• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid really is one hell of a game

oni-link

giphy.gif

I've wanted to play Super Metroid for a while now, but being based in the EU (well, England) means you're pretty much forced to play a shoddy version. The Wii U eShop version is 50Hz and amazingly has forced subtitles (though you can pick from French or German, you just can't turn them off)

Nintendo's half arsed attitude to supporting it's Virtual Console aside, the game doesn't seem to play or sound too bad to me (though this is the only way I have ever experienced it)

The game really does feel ahead of it's time, and visually I feel it's a lot more impressive than some of Nintendo's other SNES masterpieces, it's amazing to me how well designed this game is. So far I've not really needed to use a guide (though my girlfriend has been watching me play and she's noticed a lot of bombable walls that I'd missed)

The only parts I'm not too fond of are the bosses, but thanks to the save states I just save outside the boss room and that's enough to stop them becoming frustrating. It's not that they're too hard (so far anyway) it's more that it's impossible to work out how to beat them without taking a ton of damage or dying

I think I'm pretty close to the end of the game as I only have a few slots left for more equipment upgrades (The last two I picked up were the Wave Beam and X Ray scanner) but I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I have beaten Metroid Prime before, but it was a decade ago and I used a guide for a lot of it, but it's making me want to replay it so I can compare it with Super Metroid

It really is a shame Nintendo don't let an internal team make another 2D game

I'll try Metroid Zero Mission and Fusion at some point too, hopefully they have decent eShop versions. How do they compare to Super Metroid, and which one should I play first?

Dunkley

Kill the animals, save the frames.

I have to say one thing that still blows my mind about Super Metroid is just how polished it feels if that makes any sense. The enviroments are so well crafted, the graphics look like they are pushing the hardware and due to the way how Samus moves around in it the game is still a ton of fun to play even after so long.

I mean that's my impression, maybe there are games even better in perceived quality than Super Metroid.

nkarafo

Fusion and Zero Mission are OK but not as good. Best Metroid experiences are Super and Prime. AMR2 is also pretty good.

Avoid OtherM

BigEmil

It's the best Metroid game. Everything else in the franchise is subpar compared to this masterpiece!

Syril

I'll try Metroid Zero and Fusion at some point too, hopefully they have decent eShop versions. How do they compare to Super Metroid, and which one should I play first?
Fusion and Zero Mission aren't quite up to Super Metroid's level design standard, but they're both solid. Fusion is more story-heavy and overtly guided, while Zero Mission is closer to Super Metroid's structure.

Fat4all

Banned
Fusion and Zero Mission are OK but not as good. Best Metroid experiences are Super and Prime. AMR2 is also pretty good.

Fusion's best asset is the feeling of being hunted through parts of the game, but it lacks the larger, more interesting encounters Super has.

BriGuy

I don't think it's aged particularly well. Still a solid game, but I think it's been surpassed by numerous Metroidvanias since (I played it in 1994 and again most recently when it released on the n3DS).

Forkball

I'm playing through Zero Mission now and while it's good... it's no Super Metroid. The pacing and challenge of the game is superb. You get lost, yeah, but it's never to the point where you feel like you've got no idea what to do next. Though Zero Mission and Super Metroid do share a glass tube you have to blow up with practically no indication whatsoever. I don't see how people would've figured it out in Zero Mission if they didn't play Super Metroid first.

oni-link

I don't think it's aged particularly well. Still a solid game, but I think it's been surpassed by numerous Metroidvanias since (I played it in 1994 and again most recently when it released on the n3DS).

Really? It's aged really well in my opinion

What Metroidvanias would you say have surpassed it?

RowdyReverb

Prime is at least as good.
Has Prime aged as gracefully though?
I must disagree. Played the game for the first time only recently and after playing several Metroidvanias that came after it. I thought it aged very well, aside from the occasional obtuse logic points
specifically the tube you have to smart bomb

Kurt

Still my nr 1 game.

The backgrounds & music and isolation gives you something to remember for years and years.

Cikay

I played and finished it for the first time some months ago, when it was release on N3DS.

I was so surprised that the gameplay was funnier and more responsive than a lot of recent games. It hasn't aged at all.

I don't understand how I have been missing this game all these years. Shame on me.

