• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi vewlix hori are awesome, wish they were affordable enough for me right now. Even the rapv here in Brazil increased in price, so I'm holding off to see what I do. I may build a acrylic one in parallel to modding this mad catz, but even doing so would be expensive as I will probably have to buy the Brook universal board anyway.

They are both awesome, but this custom is outstanding. I see the resemblance to the mad catz line (very similar to mine). How do people do these push button with art inside? Haven't found any tutorial on it yet, but it may be very stressful and draining to do so
My criteria for buying a stick is "does it have a good case?" and... that's about it. Everything else can be swapped and customized. So, investing into a VLX made sense since I knew the body would last forever.

The button part itself and the shell are two separate pieces that can be separated. If the button is made of clear plastic, you can pull apart the button, insert your art, and then put it back into the shell. You also have to remove the buttons in this way if you wish to put dampeners into the buttons (to quiet down your noisy tapping).

DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi vewlix hori are awesome, wish they were affordable enough for me right now. Even the rapv here in Brazil increased in price, so I'm holding off to see what I do. I may build a acrylic one in parallel to modding this mad catz, but even doing so would be expensive as I will probably have to buy the Brook universal board anyway.

They are both awesome, but this custom is outstanding. I see the resemblance to the mad catz line (very similar to mine). How do people do these push button with art inside? Haven't found any tutorial on it yet, but it may be very stressful and draining to do so

Thanks, unfortunately, the picture doesn't do the paint job justice. The purple and the pink are marbled metallic and it looks wicked in natural sunlight. The builder is Sam at b15sdmdesigns. This was one of his earlier builds. In the following years his work went batshit crazy good. Incredibly talented dude. The stick weighs a ton but it feels so good on the lap and doesn't budge.

BrettWeir

This brings back good memories. I used to be a stick maker on SRK before the TE was released. Here are a few I made for people. The last pic is my trusty TE modded with an Arthong plexi, homage to Virtua Stick High Grade and Namco combo. Love the carbon fiber mesh ball top.

hvp3bdk.jpg

EEsHIv9.jpg

aDjq4DY.jpg

DKhkZJF.jpg
J7WQBmK.jpg

LO1P2I3.jpg

yF5psuM.jpg

Last edited:

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi I'll keep in mind when my sanwa push buttons arrive. I'm going for a blast city direction on the mad catz, but the acrylic will be full translucid for the buttons and balltop

Thing on a Spring Thing on a Spring I think he posted in some threads here. It is not feasible for me to buy cases from abroad, but here there are some good companies that also build arcade sticks (and even restore candy cabinets), Efighters and 2nd Impact. Some people from us and eur even import their cases because they also have their distinctive style.

B Brewwtus what to say?

tenor.gif

That'' hot💥

Anyway, i opted for this design:

unknown.png

It was this one but I felt it would be awkward to explain the mental script i had when conceived it. Nicolas Cage summons you to the earth surface, just like Beerus on Super Dragon Ball, and with a disapproving face asks you "Why do you keep trying" because I am a terrible fighting player LOL. word art: "Why do you keep trying?"

unknown.png

Last edited:
Any ex-SRK members remember Broken English? He built amazing acrylic case sticks. I remember a wicked Zangief themed one he made but then he seemed to have disappeared around 2010ish.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Reached a new level of tinkering today, pretty proud of myself. I have a Mad Catz TES+ stick for PS4. Last week I got a Rasperry Pi 3 to play arcade games, and wanted to use my stick on it. Turned out that each time I press up on the stick, the up direction gets stuck for a bit. I first thought it must be a Retropie driver issue.

For some reason, I decided to try the stick on PS4. Same thing! Pressing up would in a menu would progress six items. Shit! A broken stick from a company that doesn’t exist.

After some googling I found out that the TES sticks have a diode for each input, and the diodes tend to break down, causing stuck inputs. But supposedly you can just desolder the diode and the button will work fine again. So off to get a cheap £10 soldering iron.

After numerous YouTube videos, I manned up and opened the stick. The input board can be seen lifted out.

19dbf231-304f-47b0-9zvjvu.jpeg

With some precision desoldering, I just burned the area around the offending diode D9 until the diode disappeared... somewhere?

c84e831f-44ce-4075-b8fjss.jpeg

Great success! £200 stick resurrected, and no need to buy a UFB either. Happily playing Legend of Hero Tonma, a game from my childhood GAF identified for me ten years ago. Amazing game for an arcade stick, and hard as nails!

7fec04a5-0d42-45bf-bjvkfv.jpeg

Thought I’d share this in case anyone else has a broken TES stick - or finds one on the cheap.

Tarin02543

Hello, I'm fairly new to the stick scene as my only one I have right now is the fighting stick mini 4 (Hori).

I want a serious upgrade now. I've read Qanba is rated highly, would you guys recommend this brand to me as a beginner?

UncleMeat

Hello, I'm fairly new to the stick scene as my only one I have right now is the fighting stick mini 4 (Hori).

I want a serious upgrade now. I've read Qanba is rated highly, would you guys recommend this brand to me as a beginner?

I've only been on stick a couple years but ya I've heard good things about Qanba, my friend has a Qanba Obsidian and loves it. Basically anything with the Sanwa parts like Qanba or Razer is the standard (although I think Razer is using their own buttons now on the newer panthera evo). I like my hori rap 4 too with hori parts, the stick is a smidge less tight than the Sanwa stick on my Panthera but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
cool i think i used that pcb in there to mod my own neogeo aes stick to usb adapter :pie_roffles:
used an old DB15 female and rewired it to to the pcb to make it work.

what is up with those left 3 buttons tho
love the wire job.
not sure on the case tho. I can hook you up with some bending tuts for plexiglass/ acrylic 90 angles are pretty safe, only dangerous part is bending and heating to hot and fast so you get bubbles

Last edited:

Huggers

cool i think i used that pcb in there to mod my own neogeo aes stick to usb adapter :pie_roffles:
used an old DB15 female and rewired it to to the pcb to make it work.

what is up with those left 3 buttons tho
love the wire job.
not sure on the case tho. I can hook you up with some bending tuts for plexiglass/ acrylic 90 angles are pretty safe, only dangerous part is bending and heating to hot and fast so you get bubbles

The three left buttons are for L3/R3 and touchpad should they need to be wired. I tend not to use them but the option is there. I love the case, it's the new gen BNB from Focus Attack.

anzhar

I haven't the time to game these days. But I stil have a PS3 connected to my main TV.

I decided to dust off and charge my 2 sticks of choice this week. Both wireless six axis.

My shmups stick is the OG and my fighters stick is the diamond.

VMScohw.jpg

Also. I got the OG versions to these which don't get used as I have custom TEs with PSone dualshock PCBs.

Here are the OGs

lRFL1WI.jpg

I still have a full set of OG TE sticks. Minus the Soul editions as they looked terrible.

Last edited:

GenericUser

So not used my stick (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NHDSINS/) for a while and went to play some Tekken 7 games and the Start Button is pressed in completely, I can't decide if I wanna open it up or treat myself to a new one for Tekken 8 and SF6
Sticks for fighting games are becoming more and more obsolete. Many pros (at least in the tekken scene, which I follow) repeatedly said that they are only using them, because they are used to them and grew up with them in the arcades. You'll see a lot of new players that prefer pads or hitbox-like controllers.
I was looking for a good fighting game pad for PS5 and I was really disappointed with whats available. The default dualsense controller is an impertinence.

Last edited:

SCB3

Sticks for fighting games are becoming more and more obsolete. Many pros (at least in the tekken scene, which I follow) repeatedly said that they are only using them, because they are used to them and grew up with them in the arcades. You'll see a lot of new players that prefer pads or hitbox-like controllers.
I was looking for a good fighting game pad for PS5 and I was really disappointed with whats available. The default dualsense controller is an impertinence.
Yea I was thinking of sticking to just controller as well, pros and cons

GenericUser

Yea I was thinking of sticking to just controller as well, pros and cons
hitbox controllers more or less combine the best of both worlds, at least for fighting games. But they are also pretty expensive and some consider them "cheating".
Why_Hit_Box_Corrected_3fe9466b-e5ea-4b53-9f85-d19fab1218c4_600x600.png

If I had a capable PC, I'd definitely get a hitbox controller for tekken. I'm planning to get a tekken 8 capable PC once tekken 8 comes out and I'll probably make the switch to hitbox then. The hitbox controllers on PC only cost like 33% of their console counterparts.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I bought a HRAP controller for PS4 and never liked the feel of the buttons and never really got into fighting games that gen anyway. I'm thinking of swapping out the buttons for Sanwa and maybe playing a bit of Soul Calibur or SF6 when it comes out. I'll never be a pro and am old anyway so hitbox is totally off the table for me.

anzhar

The feedback from the lever and buttons is just so pleasing, if your a pad user, it will take you about a month to adjust to a stick, but you will love it, so much more fun.

Lasha

I'm a seasoned player who is seriously considering a switch to hitbox. A few sessions were all I needed to understand the potential of an all button controller. unlearning your muscle memory is the biggest barrier. I'm waiting for one with PS5 compatibility before eating the shipping or building a box.

GenericUser

I'm a seasoned player who is seriously considering a switch to hitbox. A few sessions were all I needed to understand the potential of an all button controller. unlearning your muscle memory is the biggest barrier. I'm waiting for one with PS5 compatibility before eating the shipping or building a box.
I agree. The learning curve seems to be the biggest barrier. I guess it's awkward that you have to press buttons instead of pushing a lever or the dpad into a specific direction. It fucks with your gaming brain. But it seems to be worth it. As I said, I'll probably switch to hitbox, but not on console. I don't want to spend 300 monies on a hitbox controller that I can't use on the PS6.

Top Bottom