liebe 01
iHgFlOIpRFC2F.png
iyiC2zVmgieCz.png
i4irVFBgnw5Nr.png

I did no verify whether she actually voiced that thing.
Holy :SDBurton Batman. That was... Actually... Good? Is that even the right word?
I don't know what's going on any more. After you witness a girl force her index fingers in another girl's bum during a dramatic battle montage while a (admittedly not very good) rendition of Beethoven's "O Freunde nicht diese Töne" plays, it is hard to argue against this episode. Pretty much made up for all the awful the actual series subjected us to. :chet was also abundant if that's your thing but more importantly...
It featured a respectable amount of buts.
I REGRET NOTHING

The incest in Oreimo fails to serve as a backdrop for good character drama (à la Koi Kaze) and isn't funny or entertaining (outside of the
fight scene
). I don't dislike it because of some principle. It was just creepy, but in a way that conflicted with how the show was presenting it.

Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai. 14-16 END

So that was a thing.
[...]

...Sorry for the massive wall of text. I didn't think it would get quite this huge >_______<
Thanks a lot for sharing your perpective. It helped me become slightly more happy about the ending too. And yeah, this really should've been two seasons...
Love is a very complicated thing but there's a big difference in portraying it realistically and glorifying it like OreImo does. Also, I think you're vastly underestimating people's ability to overcome such basic biological urges as wanting to have a baby.
We allow people who are retarded and have genetic diseases to have kids, so why not siblings? Their kids have way better odds.
In anime culture, being normal is stupid, or something.

Seriously though, yeah. Just about every even vaguely normal human being on this planet is against incest on principle for a long list of very good reasons. The idea that it should be anything other than awful and incredibly, incredibly rare is beyond bizarre, and that is why it almost never shows up outside of anime culture: it shouldn't.

Seriously, the idea that being against incest is "silly"... :lol Oh anime culture, you can be so brain-hurtingly stupid sometimes.
Then post that list, please. I'll be waiting.

We allow people who are retarded and have genetic diseases to have kids, so why not siblings? Their kids have way better odds.

There's a difference between denying someone with a genetic disease or disability the right to reproduce completely and telling a perfectly healthy person not to have a baby with their sibling.

Theonik

Kämpfer für die Liebe 02 Ende
icaZILT31uy56.png
ibtjB9SBT9lnK9.png
ixDbsrY2waszj.png

:SDBurton levels were critical on this episode also
Substantially less good good compared to the previous episode but it delivered on the lewd and :sdburton so honestly I can't hate on it.
MC still annoying as hell, like harem protags are.
I guess that's about all there is to see now. (I also just watched the omakes but there really isn't much to talk about there, an :SDBurton dressing room scene, a shower scene, and a groping scene, comprised mostly of stills lasting 1 minute for each episode.

BluWacky

To bring up an awkward analogy (because doesn't everybody just love those), you could even say that hating on incest is essentially the same as homophobia. Both are a case of dismissing the validity of a relationship because it's a) not in line with most people's inherent sexual preferences (most people aren't attracted to the same sex/close relatives), and b) biologically illogical because it's not going to produce viable offspring.

The difference being, of course, that gay sex never results in offspring, whreas incest can - there's no particular evolutionary deterrent to gay sex (because of course you can always sleep with someone of the opposite gender) unlike incest.

I am no zoologist, but Wikipedia also suggests that many animals display an aversion to incestuous relationships, although I guess that can't be easy to measure in animals where we don't have some level of social understanding.

I think, essentially, once again you've reminded us that you're an only child :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom