• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Eyepatch Wolf: The Fall of the Simpsons - How it happened

devonodev

Video wasn't too bad, made some good points.

I've seen every Simpsons episode including the new ones, every now and then there is a good episode, but so many now are just boring. The plot is simple, and lacking jokes.

Also theres too many episodes where the entire thing is a parody of another show. 24, Homeland and Mad Men, none of these shows needs a whole Simpsons episode about it. Especially when the whole joke seems to be the fact Homer's quoting the show. Save it for a Halloween short.

UberTag

Are we all in the agreement that season 6 was the absolute peak?
Season 6 gets my vote as the best. Season 4 is 2nd best.
Of course, my opinion may be nullified in that I rank Season 11 below almost all of the HD-era seasons.
I would counter that most of the people that would object to this haven't watched all of the HD-era seasons.

Also theres too many episodes where the entire thing is a parody of another show. 24, Homeland and Mad Men, none of these shows needs a whole Simpsons episode about it. Especially when the whole joke seems to be the fact Homer's quoting the show. Save it for a Halloween short.
But the 24 parody was actually good.

Triple Dash

Neo Member
Season 6 has my vote as the peak.

Didn't get into the Simpsons until around Season 12 (~Age 11) so I do have a soft spot for the show up to Season ~17. Only around the post-Movie era did the show take a notable quality dive for me personally.

Cat Party

The wit of the writing for peak Simpsons is basically unparalleled in the history of TV imo. It's the reason why there's a Simpsons picture for everything. It's the reason why the lines or gifs still make you laugh all these years later even after watching the episodes over and over.

I'm glad the video brought up the multiple layers to some of the jokes, because that is something I really started to notice as I rewatched the show in my adult life. Maybe as a kid one or two of those layers hit me, but as an adult I'm taking them all in at once and it's fucking hysterical. I often have to pause the show and think about what I just saw because I'm laughing so hard.

7Vnug4E.jpg

It's fucking amazing and those writers are all geniuses.

Yes, definitely, but don't discount the impact of the animation direction during those years as well. David Silverman was as important to the show's brilliance as any of the writers. We remember the scenes, not just the quotes.

Are we all in the agreement that season 6 was the absolute peak?

Season 6 gets my vote as the best. Season 4 is 2nd best.
Of course, my opinion may be nullified in that I rank Season 11 below almost all of the HD-era seasons.
I would counter that most of the people that would object to this haven't watched all of the HD-era seasons.

But the 24 parody was actually good.

Didn't get into the Simpsons until around Season 12 (~Age 11) so I do have a soft spot for the show up to Season ~17. Only around the post-Movie era did the show take a notable quality dive for me personally.
Season 6 is correct, because it has Lemon of Troy, the best episode ever.

BTW those simpsons world episodes are overscanned to fill up widescreen TV's and have a lot of scenes edited out so you are missing out on a lot. They really dropped the ball on that one. I stopped watching them once I realized they were removing some of the best scenes in the episodes. So disappointing. I guess they are never going to do unaltered blu-ray's.

This isn't true anymore. Simpsons world has the option to play in 16:9 or 4:3 for awhile now and the episodes are the exact same as what was on the DVD (which was always unaltered episodes). On top of that I think online includes commentary and deleted scenes similar to what was available on the DVDs. If you have the option to watch episodes on Simpsons world and don't want to buy the DVDs then there's no reason not to watch it online.

UberTag

I won't begrudge you much for that opinion. Season 15 wound up pretty damn good.

I also have a soft spot for Seasons 12-16... not because they measure up to the Classic era (because they don't - not even close)... but because those are the seasons where the Lauren MacMullan episodes can be found.

People may revere Brad Bird but he never showcased his directorial craft on The Simpsons the way Lauren did. He directed like 1 1/2 episodes... whereas Lauren is one of the all-time best directors The Simpsons ever had.

Brad's still an incomparable talent. The Incredibles is excellent. He just didn't get to showcase his potential with the show.

Yes, definitely, but don't discount the impact of the animation direction during those years as well. David Silverman was as important to the show's brilliance as any of the writers. We remember the scenes, not just the quotes.
David Silverman is also in my Top 3 directors. Hell, the show owes more to David than just about anyone. He directed the Ullman shorts. He directed the first episode. He directed the first episode to air. He directed the movie. And he'll direct (AND WRITE) the Season 29 episode that will topple the Gunsmoke record. He's a pro.

jstripes

Banned
Homer's enemy destroyed the soul of the show. That's the turning point.

To be fair to the showrunners for that season they were operating under the impression that it was likely The Simpsons' final season. For that reason they thought it would be fun to test the boundaries of the show: No consequences. (Oops.)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm about 3:30 into the video in the OP. Did Super Eyepatch Wolf just ignore Married with Children ever happening?

I'm about 3:30 into the video in the OP. Did Super Eyepatch Wolf just ignore Married with Children ever happening?

Yes.
He also doesn't fully contextualize Fox's influence on weeknight evening television, and although a lot of their early shit did not stick, they were the counter programming network for everything else on the air at the time. I believe MwC (along with Roseanne's influence) does get covered in the zombie simpsons megablog sourced in the video though.

The huge reaction to the show, both positive and negative, was greatly abetted by all those years of timidity and repetitiveness on the part of the three major networks. The revolt had begun with shows like Married . . . with Children and Roseanne, both of which took as a given a working class, explicitly anti-“Cosby” mentality.7 But while those shows had the attitude, they were inherently limited by their laughtracked, live action, living-room-with-a-couch setup. The Simpsons had no such restrictions, and cast its scorn over everything.

So if you find the video a bit of an abridged slog, I highly recommend reading the link above.

Kaji AF16

Very good analysis, IMHO. I never really thought about the factors behind the by now famous decadence of what I consider one of the greatest cultural products of all time, but I have to agree with most of what is said and shown in that video.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yes.
He also doesn't fully contextualize Fox's influence on weeknight evening television, and although a lot of their early shit did not stick, they were the counter programming network for everything else on the air at the time. I believe MwC (along with Roseanne's influence) does get covered in the zombie simpsons megablog sourced in the video though.

So if you find the video a bit of an abridged slog, I highly recommend reading the link above.

Thanks!

How old is he? He doesn't sound old enough to have been aware of that show back then.

I thought it might have been more of a regional issue. There was no reason to miss it when he was specifically going through the history of entertainment in the 80's leading up to the arrival of The Simpson's.

Yo Super Eyepatch Wolf's voice is smooth as fuck you guys are crazy

But anyway this is probably one of the better videos on the systems and one of his personal best that I've seen. Hope he keeps it up because he's been killing it lately

Varna

I still have to get the first 10 or so seasons on DVD. Is that the common jumping off point? The first Episode I remember truly hating was the one were they went to Africa.

I still have to get the first 10 or so seasons on DVD. Is that the common jumping off point? The first Episode I remember truly hating was the one were they went to Africa.

More or less yeah, I own 1-9 and despite a few clear funny outliers, the drop off was already taking place by 9.

Yo Super Eyepatch Wolf's voice is smooth as fuck you guys are crazy

But anyway this is probably one of the better videos on the systems and one of his personal best that I've seen. Hope he keeps it up because he's been killing it lately
Thank god for this. Such a pleseant listening experience.

Txαi

Yeah, his voice is fine.

IIRC later Simpsons seasons don't have much to offer in the way of storyboards, either (especially on newer episodes). The camera stays on flat perspective for the most part, whereas on earlier seasons, a lot of shots had well-thought and varied camera angles/movement. Same can be said about PPG, from the first to late seasons of the '00s.

Tunahead

You can have good comedy in those shows with and without them, but they are too often used as a crutch.

Or in the case of something like the Big Bang Theory, the show is an even emptier husk without them.

Disagree completely about Big Bang Theory. I think it's a real boring show with the laugh track, but with the laugh track removed it becomes a harrowing existential nightmare and that's at least interesting if nothing else.

dh4niel

I loved the Simpsons as a kid but I really haven't enjoyed it for about 10 years now. I didn't really like the film but I did like that Hank/Skinner episode everyone seems to shit on.

Season 5 is probably my favourite season, although season 6 is fantastic as well. Season 6 also has my favourite ever episode, Homer Badman

SKINNER!

Banned
Strange to think that The Simpsons Movie is 10 years old and even back then the TV Show was absolutely terrible. We've had more than 10 years of bad Simpsons episodes clearly outnumbering the first 6-ish good seasons. Shame :(

Disagree completely about Big Bang Theory. I think it's a real boring show with the laugh track, but with the laugh track removed it becomes a harrowing existential nightmare and that's at least interesting if nothing else.

All sitcoms with a live audience do. The actors have to wait for the audience to be quieter, in order to deliver their next line.

It's a super lazy and incorrect criticism.
It's as true a fact for The Big Bang Theory (which may or not be good/something you like) as it is for Father Ted (widely seen as one of the greatest of all time).

UberTag

More or less yeah, I own 1-9 and despite a few clear funny outliers, the drop off was already taking place by 9.
The Classic era ended when Mike Scully took over as showrunner in Season 9. The consistent quality of the show fell away at that point although there are a number of holdover episodes from earlier show runner teams smattered throughout that season to obfuscate things and Scully himself had a couple solid episodes - namely The Cartridge Family and Das Bus - to further muddy the drop-off.

But yeah, it ends with him taking over and the standard of quality fell completely apart by the time Season 11 rolls around and they just say "fuck it" and embrace wackiness. I'll quote myself here...

Almost all of it remains abysmally awful even on the 10th rewatch. This was the season that embraced stupid for the sake of stupid... be it poison eclairs, spying Major League Baseball, renegade horse jockeys who are also leprechauns, Maude getting killed by a T-shirt gun, self-tapping shoes, Homer fleeing PBS to bring religion and gambling to a bunch of natives, Donald Trump as president... and I haven't even mentioned Kill the Alligator and Run yet. I suppose Behind the Laughter is OK... but even that gets more credit for being meta than being entertaining.

BajiBoxer

Banned
This thread makes me want to start watching the Simpsons again from the beginning. Now that I'm in my mid-late 30s it'd be cool to see how my perspective and sense of humor has changed.

