• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Do they take what overseas fans like into serious consideration? Or is it basically Japan that decides that sort of stuff? Luckily I'm all for Mewtwo and Palutena. I would really like to see Little Mac too though. Ridley I've just kinda given up hope on.

I really hate the waiting game. I just want to know the full roster already.

It's generally Japan calling the shots. No choice. Everything is fixed.

Do they take what overseas fans like into serious consideration? Or is it basically Japan that decides that sort of stuff? Luckily I'm all for Mewtwo and Palutena. I would really like to see Little Mac too though. Ridley I've just kinda given up hope on.

Considering Sakurai plays western games I wouldn't be surprised if he listens to everyone.

Roo

Wow, I can't stand the main page right now.
Doom Nintendo threads here, there and everywhere.
I'm in home now :)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Question, I main Lucas and while I do well enough and have fun, theres only so much I can do, what are other characters with a similar playstyle? (Ness doesnt count)

Regarding that magazine poll on the last page, from what I understand it's from some monthly Nintendo-centric magazine that every issue allows people to vote on who their favorite character that appears on Nintendo hardware is.

There's also a photo of the results of the August 2013 issue, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it.

We've all just accepted Pac Man as a disappointing inevitability based off of that one guys pre E3 prediction list and to a lesser extent Namco's involvement with this game and are now doing our best to rationalise his addition because he's iconic or something and maybe he can eat people.

Only half joking.

I personally like the idea of pacman and I am confident that the team can come up with something that be true to his games. He belongs in this game and with his inclusion we can finally have a sonic vs mario vs pacman vs megaman.

I hope EVERYONE'S watching the Apex stream right now. The Ganon/Falco match on VGBootcamp is hyper than life itself.

seconding this, tune into the hype!

Digging around I was able to find this, which Sakurai retweeted:

http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/news/first_official_survey_of_characters_for_next_smash_bros

mFtml7d.jpg

I think he just retweeted it because it has so many Kid Icarus characters though.

Viridi over Waluigi?
*nods head*

*sees Waluigi over Palutena*
WTF JAPAN

No. Desperate Ridley/Little Mac/Mike Jones/other big-in-America character fans invented the myth that Sonic is unpopular in Japan to fit their narrative that Sakurai cares a lot about America. As shown in the photo above, Sonic ranked 15th in Famitsu's 2012 character poll.

like I said, delusion rules the day

Azure J

seconding this, tune into the hype!

Viridi over Waluigi?
*nods head*

*sees Waluigi over Palutena*
WTF JAPAN

LOL

No. Desperate Ridley/Little Mac/Mike Jones/other big-in-America character fans invented the myth that Sonic is unpopular in Japan to fit their narrative that Sakurai cares a lot about America. As shown in the photo above, Sonic ranked 15th in Famitsu's 2012 character poll.

Let the record show I'm a character whore and would never do something like this.

SmithnCo

Regarding that magazine poll on the last page, from what I understand it's from some monthly Nintendo-centric magazine that every issue allows people to vote on who their favorite character that appears on Nintendo hardware is.

There's also a photo of the results of the August 2013 issue, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it.

Do you know the name of the magazine? I'd like to see some of the results.

Village

To be fair.

Sonic actually is unpopular in japan. It isn't really a myth. They don't buy his stuff.

Despite this , they like shadow the hedgehog and blaze over there.

Japan is weird.

DaBoss

Ranked in a poll for characters in a magazine for a small niche audience.

Sonic isn't popular in Japan as evidenced by the lack of sales for Sonic games. Trying to argue otherwise with proof of small polls is not going to prove otherwise.

People would want him for the Mario vs Sonic thing.

kunonabi

I personally like the idea of pacman and I am confident that the team can come up with something that be true to his games. He belongs in this game and with his inclusion we can finally have a sonic vs mario vs pacman vs megaman.

while pacman does have lasting appeal he's really from an era that predates what Smash is celebrating. mario vs mega man vs simon vs sonic is a much more fitting battle really. i'd much rather have Klonoa than pacman but we all know that isn't happening.

Village

At least they understand who the superior hedgehog is.

While I agree, they also like silver over there. So while shadow is a popular character world wide they have added him to the main set of sonic characters , japan kinda just claims silver. Japan is weird, I have a japanese friend who i talk to on other sites and he also likes sonic. I had asked him about the situation, he said sonic isn't very cool.

I dunno how it works over there.

Do you know the name of the magazine? I'd like to see some of the results.

After just simply reading the katakana in the upper left corner and doing a search I found out that it's Nintendo Dream, basically Japan's equivalent to Nintendo Power.

Still not sure if it's allowed to post an image of the Aug. 2013 results so I'll just post them directly:

1. Luigi: 213
2. Kirby: 176
3. Mario: 166
4. Link: 149
5. Isabelle: 132
6. Pikachu: 120
7. Yoshi: 113
8. Hatsune Miku: 90
9. Pikmin: 85
10. Pit: 80
11. N: 71
12. Phoenix Wright: 63
13. Zelda: 60
14. Slime: 54
15. Bowser: 42
16. Toad: 39
17. Ike: 31
18. Peach: 28
19. Ness: 24
20. Chrom: 21

-Horizon-

While I agree, they also like silver over there. So while shadow is a popular character world wide they have added him to the main set of sonic characters , japan kinda just claims silver. Japan is weird, I have a japanese friend who i talk to on other sites and he also likes sonic. I had asked him about the situation, he said sonic isn't very cool.

I dunno how it works over there.

Silver? Ugh Japan I retract my previous good statement about you.

And I just noticed Lucina didn't even rank on that poll. You're doing it wrong people who voted in that magazine.

After just simply reading the katakana in the upper left corner and doing a search I found out that it's Nintendo Dream, basically Japan's equivalent to Nintendo Power.

Still not sure if it's allowed to post an image of the Aug. 2013 results so I'll just post them directly:

1. Luigi: 213
2. Kirby: 176
3. Mario: 166
4. Link: 149
5. Isabelle: 132
6. Pikachu: 120
7. Yoshi: 113
8. Hatsune Miku: 90
9. Pikmin: 85
10. Pit: 80
11. N: 71
12. Phoenix Wright: 63
13. Zelda: 60
14. Slime: 54
15. Bowser: 42
16. Toad: 39
17. Ike: 31
18. Peach: 28
19. Ness: 24
20. Chrom: 21
These people know whats up. And yet again, Chrom and Ike. Wonder how much of an impact Chrom and Lucina's apperance in Monster Hunter will be?

SmithnCo

The year of Luigi worked.

Also I wonder if Isabelle will be an assist due to her popularity. We know it's either that or hazard but it would be cool if she could show up in WiiU via assist.

Berordn

The year of Luigi worked.

Also I wonder if Isabelle will be an assist due to her popularity. We know it's either that or hazard but it would be cool if she could show up in WiiU via assist.

She's popped up enough on the promotional material that I'd be pretty surprised if she didn't have a more sizable role than just being a random background character.

But at the same time I have trouble thinking of what it is she might do.

Masked Man

I said wow
Viridi higher in the poll then Palutena. Viridi confirmed for Smash. Palutena for background stage effect.

I went to a talk event when Sakurai released two books a year or two ago, and I'm pretty sure he mentioned that Viridi was his favorite character in the game. (The voice actress, Makiko Omoto--also the voice of Kirby, made a guest appearance and said a few lines from KI:U.)

Growlie19

She's popped up enough on the promotional material that I'd be pretty surprised if she didn't have a more sizable role than just being a random background character.

But at the same time I have trouble thinking of what it is she might do.

If she does appear as an assist, she could replace Will Wright's building summoning attack, but replace generic buildings with public works projects. Or she could use ordinances to change up the battle. Boom Bell could increase item frequency, Early Bird and Night Owl could brighten and darken the stage respectively, and Beautiful Town (being the dud) just adds flowers to the stage that don't affect gameplay.

SmithnCo

If she does appear as an assist, she could replace Will Wright's building summoning attack, but replace generic buildings with public works projects. Or she could use ordinances to change up the battle. Boom Bell could increase item frequency, Early Bird and Night Owl could brighten and darken the stage respectively, and Beautiful Town (being the dud) just adds flowers to the stage that don't affect gameplay.

Alternatively, Beautiful Town could add the flower head effect to opponents.

I like to know as well, since it seems that the only dates he cares about is japan's dates, considering him skipping americas release date for japans.

Funny how the top 3 Fire Emblem characters are Marth, Ike and Chrom. Although Gaius placing up there is pretty surprising.
It's relieving since, while it probably doesn't have that much sway to Sakurai, I simultaneously want Ike to stay but also get a rep from the only FE game I've played so far.

SuperSah

Banned
All because Sakurai retweeted a magazine, it doesn't mean the characters are gonna be in SSB4.

Some of this pre-release hype goes waay too far, lol.

Top Bottom