The N3DS version is 60Hz in Europe (it's the NTSC-U version) according to the eShop (didn't buy it yet, can't confirm).

I recommend anyone in the EU to go straight for the N3DS version. The 50Hz version REALLY, REALLY sucks.

What is this kill the animals/save the animals joke people are making?

I played Super Metroid for the first time on the N3DS this year end enjoyed it. I prefer Prime though.

hishoax

Neo Member
I know some users are telling you to avoid Other M, but I don't think you should skip it if you get the chance to play it. It has some flaws but the boss fights, general action and controls in the game are pretty good.

Just skip the cutscenes.

trixx

Prime is good but there are some issues with prime. Like enemy respawning in rooms make it very annoying to backtrack. I had a few other gripes.Prime is really good though but I don't think it's better than Super Metroid

I actually really enjoyed Metroid Fusion; it's linear but really well structured game. The bosses were hard as heck though. Overall Super is the best, beating it without a guide was rough so I don't blame you for using one. It feels good to beat the Metroid games with no guide on first run though.

nkarafo

I know some users are telling you to avoid Other M, but I don't think you should skip it if you get the chance to play it. It has some flaws but the boss fights, general action and controls in the game are pretty good.

Just skip the cutscenes.
You can't on your first playthrough.

Rambler

I don't give a shit about lore. I like Metroid for Samus.

Samus is the most fun to control in Super so Super is the best Metroid game.

nkarafo

Prime is good but there are some issues with prime. Like enemy respawning in rooms make it very annoying to backtrack. I had a few other gripes.Prime is really good though but I don't think it's better than Super Metroid
Enemy respawining is like... in every Metroid game.

Boney

Banned
I don't wanna live in a planet where Fusion and Zero Mission are considered just "ok"

What is this kill the animals/save the animals joke people are making?

I played Super Metroid for the first time on the N3DS this year end enjoyed it. I prefer Prime though.
when escaping zebes, you can take a slight detour to save the animals that "teach" you about wall jumping and shine alarm.

trixx

Enemy respawining is like... in every Metroid game.

yeah but in the 2d games its extremely easy to pass, and often doors will not be locked. In prime it just gets on my nerves for some reason. Not too sure if it is because Samus is rather slow, the environments being too big, locked doors or whatever. But it takes a hell of a lot longer to backtrack. Game requires a lot of patience

Space Pirates were a pain in the ass generally speaking along with the metroids

televator

Prime is good but there are some issues with prime. Like enemy respawning in rooms make it very annoying to backtrack. I had a few other gripes.Prime is really good though but I don't think it's better than Super Metroid.

...but Super Metroid... Every Metroid game has respawning enemies.

Holden

yeah but in the 2d games its extremely easy to pass, and often doors will not be locked. In prime it just gets on my nerves for some reason. Not too sure if it is because Samus is rather slow, the environments being too big, locked doors or whatever. But it takes a hell of a lot longer to backtrack. Game requires a lot of patience

its a mix of locked doors, beefy HP and requiring visors to kill the enemy faster.

Haganeren

It's funny how i can see the guys who said Other M is bad even if nobody asked for this particular game seems to be the sames each time... Makes me remember faces on GAF little by little.

I'm also quite curious about that, i don't see another Metroidvanias where the impression of being lost is that good personally. Even metroid Prime want you to know where the next boss is. (Zero Mission too) Even Castlevanias are... A lot more linear isn't they ?

The only game which emulated that to me recently is King's Field 2... Other than that, Metroidvanias are more about ennemies and getting new skills than getting lost for me.... Which is a shame.

nkarafo

Fair enough.

Worst were these ghosts with their own loud music.

To be honest, not saving the animals isn't that big of a deal considering they canonically live as shown in Metroid Fusion.

hqdefault.jpg

Play Fusion next, then Zero Mission after that. Zero Mission is a very traditional Metroid just like Super Metroid, whereas Fusion changes the formula up a bit. If you play Zero Mission and Super Metroid back to back you might feel burnt out on their style of progression.

Both are excellent games, though, so as long as you do play both of them at some point you can't go truly wrong either way.

cireza

Super Metroid has all the merits of raising the bar for the series, and creating many elements that became the norm.

However, my preference goes to Fusion :)

Top Bottom