Season 11 is goddamn amazing. The show had definitely lost its way, but those episodes are so chock full of great one liners, comedic timing and slapstick that I love it just as much as earlier stuff.

A show that lasts for so long is bound to display signs of fatigue, and over decades many ideas get retreads just for the sake of squeezing one more episode out of a still-successful franchise. The zeitgeist moves on and a show that could have been put out to grass long ago clings on to a bare semblance of life.

But a YouTube commentator who insists on making bloated videos lasting the length of a feature film just to do what many others have done in far more concise form, that's really taking the piss.

StayDead

I can't watch the video as I'm at work, but my thoughts and the reason it went downhill is rather than being about springfield, they started doing more and more of the celebrity cameo and parody episodes. This is somewhat an obvious step to take when they run out of ideas, but that I believe is the problem. It tried to become Family Guy which sucks for the same reasons.

A video like this has very little value to me.

What hasn't been said about the brilliance and eventual downfall of the Simpsons? All we can say that it went from one of the best television shows every, to a mediocre one, and that it is because of a whole bunch of factors. Name anything related to making a show, and it took a downturn in the later seasons: the humor, the character development, the stories, the animation, ... everything.

It's when people try to pinpoint one specific episode or moment as "the turning point", that I groan. "That was when homer became super stupid". Nope, homer has always been super stupid. "That was when homer became jerk homer." Nope, homer has always been a huge jerk. "That was when the Simpsons went from a grounded show into fantasy." Nope, the series has often dwelled in nonsensical or strange stories. "That is when they started doing celeb cameos for the sake of it." Nope, Simpsons has always had cameo's, often with the celebs portraying themselves.

All I can say is that for me season 9 is where it all starts to fall apart. Where there is a definite change, with episodes I...don't like. As I said: the stories, the characters, the humor, .... it all takes a hit in quality. And from that point on into the following seasons it just gets worse and worse.

Violet_0

Banned
All sitcoms with a live audience do. The actors have to wait for the audience to be quieter, in order to deliver their next line.

It's a super lazy and incorrect criticism.
It's as true a fact for The Big Bang Theory (which may or not be good/something you like) as it is for Father Ted (widely seen as one of the greatest of all time).
that's a valid argument if they did everything in one take. But everything requires multiple takes, the audience sometimes get subjected to hours of the same scene. They actually do need to be reminded to laugh enthusiastically whenever a jokes comes up. Not to mention whatever they add in the sound mixing. It's artificial, it's fake, it's terribly outdated. And yeah I've read that long article about the guy who works as a live audience entertainer that was linked in a thread here a while ago
Did Futurama suffer from the same decline as the Simpsons by the way?
the movies in-between the original run and the new seasons killed it. The first movie is actually good, however. And I do recall two memorable episodes from after the show came back

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Seasons 1 - 2: The show was trying to figure out what the hell it was doing, but it was rough, unfunny, and honestly kind of trash during this time.
Seasons 3 - 8 - Some of the best comedy T.V. in history
Seasons 9 - 15 - Nowhere near as good as the prior period, with bizarre, nonsensical plots, but still have great jokes, gags and one-liners.
Seasons 16 - 19 - Started to get shitty all around. Hardly even any good one-off jokes throughout an entire episode.
Seasons 20 - present - This is when the show started getting animated in HD to mimic the look of the movie, and has never had any redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Strax

Season 19 is top 5, maybe top 3.

Loona

It still has its moments, despite its focus, like when the girls discuss Thor's hammer and the transitive property of picking up things, comparing something picking up Thor holding the hammer to trying to pick up someone already trying to pick up somebody else, or lines like "
just because I love you doesn't mean girls are allowed in my room
", or just about anything with Sheldon's mom - when it's not relying on references or the audience's ignorance on some topic it's mostly fine.

As for SEW, I like his videos, but he's better off articulating the appeal of something that intimidatingly huge yet popular without fully spoiling it, than retreading something that's already been written about for what are now decades to point out its problems.

Reminds me of how MASH looked when shown on the BBC. One week by mistake they showed it with a laughter track, and I realised all those deep pauses weren't intended to underline the characters' despair at the essential depravity of war. They were just gaps for the laugh to be inserted later.

Ryck

Season 19 is top 5, maybe top 3.
I actually liked 18 quite a bit. It seemed to have a unique humor compared to all the other post season 9 stuff. I didn't watch 19 but I wonder if it had some of the same writers involved.

I really enjoyed this video, he does a great breakdown of what happened and what made peak Simpsons so good.

It might be time for another watch-thru.

(Seasons 1-8)

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I actually liked 18 quite a bit. It seemed to have a unique humor compared to all the other post season 9 stuff. I didn't watch 19 but I wonder if it had some of the same writers involved.

I really enjoyed this video, he does a great breakdown of what happened and what made peak Simpsons so good.

It might be time for another watch-thru.

(Seasons 1-8)

You know, even after agreeing with everything in this video, I was super-excited yesterday when I discovered the news that the DVD releases are coming back.

Starting with Season 18!

Top Bottom