• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-e-f-

Banned
I thought it was a good turn-based strategy game. Good mechanics with the six soldiers. Each one was unique and served a purpose (even if that stealth soldier who shanks everyone and gets an extra turn was a little OP). The leveling up was handled well with gaining new abilities. Solid difficulty curve. Lots of content with individual bonus missions.

Full disclosure, I had only played two tutorial missions and continued today while I had to wait somewhere. I'm following Youtuber ChristopherOdd's Let's Play of XCOM Enemy Within right now and I'm totally addicted to it which spawned me popping in Shadow Wars finally. I tried playing a Fire Emblem before that to get my fix but they're so different. It helps that Shadow Wars has the original X-COM guy working on it, it seems, as I feel it reminds me a lot of how XCOM plays. It also makes me wish XCOM Enemy Unknown and/or Enemy Within were on 3DS and/or WiiU. Shadow Wars tells me the 3DS could definitely handle a graphically scaled back version and watching the Let's Play on the GamePad also shows how the UI is almost entirely readable just from the PC version.

But err ... totally off topic, sorry. Mario! Yay! Still gotta wait at least two weeks before my copy gets here :(

Haha. Fuck - even the cringe-worthy comments on the review sites are extremely positive.

"This sucks! I HATE cats, but I like trains. This game may make me buy a Wii U".

Hahaha

I thought it was a good turn-based strategy game. Good mechanics with the six soldiers. Each one was unique and served a purpose (even if that stealth soldier who shanks everyone and gets an extra turn was a little OP). The leveling up was handled well with gaining new abilities. Solid difficulty curve. Lots of content with individual bonus missions.

I'm a little sour on the game thinking about it in retrospect, because I found it worthwhile when I played it. Upon replays it felt like a game with a solid foundation but no ambition outside of it. Which isn't to say that it's a bad game, but man, back when the 3DS was a $250 brick with no games you wouldn't believe the praise I'd hear from people essentially trying to justify their purchase.

prag16

Banned
I'm sure this has already been mentioned many times in this topic.

But what in the hell was the kotaku guy thinking? That has to be the worst and most misleading opening line in video game review history...

DeaviL

Banned

But what in the hell was the kotaku guy thinking? That has to be the worst and most misleading opening line in video game review history...

"We must please our Microsoft masters" ?

j/k

D-e-f-

Banned

He was channeling his inner Chris Kohler.

So the game went down a point on Metacritic because AusGamers gave it an 8.0/10. Thoughts?

AusGamers said:
The game is at odds with itself for not being as inventive as it should be, but being so good because of all invention that's come before it. Mario, in this sense, is his own worst enemy.

GameCritics - 6.0/10
I'm sure some players will get a kick out of throwing each other into pits or causing chaos in a cat suit, but 3D World stands squarely in the shadow of other, greater entries in the series. I'll be happy to return to the franchise when a brighter light bulb goes off in the Nintendo development studio at some point in the future, but if the next few entries are as content to coast as this one, I won't feel bad about skipping them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom