• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super pretty SUPER FAMICOM coffee table book announced

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
it's -33% on book depository w/ free shipping, just ordered one.
Holy crap, $24.09. & this is the link, right?

HUGE thanks, shipping internationally takes a toll on getting these neat gaming books. Looks like they have some of Bitmap Books' other stuff, mainly the visual compendiums. Anyone wanna vouch for those? I'd love to learn more about the older gaming computers like the Commodore 64 & Amiga.

Can vouch this is a really cool book as well. Absolutely worth it for any Sega or Genesis/Mega Drive fan. I loved learning about the process of marketing the system and such.

Seems like the UK has all the neat game books.

Edit: The site kept declining my card, but was able to place my order for the Super Famicom book & Generation 64 (history book on Commodore 64) via Paypal. Can't wait to check them out.

I bought both the Super Famicom (received it yesterday) and the Mega Drive Collected and both are excellent books. Definitely recommended.

Tizoc

My sincerest apologies to the GAFfer who tried to bid for a copy of the NES book on ebay :X

although a 2 week-ish shipping time is lame.

AmyS

I mean.... look at this:

mockup-cover_1024x1024.jpg

Wonderful. Will make a great companion to this.

Screen-Shot-2014-08-08-at-12.02.01-PM.png

Got my collector's edition in the week. First thing I noticed...a typo in the very first line of the blurb on the back of the box ("an" instead of "fan"). Slightly spoils the beautiful artwork...

Dakushi

Neo Member
Got my copy of the standard edition 4 days ago or so, preordered it the day they opened up for preorders. Also this, from their may newsletter, which I recieved on the 14th:

"Apologies for our mistake where we accidentally marked the orders as 'shipped' a couple of weeks ago. Rest assured, all the books will be shipped over the coming days. if you pre-order now, your order will also be shipped this week.".

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Umm shipping and handling would be GBP 15, is there any way to cut that down?
Waaay back when you could pre-order, they did a discount for shipping, but otherwise, I think that's the only place you can get the book unless you wanna try places like eBay. I haven't seen it listed on Amazon or that Book Depository place.

I saved some money by having it get sent to my friend in EU who was coming to the US, though some stuff happened & I had to wait a good year or so before finally getting it, but it was still in great condition after all that time I had to wait.

This is why I'm so glad I can get most, if not all the books I want from Bitmap Books via Book Depository, because having to import most of my gaming books from the UK seriously adds up. Even had to order directly from Pix 'n Love at one point because holy crap History of Nintendo vol. 2 is either super expensive or hard to find directly from an US source.

Tizoc

Waaay back when you could pre-order, they did a discount for shipping, but otherwise, I think that's the only place you can get the book unless you wanna try places like eBay. I haven't seen it listed on Amazon or that Book Depository place.

I saved some money by having it get sent to my friend in EU who was coming to the US, though some stuff happened & I had to wait a good year or so before finally getting it, but it was still in great condition after all that time I had to wait.

This is why I'm so glad I can get most, if not all the books I want from Bitmap Books via Book Depository, because having to import most of my gaming books from the UK seriously adds up. Even had to order directly from Pix 'n Love at one point because holy crap History of Nintendo vol. 2 is either super expensive or hard to find directly from an US source.
Ah well ill go ahead and order it soon
Thing is gbp 50 for 1 book costs more than my last instocktrades order wherein i got 4 books xp

Tizoc

Oh fuck me
I swapped the billing and shipping addresses fuck me.

Hope they can refund the transaction soon =_=

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ah well ill go ahead and order it soon
Thing is gbp 50 for 1 book costs more than my last instocktrades order wherein i got 4 books xp
Yeah, it's a shame, because I try to check all over the place before buying directly from a company if I have to deal with importing because shipping just kills it being over $10+. Either places like Amazon sold out or the company that printed the book didn't send it out to be made available through most other means (I recall the book was a kickstarter, so maybe that was part of the reason).

It's part of the reason why I held off on getting Bitmap Books' stuff, because until now, I couldn't find their books on US sites or a place that offered cheap or free shipping.

Type_Raver

Will it have screenshots, concept art and any other special features?

Looks cool, but based on the images so far it only contains box arts and a blurb of the game.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Will it have screenshots, concept art and any other special features?

Looks cool, but based on the images so far it only contains box arts and a blurb of the game.
There seems to be interviews from other collectors, but yes, the main focus of the book is about different Super Famicom box arts and critiquing them with a brief mention about the game itself.

Apparently one of my parents misplaced the package or something, LOL.

BEAUTIFUL book! So glad they included my favorite (the Kirby Super Star paulownia wood one), and I found myself wanting to play a lot of stuff I never heard of before. I did notice a lot of typos and grammatical errors, though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn, placed my order on Book Depository about 4 days ago, said it'd be "dispatched from the UK in 2 business days" (now it says one), it's still in the "processing" stage.

Maybe it'll finally ship today considering I ordered early Friday morning.

IrishNinja

damn, how'd i miss this?

Holy crap, $24.09. & this is the link, right?

HUGE thanks, shipping internationally takes a toll on getting these neat gaming books. Looks like they have some of Bitmap Books' other stuff, mainly the visual compendiums. Anyone wanna vouch for those? I'd love to learn more about the older gaming computers like the Commodore 64 & Amiga.

yoooooo
broke as fuck, but $24 shipped?! can't beat that!

god, i love that book too

Tizoc

damn, how'd i miss this?

yoooooo
broke as fuck, but $24 shipped?! can't beat that!

god, i love that book too
How long does it take readonlymemory to fulfill orders? I emailed them yesterday regarding my order but they hadnt replied yet ToT
Yeah i know it is only a day now but i really needs dat book

Fjordson

Damn, placed my order on Book Depository about 4 days ago, said it'd be "dispatched from the UK in 2 business days" (now it says one), it's still in the "processing" stage.

Maybe it'll finally ship today considering I ordered early Friday morning.
I ordered on Friday and mine shipped at like 2 AM this morning my time (PST).

How long does it take readonlymemory to fulfill orders? I emailed them yesterday regarding my order but they hadnt replied yet ToT
Yeah i know it is only a day now but i really needs dat book

I ordered both books (SFC book from bitmap books, and Genesis book from Read Only Memory). The SFC book was shipped and arrived the next day. 6 days later still no word about the Genesis book. I guess they are actually unable to tell you when it's dispatched, which is frankly a bit of an odd restriction to have in 2016...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I ordered on Friday and mine shipped at like 2 AM this morning my time (PST).
Just woke up to find out they shipped out both books (separately for some reason) around 7:30 & then 8:30 AM Eastern for me. So guessing around Saturday or Monday for me.

I guess I should ask, has anyone read the visual compendiums from Bitmap Books? I've been thinking of getting those because I'd really like to learn more about the older gaming PCs like the Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum, Amiga, etc. & those seem like a good way to see the more popular games for the system.

Midas

What the hell?

I got the hardcover, but didn’t come in the box.

Same thing here, let me know what they say if you contact them. I just shrugged when I opened the box, should probably e-mail them and complain but can't be bothered. :/

Hobbun

Same thing here, let me know what they say if you contact them. I just shrugged when I opened the box, should probably e-mail them and complain but can't be bothered. :/

Just sent them an email. Will let you know what I find out.

Hobbun

What box? Are you sure you're not confusing it with the Collector's Edition? That one came in a box. The standard version didn't.

My understanding was the Collector's edition was available to anyone who had preordered the book. After it was released, it would be the standard version. When I ordered, it had still not been released.

My impression was the Collector's edition was available to anyone who had preordered the game. After it was released, it would be the standard version. When I ordered, it had still not been released.

No, there were two versions available for preorder. The Collector's Edition was twice the price. I didn't feel it was worth it because the only difference was you got a fancy box for it.

Hobbun

No, there were two versions available for preorder. The Collector's Edition was twice the price. I didn't feel it was worth it because the only difference was you got a fancy box for it.

Oh...Ok, that's what I did then. My own fault. So the price for the collector's edition was in the area of $100 then? I paid just over $50. I agree, not worth it in that case.

Oh...Ok, that's what I did then. My own fault. So the price for the collector's edition was in the area of $100 then? I paid just over $50. I agree, not worth it in that case.

I'm not sure what the exact conversion rate is, but the standard book was 24.99 pounds while the collector's edition was 49.99 pounds. I'm sure shipping is probably roughly the same, so maybe not quite double in the end, but close.

Hobbun

I'm not sure what the exact conversion rate is, but the standard book was 24.99 pounds while the collector's edition was 49.99 pounds. I'm sure shipping is probably roughly the same, so maybe not quite double in the end, but close.

24.99?

Mine was 35 pounds. Well, 34.99 to be more specific.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
24.99 pounds = $36.54
49.99 pounds = $73.10

Shipping was about $15 for outside the US, so yeah, would've been about $51 for the regular book, then $88 for the collector's edition.

& the collector's edition was basically a special box & a poster.

Tizoc

Just got that Famicom book.
Had no idea it had English translation in it as well!
Now the wait for the Genesis book...

Top Bottom