• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSah

Banned
So, with these new characters, who is GAF considering maining? I'm still at Megaman (his playstyle was awesome in the demo), possibly considering Lucina, and possibly considering Ganondorf if he's less complete shit this time around.

Little Mac and Lucina.

GamerSoul

Maybe they sped him up from the E3 build. Sakurai's team has apparently taken the landing lag issue to heart.

I don't think there's any way of know yet...but Lucina had no lag after neutral air in the trailer. It could have been like that for Marth before in the videos we've seen but I dunno.

[QUOTE="D";121091341]*Sigh* So my fear was confirmed. Lucina a "clone".

Goddammit.

Was hoping for a alt costume.

As much as I like her, can't help but shake the feeling like its a wasted slot[/QUOTE]

tumblr_n03hb95EFE1qbwhzlo2_250.gif

I honestly thought she was an alt but this is better, imo. No ned to hide her.

I don't, he is already an important part of a Final Smash. I honestly think there is around 0% chance that he will be made a playable character via DLC. The models for all the other Mega Men are as high quality as playable characters too, I think Sakurai just wants to make sure the models for Final Smash only characters are good.
Except that the Mega Man FS is a cutscene, and Chrom is an independent render.

I think he's got some more up his (nonexistent) sleeve.

JediLink

Everyone, before you all start speculating to infinity about what new clones we're going to get, keep in mind that the main reason why clones are efficient is because their animations can be recycled. If a clone gets it, it'd have to be someone that could have near identical animations to an existing character.

For example, Robin's animations can't be recycled for Ganondorf because Ganondorf doesn't hold books, but Proto Man or Classic Sonic could probably work.

DLC's gonna be so odd. Like, will it already be in as a trophy, assist trophy, final smash, stage decoration? If it's in, then it won't seem like it'll be DLC. But if it's noticably absent from all of those things, then it'll seem like it will be DLC. It's just so odd to wrap my head around.

So, with these new characters, who is GAF considering maining? I'm still at Megaman (his playstyle was awesome in the demo), possibly considering Lucina, and possibly considering Ganondorf if he's less complete shit this time around.

for mes its gotta be lucina and palutena but i will dabble in everyone and will probably have pocket top tier characters because me and my friends just run that way :p

lolpho

Just think of Lucina as a little present from Sakurai. Is she really a wasted slot if it took very little effort to make her?

[QUOTE="D";121091341]As much as I like her, can't help but shake the feeling like its a wasted slot[/QUOTE]
Haven't we established that slots aren't a real thing? Lucina's inclusion isn't keeping another character out of the game. And the "development time" argument doesn't really work in this situation considering Lucina has identical moves to Marth.

SmithnCo

DLC's gonna be so odd. Like, will it already be in as a trophy, assist trophy, final smash, stage decoration? If it's in, then it won't seem like it'll be DLC. But if it's noticably absent from all of those things, then it'll seem like it will be DLC. It's just so odd to wrap my head around.

Villager and Robin look the most interesting to me so far.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I love (and by that I mean it's stupid) the whole idea of "wasted slots", as if Nintendo imposed a limit to Sakurai and co. of how many characters they can put in the game. Lucina was probably made while also porting the other veterans, and her inclusion does not imply millions of manhours were diverted from putting x character into the game.

I wish that at the bottom of Captain Falcon's page on the website they put "Want to find out more about Captain Falcon? Visit the official website for Nintendo Land! CAUSE THAT'S ALL YOU GET."

I really want a new F-Zero...

I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to link the "Want to know more about Captain Falcon?" to an image of him flipping off the camera like a gansta.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
I don't think there's any way of know yet...but Lucina had no lag after neutral air in the trailer. It could have been like that for Marth before in the videos we've seen but I dunno.

tumblr_n03hb95EFE1qbwhzlo2_250.gif

I honestly thought she was an alt but this is better, imo. No ned to hide her.

Sakurai could've done the old Sheik/Zelda treatment and let them take up one character select portrait.

Weird I know but I just really was hoping we were getting over this clone tomfoolery.

Then again, we've yet to hear from the semi-clones Ganondorf, Falco and Wolf

EDIT: If its true she's not taking away from someone else then that's golden with me. Melee and to a lesser extent Brawl left a bad taste in my mouth from the clone/semi-clone stuff.

Only clones/semi-clone I personally feel should even exist is Luigi since him and Mario are brothers and share the same "martial art"

Toon Link could have gotten Wind Waker inspired moves, Ganondorf was just handled lazily (although he grew on me)

Falco and Wolf, i'm not entirely sure what they could have done for them but since all three Star Fox characters have such stark contrasts in their personality, I feel like they could have attempted to be more creative

Except that the Mega Man FS is a cutscene, and Chrom is an independent render.

I think he's got some more up his (nonexistent) sleeve.

It's a cutscene rendered in engine and Robin's Final Smash has him (and Robin) bouncing around attacking an enemy with no player control. There is literally no difference. They made the model for the Final Smash and there is next to no chance of Chrom being added as DLC because he is already in a Final Smash. If Sakurai wanted to add Chrom as DLC he would have used someone else like Fredrick or Tharja in Robin's Final Smash.

Crocodile

[QUOTE="D";121091341]*Sigh* So my fear was confirmed. Lucina a "clone".

Goddammit.

Was hoping for a alt costume.

As much as I like her, can't help but shake the feeling like its a wasted slot[/QUOTE]

picard-double-facepalm-gif-5917.gif

Clones don't waste slots. She's only in the game because they can pull so much from Marth. With a small amount of additional work, MUCH less than it would take to make a whole new character, they made her into a character which increaes roster size, increases the number of playstyles in the game and make fans of her character super happy. It's a win for all.

I hope my tone isn't too harsh, just trying to be frank and clear

It's a cutscene rendered in engine and Robin's Final Smash has him (and Robin) bouncing around attacking an enemy with no player control. There is literally no difference. They made the model for the Final Smash and there is next to no chance of Chrom being added as DLC because he is already in a Final Smash. If Sakurai wanted to add Chrom as DLC he would have used someone else like Fredrick or Tharja in Robin's Final Smash.
Maybe Chrom will get swapped out if someone is using him. I think you're writing him off too easily. (I just looked closer at your av, maybe you've got some pent up frustration with Chrom?)

Anything can happen! Toon Link on a train!

Hey Chrom's got one sleeve! It's on the same side he has one boot
No one cares about that side. ;P

random25

Kirby still. My forever main. But of course, being a Megaman diehard, Megaman will get ample playing time. Screw it, Megaman, Mario, Sonic and Pac-man plus Kirby. Ultimate retro guys, represent!

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Haven't we established that slots aren't a real thing? Lucina's inclusion isn't keeping another character out of the game. And the "development time" argument doesn't really work in this situation considering Lucina has identical moves to Marth.

I see. That gives me hope then

GamerSoul

I just want to point out one more time because I NEVER GET PREDICTIONS RIGHT

I know this makes me a jerk, I 'm sorry

is ok. I'd do the same thing.

I'm probably gonna try to main mac first but Greninja, Palutena, Lucina, Robin look so good also.

"D"

Clones don't waste slots. She's only in the game because they can pull so much from Marth. With a small amount of additional work, MUCH less than it would take to make a whole new character, they made her into a character which increaes roster size, increases the number of playstyles in the game and make fans of her character super happy. It's a win for all.

Nah its cool. Guess I was over-reacting. I AM glad she's in but I got Melee flashbacks for a sec haha

Hatchtag

Banned
Everyone, before you all start speculating to infinity about what new clones we're going to get, keep in mind that the main reason why clones are efficient is because their animations can be recycled. If a clone gets it, it'd have to be someone that could have near identical animations to an existing character.

For example, Robin's animations can't be recycled for Ganondorf because Ganondorf doesn't hold books, but Proto Man or Classic Sonic could probably work.

Hades and Ganondorf having the same frame gives me so much damn hope. I love Ganondorf's moveset, but I'd be happy to let him grow into the sword/magic user people want him to be if Hades got his moveset in exchange.

Kirby still. My forever main. But of course, being a Megaman diehard, Megaman will get ample playing time. Screw it, Megaman, Mario, Sonic and Pac-man plus Kirby. Ultimate retro guys, represent!

Now THIS is the kind of thing I can get behind. Or I would, except I really need to play a lot of Rosalina. The technical aspects just make me salivate. And Palutena, but for slightly less noble reasons. I know, I'm part of the problem.

Rychu Supadude

Neo Member
So how does the Australian Classification Board classify a game as Nudity with Very Mild Impact? I just want to know to set my expectations. :p

The Australian Classification Board is drunk 23 hours a day, and has a track record of giving a "harsher" rating to sequels that have objectively LESS "bad content", as well as giving an "easier" rating to sequels that have objectively MORE "bad content". IT COULD MEAN ANYTHING!

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
clones are a constant in smash
we'll never get rid of falco, ganondorf, toon link, or wolf
embrace the clones

Moonlight

Banned
Chrom's Final Smash model doesn't look anymore detailed than any of Megaman's models and I doubt we're getting Megaman.exe. :lol

Robin is definitely gonna be my main. She is almost exactly what I was looking for in an FE rep. Definitely gonna be looking into Based Palutena and my main girl Sheik.

Ike is a stiff maybe assuming he doesn't blow.

Myn

Man Lucas and Ness were super diverse alterations of each other, of all the clones they're the least cloniest, don't you even!

I will never get the idea of "wasted slots." I'm happy with anyone we get. I'll always have my impossible favorites who I'd love but I'll never seen in Smash (Chibi-Robo........) but as long as my favorites stick around it's hard to disappoint me. Every single new addition has been rad to see, even Lucina, and I never even played Awakening.

Yeah, you're right. I've always been salty about Lucas because I grew up with Earthbound and wanted Poo as a newcomer since he fits the fighting archetype, then Lucas comes in with a similar base move set. :( Something I truly hope is that they dropped Lucas to free up a character slot and just transferred his moves as customizable options for Ness. I just don't like him. >_<;

Grakl

only new characters? little mac I think, though I like so many of the new characters and will try them all

The tone wasn't harsh. But the gif cuts deeper than the tip of Marth's blade.

Also, at this point, I'm over my limit of satisfaction. I welcome any and all new characters but I wouldn't even be upset if they just stopped now. I mean, so long as they include Jiggly and Ness of course.

Bleep

When they start making a new Smash Bros game they draw a grid on a white board and start filling characters in. There are only so many spots on this grid so once they are filled in it's wasted. It's impossible to resize this grid or add new spaces to it because they draw the grid in permanent marker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom