• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

Glad to see all the good taste in display.

I want that one too but, I'm trying not to be too optimistic considering we're getting this song as one of the tracks for the stage. It is a remix of Mario Kart song but still

In all fairness, Brawl's own Mario Circuit had three songs not from Mario Kart games (Mario Tennis/Mario Golf, Excite Truck and Title (3D Hot Rally). I'm hopeful because it was one of the songs they decided to showcase in Mario Kart Direct's musical segment.

Richie

guys

guys guys guys GUYS

what if this played on the wrecking crew stage

I'll welcome every single bit of representation this genuinely Wonderful game receives.

My dream is for there to be an unlockable Wonderful stage where this and other such musical gems play, with beautiful chaos and pandemonium going on in the background, while the Smashers have their own issues to take care of. Maybe one such stage is unlocked if you collect all of the Wonderful trophies? I want to believe!...

vixlar

Zubz

Banned
parappa_propaganda_by_blinkstale-d33enr5.png

But, like, is there any reason to? Sakurai seems content with Omega mode, and hell-bent on Roster Parity and never letting Ridley be playable despite being in every game so far. Unless Namco is even better than I thought, and unbelievably fast with DLC (Because I don't think Nintendo realizes it hurts them if Melee is still the Smash game at EVO, especially if they're going to call Smash U the 5th game. The characters are balanced, so really, we just need that Toggle!)

Seriously though, Punch Out music is like the hypest music ever. It just makes you want to punch someone. The fact that they can remix a song a dozen times in the same game and not have it be stale impresses me to no end.

The thing about the Mario Kart 8 Mario Circuit stage I just realized. Mario Kart 8 Music is going to be in the game
Hope Electrodrome is in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG76TYOQ_08

Some ripped Music I want on some retro levels so they aren't stuck with 2-3 songs.

guys

guys guys guys GUYS

what if this played on the wrecking crew stage

You're all killing it with the song suggestions! Seriously, I'm really hoping we just get, like, a majority of Mario Kart 8's OST in this game. And it's still weird that the pleasant Onett theme hasn't been used on, well, Onett yet.

Only thing I can disagree with is Tables Turn... Not because it doesn't fit (It totally does), but because I really want there to be a Wonderful 101 stage. I know we're screwed over on a character, but if Yoshi's Wooly World can get a stage, the beauty that is W101 should get one, too!

EDIT:
3D World is also another game where an unaltered rip of the credits theme would still be a worthy addition to the soundtrack. Perhaps they'll put it on the unlockable Bowser World stage.

Missed a major one!

Darn it, I was really hoping Kalos Pokemon League would be tournament legal. :(

I'm there with you, Trick Room. I will keep mentioning that Toggle until my Toggle-related needs are sated. ... Or it gets old and I forget about it, although there'd still be a lingering disappointment inside.

vixlar

Yes, and this song has all the new themes I think, so it's a good choice. I also love it, haha. But, as one hundred posts said before me, Dolphin Shoals is the song of all time or something. Really special.

Oh yes. Dolphin Shoals could be great, but with all the instrumental changes.

if any mario kart 8 music gets in im hoping for Shy Guy Falls and Dolphin Shoals.

maybe the mario kart level will have variations for different tracks..?

But, like, is there any reason to? Sakurai seems content with Omega mode, and hell-bent on Roster Parity and never letting Ridley be playable despite being in every game so far. Unless Namco is even better than I thought, and unbelievably fast with DLC (Because I don't think Nintendo realizes it hurts them if Melee is still the Smash game at EVO, especially if they're going to call Smash U the 5th game. The characters are balanced, so really, we just need that Toggle!)

I'm optimistic about some things, and one of those things is a hazard-toggle.

If you're worried about it so much, you could start a petition (I've seen one work before).

Despite what some people would think, Sakurai does listen to his fans, at least, as much as he can (still ticked about Ganondorf), so if the demand for a hazard-toggle is loud enough, maybe he'll consider it for a patch, or DLC.

As for Ridley, I genuinely believe he has a shot at either DLC, or, if not that, then in the sequel.

He went from a cameo - to a trophy - to a boss (x2) - to the most elaborate, and debatebly awesome stage boss.

He keeps getting promoted each game it seems, plus, he has a lot of things it would take to be a playable character. They're practically a 1/5th of the way done.

Most people wouldn't agree, but hey, like I said, I'm optimistic.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Too bad all the Yoshi stages are cutesy, I want the Mini-Boss theme from Yoshi's Island!

Xux

Too bad all the Yoshi stages are cutesy, I want the Mini-Boss theme from Yoshi's Island!
I want the Big Boss and Bowser battle themes, too. I wonder why they avoid Yoshi's Island music so much 'cause it's so good.
Probably Kondo being modest and wanting the newer people to take over.

