• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Switch Announced! Would you prefer a 3DS+Wii U port?

2018 Release Date

Official Site: http://www.smashbros.com/en_US/index.html

Announcement Trailer:

No additional details revealed so I pose the question to you, which would you prefer?

A port based on the Wii U engine that included all the content in the 3DS Verison, a rich long platforming mode (Super Subspace Emissary) and all the characters in the Wii U game, all the DLC, plus a dozen or so new characters (Splatoon Girl, Ice Climbers, Arms Girl, Rabbid etc) and a dozen new levels? It would of course include all the content (all DLC and 3DS exclusive modes and stages).

Or a brand new game built from scratch over the past two years that has a new engine but no where nearly as much content as we would get if they instead used the two years to combine all the content from the Wii U, the 3DS, all the DLC and just added some modes/characters/levels?

PS: Regardless of which route they go, they absolutely need to include the 8 player mode from the Wii U, support for Wii U Pro Controller, and an expanded Smash Run mode.

I really want to see a much longer and more expanded Smash Run and/or a rich long Super Subspace Emissary mode.

The 8 player mode was amazing and absolutely the best thing about the Wii U version imo. All the most devout Nintendo fans already played the crap out of Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U but if and only if they add on enough new additional content, another purchase is justifiable.

Last edited:
Inkling and BotW Link! Wooo!

C'mon Sawano and Isaac!!! Let's go!

Don't care if new/port. We getting new characters!

buizel

Banned
...this is a 3DS/Wii U 'deluxe' edition. No i dont have proof or evidence but when it comes out you'll see im right :p

As long as Bayonetta's still there, and we get a cool game mode (unlike the exclusive one Wii U got, Smash Run on 3DS was pretty fun), preferably a expanded Adventure Mode from Melee, and a traditional classic mode would be nice too, I'll be happy. With Inklings all my favorite Nintendo characters will be there.....well except Midna.:(

TrainedRage

Banned
I assume it will be like they did with Mario Kart 8, add all DLC, maybe new characters or new level and update the graphics for the Switch. The online multiplayer needs to be flawless IMO

buizel

Banned
I assume it will be like they did with Mario Kart 8, add all DLC, maybe new characters or new level and update the graphics for the Switch. The online multiplayer needs to be flawless IMO

i have such little doubt of that though. nintendo just cant do online properly, every time they make a game where its a focus its full of connection issues - splatoon, smash, zelda 3ds.

smash wii was so laggy its unplayable
smash 3ds was so laggy its unplayable
smash wii u was so laggy its unplayable

the delay with controller input is very important. just look at 'brawlhalla' a FREE SMASH CLONE on ps4, played it like 5 times max but there is so so little input lag it makes smash look ridiculous with how smooth it plays (and i like smash >>>>>> brawlhalla but still)

Locks:
Squid Kids
BotW Champions as assist trophies
Cappy as a power-up

Likely:
ARMS character(s) as Newcomer(s)

Whishful thinking:

Crash Bandicoot guest character

Fbh

I'd prefer a new game since I already got Smash WiiU 4 years ago at full price and I have no interest in a $60 port even if it includes new Characters

i have such little doubt of that though. nintendo just cant do online properly, every time they make a game where its a focus its full of connection issues - splatoon, smash, zelda 3ds.

smash wii was so laggy its unplayable
smash 3ds was so laggy its unplayable
smash wii u was so laggy its unplayable

the delay with controller input is very important. just look at 'brawlhalla' a FREE SMASH CLONE on ps4, played it like 5 times max but there is so so little input lag it makes smash look ridiculous with how smooth it plays (and i like smash >>>>>> brawlhalla but still)

This.

Smash for WiiU is one of the few games I've regretted purchasing at full price. I got it mainly to play online with both friends and randoms and no matter what I did or who I played with it was literally unplayable.

Joke all you want about Playstation All Stars Battle Royale but at least that shit was playable online

buizel

Banned
I was under the impression this is being made by HAL instead of bamco

Yeah, my words are just speculation but i believe HAL may have had input, it still builds off the base game of Smash 4. Didnt HAL have anything to do with smash 4 anyway? Musta been some sorta crossover.. ?

Last edited:

royox

I played +400h on Smash WiiU+3ds so I won't get this if it's another stupid port even with new characters.

iconmaster

Banned
If this were a ground-up new game we wouldn't be getting it in 2018. It's Smash 4 DX. It'll sell amazingly well.

jwillenn

-prefer Smash 5
-would purchase Smash 4 with overhauled online mode and other content (would prefer (if 4) that + combat mechanics remix such as balancing custom specials into a core gauge mechanic that allows access to all moves through meter spending)
-will not purchase Smash 4 port with same online mode experience, regardless of new characters (the Smash 4 DLC extension)

I'm ok either way, take my money! but if Nintendo was doing it as an all new Smash and did the Wii U Smash port as like a pre-order bonus or just threw it in just cause like getting Bayonetta 1 when you buy Bayonetta 2, I'd give them brownie points. I am so fucking amped that the Inklings from Splatoon are going to be in this, Nintendo wins today.

01DragonFly

I dont really care since I didn't bough a Wii U. I was one of those waiting for Zelda to release on the system , So I welcome every port .

Last edited:

Jezan

If Link gets a BotW costume and not just a recolor I want Samus to get her suits properly >:C
Fuck you Nintendo if you half ass it.

And please fix Shulk's moves or nerf all the other sword fighters to compensate.

Can we expect a F zero character so cap falcon isnt alone anymore? King K Rool? Ridley? Please no more FE characters

Last edited:

JimboJones

Nice to hear more single player content but on the other hand hopefully it doesn't suck like the shite we got in Brawl.

Narroo

The one thing I'm worried about is guest characters. I didn't buy the originals, so I'd like them to come back!

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Even if this is a port of the Wii+3DS version, I cannot wait.
...Just please make the online play great!

Yagami_Sama

I hope is a new game. I am getting tired of Wii U ports.

And that announcement trailer was epic. When I saw the inklings shooting each other like that I thought: "Uh? Splatoon ,spin off?" and the symbol on her eye explained everything. Pretty good.

At E3,probably they will show more content and a release date for the holiday Season, and with that Pokemon will be a 2019 title.

If playable Ridley: buy
If no playable Ridley: no buy
When Inkling girl looked up in shock and you saw the flames reflecting, I said to myself "Ridley about to wreck a Inkling!" except I didn't say Inkling. However that would have been too hype for Sakurai.

Last edited:
Now that my in-room multiplayer is at an all-time low, I need an elegant online solution for this to be worthwhile.
Brawl burned me. Smash U burned me. Smash isn't smash without trash talking.

Hilarion

I'm thinking Smash 4 Wii U with all Smash 4 3DS exclusive stages and music tracks included (and brought up to HD quality), as well as the Smash Run mode exclusive to Smash 4 3DS. Beyond that, a few extra characters (obviously starting with Inkling).

I'm thinking Smash 4 Wii U with all Smash 4 3DS exclusive stages and music tracks included (and brought up to HD quality), as well as the Smash Run mode exclusive to Smash 4 3DS. Beyond that, a few extra characters (obviously starting with Inkling).
I would be ok with this if it were a discount release.

But this is Nintendo and this at $60 is probably the best we can hope for.

I would be ok with this if it were a discount release.

But this is Nintendo and this at $60 is probably the best we can hope for.
This is there big holiday game, so it's 60$ no matter what it is. I mean they're charging 60$ for Tropical Freeze, a currently 20$ game that launched at 50$, and I won't be surprised if Captain Toad is the same, which originally released at 40$ (which is sure to be 3DS price).

Last edited:

shinkai

I would hope for Smash 5 over Smash 4 re-released. The teaser did show BOTW Link so I'm hoping that it is a new entry instead of a re-release. I'm also hoping that this game is made well enough to bring in the Melee crowd so that Melee can finally be put to rest. As much I love watching it at tourneys and EVO, it's getting old and needs to be let go already as the meta isn't changing and it's the same 4-5 characters in the Finals each year.

Codes 208

This is there big holiday game, so it's 60$ no matter what it is. I mean they're charging 60$ for Tropical Freeze, a currently 20$ game that launched at 50$, and I won't be surprised if Captain Toad is the same, which originally released at 40$ (which is sure to be 3DS price).
On top of tgat, expect the usual nintendo tax of discounts being virtually non-existent and price drops happening only once every 100 years

staen

I'm fine with this game being $60 if its 3ds+wii u content+all dlc+new content. Captain Toad better not be above $40 though.

I never see people mention the chorus kids anymore but they were the only characters from the very accurate gematsu leak that didn't make it in. Thinking because of the 3ds+wii u roster parity, they had to be cut like how the Ice Climbers were possibly cut. Since that is no longer a hurdle, I would love to see them make it in this time.

Geki-D

Banned
Looks like a good chunk of the cast is in the trailer:
Bros_cast.png

I'm fine with this game being $60 if its 3ds+wii u content+all dlc+new content. Captain Toad better not be above $40 though.

I never see people mention the chorus kids anymore but they were the only characters from the very accurate gematsu leak that didn't make it in. Thinking because of the 3ds+wii u roster parity, they had to be cut like how the Ice Climbers were possibly cut. Since that is no longer a hurdle, I would love to see them make it in this time.
Well gamestop just put Toad up for 40$.
https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/captain-toad-treasure-tracker/159776

Do you guys think Rex might be in Smash. I like to see him fight Shulk.
If they put in another Xenoblade character in the base game I would think Elma would make it before Rex since she's been around longer, and this game, assuming it is Smash 5 not Deluxe, would have had the base roster decided well before Chronicles 2 even released. Possible DLC candidate though since it was a successful game.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
Well gamestop just put Toad up for 40$.
https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/captain-toad-treasure-tracker/159776

If they put in another Xenoblade character in the base game I would think Elma would make it before Rex since she's been around longer, and this game, assuming it is Smash 5, would have had the base roster decided before Chronicles 2 even released. Possible DLC candidate though since it was a successful game.

There's no way Elma would be chosen over Rex. And I want Elma just to be clear.

There's no way Elma would be chosen over Rex. And I want Elma just to be clear.
Like I said, the roster would have probably been fully chosen before Chronicles 2 released, and they had no way of knowing how well Chronicles 2 would do based on the sales of previous games. It's why I highlighted base game and started with a if when mentioning Elma, Rex is obviously a prime DLC candidate. I don't think Sakurai has ever picked a character for base game Smash when the game would be released after character selection for base game was done has he?

woopWOOP

Whatever they'll do I'll buy it like sucker
Mostly a combination 3DS/WiiU port with few actual new things? Neat!
A bit less content that's mostly all new? Cool!
Like I said, the roster would have probably been fully chosen before Chronicles 2 released, and they had no way of knowing how well Chronicles 2 would do based on the sales of previous games. It's why I highlighted base game and started with a if when mentioning Elma, Rex is obviously a prime DLC candidate. I don't think Sakurai has ever picked a character for base game Smash when the game would be released after character selection for base game was done has he?
Yeah, anything Mario Galaxy was missing in Brawl for this reason. Might also be why they went with the Splatoon 1 inklings, tho I suppose they're more iconic than the Splatoon 2 bunch anyway so nevermind.

Still, I'd like Shulk, Elma and some sorta Rex/Pyra combi to all be playable if they go the "mostly new" route. I'll settle for a bunch of non-MCs like Fiora or Nia too. Just go the Fire Emblem route and add a shitload of those characters, ha

Vitacat

I'm expecting an enhanced WiiU port. And that's not a bad thing, even though I know some people would prefer a whole new game from scratch. But the WiiU Smash was already pretty damn great, and would be even better given the Switch's functionality.

Either way, I suck at the game, but I still enjoy it.

Last edited:
I want a new engine. The Wii U version felt so....floaty. I'm trying to say that the control over my character always felt loose. I prefer "tight" controls in my fighting games if that even makes any sense

No doubt the dpad will still be unusable, and the game will still be less responsive than average for taking place on a 2d field because "reasons".

Double tap to run -- now and always. To hell with analog stick-thrusting.

staen

No doubt the dpad will still be unusable, and the game will still be less responsive than average for taking place on a 2d field because "reasons".

Edit: Nvm. Wasn't really paying attention to what I was reading...

Last edited:

Ridcully

It would be better if they make something new versus an updated port. It'll drive more Switch adoption.

Quite the dramatic trailer, too.

Smasher89

Definitly prefer a new title, 4 is my by far least played entry (can thank the rage mechanic and patching out techniques for that). Labbing kill % with rage is a nightmare, not only with 50+ characters and different DI, but now also your own %, there is a reason close to every set you watch gets to last stock game 5(lack of viable kill moves/setups caused by rage).

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I want a new title so bad, but I doubt Sakurai is going to trump Smash 4 in 2018. Maybe if the release date was a few years later. Or maybe Sakurai will do a Melee > Brawl and use Smash 4 as a base. Melee came out 2 years after Smash 64, but Sakurai is getting older, and development is getting slower...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So where are people getting this "ballot result" that made them say "Oh K. Rool has many picks!"

I mean, they never used D-Pad for movement at all unless you count the Wii Remote control, and where did you pull that shit about unresponsive? Also the series actually has three movement speeds - walk, run and dash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom