• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R patched to 1.3: 60fps, story mode camera changes, lag improved, etc

Spy

I can't complain anymore but before I purchase, is it a permanent exclusive? I would hate for it to come to PS4 and miss the boat.

Kinsei

Banned
I can't complain anymore but before I purchase, is it a permanent exclusive? I would hate for it to come to PS4 and miss the boat.

We know Nintendo is partially responsible for the game existing. While it's not impossible for it to go multiplat, the chances are slim.

_woLf

Going to give Konami credit where it's due. Their post release support for this game has been incredible. And completely out of nowhere.

The game runs so, so much better now. And their changes to the controls are very significant for me. It's much tighter and far easier to move around.

This is awesome. I wonder why they decided to do so much.

duckroll

I think the odds of it going on other platforms is not impossible but won't happen anytime soon. At most in a year or two if they release a sequel, maaaaybe it'll be multiplatform. Nintendo wouldn't feature it on a Treehouse segment as part of the marketing for the game if they didn't have decent involvement in the game.

Just bought the game because of this news. Downloading as we speak!

So how big is it? I'm still debating between picking it up later at a store or just downloading it from the eShop.

jonno394

Going to give Konami credit where it's due. Their post release support for this game has been incredible. And completely out of nowhere.

The game runs so, so much better now. And their changes to the controls are very significant for me. It's much tighter and far easier to move around.

This is awesome. I wonder why they decided to do so much.

I wonder how much of it was "ok guys, we need to rush to get this out, we know it's not perfect but it's playable. If we reach X amount of sales we can justify an extended budget/post launch dev period to allow patches and free dlc. If we don't reach X then we won't do anything"

NateDrake

I think the odds of it going on other platforms is not impossible but won't happen anytime soon. At most in a year or two if they release a sequel, maaaaybe it'll be multiplatform. Nintendo wouldn't feature it on a Treehouse segment as part of the marketing for the game if they didn't have decent involvement in the game.

So how big is it? I'm still debating between picking it up later at a store or just downloading it from the eShop.

With the update, it's about 2.4GB.

_woLf

I wonder how much of it was "ok guys, we need to rush to get this out, we know it's not perfect but it's playable. If we reach X amount of sales we can justify an extended budget/post launch dev period to allow patches and free dlc. If we don't reach X then we won't do anything"

I imagine that is the case, but even then, totally out of left field from post-Kojima scandal Konami. Just really crazy and unexpected (just as was my reaction when the game was announced.) Totally not complaining, though.

Lucifon

Holy moly. This is something I never thought would happen especially from Konami. Going to fire this back up this weekend and play some with the other half!

Zalman

I enjoy that you can have a fixed camera now. It didn't bother me too much before, but this feels more like classic Bomberman.

mstevens

The sales seemed pretty good for this already, and now it seems like even more people will pick it up. Positive vibes all around.

I still can't believe of all the games that makes Konami seem like they might give a shit again, it's a Bomberman one. It would have been easy for them to push out a rushed launch game, and leave it as is. 2017 truly is a magical year for games.

ekim

Multiplayer is definitely improved and runs verrrry smooth, not sure if 60FPS but close to it. Resolution took a hit. Story mode is still at 30FPS though

ITSMILNER

To those that own this/played it can you answer some questions I have?

1. Donthe stages vary in anyway? Environmental effects or anything?

2. In multiplayer are there different modes or is it just standard Bomberman? Like one where you have to bomb as much as possible to colour tiles on the floor in your colour? That was in a Bomberman before right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
2. In multiplayer are there different modes or is it just standard Bomberman? Like one where you have to bomb as much as possible to colour tiles on the floor in your colour? That was in a Bomberman before right?

I don't remember this but I want it. They could do a tie in with Nintendo for a splatoon mode, with ink-filled water bombs and squid/kids.

This patch fixed a lot more than I thought but my biggest complaint about the game sadly still hasn't been fixed: the gems.

Everything costs a ridiculous amount of gems and you get so little, no matter what you do. I didn't even know you could upgrade the hats and once I saw how much each upgrade costed, I almost died. All of the new stages are also locked behind gems too, each at 4K a pop. I only get 300+ gems a run in World 1 because I suck at Bomberman and I made the mistake of buying a special stage because it was cheap early on so I'm a good ways away from buying anything. They really need to double (or even triple) the gem output, cut all the shop prices and give out gems in local multiplayer (like 100 for 4 player matches and 200 for 8 player matches or something like that).

Where did they say this?
There are many articles about it, such as this one: https://mynintendonews.com/2017/03/12/super-bomberman-r-sales-indicate-that-its-the-best-selling-in-its-franchise-in-nearly-20-years/

However, I found the original source, and the quote is much more vague - they were asked if they would consider other franchises if this did well, and the response was "Regardless of Super Bomberman R’s success, we are always evaluating opportunities for all of our IPs."

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
There are many articles about it, such as this one: https://mynintendonews.com/2017/03/12/super-bomberman-r-sales-indicate-that-its-the-best-selling-in-its-franchise-in-nearly-20-years/

However, I found the original source, and the quote is much more vague - they were asked if they would consider other franchises if this did well, and the response was "Regardless of Super Bomberman R’s success, we are always evaluating opportunities for all of our IPs."

Ah so its nothing then...until today where they probably are seriously considering it.

Theswweet

Someone earlier in the thread analyzed the story mode footage post-patch... it's around 50~ FPS, so still definitely an improvement.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Multiplayer is definitely improved and runs verrrry smooth, not sure if 60FPS but close to it. Resolution took a hit. Story mode is still at 30FPS though
I confirm resolution took a hit. I won't complain as it's more pleasing to the eye at this framerate, and it plays better too. I only tried it in handheld mode before going to work. I'll check tonight how it looks docked.

I always thought people asking for a different framerate target were out of their minds.

----

https://www.konami.com/games/bomberman/r/us/en/news/#news170421
Because you thought it wouldn't make a difference, or because it would never happen? BTW it's not anything close to a locked 60, but just the very fact that the frame rate is unlocked makes the game SO SO SO much more responsive. This game is a textbook case of a game's frame rate mattering and of how people who care about the frame rate aren't nitpicky pissants.

How are the controls now ? Still not grid based but does it controls well ?
They finally feel like this game is supposed to feel. As another poster said, it'd be nice if there were clearly defined grid positions so that I don't get killed by a bomb when I think I'm out of harm's way.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Aka 98% of what people call well managed fiscally responsible software projects are like that IMHO...

deleted

Well, I just bought it for 20 Euro on Amazon thanks to this news (from a seller marked with the game labeled 'new' - worth the risk) :p

I don't really understand Konami on this
not that they make any more sense elsewhere though
though. Bomberman 64 seems to be the best selling Bomberman so far according to the NPD thread, but they never revisited this Bomberman formula? How come?

Top Bottom