• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U Thread 5: Yarning for Yoshi

Toad.T

Banned
Why hasn't Saburo revealed Tienshinhan yet?

(On a serious note, where was that trophy revealed on Friday from? Kid Icarus Uprising? One of the Fire Emblems?)

Nothing's released because Other M killed the franchise, or at least put it in a coma. And it's still the latest-release game in the franchise; Fusion may have set Adam Malkovich events up, but they weren't deliberately referring to Other M. They just happened to go with those ideas for Other M. It's basically a canon retcon.
There's also stuff like frozen Ridley and Nightmare. And yeah, Other M retcons a lot of stuff, but then again so did Zero Mission. And I'm not disagreeing about it being terrible, but that doesn't mean you can just ignore it.

KHlover

Banned
Nothing's released because Other M killed the franchise, or at least put it in a coma. And it's still the latest-release game in the franchise; Fusion may have set Adam Malkovich events up, but they weren't deliberately referring to Other M. They just happened to go with those ideas for Other M. It's basically a canon retcon.
Please show me on the puppet where the bad man touched you.

Put Other M on the index, it causes real psychological trauma

/s

Other M seems to ignore Prime, sure. At the same time, it makes its story more reasonable. Especially the Ridley scene. Everyone likes to talk about how Samus had seen Ridley "so many times" up to that point, but now she hadn't.

Gleethor

j588yi3.gif

lol

I don't know why, but I don't hate Other M. And I'm a reeeeally huge Metroid fan. I know the writing was eh, but I don't think it ruined Samus, or the franchise. I actually rather enjoyed it. It's definitely a flawed game in more ways than one, but I find myself going back to it now and then to 100% for a good time.

*shrugs*

I don't know why, but I don't hate Other M. And I'm a reeeeally huge Metroid fan. I know the writing was eh, but I don't think it ruined Samus, or the franchise. I actually rather enjoyed it. It's definitely a flawed game in more ways than one, but I find myself going back to it now and then to 100% for a good time.

*shrugs*
The game isn't that bad (definitely not the best the series has to offer, but still pretty decent, if not confusing) until you really start paying attention to what the characters are saying and start reading developer interviews. Then it just becomes horrible, really.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I also dont think other M was that bad either. I'm not a huge metroid fan but I've played over 90% of them, and my blood didnt fill with sodium at the very thought of other M

I've beaten Metroid I (well, Zero Mission), III and IV, plus Hunters. I played a bit of Prime I and III (didn't really like 'em), and some of Metroid II.

I love Other M. *shrug* But again - I prefer the 2D games, and Other M is like that but in... well, 3D (also minus some exploration, but still).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The closest metroid game other M is like is fusion, and that becomes really apparent once you actually play fusion.

I've beaten Metroid I (well, Zero Mission), III and IV, plus Hunters. I played a bit of Prime I and III (didn't really like 'em), and some of Metroid II.

I love Other M. *shrug* But again - I prefer the 2D games, and Other M is like that but in... well, 3D (also minus some exploration, but still).
I mean, that's all well and good, but the story of Other M (which is arguably the main focus of the game) is essentially a love letter for abusive relationships. That's the problem people have with it, not the gameplay.

I mean, that's all well and good, but the story of Other M (which is arguably the main focus of the game) is essentially a love letter for abusive relationships. That's the problem people have with it, not the gameplay.

Uuuuuh, I respectfully disagree. We're talking about Adam and Samus right? Maybe those developer interviews will shed some light on it? Otherwise I don't see much wrong with the plot other than it being rather by-the-numbers.

Maybe I'm being a little naive here though.

Uuuuuh, I respectfully disagree. We're talking about Adam and Samus right? Maybe those developer interviews will shed some light on it? Otherwise I don't see much wrong with the plot other than it being rather by-the-numbers.
The interviews help, yeah. You can look up some articles about it, it's usually a good read and there's a lot of it. But, I mean, as an example, he shoots her at one point, and she spends the rest of the game thanking him. He tells her he needed to do it, and she believes him, but in the logic of the game, he didn't. He just almost gets her killed, which nobody ever mentions as a bad idea again. It wouldn't be bad if Samus was supposed to be an unreliable narrator or like tragic character or whatever, but nothing about the framing or music in these scenes or any others would make you think that's the case. In all honesty a lot of it is probably a coincidence due to incompetence in part of the writers, but the amount of care that was put into the cutscenes makes you wonder if it's not there on purpose. It's just... uncomfortable. In any case, I highly recommend reading up on it if you're ever bored/want to know what the fuss is about. Even if you still don't agree, it's interesting!

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
The three most important Star Fox characters were already in Brawl and I hope it stays the same with SSB4.

The interviews help, yeah. You can look up some articles about it, it's usually a good read and there's a lot of it. But, I mean, as an example, he shoots her at one point, and she spends the rest of the game thanking him. He tells her he needed to do it, and she believes him, but in the logic of the game, he didn't. He just almost gets her killed, which nobody ever mentions as a bad idea again. It wouldn't be bad if Samus was supposed to be an unreliable narrator or like tragic character or whatever, but nothing about the framing or music in these scenes or any others would make you think that's the case. In all honesty a lot of it is probably a coincidence due to incompetence in part of the writers, but the amount of care that was put into the cutscenes makes you wonder if it's not there on purpose. It's just... uncomfortable. In any case, I highly recommend reading up on it if you're ever bored/want to know what the fuss is about. Even if you still don't agree, it's interesting!

Huh, I guess I never thought about that. If you have some links handy I'd love to read up on it!

The three most important Star Fox characters were already in Brawl and I hope it stays the same with SSB4.

The only other SF character I'd want to see is Slippy, and even then I think it'd be a stretch. Actually, I think having all of team Starfox playable (looking at you Peppy) at some point would be cool. But not in Smash 4.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Ridley could use his tail like a staff.

Huh, I guess I never thought about that. If you have some links handy I'd love to read up on it!
Off the top of my head, here's a good to-the-point one, and a good "I have so much free time I want to spend days reading someone complain about a video game" one:

http://moonbase.rydia.net/mental/blog/gaming/metroid-other-m-the-elephant/article.html

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/lb_i.php?lb_id=13373815860B43920100

Like I said, it's best if you take it with a grain of salt. There's also a few articles that basically just bash the things Sakamoto has said in interviews, but they're usually more humor-focused.

She says the last time she encountered Ridley was at the end of Zero Mission. And I'm pretty sure they do, there's always a warning that it might not be canon.

Well that is not true because Samus fights Ridley in Super Metroid, which takes place after both Zero Mission and the Prime trilogy. Super Metroid is most certainly canon to Other M (the baby, et cetera).

Well that is not true because Samus fights Ridley in Super Metroid, which takes place after both Zero Mission and the Prime trilogy. Super Metroid is most certainly canon to Other M (the baby, et cetera).
That's my bad. I must have misremembered. Maybe I was thinking of how her freakout only makes sense if this is the third time she's seen Ridley, mixed with some Sakamoto comments?

I'M FINISHED!

I only believe in Marthicles.

I'm sorry, what?

That's an anime trope. I feel like people are looking at it differently because Samus is female. Vegeta did that same shit to Goku, and everyone thought it was a heroic sacrifice. Shit, dude punched out kids afterwards. Abusive relationship? The hell?

EDIT: Hell, in both cases we know *damn* well that Samus/Goku would've rather been the one to play hero. Adam/Vegeta saved them from needless sacrifice (also, Vegeta didn't know about Super Saiyan 3).

Roy was better in every possible way.

I played the first 5 mins and discovered it was terrible so I stopped playing. What does she say that suggests Primes didn't happen? And why don't wiki pages reflect this?

As she meets along with Adam and the team early in the game she says ""It was the first joint mission I had been a part of since becoming a freelance bounty hunter. And of course, it was the first time since my Federation days that I was following the orders of a commanding officer."

The entirety of Prime 3, she had been on a joint mission with other bounty hunters. Also Admiral Dane gave her orders in Prime 3 as well.

Edit: This review hits the nail on the head with all the flaws of Other M.

rekameohs

Banned
I'm a huge Metroid fan and I really dislike Other M because of the gameplay, not the story. The awful d-pad controls in a three dimensional world, the entire concept of concentration, the ham fisted first person mode, and the "win button" dodge were just really poorly executed. I'll let Sakamoto deservedly get the brunt of the hate regarding the story, but Team Ninja is to blame as well for several of the gameplay decisions, as well as the lazy environmental art direction and level design (real smart to force you go to the big intersecting room in Cryosphere to the glass window that you can't shoot through, back to the intersecting room to get Asshole Adam to give you the Wave Beam, BACK to the glass window to shoot one little switch, then BACK AGAIN to the first room. What?!). I did hear that it was Sakamoto's insistence to use Wiimote only controls, so clearly a few screws are loose in that man's head when directing Team Ninja, though.

Point being, if you want a linear, action-packed Metroid game that still has glimpses of the series formula mixed with a more extensive story, play Fusion or Corruption instead.

Roo

Other M seems to ignore Prime, sure. At the same time, it makes its story more reasonable. Especially the Ridley scene. Everyone likes to talk about how Samus had seen Ridley "so many times" up to that point, but now she hadn't.

Well, afaik the Prime series is not canon.
And even if they were, in the "storyline" Other M happened before Prime. so that's why they're so distant story wise from each other.

Top Bottom