• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| RSVP: Guests of the Groom

Crazyorloco

Assist mode is great. My daughter has really been enjoying the game a lot more. She’s even finding things I haven’t found in my file. Great game.

Well done nintendo.

I do feel like this game is noticeably easier to a degree. For me a very glaring example, even if small, is with a specific area in which lava is rising and you need to escape through a pipe before it dies. If you reach the top platform where the pipe is, the lava stops rising before it floods the top platform, meaning if you reach the top platform, you're safe and guaranteed to move on. Meanwhile, in similar sequences in games like Galaxy, the lava would flood everything, including the pipe/launch star so if you weren't quick enough you'd lose your method of escape and end up dying. It's small details like this that kind of resonate with me when it comes to the difficulty.

rsnl

Neo Member
Am i the only one that noticed how dead the forum is?

Like last posts for threads on first page are 3-4 hours old :/

ehead

Its just a bit slow. Everyone’s either too busy playing the game or they’re in another forum. Either way, this pace makes me appreciate the long posts more as they’re not quickly buried by a bunch of one-liners.

0racle

Im early into the game;

Sometimes when Im in a room that has fire on a torch or whatnot I can extinguish it with my hat. When are are out I usually hear a noise or chime as if something is unlocked but I never see anything.

Im in the sand area.

NikuNashi

The Water/Beach level with the sparkling water was my favourite so far, beautiful gameplay, relatively hard boss (meaning I didn't complete it without dying like most of the bosses), lovely atmosphere. On the food level now, not massively enjoying this one.

Grinchy

Banned
Im early into the game;

Sometimes when Im in a room that has fire on a torch or whatnot I can extinguish it with my hat. When are are out I usually hear a noise or chime as if something is unlocked but I never see anything.

Im in the sand area.

Yeah I don't know what's up with that, either. Is it just giving a coin bonus? I can never tell what it's doing.

So this is the so called "Nintendo magic"...

The following thoughts come from a lifelong Playstation-only player, having it´s first 3D Mario experience ever.

Finished the main story 2 hours ago and I still like my heart is about to burst out from my chest after the overload of emotions from that ending sequence. What a sublime way to cap off an already incredible game (pun intended).

The charm and creativity at display in here is unlike anything I have ever played. From the art direction, to the music, to the characters, everything is pure bliss.

Simply controlling Mario and mastering all of his moves feels great.

Simply landing in a new kingdom and spotting like ten points of interest at once feels great, and it gets even better, after the fact that no matter which way you decide to explore, you are guaranteed to find something fun, something worthwhile.

Simply, an amazing game, one of the best I have ever played.

Minor gripes:

If there one thing I feel SMO is lacking, that would be some more RAW platforming, I finished with 360 moons, and haven´t delved into the postgame content yet, so hopefully that can feel the gap.

Gaining new moons is fairly addictive, but since some of the ways to obtain them start repeating in every kingdom, some of the inicial surprise is lost unfortunately. Hopefully we get a SMO2 with even more variety.

In that same vein, I feel the boss fights with th Broodals are certainly are not up to par with the rest of the experience, not only they are just too easy, but again, the variety is lacking.

Aside from that, this is still absolutely deserving of a personal 10/10.
I feel like I recovered something precious after all this, the joy of playing a videogame, just for the sake of playing.
Thanks for reading.

So this is the so called "Nintendo magic"...

The following thoughts come from a lifelong Playstation-only player, having it´s first 3D Mario experience ever.

... *Note: Shortned for brevity.

Minor gripes:

If there one thing I feel SMO is lacking, that would be some more RAW platforming, I finished with 360 moons, and haven´t delved into the postgame content yet, so hopefully that can feel the gap.

Gaining new moons is fairly addictive, but since some of the ways to obtain them start repeating in every kingdom, some of the inicial surprise is lost unfortunately. Hopefully we get a SMO2 with even more variety.

In that same vein, I feel the boss fights with th Broodals are certainly are not up to par with the rest of the experience, not only they are just too easy, but again, the variety is lacking.
Thanks for sharing your toughts. What other 3D platformers have you played?

i think your claim of this been your first 3D Mario rings very true, since the complains apply to the other 3D games but mostly to Mario 64 and Sunshine.

As examplles, in 64 there's 8 red coins and 100 coin challenges for every level and repeated activities like racing Koopa the Quick or sliding courses. Sunshine has you spraying water to the same villian once per level and multiple times in the hub area or racing the Piantisimo in various ocassions as well as returning 8 red coin challenges.

Since the boss figth statement singles out the Broodals my take is you enjoyed the other boss fights?