Zubz

Banned
I'm optimistic about some things, and one of those things is a hazard-toggle.

If you're worried about it so much, you could start a petition (I've seen one work before).

Despite what some people would think, Sakurai does listen to his fans, at least, as much as he can (still ticked about Ganondorf), so if the demand for a hazard-toggle is loud enough, maybe he'll consider it for a patch, or DLC.

As for Ridley, I genuinely believe he has a shot at either DLC, or, if not that, then in the sequel.

He went from a cameo - to a trophy - to a boss (x2) - to the most elaborate, and debatebly awesome stage boss.

He keeps getting promoted each game it seems, plus, he has a lot of things it would take to be a playable character. They're practically a 1/5th of the way done.

Most people wouldn't agree, but hey, like I said, I'm optimistic.

Optimism tends to lead to disappointment far more than pessimism. That's the way I see it, at least, especially in regards to a game that can shoot up one's hype to unrealistic levels.

As for the petitions? The only ones I've seen work were the ones that brought back Family Guy back in 2003, and look what happened there... I do throw in concerns in Club Nintendo surveys though, because let's face it, that's really all they're good for since the coins mean nothing in the US, so I may shoehorn it in on tangentially-related surveys like the Mario Kart one that's expiring soon for me, since that has DLC I'm worried about, too (Classic Racers being shafted for all 7 Koopalings separately, 5 babies, 2 T-1000s, and 2 Furry variants of the same 2 T-1000'd characters, specifically). That's the only meaningful outlet I can think of.

And a sequel's too far away; honestly, I wish we would have had Ridley back in 2007. The only reason to believe he'll get into a sequel is if Sakurai's serious about SSB4 being his last one, and again, that sequel's coming out in the 2020's. And like you said about Ganondorf, Sakurai does things if he feels they fit more than if the fans want it. Is that a good idea? Totally. But the thirst for Ridley is too strong to deny anymore, and Nintendo seemed at least seemed kinda-serious about getting this game a competitive scene. Having Melee continue to be the game they show off at EVO doesn't help in that regard. The characters are balanced, but without that toggle, I fear they're going to keep playing the 13-year old game competitively while the newer game, 2-3 iterations later, gets nothing.

Xux

He must like it a lot more than Link Between Worlds or even Kirby Triple Deluxe
since both of them got zero trophies while YNI got one.
Toon Link got a LBW color, though, didn't he? And Triple Deluxe is a little newer and Kirby's new Final Smash is from Return to Dreamland.

Optimism tends to lead to disappointment far more than pessimism. That's the way I see it, at least, especially in regards to a game that can shoot up one's hype to unrealistic levels.

As for the petitions? The only ones I've seen work were the ones that brought back Family Guy back in 2003, and look what happened there... I do throw in concerns in Club Nintendo surveys though, because let's face it, that's really all they're good for since the coins mean nothing in the US, so I may shoehorn it in on tangentially-related surveys like the Mario Kart one that's expiring soon for me, since that has DLC I'm worried about, too (Classic Racers being shafted for all 7 Koopalings separately, 5 babies, 2 T-1000s, and 2 Furry variants of the same 2 T-1000'd characters, specifically). That's the only meaningful outlet I can think of.

And a sequel's too far away; honestly, I wish we would have had Ridley back in 2007. The only reason to believe he'll get into a sequel is if Sakurai's serious about SSB4 being his last one, and again, that sequel's coming out in the 2020's. And like you said about Ganondorf, Sakurai does things if he feels they fit more than if the fans want it. Is that a good idea? Totally. But the thirst for Ridley is too strong to deny anymore, and Nintendo seemed at least seemed kinda-serious about getting this game a competitive scene. Having Melee continue to be the game they show off at EVO doesn't help in that regard. The characters are balanced, but without that toggle, I fear they're going to keep playing the 13-year old game competitively while the newer game, 2-3 iterations later, gets nothing.

I don't get disappointed easily, so there's no major drawback to my optimism.

As for petitions, you never really know until you try. There's probably a better solution, but my brain is kind of dead right now.

Also, we're getting Mewtwo, so we are getting somewhere in terms of requested characters. I do hope that Sakurai explains why Ganondorf is still a clone though.

Sakurai knows how popular Ridley is, he'll get his chance someday.

Golnei

Oh yeah, the intro cinematic didn't feature Dawk Hawnt's snippets right?

No. Everything shown was from Wii U starter characters.

Also, we're getting Mewtwo, so we are getting somewhere in terms of requested characters. I do hope that Sakurai explains why Ganondorf is still a clone though.

He's aware of fan concerns, but it's not something he slavishly follows. Boss Ridley and Clone Ganondorf are things which are apparently intrinsic parts of his 'vision', and if they haven't changed by now, they're not likely to in any future installments.

