• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super pretty SUPER FAMICOM coffee table book announced

Finally received the Genesis/Mega Drive book and it is gorgeous. I'm not a fan of the sans-serif font, but the breadth of information is great. I wish they'd do a Super Nintendo/Famicon book in this style as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Anyone who ordered from Book Depository get their copy yet? Considering Memorial Day delayed shipment, guessing mine will probably arrive tomorrow or so. Been a week since it shipped, so hoping to see it soon.

Bii

Anyone who ordered from Book Depository get their copy yet? Considering Memorial Day delayed shipment, guessing mine will probably arrive tomorrow or so. Been a week since it shipped, so hoping to see it soon.

I ordered on 5/22.
It shipped out on 5/24.
And I received it today, 5/31.
I'm in California.

Book had a slight crease at one of the top corners of the hardcover but nothing I'm too concerned about. Going to dig through the book this weekend.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Mine shipped the same day, so guess it should be arriving soon, though I'm in MI.

Got so many other gaming-related books (Persona 4 artbook, that Genesis Collected Works, some Hardcore Gaming 101 stuff, etc.) I need to finish, maybe it'd be a good idea to finish at least ONE of them before these other books arrive.

Makeda

I got mine a few days ago from Bitmap Books the book itself is beautiful! The only downside to the whole thing is the lack of a resealable plastic cover over the book (it's just in shrink wrap) & the fact that Bitmap suck at shipping.

My box was heavily dented on one side thanks to the woefully inadequate shipping protection.
Normally I'd consider this not an issue, but when their communication was dreadful regarding the ship date (didn't even receive a shipping email ffs) as well as the fact that I had to pay extra for international shipping I honestly can say I'm disappointed by Bitmap & won't be ordering from them again... soured an otherwise fantastic product.

dgco86

I got mine a few days ago from Bitmap Books the book itself is beautiful! The only downside to the whole thing is the lack of a resealable plastic cover over the book (it's just in shrink wrap) & the fact that Bitmap suck at shipping.

My box was heavily dented on one side thanks to the woefully inadequate shipping protection.
Normally I'd consider this not an issue, but when their communication was dreadful regarding the ship date (didn't even receive a shipping email ffs) as well as the fact that I had to pay extra for international shipping I honestly can say I'm disappointed by Bitmap & won't be ordering from them again... soured an otherwise fantastic product.

I'm pretty unhappy about their shipping too. My CE arrived with dents and creases on the outer box. Sent them an email about it so I hope to hear from them soon.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Cool, got my books in the mail today, came in great condition.

Also, if you guys are interested, there's another thread about the same company kickstarting a NES/Famicom visual compendium. It's already been funded, so now stretch goals are adding more pages to the book.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It was the cardboard packaging normally used for books. But the size of the books meant they were packed pretty tightly so not a lot of room to shake around & such.

somato

I ordered one of these a week or two ago and received it yesterday. Interesting to see I am not alone with shipping issues. On my book the lower back corner has some crush damage. It's not much, but definitely left me a bit disappointed. I also ordered a C64 book which came with a dent in the top of the slipcase; another case of minor shipping damage. :(

galvatron

I ordered one of these a week or two ago and received it yesterday. Interesting to see I am not alone with shipping issues. On my book the lower back corner has some crush damage. It's not much, but definitely left me a bit disappointed. I also ordered a C64 book which came with a dent in the top of the slipcase; another case of minor shipping damage. :(

Same damage on mine when it arrived.

Its funny. Coming from the thread about liquidating our stock of old games...I think this is exactly what I want. I want the memories of my old games. But, seeing the design, the stories, and more easily accessible seems more alluring than starting every game I can think of from scratch, over and over. I need both snes and Sega books...

Plumpman

Bought, looks beautiful. Thanks!

Make sure you buy straight from Book Depositories website, its cost me $25 all told rather than $45 from Amazon.

Glix

My book arrived, in New York. I did not get ANY kind of confirmation or shipping info. The only thing I got was a confirm when I placed the order on 5/18. I got the special edition.

Now my issue is if I should bolt to Long Island after work to pick it up or play Mirror's Edge. Brutal!

Makeda

Dents and rips in the box. :(

Should have just bought the fucking standard edition. Shit.

Did you order from Bitmap Books as well?
I got several dents but thankfully no rips, think of it this way.... the box probably saved the book itself from getting destroyed :/

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm about halfway through the book now & for the most part, it's really neat, especially discovering games I haven't heard of. Makes me want to read their NES Visual Compendium that's being kickstarted.

My only nitpicks are when a game got an US release, but sometimes, they don't mention the name (I saw the JPN version of Pocky & Rocky, but no mention of the fact it came to the US) & yeah, some of those typos became really obvious later on (King of the Monsters 2 had a name error, "Atomic Guy....becomes Atomic Guy", and Mortal Kombat 2 had a very noticeable one).

Giever

So, I just got this as a birthday gift, and it seems pretty great, but I had to stop at one part of the introduction. Some folks who did some illustration for the book, said this:

We chose to illustrate Chrono Trigger because it had such an influence on our youth. I think I was too young to understand such a masterpiece at that age, but we love JRPGs and in particular I love Chrono Trigger, perhaps the most beautiful JRPG of all time. Yoshitaka Amano is a great illustrator; the box art for the Super Famicom version is just gorgeous.

wdFucl7.png

Yes, I also loved his work on the Dragon Quest and Blue Dragon series.

Link_enfant

So, I just got this as a birthday gift, and it seems pretty great, but I had to stop at one part of the introduction. Some folks who did some illustration for the book, said this:

wdFucl7.png

Yes, I also loved his work on the Dragon Quest and Blue Dragon series.

This need to be patched.
Oh wait :(

Top Bottom