Here's the thing with the Broodals: Basically they are the equivalent of Koopa Kids or Boon Boons from other games. Within this context they are possibly the ones that are less bad. They have more or less interesting patterns that vary per match and there's the addition for the player to learn attack interrupts to keep things interesting. Topper's (green suit bunny) final form is interesting with him hiding in like 10 hats.

i think there's no point talking about 64 bosses. In Sunshine's case, the game reuses the ones that are not that great like Monty Mole or the Big Blooper.

According to your gripes i think the Galaxy games will be more to your tastes probably even more so than Odyssey. They can be found for 20 each new and used Wiis are still rather cheap these days.

fHjPb2L.jpg

100% all the power moons this morning before went to sleep. Took 100 hours or more (based on the game timer on profile page). Also grind enough gold coins to max out Odyssey's tank to 999. Had about 9900+ coins before I started that last moon level and when the challenge was completed, I was down to 5400. With 10 coins per death, you can calculate how many times I died doing that level. :p

Typhares

fHjPb2L.jpg

100% all the power moons this morning before went to sleep. Took 100 hours or more (based on the game timer on profile page). Also grind enough gold coins to max out Odyssey's tank to 999. Had about 9900+ coins before I started that last moon level and when the challenge was completed, I was down to 5400. With 10 coins per death, you can calculate how many times I died doing that level. :p

Wow well done!

I finally caved and bought a switch last saturday just for Mario (and botw later) and I'm having a blast.
I only have like 70 moons or so and some of them were a bit eye rolling easy but it's kinda nice if I think about moons as a normal collectible more than this special item that stars used to be.

Wow well done!

I finally caved and bought a switch last saturday just for Mario (and botw later) and I'm having a blast.
I only have like 70 moons or so and some of them were a bit eye rolling easy but it's kinda nice if I think about moons as a normal collectible more than this special item that stars used to be.

Thank you. IMO the story mode serves as a primer/refresher/newcomers for those who has never played a game of this genre, hence why some of the moons are easy. The game opens up significantly after story mode is complete. I had anxiety whenever I had to go into a moon pipe (not the regular green pipe), levels in those pipes gets significantly harder as you progress up the latter kingdoms.

And if that doesn't faze the hardcore-seeker, the reward from the very last secret kingdom makes the game even harder. Not gonna spoil what it is. :p

DonF

What a disappointment was finishing
the darker side of the moon
I mean, I felt that it was a cool moment with cappy talking while you go up that skyscraper...but just 3 moons and back to the beginning... and the "reward"...invisible cap...god damn
At least the stage itself was challenging and cool...

I felt that the reward is the journey itself, not the destination. I seriously felt competent enough after that final secret kingdom to do all the advanced Mario move combos to 100% the game. The last 4 moon missions I left to complete for last (because I was still struggling at navigating them safely without dying) require every ounce of effort doing those moves in succession at the right timing to complete them. They're at the penultimate secret kingdom though, not that last one. And those 4 moon missions takes away my "safety net": you need to park Cappy at the scarecrow before attempting them. My own weakness I guess. The game trains you meticulously to use Cappy and then takes it away on the hardest stages. :p

cereal_killerxx

I was stuck on a moon this weekend. One that apparently is considered one of the harder moons of the game.
Jump-rope Genius in Metro Kingdom where you have to do 100 jumps without failing. It took me like 50 tries at least.
A breathed a wonderful sigh of relief when I finally finished it. Actually... I threw my controller and jumped out of my seat lol

So, I'm actually really hoping there aren't any ultra frustrating challenges like Champion's Road from Super Mario 3D World. I still have yet to beat that level :/

Shifty

I was stuck on a moon this weekend. One that apparently is considered one of the harder moons of the game.
Jump-rope Genius in Metro Kingdom where you have to do 100 jumps without failing. It took me like 50 tries at least.
A breathed a wonderful sigh of relief when I finally finished it. Actually... I threw my controller and jumped out of my seat lol

So, I'm actually really hoping there aren't any ultra frustrating challenges like Champion's Road from Super Mario 3D World. I still have yet to beat that level :/

Just wait until you find the 100
volley
challenge in the
seaside
kingdom.

One of the few moons in this game that I consider to be legitimately garbage.

bosh

fHjPb2L.jpg

Nice job !

Have that challenge done already as well as the darker side challenge completed. Now I just need to mop up 100 moons across all planets (at 730) and do the remaining stuff to get to 999

thewillbox

Neo Member
Finished the game over the weekend and did some of the post game stuff. I really enjoyed all of the new mechanics, learning how to chain moves to platform faster and go further.

