• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Gotta say, I think Melee had the best stages, even though I'm not really a "Melee #1 Guy!". Brawl's were actually pretty solid in my opinion, and I like the range of them (Donkey Kong basically covers all three eras---arcade, country, EAD, Metroid has both Super and Prime, etc.), but Melee had the best balance, then again, it didn't have to cover as many series as Brawl did. I did appreciate Brawl beginning the trend of non-playable series having stages, since a lot of those have potential even if they don't have any characters to lend.

I also have a weird nostalgia for the feel of the Melee Stages. They all felt off---none of them felt like they were just lifted from the actual game---and a lot of them felt desolate, gloomy, and a bit creepy seeing them now. I don't mean that in a bad way, but there was sort of a mystical quality to them most new stages lack.

Out of all the ones shown, I think Wrecking Crew best captures that aesthetic of feeling familiar, yet distant at the same time.

Clefargle

I love D1, but his BANNED video sort of points out this terrible kneejerk reaction that some competitive minded players towards stages: if it shows ANY signs at all that it might disrupt the "normal" style of (1-on-1) smashing, some are immediately dismissive or suspicious of it.

I've definitely felt that sentiment at other sites, the community has a robust stage creator with sharing now though. What could they possible find issue with now?

Jagsrock

Banned
love the wooly world stage. Also love the screen KO's
Kzjq2l.gif

Watch Da Birdie

It's a shame Sakurai doesn't seem to like music from a series with a stage playing on another series' stage, because Epic Yarn music would fit SO WELL on Wooly World.

I could see Freakyforms music on it though.

no?
aside from the one unlockable, Smash 64 stages are incredibly basic, and the "gimmicks" are minor at best (and there isn't even Battlefield/FD to boost those numbers)

edit: I mean really

Peach's Castle-one bumper in the middle, bottom part moves back and forth, that's it
Congo Jungle-platforms move+barrel, wooooo
Hyrule Castle-tornados
Planet Zebes-acid
Yoshi's Island-clouds that disappear if you stand on them too long
Dream Land-nothing (unless you count wind)
Sector Z-bigger Corneria, except it doesn't even have the extra Arwings shooting I think?
Saffron City-Pokemon show up on that one spot that is easily avoided from either side of the stage

*Says Smash 64 stages didn't have gimmicks*

*Mentions each stages gimmick*

Melee was the first game to have truly gimmick free stages in Final Destination and Battlefield. Yes some gimmicks are much more subdued then others, but they all have some kind of outside factor that can impact a match.

no?
aside from the one unlockable, Smash 64 stages are incredibly basic, and the "gimmicks" are minor at best (and there isn't even Battlefield/FD to boost those numbers)

edit: I mean really

Peach's Castle-one bumper in the middle, bottom part moves back and forth, that's it
Congo Jungle-platforms move+barrel, wooooo
Hyrule Castle-tornados
Planet Zebes-acid
Yoshi's Island-clouds that disappear if you stand on them too long
Dream Land-nothing (unless you count wind)
Sector Z-bigger Corneria, except it doesn't even have the extra Arwings shooting I think?
Saffron City-Pokemon show up on that one spot that is easily avoided from either side of the stage

man i miss saffron city and Peach's Castle. I really enjoy those levels.

Watch Da Birdie

I hate Peach's Castle 64, probably the ugliest and laziest looking stage in all of Smash.

They basically just took a lot of level pieces from Mario 64, stuck it in the air, and put a picture of Peach's Castle down below, and some bizarre hazards that don't have any rhyme or reason. Weird moving platform that goes through the bottom? Random floating bumper? Weird slopes? It's just so weird.

And using a rather lame remix of World 1-1 instead of something nice from Mario 64, like a remix of the Castle Theme or Bob-Omb Battlefield.

EDIT: I don't consider Melee's Peach's Castle that much better, nicer looking, but a pretty forgettable stage.

*Says Smash 64 stages didn't have gimmicks*

*Mentions each stages gimmick*

Melee was the first game to have truly gimmick free stages in Final Destination and Battlefield. Yes some gimmicks are much more subdued then others, but they all have some kind of outside factor that can impact a match.

the point is that these gimmicks are incredibly minor, especially when compared to the bosses

I hate Peach's Castle 64, probably the ugliest and laziest looking stage in all of Smash.

They basically just took a lot of level pieces from Mario 64, stuck it in the air, and put a picture of Peach's Castle down below, and some bizarre hazards that don't have any rhyme or reason. Weird moving platform that goes through the bottom? Random floating bumper? Weird slopes? It's just so weird.

And using a rather lame remix of World 1-1 instead of something nice from Mario 64, like a remix of the Castle Theme or Bob-Omb Battlefield.

EDIT: I don't consider Melee's Peach's Castle that much better, nicer looking, but a pretty forgettable stage.

This is how I feel. My personal votes for worst stages in the series are always Peach's Castle 64 and New Pork City.

Watch Da Birdie

I'd say my least favorite stages from each Smash are...

64: Peach's Castle. Ugly, weird, and unappealing in every way.
Melee: Venom. Just boring, and dull. Why do you need two Great Fox stages anyway?
Brawl: Hanenbow. Completely forgettable, no real music, no nothing. NPC, 75M, and Mario Bros. may be obnoxious, but they're iconic locales and have a decent music selection.
3DS: Spirit Train. Great music, looks nice, but it's the most frustrating level with nonintuitive moving screens and weird, unpredictable hazards. If this comes up in All-Star, I'm always fucked it seems. Living Room might become this, only because I never play it outside Classic and only then for a few seconds, so I don't really know much about it. Gaur Plain is second, only because it's so much wasted potential with nothing to it, and a really bad and unfun layout.
Wii U: All of them actually look pretty solid, visually. None of the hazards seem like they'll annoy me too much, Yellow Devil and Flying Man don't bother me too much.

I guess when it comes to least favorite Stages, usually it's less about gameplay, more about how memorable they are, Spirit Train excluded.

emb

Smash 64 had the best stages.
It really did (in terms of the overall quality of the roster I guess. Some stages later have been better). Even the really disruptive secret stage was actually great. The only 64 stage that I even kinda don't like is Brinstar, and it's still fun.

It's hard to imagine Smash levels these days with hazards that know their place. Hazards these days are really full of themselves, really arrogant.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, the best hazards are ones that are pretty "neutral", and everyone can fairly take advantage of. Like the clouds in 64 Yoshi's Story are great---they'll help you, but you gotta watch how long you use them, it's an intuitive, non-intrusive design.

Recruitable "hazards" like Flying Man go against this, as it's too one-sided. Ridley seems a bit more balanced as it seems he can switch sides if he's hit hard enough, so picking him up isn't as much of a "you win!" card like Flying Man usually is.

Xux

It'd be funny if they hired a whole team just to make competitively viable and 8-player versions of all the stages in the series for DLC or whatever. Going through every stage and thinking of things to tone down to be competitive is interesting but imagining 8 player versions is pretty crazy, lol.

Zubz

Banned

You have my sword

And my bow!

Also, seeing Ridley in action... Gah. It just angries up the blood. I mean, at least he can turn traitor so he's better than the unflappable Flying Men, and he moves a lot more slowly than I had hoped, but he still looks like a colossal pain in the ass. Colossal in the pejorative sense, to be specific; I still feel they could've easily gotten him to work as a playable character, and I'm still convinced that the Super Metroid design being used for his KO Icon shows he was worked on as a character at some point, and has me hoping that Namco will go behind Sakurai's back if he doesn't do it himself, and finish him, the Ice Climbers, and maybe the Chorus Kids for DLC, hell or high water. That and Kalos Pokemon League are the only stages that don't look great, though! Although, again, Boss/Hazard Toggle is a must DLC-wise, in my opinion.

Also, seeing Ridley in action... Gah. It just angries up the blood. I mean, at least he can turn traitor so he's better than the unflappable Flying Men, and he moves a lot more slowly than I had hoped, but he still looks like a colossal pain in the ass. Colossal in the pejorative sense, to be specific; I still feel they could've easily gotten him to work as a playable character, and I'm still convinced that the Super Metroid design being used for his KO Icon shows he was worked on as a character at some point, and has me hoping that Namco will go behind Sakurai's back if he doesn't do it himself, and finish him, the Ice Climbers, and maybe the Chorus Kids for DLC, hell or high water. That and Kalos Pokemon League are the only stages that don't look great, though! Although, again, Boss/Hazard Toggle is a must DLC-wise, in my opinion.

parappa_propaganda_by_blinkstale-d33enr5.png

Will everyone use wifi or the ethernet adapter (official Nintendo or 3rd party) to play online?
Any recommendations as far as unofficial Nintendo ethernet adapters? How is the online experience for Mario Kart 8?

Watch Da Birdie

Since I'm on Mario, can I say I've pretty much never liked any of the music they used for the Mario Stages? I'm mainly talking about their remixes, ignoring the music ripped right from the game.

Peach's Castle 64 as I mentioned before is a really uninspired version of World 1-1.

Mushroom Kingdom uses the actual NES World 1-1 song, so I don't count it as original music. And I'm tired of World 1-1! Dr. Mario is great, but it's not a mainline Mario song.

Princess Peach's Castle's remix sounds really off, and I hate the instruments they use. It's just an ugly song to me.

Rainbow Cruise also feels really off to me, and gets annoying---fast!

Mushroom Kingdom II (why's it even called that when it's Subcon?) just uses a NES song again. Thankfully World 1, Super Mario Bros. 2 is grossly underused so I'm alright with it.

It's not a "Mario Stage", but it may as well be...Yoshi's Island's default Yoshi's Island is another remix that tries to go for a unique sound, but quickly gets on my nerves. It's probably the best Mario remix, though in Melee. I love the guitar riff at the beginning of Super Mario Bros. 3, but it quickly goes south. Still though, it's not as bad as some of the other Mario remixes, but I don't like how it goes through so many styles as the song progresses, from guitar, to a nice piano tune, to a weird tropical one.

Delfino Plaza, most of it is lifted right out...Title/Ending from SMW is okay, but too gimmicky for a full song to have on repeat. New Super Mario Bros. is good especially compared to what it originally sounded like, but still, I don't like it much.

Mushroomy Kingdom...Ground Theme I and II are interesting, but still, have that really weird off-feeling a lot of the Mario remixes in Smash have. Same with the Underwater Theme, it just gets fucking weird after the NES part. Gritzy Desert is actually interesting, and suggests the best Mario music in Smash is ones taken from the side-series. Same with the Mario Land song, that one's also rather neat.

But yeah, the music has always put me off the majority of Mario Stages. Maybe I'm just tired of the countless World 1-1 (or Level 1) remixes?

I honestly can say that 3D Land, Paper Mario, Golden Plains, and Rainbow Road in the 3DS Version EASILY have the best Mario music in Smash, actually good remixes.

Since I'm on Mario, can I say I've pretty much never liked any of the music they used for the Mario Stages? I'm mainly talking about their remixes, ignoring the music ripped right from the game.

Peach's Castle 64 as I mentioned before is a really uninspired version of World 1-1.

Mushroom Kingdom uses the actual NES World 1-1 song, so I don't count it as original music. And I'm tired of World 1-1! Dr. Mario is great, but it's not a mainline Mario song.

Princess Peach's Castle's remix sounds really off, and I hate the instruments they use. It's just an ugly song to me.

Rainbow Cruise also feels really off to me, and gets annoying---fast!

Mushroom Kingdom II (why's it even called that when it's Subcon?) just uses a NES song again. Thankfully World 1, Super Mario Bros. 2 is grossly underused so I'm alright with it.

It's not a "Mario Stage", but it may as well be...Yoshi's Island's default Yoshi's Island is another remix that tries to go for a unique sound, but quickly gets on my nerves. It's probably the best Mario remix, though in Melee. I love the guitar riff at the beginning of Super Mario Bros. 3, but it quickly goes south. Still though, it's not as bad as some of the other Mario remixes, but I don't like how it goes through so many styles as the song progresses, from guitar, to a nice piano tune, to a weird tropical one.

Delfino Plaza, most of it is lifted right out...Title/Ending from SMW is okay, but too gimmicky for a full song to have on repeat. New Super Mario Bros. is good especially compared to what it originally sounded like, but still, I don't like it much.

Mushroomy Kingdom...Ground Theme I and II are interesting, but still, have that really weird off-feeling a lot of the Mario remixes in Smash have. Same with the Underwater Theme, it just gets fucking weird after the NES part. Gritzy Desert is actually interesting, and suggests the best Mario music in Smash is ones taken from the side-series. Same with the Mario Land song, that one's also rather neat.

But yeah, the music has always put me off the majority of Mario Stages. Maybe I'm just tired of the countless World 1-1 (or Level 1) remixes?

I honestly can say that 3D Land, Paper Mario, Golden Plains, and Rainbow Road in the 3DS Version EASILY have the best Mario music in Smash, actually good remixes.
I'm really sick of the World 1-1 theme for everything as well, but the mix they've done for Mushroom Kingdom U is actually pretty awesome. Would still love more variety, though as you said, the 3DS knocked it out of the park.

Watch Da Birdie

It's only gimmick was its size. That was all it needed.

Corneria wasn't bad with hazards, but there's something about the original's simplicity.

I hope Congo isn't the only 64 level. There's some great levels to bring back.

I suspect we'll just see the three they brought back in Melee, Congo Jungle, Yoshi's Story, and Dreamland. Although I guess Yoshi having three stages is weird, but Yoshi's Island Melee is basically a Mario Stage anyway.

Golnei

I really do hope Sector Z comes back. It probably wouldn't take as much work as Kongo Jungle, either, seeing as they have Corneria to start from - which was also why it was the first 64 stage to be recreated through Brawl mods.

I'm hoping for some huge Punch Out remix that incorporates all the different flavors and themes of the music in Punch Out Wii.

Seriously though, Punch Out music is like the hypest music ever. It just makes you want to punch someone. The fact that they can remix a song a dozen times in the same game and not have it be stale impresses me to no end.

Punch Out Wii was so great.

I mean wow.
It's like I'm actually fighting a Soviet. And then suddenly it's WWII on a different stage and yet it's the same song that sounds entirely different!

A remix with all of those transitioning into each other is like a dream song.

Next Level Games are pros at music like that. Every mansion in Dark Moon had the same theme. I didn't even realize it until like the fourth mansion. It was that good.

Richie

Some ripped Music I want on some retro levels so they aren't stuck with 2-3 songs.

Luigi's Mansion:
Haunted Towers

Delphino Plaza:
Move the NSMB Theme to the NSMB level
Replace with Mario and Sonic Delphino

Onett:
Onett. The 16 bit music will blend really nicely with the level and Onett should have Onett's theme
Fourside. Yes, this music is Fourside's theme. Do I care? No. It's a good song, and still Earthbound related.

Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Hightail Falls. A good song and nothing from the Yoshi Story maps works on this stage to bump the music count up.

Pokemon Stadium 2
Poke Cup (Pokemon Stadium 2). This song was one of my favorites as a kid. Also the Pokemon Stadiums have never actually had Pokemon Stadium music...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom