• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros for 3DS: New Characters Video LEAKED! (SPOILERS)

Koppai

Can someone explain to me like I'm 31 why the 3DS would have trouble with Ice Climbers?
Considering the Smash charcaters can have custom movesets now they are probably having trouble coming up with alot of moves for them. They already committed to a release date of September 13th in Japan for the 3DS version. They will probably be released as free DLC when the Wii U version and Amiibo comes out.

Fireblend

Banned
Never underestimate how good people are at making fakes.

Wait, you still think it might be fake?
KuGsj.gif

Cube1701

Neo Member
The 3DS has a pretty shitty processor in it. Since Sakurai is hellbent on maintaining 60 fps in the 3DS version, having the potential of eight characters on screen at once is going to wreak havoc on the framerate, unless they applied a frame limiter on their animations and capped them at 30 fps, like the Pokemon and the Assist Trophies, which would look dreadful next to the playable characters that are still running at 60 fps.

Couldn't they just use a simpler design to reduce resources used? They already have 8 characters due to Rosalina & Luma.

Devil

Holy shit! Glad to have a confirmation already.

For completeness, here are the characters that are NOT returning in a playable form. Characters not present in Brawl in italics.

• Mewtwo
  • Pichu
  • Roy
  • Ivysaur
  • Squirtle
  • Wolf
  • Lucas
  • Ice Climbers
  • Snake
  • (Young Link)*
* For those that don't consider Toon Link a replacement version of him.

Incredibly satisfied with the roster!

Outside Ice Climbers (and Mewtwo), the cuts are relatively reasonable. I wish Ganondorf would use a sword, even if he remained a clone of Captain Falcon, but we're yet to see his custom moves, so, let's wait and see -- speaking of clones, don't really mind Dark Pit. (Dr. Mario is pretty random, though). Glad to see R.O.B. back, considering that, realistically, he was in a more dangerous position than the Ice Climbers. The ideas of many newcomers are very interesting, and both new iconic characters (Shulk!) and cult classics (Duck Hunt!) finally make their appearance.

I won't say no to DLC, but I'm very content with what we're getting. The game selection has great variety, both fighter- and character-wise. Looking forward to playing the game.

You're being a little quick there. We don't even know yet whether the roster really is complete. There was a lot of false information spread around by the leakers themselves, we don't even know what to believe. Nevertheless it's still possible that not every character is unlocked in these videos for the ESRB.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
For completeness, here are the characters that are NOT returning in a playable form. Characters not present in Brawl in italics.

• Mewtwo
  • Pichu
  • Roy
  • Ivysaur
  • Squirtle
  • Wolf
  • Lucas
  • Ice Climbers
  • Snake
  • (Young Link)*
* For those that don't consider Toon Link a replacement version of him.

Incredibly satisfied with the roster!

Outside Ice Climbers (and Mewtwo), the cuts are relatively reasonable. I wish Ganondorf would use a sword, even if he remained a clone of Captain Falcon, but we're yet to see his custom moves, so, let's wait and see -- speaking of clones, don't really mind Dark Pit. (Dr. Mario is pretty random, though). Glad to see R.O.B. back, considering that, realistically, he was in a more dangerous position than the Ice Climbers. The ideas of many newcomers are very interesting, and both new iconic characters (Shulk!) and cult classics (Duck Hunt!) finally make their appearance.

I won't say no to DLC, but I'm very content with what we're getting. The game selection has great variety, both fighter- and character-wise. Looking forward to playing the game.

No Young Link sucks - was always my favorite/main. Will probably give toon Link a shot.

Also a shame about Snake - are we confident we WILL see him in DLC?

Platy

I would say because Toon Link is a little different than Link?

Everything points to both Lucina and Dark Pit being too.

SMash always have ridiculous ways to unlock characters .... I still think random lucas/wolf/ice can still be there so the roster makes some sense franchise-wise

Ridley327

Couldn't they just use a simpler design to reduce resources used? They already have 8 characters due to Rosalina & Luma.

Luma is a hell of a lot simpler in the animations department than either Ice Climber.

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if a four Rosalina fight would run into slowdowns on the 3DS, but time will tell.

Timeaisis

Three things:
1. Holy shit this is real
2. Toon Link is not a clone
I promise.
3. This doesn't deconfirm the Ice Climbers on Wii U unless I'm forgetting some Wii U/3DS parity statement.

I always believed the initial leak; or at least I did after a day or so and no one conclusively proved it fake by that point. I was always weary of the DLC list of characters that came with the first leak though. There is no explanation given as to where the leaker got that information, so until I see something more solid, I'll just assume any extra DLC characters are still up in the air. I honestly don't see Snake coming back, nor do I see Mewtwo being cut yet again. Lucas and Wolf don't seem like very exciting choices for DLC characters either.

The 3DS has a pretty shitty processor in it. Since Sakurai is hellbent on maintaining 60 fps in the 3DS version, having the potential of eight characters on screen at once is going to wreak havoc on the framerate, unless they applied a frame limiter on their animations and capped them at 30 fps, like the Pokemon and the Assist Trophies, which would look dreadful next to the playable characters that are still running at 60 fps.

Considering the Smash charcaters can have custom movesets now they are probably having trouble coming up with alot of moves for them. They already committed to a release date of September 13th in Japan for the 3DS version. They will probably be released as free DLC when the Wii U version and Amiibo comes out.

Framerate, most likely. The Ice Climbers are 2 characters, one of which is also controlled by an AI.

Thanks guys.

So they'd basically have to split them up and make Popo/Nana separate characters?

Revven

Luma is a hell of a lot simpler in the animations department than either Ice Climber.

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if a four Rosalina fight would run into slowdowns on the 3DS, but time will tell.

Also, Luma's AI is way simpler as well. Nana is completely independent of Popo when separated from him while Luma, when separated from Rosalina, does what the player inputs and often times can be seen just trying to "float" back to Rosalina much like Olimar's Pikmin. Nana actually navigates stages on her own when she's separated from Popo. I don't know how complex her AI is but while on the surface it looks simple enough underneath it's probably actually really deep and complex.

Couple that with having to do that for a max of 4 Ice Climbers... and yeah, I can see why ICs would be left in the dust.

I don't know which feeling is more intense, the joy at the character roster, or the absolute rage that Ganondorf is a fucking Captain Falcon clone, AGAIN. WHAT THE FUCK.
I still want a joke voice track where he says all the Captain Falcon lines replacing Falcon with Ganon and show me your moves with show me your sword (to be played during the sword taunt). I've wanted that since the day he was shown to be in Melee.

rekameohs

Banned
Three things:
I promise.
3. This doesn't deconfirm the Ice Climbers on Wii U unless I'm forgetting some Wii U/3DS parity statement.

Sakurai was quoted as saying they will have identical rosters quite a while ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were DLC to keep the rosters the same (including Ice Climbers) once the Wii U version comes out.

Platy

Three things:
I promise.

The characters are the same between consoles, but how the roster is distributed makes me think there are at least 1 character left to unlock .... probably Lucas, but it can be Ice Climbers

daxgame

I gladly accept the sillyness, I did think they were fake. Or actually, I thought the info was fake. I still can't believe that there are DLCs characters and Dr. Mario but :eek:

Admittedly, until now I haven't realized that the DLCs could be free...

requoting myself as the original leaker + smashboards have implied that, as I guessed, the DLC part is a fake.
Also, this doesn't seem to be the final roster.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Is anyone else excited for the Duck Hunt Dog super? Especially on a WiiU? Game sends itself to the Gamepad for that player, except on that character's screen, a targeting reticle shows up. Player gets like 15 seconds to start firing on his screen, blowing people away with shots.

Super hyped if that can be done.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Bowser Jr, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit.

Ganon looks like a clone again and DLC rumors were true.

This is pretty disappointing. At least Shulk made it in.

How is it disappointing?

Newcomers: Greninja, Lucina, Mega Man, Pac Man, Little Mac, Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, Mii Gunner, Palutena, Robin, Rosalina & Luma, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Clown Car Bowser Jr/Koopalings, Shulk, Dark Pit, Duck Hunt Dog, Chorus Men (rumored DLC)

Brawl had 39 characters and 18 newcomers.

Assuming the leak is 100% true and complete, Smash 4 has:
51 characters and 17 newcomers (not including DLC)
56 characters and 18 newcomers (including DLC)
Plus, each character has 12 specials now. Each of the 4 specials you can have in your moveset has 3 variations you choose from.

Top Bottom