I heard it was too late to submit SMO for AGDQ, but I'm looking forward to see some amazing speed runs of this in different categories down the road.

I was bored after finishing up the game, so I took up GameXplain's challenge to do the "Impossible Jump" into Metro Kingdom without using the spark pylon.

Here's how I did mine. There's multiple variations on how to do this. Launch with a roll, triple jumps to build up speed to launch. My version uses airdive immediately to long jump instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nz69sGUmns

Roufianos

Am I the only one who finds the forest levels ugly as hell? The grass looks like something out of a gritty shooter, not Mario.

Grinchy

Banned
Am I the only one who finds the forest levels ugly as hell? The grass looks like something out of a gritty shooter, not Mario.

Yeah it is. It kinda just shows how important it is to go with art over realism for a 60fps Switch game. The desire to go realistic with the grass just shows how bad the textures have to be to keep up the 60fps. It looks like a PS3 game or something.

Not as ugly as the Metro Kingdom. As much as I enjoyed it, it's absolutely hideous in every regard. The clashing art styles are just too much. I hope we never see proportioned humans next to Mario again.

Not as ugly as the Metro Kingdom. As much as I enjoyed it, it's absolutely hideous in every regard. The clashing art styles are just too much. I hope we never see proportioned humans next to Mario again.

I thought that was the most fun level in terms of style something so different and out of the box.

Kickz

So I just beat that Dragon Boss last night and it was awesome.

I wish the rest of the game was harder like that boss was for me.

I really do not understand why there isn't a hard mode for Mario games, especially one like Odyssey when the main campaign is extreeeeemely easy???

Beegeous

I really do not understand why there isn't a hard mode for Mario games, especially one like Odyssey when the main campaign is extreeeeemely easy???

Just wait until the post-game.

Astral Dog

Thank you. IMO the story mode serves as a primer/refresher/newcomers for those who has never played a game of this genre, hence why some of the moons are easy. The game opens up significantly after story mode is complete. I had anxiety whenever I had to go into a moon pipe (not the regular green pipe), levels in those pipes gets significantly harder as you progress up the latter kingdoms.

And if that doesn't faze the hardcore-seeker, the reward from the very last secret kingdom makes the game even harder. Not gonna spoil what it is. :p

i think some of the post game moons should have been on the main plot, though they are easier to find, like the the hat ghost or the bunnies, while they would be easy to find and discourage exploration, whats the point in throwing many easy moons after bowser?

Astral Dog

And i just realized that boss
is not fightable on the mushroom kingdom
:(

does anybody know what the other painting on the wedding hall is? the broodals?

ChuyMasta

Why doesnt the game allow me to revisit kingdoms after a certain event?!

I wanna go back to a certain kingdom and fully explore it but cappy is all: No! We gotta rescue those 2!

i think some of the post game moons should have been on the main plot, though they are easier to find, like the the hat ghost or the bunnies, while they would be easy to find and discourage exploration, whats the point in throwing many easy moons after bowser?

And i just realized that boss
is not fightable on the mushroom kingdom
:(

does anybody know what the other painting on the wedding hall is? the broodals?

I'm looking at this from the perspective of players who are new to 3D Mario, and the concept of finding these moons being new to them. I'm talking about my nephews. We tend to forget that it's easy for us to find because we're exposed to the concept of Mario and its mechanics, but to the newcomers, the "easy moons" are incentives for these young ones to continue progressing in the game. I've discouraged them from turning on Assist Mode so that they do the exploration themselves, and if they're stuck, they can spend their coins at the Hint Toad. I agree they're easy for veterans like us, I've already passed 500 moons after 2 days of solid play, but those moons comes far and few in between as the number climbs past 600. Without looking for guides online of course.

The other painting in the wedding hall is the harder version of the endgame Bowser fight. "Harder" being subjective, being that
Bowser simply changes his attack pattern randomly with his tail swipes after being stunned by the hat-boxing.
. Also, that
Dragon Boss/Lord of Lightning
is rematchable, you just need to use
Yoshi
to unlock the entrance to his portrait. All bosses in this game are rematchable without going through a new story mode or a new game.

Again, I look at the reward being the journey, not the destination. And to me personally, the final level of the game is not the Bowser fight, it's the
singular gauntlet-style stage in Darker Side of The Moon Kingdom
, and the harder stages in the
Dark Side of The Moon Kingdom's moon pipes.
Bowser fight is very easy for me too, but when I passed it to my nephews (age 7 and 8), they end up dying a few times before figuring out that fight on their own (after much encouragement not to stop trying from me). Sometimes, we forget there's a whole other audience for this game, and making it challenging for them only discourages them to soldier through. I mean, as an adult, I welcome challenges, I've died through that
Banzai Bill reverse chase moon mission
in
Dark Side of The Moon Kingdom
enough times to cut my coin numbers in half before figuring out the pattern myself, but I don't see my two nephews going through that without giving up and never go through a Mario game again. :p

To each his own I guess. I appreciate the way the game ramps up the difficulty slowly, enough for the new players to Mario to enjoy them, and for those looking for hardcore challenges, there's always the last two secret Kingdoms to unlock at 250 and 500 moons respectively.

ehead

I just started exploring Snow Kingdom. Aren’t those inhabitants the cutest characters in a Mario game? I’d like a plush of that. Or a stress ball.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

It is not super super pleasing in some parts, but others such as the bloom and atmospheric fog actually make it endearing. Still, the gameplay in that level is like a blossoming flower... the more time elapsed the more things you see and abilities you can get to explore the existing world under a new perspective. Amazing amazing 3D Mario.

zeioIIDX

Assist mode is great. My daughter has really been enjoying the game a lot more. She’s even finding things I haven’t found in my file. Great game.

Well done nintendo.

Ditto, my daughter found a handful of moons I never found and that's with me already sitting at 644 on my file. She also continues to find more efficient ways to access areas and complete trial runs which blows my mind because I realize that I sometimes end up doing things the hard way such as rolling down hills to collect music notes when really all I had to do is run. She'll complete stuff without dying once whereas I'll have died multiple times on the same thing due to my method.

She's already beaten the game and
Dark Side
with minimal coaching/advice from me for some areas and bosses. Assist Mode is great and the two player mode has been a blast and nice for her morale and confidence. She loves giving me a high five after we beat a boss together or collect a difficult to obtain moon

But that festival was awesome!
Oh definitely, but I attributed it to Donkey Kong nostalgia more than anything. Oh, and the music of course!

I thought that was the most fun level in terms of style something so different and out of the box.
Again, I enjoyed it very much, but I still think it's ugly for the reasons I previously stated. The framerate and resolution probably made it worse for me as well. Set side-to-side with something like the Luncheon Kingdom, it just doesn't look as good.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
This. I thought it looked terrible and ridiculous. Then I played it. Turned out to be so much fun. Then the ending I could stop smiling.

I love this game. I did wish for more challenging platforming. The end game is delivering there though.

Xdrive05

Has there been any talk of DLC? I’d love to see a DLC kingdom or two, or more of the challenging moons or something like that.

Or even an “Odyssey 2” kind of like Galaxy 2 where there was mostly just an expansion on the mechanics / concept strung out into another game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This. I thought it looked terrible and ridiculous. Then I played it. Turned out to be so much fun. Then the ending I could stop smiling.

I love this game. I did wish for more challenging platforming. The end game is delivering there though.

You want compelling platforming? Strong together two or more consecutive “throw cap, dice towards it, jump on cap, throw cap, ...” series of jumps and see the different routes it can take you ;).

Seriously though, I cannot believe how much fun I am having with this game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Has there been any talk of DLC? I’d love to see a DLC kingdom or two, or more of the challenging moons or something like that.

Or even an “Odyssey 2” kind of like Galaxy 2 where there was mostly just an expansion on the mechanics / concept strung out into another game.

I hope we get a Galaxy 2 style sequel or plenty of DLC, I have not beaten it fully yet, but I know I will want more ;).

Pila

Hurray for posting pics in endgame worlds with endgame costumes I still had to see. :(

It's not like we have a spoiler tag or something, amirite...

If you guys post pics of the superduper level at the end I'm commiting sudoku.

tassletine

Not only that, but it has an easy mode as well! Barely any of the levels are harder than the first world in Super Mario Bros.

I hope we get a Galaxy 2 style sequel or plenty of DLC, I have not beaten it fully yet, but I know I will want more ;).
Regarding the possibility of future additional content, there's something interesting about the "compartment like" design of some portions of games like Breath of the Wild and Odyssey. In the case of the former it's related to the modular design of Shrines and in the later the Challenge Rooms.

Is a positive for developers in the sense that it's a clever design sortcut but it also benefits the prospects of DLC as it takes less resources to make content of good quality. These spaces been isoleted from level and not neccesarily require to be thematically and geographically alined with it means changing it's layout for new content is faster.

In the end is up to Nintendo if they want to offer more advanced Shrines or Challenge Rooms. Resource and time wise there's not much of an obstacle.

Top Bottom