• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Metroid really is one hell of a game

Nzyme32

Certainly on of the best games / my favourite.

Amazing atmosphere, art style, sound design, ambient music, gameplay, creatures, weapons, exploration.

Just wish there was more. Prime was a great move of translating that into a 3D FPS style game, but even that stopped.

digdug2k

Fusion and Zero Mission are OK but not as good. Best Metroid experiences are Super and Prime. AMR2 is also pretty good.

Avoid OtherM
Yeah, I was going to say, Prime made me feel this same way when I played it last year. I forgot just how great it was.

kunonabi

Yeah, Super Metroid is still amazing.

Sadly Zero Mission and Fusion are both pretty awful compared to Super. I honestly don't find Zero Mission to be worthwhile in any capacity.

GenG3000

On top of the graphics, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the flow, the level and sound design, the soundtrack, the silent storytelling...

When subsequent playthroughs with walljump and bomb jumping feel like playing infinite sequels to the game...

That's when everything came together. There is no game - not even another Metroid - like this one. Is in a completely different level.

balohna

Yeah, Super Metroid is still amazing.

Sadly Zero Mission and Fusion are both pretty awful compared to Super. I honestly don't find Zero Mission to be worthwhile in any capacity.

Yeah, I like Fusion and Zero Mission but they don't quite stack up. I wouldn't say awful, but I don't get the love some people have for Zero Mission. People give Fusion shit for linearity, but Zero Mission also told you where to go next. I hear it has cool sequence breaking stuff, though. I give Fusion a lot of credit for being really different and actually pulling it off quite well. More of a pure action game, but a good one. The SA-X sequences were intense, and it probably has the best boss fights of any 2D Metroid.

Axiom Verge is also worth playing for any Metroid fan. I expected a Super Metroid clone, but it's actually quite unique in a lot of ways. Like an evolution more than just an homage. Most notably, most of the power ups and weapons are nothing like anything in Metroid.

KarmaCow

Yeah, I like Fusion and Zero Mission but they don't quite stack up. I wouldn't say awful, but I don't get the love some people have for Zero Mission. People give Fusion shit for linearity, but Zero Mission also told you where to go next. I hear it has cool sequence breaking stuff, though. I give Fusion a lot of credit for being really different and actually pulling it off quite well. More of a pure action game, but a good one. The SA-X sequences were intense, and it probably has the best boss fights of any 2D Metroid.

You can ignore all the chozo statues that tell you where to go except for the first one and even then you don't need to go where it says to go. Try playing a low percent run (ie skipping upgrades like the Varia Suit or Long Beam) to see how flexible and free form the progression is in the game.

Boney

Banned
Zero Mission chozo statues and Prime's hint system are pretty much the same. Only exception is that you turn it off in prime via a menu while zero mission involves mastery.

So while you can turn it off in prime for your first play through, you're only going to cause yourself a headache due to how slow you move around the map that's horizontally spread out.

ReyVGM

9PKxAZk.png

oni-link

I played a little more tonight and now I'm actually stuck

Also fuck quicksand, I'm still not even sure how the hell I'm meant to get out of it, button mashing had to suffice

Also from this thread I've discovered that
I need to return to that pipe so I can super bomb it

-shadow-

I'll try Metroid Zero Mission and Fusion at some point too, hopefully they have decent eShop versions. How do they compare to Super Metroid, and which one should I play first?

They're both good games, but way more streamlined and linear, though you can go your own path in both up to a certain extend. And they're both GBA games, so no worries about 50Hz stuff and weird emulation hick ups because of it.

oni-link

I beat the game last night, took me 13 hours as I got stuck a little, and I actually did have to use a guide to find Ridley in lower Norfair

The end boss wasn't too hard though, and I really liked the way the game concluded the story

It's such a great game

Top Bottom