• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Tsukumo

Anyone doing an OT for SRWV or are we just keeping the discussion here?

It would be nice to have an OT for the game. Being in English and not being ongoing like Moon Dwellers it probably has the chance to attract more people.

Side-note: didn't buy the Premium Edition. I feel bad because this game has many things I've wished for years (Hathaway, custom soundtrack, maybe Prince of Darkness Gai) but there's just too much stuff to buy this month.

16716268_987921518006625_1547303223686509537_o.jpg

Saw this on Bandai Namco SEA's Facebook page. Still in shock it's in English.

Tsukumo

What in the fuck!
I'm reading 2chan's thread on SRW V and people are saying some Japanese Gundam fans sent hate-mail to Fukuda when his wife died.
Is this for real?

edit: for reference. Fukuda is Seed's director, Morosawa, his wife, was chief writer on both Seeds.

Shouta

The internet is scummy, it's not surprising. Morosawa caught the hate of a lot of people because of her writing so the assholes sending that shit to Fukuda isn't out there unfortunately. =/

What in the fuck!
I'm reading 2chan's thread on SRW V and people are saying some Japanese Gundam fans sent hate-mail to Fukuda when his wife died.
Is this for real?

edit: for reference. Fukuda is Seed's director, Morosawa, his wife, was chief writer on both Seeds.

That shouldn't surprise you. Shitty people live everywhere on this planet doing shitty things for shitty reasons.

What in the fuck!
Is this for real?

what the fuck, not only fucked up but also Seed consistently showed up in top 5 best Gundam series for years in Japanese polls. I thought Japanese fans loved Seed and 00.

Who are the circled mechs?

Ken

playing this after nier automata. i kinda wish i was smarter and picked up the asian version that i forgot had english but whatever.

both of them having the same release date rip :(

what the fuck, not only fucked up but also Seed consistently showed up in top 5 best Gundam series for years in Japanese polls. I thought Japanese fans loved Seed and 00.

Laevatein from FMP
ZZ Gundam
Might Gaine
black one is from nadesico

ban950084_0.jpg

Keylow415

I think they love seed but hate destiny because that show was a mess

squall23

16716268_987921518006625_1547303223686509537_o.jpg

Saw this on Bandai Namco SEA's Facebook page. Still in shock it's in English.
You know what's more shocking? There are no English trailers. Maybe they don't want people to see how badly the translation is this time around until the game releases. In which case, it's not very shocking at all. Heck, Moon Dwellers didn't just have English trailers, it also had press previews.

You know what's more shocking? There are no English trailers. Maybe they don't want people to see how badly the translation is this time around until the game releases. In which case, it's not very shocking at all. Heck, Moon Dwellers didn't just have English trailers, it also had press previews.

That isn't encouraging, but I've noticed that BN SEA doesn't seem to care about promoting anything other than fighting games lately.

Tsukumo

From 2chan

- no Opening Cg
- besides the usual character/ mech encyclopedia, the game now gives you access to a "collection" of save and quit messages, and introductions to each anime.
- the list of bgms in the regular version of the game is very short. SRW A Portable level of short. Premium has extended versions, vocal versions and additional bgms.
- Skills seem to have taken the OG approach, where instead of increasing throughout the span of the game they are set from the start.
- Again, similar to OG, seems swordcut and shield defense (?, not sure that's how they are translated in the English versions) have been removed.
- plenty of crazy cross-overs between series that have nothing to do with each other and MANY fan-fic-level of "resurrections".

edit:
Someone is streaming the srwV on twitch if anyone is interested
Edit not anymore

Interested. Who's streaming? Maybe he'll start again or I can watch his previous broadcasts.

Tsukumo

No opening CG?

What. The. Fuck.

Lame.

Personally I'd rather they spend money to produce additional features, like this time with the introductions to every anime and the save&quit messages collection, than CG movies. CG intros still have insane costs and now that they have to scrap every penny out of people's wallets to survive (like with the Premium Editions) custom soundtracks and no CG are IMO a good bargain to keep the output of SRW games as steady as it has been in these last years.
I mean, you look at the amount of effort they put into the Masoukishin saga and you can see they really tried to make it work: tons of voice actors, animations, long campaigns.
I remember when we went YEARS without a release. Original Generations on PS2, my god! that game didn't want to see the light. Kept our heads spinning in hype for ages.
If they need compromises to keep the SRW train going, I'm ok with it.

edit: they added new info about the DLC stages. Those I played on Jigoku were awesome so these will be insta-buy for me.
http://srw-v.suparobo.jp/special/05.php

I wish we have an OT for this so more people will pay attention to this series. I really want the Anime song version badly but goddamnit why isn't it available in English?

Shouta

I watched the Hakata Daikichi videos they put out for the game and it's always nice to see some of the comedians talk about games. Now I want Ametalk to do a SRW episode like they do for Kinniku man and etc. lol

Edit: I can probably put an OT up for it tomorrow if no one has done it though it'd be pretty make-shift.

Tsukumo

I don't have the game yet, what exactly are the introductions for each anime? Text? Animation?

Still undisclosed at this point. Early users just posted a pic of the options page without further detail.

I wish we have an OT for this so more people will pay attention to this series. I really want the Anime song version badly but goddamnit why isn't it available in English?

Well you can still download most of it from ITunes and such. People on 2chan are a bit up in arms about it because Bandai didn't divulge any info about the DLC stages until a day before release.
For people who got the Premium version, this means the game + DLC is going to cost them something around 17k (yen). We kind of... dodged a bullet...
Me, I'm just going to cut and paste the entire Xenoblade soundtrack to the game and if it's true that you can completely substitute even the intermission bgms... oh boy! :)

I watched the Hakata Daikichi videos they put out for the game and it's always nice to see some of the comedians talk about games. Now I want Ametalk to do a SRW episode like they do for Kinniku man and etc. lol

Edit: I can probably put an OT up for it tomorrow if no one has done it though it'd be pretty make-shift.

Tried to watch his videos but seeing him play without having the chance to see what was going on in the game pissed me off a bit.

BTW there will be another Supa Robo Channel stream today at 21:00. 1 PM for me here in Italy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWge-Gzj-qQ
They'll show V in action, give new info on X-Omega, and talk about new merchandise/ products for the SRW line (I suppose they mean Crusader cards here).
Bunch of hosts and Terada with Tsukanaka, who's supposed to be his heir to the throne.

What? You guys only watching that now?

The best thing about him is that he seems to be a genuine SRW veteran.

For people who got the Premium version, this means the game + DLC is going to cost them something around 17k (yen). We kind of... dodged a bullet...

Even if you got the most expensive shit (PS4 premium), you'd still only have a little above 15k JPY at most.
And if you're a PS+ user, you should have a 10% off discount code that works until friday 23:59. (PS+ users get 3x 10% off coupons for first three months. First one ends friday.)

The early bird price (DL) lasts up until March 22, comes with the first print bonus + DL bonus, so there was never a need to hurry if you had any doubts.

Naturally, if you get the package version, the price would be lower.

Tried to watch his videos but seeing him play without having the chance to see what was going on in the game pissed me off a bit.

You're obviously doing it wrong lel.

Loona

- besides the usual character/ mech encyclopedia, the game now gives you access to a "collection" of save and quit messages, and introductions to each anime.

Moon Dwellers already had this - I recall this clarifying why I saw Bullet in that so often, he had 3 variation of the same dialog.

No opening CG?

What. The. Fuck.

Lame.

Those can be nice, and I love the one from SRW Alpha 3, but I'd rather see the money being spent translating the game and helping make them more viable internationally, since at least to me the crossover writing is a major part of the charm.

Loona

BTW there will be another Supa Robo Channel stream today at 21:00. 1 PM for me here in Italy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWge-Gzj-qQ
They'll show V in action, give new info on X-Omega, and talk about new merchandise/ products for the SRW line (I suppose they mean Crusader cards here).
Bunch of hosts and Terada with Tsukanaka, who's supposed to be his heir to the throne.

Sakura Taisen in X Omega, according to the stream... I recall reading that the ST creator didn't want the series in SRW, so I guess this opens the door (even more than Project X Zone did)?...

"Huckeboin" will go down in history as another SRW term to remember.

Huckeboin
n. a phenomenon that occurs when female characters with certain features acts as the main pilot for the machine Huckebein.

Coined by Huckebein pilot Shizuki Shizukawa voice actress Fujii Yukiyo.
"That was a nice Huckeboin!" -Yukiyo, 2017/02/22

KMpI9EI.png

squall23

Sakura Taisen in X Omega, according to the stream... I recall reading that the ST creator didn't want the series in SRW, so I guess this opens the door (even more than Project X Zone did)?...
That was just internet malarkey. At worst, the guy has no opinion on SRW. It's as incorrect as CLAMP not wanting Magic Knight Rayearth in SRW when they themselves have confirmed that that would be a dream collaboration.

muteki

Yeah I got my shipping notice this morning.

Can we buy the DLC on the Asian english version? I really want to have the vocal bgms, it's one of my favorite parts :)

AFAIK there is no premium sound version in Asia/english.

The game supports custom soundtracks though so...you can kinda get there anyway.

That was just internet malarkey. At worst, the guy has no opinion on SRW. It's as incorrect as CLAMP not wanting Magic Knight Rayearth in SRW when they themselves have confirmed that that would be a dream collaboration.

It's hard to tell what's good info and what's not, especially in the english-speaking side of SRW fandom. At least back then. Some info just never reached outside Japanese spheres.

It didn't help that some mods in certain forums were powertripping at that time. I don't believe things like Huckebein Issue were ever cleared up or tied up. (I stopped visiting SRW websites some time before joining NeoGAF).

Fun Fact: Huckebein/Grungust's inclusion in SRW V came from Bandai Namco.

What if the name SRW V may actually be due to the Huckebein finally getting it's V-fin back. Some fans surmises that the "empty 10 years" in the SRW V trailer was actually a jab at the Huckebein issue. The first trail of the issue was in 2006, where someone thought to be part of the staff posted in 2ch about 3 months before the anime aired. Then 2016 is when SRW V was revealed.

P.S. It's been 9 years since the last time we had a female main character in an SRW. Last one was Setsuko Ohara (2008).

P.P.S. Technically, Excellen Browning is the sole female main character to have her own SRW game where there is no alternative choice.

My copy shipped this morning from Play Asia, that was kind of a surprise, they're normally not always the best at getting things out early or on time.

Absol

Yay copy has shipped and it says delivery estimate is tomorrow. Here I thought i wouldn't get to play it until Monday.

Menthuss

Judging from this demo reel the translation is still a bit wonky. So far nothing on Moon Dwellers' level yet though.
One thing I noticed is that in the video I linked, they referred to Uchuu Senkan Yamato as its western name Star Blazers 2199.

Top Bottom