Oh, okay; I haven't really followed either, lol. Still Kirby's Final Smash makes me think he likes the new Kirby games plenty, I guess?

The only Kirby game he actively disliked was Kirby 64, enough to specifically order Koji Hayama to utterly destroy '0² Battle'.

I don't get disappointed easily, so there's no major drawback to my optimism.

As for petitions, you never really know until you try. There's probably a better solution, but my brain is kind of dead right now.

It's obvious that Sakurai knows people want Ridley as a a playable character. That's why Ridley is the boss character that is closest to a a playable fighter (he even gives you points for koing him). He's obviously too big to work as a playable fighter (seriously), so Sakurai gave us the next best thing.

He's aware of fan concerns, but it's not something he slavishly follows. Boss Ridley and Clone Ganondorf are things which are apparently intrinsic parts of his 'vision', and if they haven't changed by now, they're not likely to in any future installments.

Things change in time, and Sakurai does change his mind quite a bit. He doesn't need to do anything, but he does enjoy making his fans/ people happy.

The Smash fanbase grows as time moves on, and it seems the fan demand for Ridley & a better Ganondorf has been increasing with each installment. You also have to take in potential LoZ and Metroid games in the future.

EDIT: WHY AM I TOP PAGE!?!?
I like how mentioning Ridley immediately gets people's attention. lol

DooD1234

So I been watching a few Smash 3DS tournaments from The Japanese competitive scene and I have to say they seem to have no problem with the FD only stages lol. They literally only play on FD. I wonder how they feel about platforms.

Welp, nevermind I watching them play battlefield for the first time lol. But that the first that I seen them play on battlefield.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'd be okay with NES Ridley, or even a shrunken SM Ridley. It may look weird but hey I'll take what I can get.

Sadomasochist Ridley in bondage gear, gagged and chained?

Hmm...it's unorthodox, certainly, but I'd take it over nothing.

Zubz

Banned
Things change in time, and Sakurai does change his mind quite a bit. He doesn't need to do anything, but he does enjoy making his fans/ people happy.

The Smash fanbase grows as time moves on, and it seems the fan demand for Ridley & a better Ganondorf has been increasing with each installment. You also have to take in potential LoZ and Metroid games in the future.

EDIT: WHY AM I TOP PAGE!?!?
I like how mentioning Ridley immediately gets people's attention. lol

Yeah. This entire matter's gotten rather Ridley-culous.

I know you're joking, but at this point? I am getting kind of desperate...

ugoo18

So I been watching a few Smash 3DS tournaments from The Japanese competitive scene and I have to say they seem to have no problem with the FD only stages lol. They literally only play on FD. I wonder how they feel about platforms.

I'll be so glad to move onto the WiiU version just so that i can play on non FD stages again. The screen size, resolution and general nature of Smash pretty much forced me to play FD only exclusively because keeping track of things on the 3DS screen in 4p (Sometimes in 1v1 depending on the stage) was like a battle of its own at times.

Golnei

I'll be so glad to move onto the WiiU version just so that i can play on non FD stages again. The screen size, resolution and general nature of Smash pretty much forced me to play FD only exclusively because keeping track of things on the 3DS screen in 4p (Sometimes in 1v1 depending on the stage) was like a battle of its own at times.

That'll be a relief for me as well - stages like Spirit Train and Dreamland can get a little unmanageable at times due to the screen size. Though I'm also looking forward to reliving the experience of barely being able to tell where your character is through the Great Cave Offensive and Palutena's Temple.

If you're familiar with Metroid's deeper lore, he actually has more of a preference for cosplay and roleplaying.

RidleyShota3.png

RomanceDawn

I'm going to go on a Ridley crusade for a little while. I will post on Miiverse, Facebook and Twitter once a day on the official channels asking if Ridley was ever considered to be a playable fighter and why. I'll add a link to to each that way if you want you can yeah it, like it, or piggy back off of it with your own comment hopefully in support of mine.

I just want to hear Sakurai's thoughts on the subject. And a nice peaceful passive crusade might get someone's attention.

Tesseract

Banned
I'm going to go on a Ridley crusade for a little while. I will post on Miiverse, Facebook and Twitter once a day on the official channels asking if Ridley was ever considered to be a playable fighter and why. I'll add a link to to each that way if you want you can yeah it, like it, or piggy back off of it with your own comment hopefully in support of mine.

I just want to hear Sakurai's thoughts on the subject. And a nice peaceful passive crusade might get someone's attention.

do you need a hug?

Qurupeke

Hello SmashGAF. After watching the Direct, I can only say that the Wii U version will truly be the best installement of the series. Kind of funny that there were quite a few people arguing that the 3DS version is the "true" one.

And hello WeendSmashGAF...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom