• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 7: How Can My Smash Brother Be This Cut

NeonZ

I mean stage hazard Ridley was hinted at in September!!! Yet he has still to show him. There's gotta be a reason, or else he wouldn't have hinted at him so many months ago. There are no precedents for this kind of behaviour, as far as Sakurai is concerned.

The main oddity with Ridley's treatment is that this can't even be a case of mismatched expectations. Teasing a Ridley boss battle like it were going to be a big reveal is nonsense, considering how Brawl already had two Ridley boss fights, so it's not even something new. This isn't a case where he might think that he's doing some big fanservice by making Ridley a boss.

So I've been thinking...if Miis were in the game, wouldn't they have been one of the first characters shown? It seems just like Nintendo to want to advertise them being in the game from the get-go, right?

What do you guys think? I'm not sure what I think about the idea myself.

NeonZ

Marth will be Japanese forever, he didn't have an actual VA in Shadow Dragon IIRC

I don't think that really matters. Pokemon trainer also didn't have VA in the games. And Marth himself didn't have VA in the Japanese games either, but he isn't mute. Considering how he now has a localized game, he should get an American VA.

I have played FE:A lol was just curious because that would have been a decent way of making people think in FE:A
Lucina really was Marth

All pre-release material for Awakening promoted Masked Marth like he was the Marth, in spite of the obvious oddity regarding his voice.
Lucina's existence was completely hidden.
It feels kind of silly in the game itself though, considering how right after meeting Masked Marth in the second chapter, Chrom's assumption seems to be just that he's named after Marth, not that he's Marth himself. So, the marketing was trying to make it a bigger mystery than the game itself.

So I've been thinking...if Miis were in the game, wouldn't they have been one of the first characters shown? It seems just like Nintendo to want to advertise them being in the game from the get-go, right?

They could be keeping them for E3.

There's the oddity of Find Mii not having a general Mii emblem though, but rather a crown for the game itself. Like mentioned earlier in this topic, I wonder if Mii could end up just being a costume for Villager? He has some attacks that don't reference Animal Crossing itself (like the boxing gloves, which would be an obvious Mii attack due to the Boxing game in Wii Sports), and using a Mii face for the villager was an option in the last Animal Crossing...

Nintendo? Yes.

Sakurai? He hadn't informed us on a single feature aside from trophies until 2 weeks ago.

Your first mistake was trying to understand the madness that is Sakurai

Wow, Brawl really desaturated the colors.

Samus.jpg

Prime desaturated the colors.

In regard to the Varia suit, Prime desaturated Samus's outfit.

Twilight Princess dasaturated Link too. Brawl desaturated Mario so he would fit in with the newly-desaturated other characters.

I'm pretty sure that the art direction influenced how the characters looked, not the other way around.

In regard to the Varia suit, Prime desaturated Samus's outfit.

Twilight Princess dasaturated Link too. Brawl desaturated Mario so he would fit in with the newly-desaturated other characters.

Yes, they desaturated every single character in Brawl because 2 of the other characters weren't as vibrant as previous iterations. Got it.

NeonZ

Yes, they desaturated every single character in Brawl because 2 of the other characters weren't as vibrant as previous iterations. Got it.

Aren't Bowser and Donkey Kong actually more colorful in Brawl than in Melee? It wasn't a completely uniform change. Although, in general, I agree that it was mostly the game's own art direction.

Brawl did do some of the desaturating. But the look on Link and Samus did not originate with Brawl. It originated with TP and Prime.

Remember playing TP? Remember thinking that when he got wet he looked a much richer, darker green? That's because he was desaturated in his default dry outfit.

Brawl did do some of the desaturating. But the look on Link and Samus did not originate with Brawl. It originated with TP and Prime.

Remember playing TP? Remember thinking that when he got wet he looked a much richer, darker green? That's because he was desaturated in his default dry outfit.

The way you're saying it, you seem to be under the impression that the guys behind Brawl directly ripped the models of Samus and Link from Prime and TP.

I am almost 100% certain that all of the character models are original to the Smash series. In fact, it is possible they are updated models of the ones from Melee (as it was confirmed that Brawl was built off of Melee).

Basically, Sakurai could have easily made Brawl more colorful and make Samus and Link more colorful as a result. He simply chose not to.

I'm not disagreeing that TP and (to a lesser exent) Prime desaturated their main characters. It just seemed like you were saying Brawl wasn't doing it either. My bad if I misunderstood.

As for Samus, though, I think Brawl did more of the work than Prime. For example, here's official art for Prime Samus and Brawl Samus.

EDIT: Sorry for the massive picture. Anyone want to tell me an easy way to fix that problem?
EDIT2: Thanks, Nohar

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I noticed a couple of small things on the official Facebook page that I don't recall being discussed here.

10272744_270532983120389_4308007802166799723_o.png

This appears to be the score results screen to one of the modes (Classic?) in the Wii U game with the player's Global Smash Power. We already know from the Direct that GSP is based on results from offline-play, this might give a better idea of how GSP calculated.

The page also posted an official render Wireframe Mac (they haven't posted an male Wii Fit Trainer render yet, though).
10255494_271125053061182_7366769864308217750_n.jpg

I think it might be one of the requirements to unlock the unlockable characters.

thought you were not expecting the leak to be the final roster?

Well, It's based on the numbers of roster that I would go with. With the assumption of the leaks being legit. Ever since 2011, I already expected Smash 4 to have at least 45 characters and 10 newcomers.

Jintor

I'm at my friends house and we're all playing for player melee right now on gc. So fucking good. Can't wait for smash four

Village

Just a some more colors than blue, and add the background colors to each of the fighters like on the website.

That UI would been the cleanest.

Is that Meta Knight pic some fan art or what? Why are the wings so realistic? :lol

They put so much effort into the UI, but the actual character art is so unbelievable that it's clearly fake after looking at it for 2 seconds.

lol what were they on when writing the japanese for that

it takes about as much time to go check the fact that the top has always said "dairantou" and not "battle royale", the correct text for the random button, and the correct format for the match type description as it does to find the character names in japanese so i'm not sure why they decided to make up some horrible japanese

and speaking of horrible, that ui design, jesus. nice tiny selection pawns and ready to fight banner that blocks character names.

Also "Ice Climbers" is usually just "Ice Climber" in Japan.

This might just be wishful thinking, but I think everything we've been shown is just the starting roster. In the Brawl dojo the secret characters weren't directly revealed unless you clicked on the page to 'agree' to see it in a way. And in Melee I don't believe the secret characters were revealed until after launch.

Also "Ice Climbers" is usually just "Ice Climber" in Japan.

This might just be wishful thinking, but I think everything we've been shown is just the starting roster. In the Brawl dojo the secret characters weren't directly revealed unless you clicked on the page to 'agree' to see it in a way. And in Melee I don't believe the secret characters were revealed until after launch.
I would agree, but Luigi, mega man, and Sonic are probably unlockable.

I would agree, but Luigi, mega man, and Sonic are probably unlockable.

Luigi might be a starter this time since he has so much appeal to the franchise. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. Ness went from being the final super secret unlockable character in Smash64 to being a Starter in Melee and then back to unlockable in Brawl..

Top Bottom