• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Synless

Anyone want to explain where they are standing on this pic?

Compare it to this:
daily-2013-06-17.jpg

Open it in a new tab or whatever and zoom in. There is no place like that they can be standing in that have the trees like that.

Maybe there is a camera angle that can make the shot look like the trees behind, but that would require it to not be profile shots.

And one does not need to rip out models using an image, they can use videos: http://youtu.be/vQD1yJinzeQ?t=44s
The sky in that picture tells me it is a different stage.

weaKwillO

In a lighter note, I am glad that there are individuals who are dedicated enough to see if rumors and leaks are real or fake for those who would like to but don't have the time or resources. As it is too easy to hype these things up without conviction. Keep at it internet.

Masked Man

I said wow
Hm... If these are fake, then they're certainly convincing. I can see the camera angle being adjusted to show the trees in that position, but the fact that the two characters could not be in profile raises a new point of contention. So confusing!
wtzgU.gif

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
What do you guys think of the new mechanic that was revealed today?

Great! It not only helps out characters with awful recoveries (Link / Olimar), it adds a layer of depth to edge-hogging and guarding, and it also appears to have countered ledge-stalling and "planking" tactics used in tournaments (abuse of the ledge's invincibility frames via re-grabbing it constantly to stall).

Great! It not only helps out characters with awful recoveries (Link / Olimar), adds a layer of depth to edge-hogging and guarding, but it also appears to have countered ledge-stalling and "planking" tactics used in tournaments (abuse of the ledge's invincibility frames via re-grabbing it constantly to stall).

I love it myself. It should make for some exciting matches.

3. I definitely think they would zoom it to show any character on the 3DS version, but the angle you're saying seems too random and specific when the leaker can just straight up zoom in and show the character.

Though I'm not very interested in arguing the mindset behind why someone would take a shot at any given angle, my assumption is that the camera might skew up/down a bit to show characters better by default.

How high up they are in the stage, zoom level, how many chars the camera is focussing on all have influence on how a shot is taken in smash.

I'm not saying there's no way it could be fake, but I don't think the angle it's taken at is particularly damning.

Platy

Now for pic #2:
luigi-screen-10.jpg

This one is the most "palutena is fake" image for me.

Mario's cap on the palutena pic has such a SMOOTH border that the line makes a perfect curve, which is NOT what happens in this oficial pic

edit :
ImageEdited is saying both pictures are fake, but I'm not sure how reliable the site is. Download the images and upload to check for yourself.

Probably would not work since the PICTURE is real.
The person REALLY took a pic of the 3ds showing that image.

...unless the person photoshoped the 3ds screen effects on the image .... because then this person would probably some kind of Photoshop God

Spiderduff

With all this Palutena talk I realized something that I sadly did not realize. This was me reaction today while sitting at my desk at work:

Wait a minute. Pits lady friend is named Palutena? I've been calling her Pauleta. Why didn't someone tell me? Oh, I've been making an idiot out of myself!

emb

Do we have more 3DS pictures of characters (or assist trophies) holding things? The way the hand and staff display in the first picture seems really off. I know we've seen some goofy clipping stuff with clothing and things before, so I could believe it.

Mario's cap on the palutena pic has such a SMOOTH border that the line makes a perfect curve, which is NOT what happens in this oficial pic

edit :

Probably would not work since the PICTURE is real.
The person REALLY took a pic of the 3ds showing that image.

...unless the person photoshoped the 3ds screen effects on the image .... because then this person would probably some kind of Photoshop God

That's true. It would be easier to just Photoshop an image and then display it using the 3DS image viewer.

DaBoss

I'm sorry for extending the whole Palutena discussion, it's my cynicism getting me. I think the update is really interesting.
Though I'm not very interested in arguing the mindset behind why someone would take a shot at any given angle, my assumption is that the camera might skew up/down a bit to show characters better by default.

How high up they are in the stage, zoom level, how many chars the camera is focussing on all have influence on how a shot is taken in smash.

I'm not saying there's no way it could be fake, but I don't think the angle it's taken at is particularly damning.
I see, it is a fruitless argument since we can't really prove each other right or wrong.

Pokemon leaks for X/Y has made me weary lol.
I don't believe it's real, but I do believe Palutena will be playable in the game anyway.
Yea, same here.
ImageEdited is saying both pictures are fake, but I'm not sure how reliable the site is. Download the images and upload to check for yourself.
I doubt that would be useful. The image was definitely taken of a 3DS having those Palutena stuff on it. The question is is that in-game, or are they just images on the 3DS to make it look real.
Do we have more 3DS pictures of characters (or assist trophies) holding things? The way the hand and staff display in the first picture seems really off. I know we've seen some goofy clipping stuff with clothing and things before, so I could believe it.
The outlines are making it a bit hard to tell whether it is clipping or not. That is probably what is throwing you off.

Yea, I noticed it seemed to be perfectly round, but I gave the benefit of the doubt that the model was improved.

I'm going to do a frame-by-frame of the Direct footage to see if the Mario model matches up exactly at any point. I think this will determine the validity of the leak.

Might take a while. :p

I'm just doing the close up part.

Well, I just examined each frame and there is no point in the footage where the model directly matches up with the model in the leak. The angle, positioning of the hands, etc. All different. I'm leaning toward.. real. Or a VERY good fake.

J@hranimo

Banned
D:

So this is what happens when I go to sleep "early": I miss the initial reaction of the edgehogging change AND now this very elaborate Palutena pic? It's looks too real, but at the same time a little off-putting. I want to believe though, I really do.

I think so but I don't remember. I'm saying that it could be from same creator but this time, he learned his lesson and corrected his mistakes.

That leak looks wildly worse than the Palutena leak, though. With that one you can tell almost immediately. The Palutena one has me closely examining and I'm not seeing much that invalidates it.

Nia

Palutena would be a welcome addition, but I'm not going to put any stock into this supposed leak. I would need to see confirmation from Sakurai himself.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
And weren't these disproven pretty quickly?

Yep. Brawl models, odd shadows (with none for Ness), inconsistencies with the outlines, and parts of the background was also traced back to a 3DS shot with Fox, I believe.

There was someone who created an image detailing all the flaws with the Ness / Jigglypuff shot on SmashBoards, and that same guy has actually spoken about the Palutena shot, I believe saying that it looks pretty realistic.

Who just takes pictures this day and age? If someone was gonna leak shit, there would be video.

Coming off of the XY leaks last year and around the time it was released I have to say I have learned 2 things ...

1- Never doubt how cruddy a leak pic can be. These pics are AMAZING compared to the legit shit we got back then..

2- Never 100% trust a leaker's rumors. If the leaker is actually the one calling this an AT I would say that that's just a smoke screen to keep off the radar for the fact that they're revealing a character. I apply the same thought process to that leak list guy who called WFT and AC dude.

liveman789

Neo Member
The guy who photoshopped these images is having a freaking field day with you guys right now.

What did the original 4chan post even say? Has anyone tried contacting the dude to see how in came into possession of the pictures?

I'm just doing the close up part.

Well, I just examined each frame and there is no point in the footage where the model directly matches up with the model in the leak. The angle, positioning of the hands, etc. All different. I'm leaning toward.. real. Or a VERY good fake.

Hah, I already did the same thing. Came to the same conclusion.

Hah, I already did the same thing. Came to the same conclusion.

I noticed in the other thread!

I'm leaning toward real, but let's look at this objectively. Either someone with connections to Nintendo photographed a build of Smash Bros. 3DS and leaked it (this also assumes Palutena is a real playable character), or someone with very good photo editing skills put together a fake leak. Which one, in your opinion, is more likely? I'm not sure myself.

I noticed in the other thread!

I'm leaning toward real, but let's look at this objectively. Either someone with connections to Nintendo photographed a build of Smash Bros. 3DS and leaked it (this also assumes Palutena is a real playable character), or someone with very good photo editing skills put together a fake leak. Which one, in your opinion, is more likely? I'm not sure myself.

Not photo editing. That Palutena model isn't from anywhere. They would've had to somehow make it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The guy who photoshopped these images is having a freaking field day with you guys right now.

What did the original 4chan post even say? Has anyone tried contacting the dude to see how in came into possession of the pictures?

The original thread where leaker dropped the picture is gone for some reason.

Yeah, anyone have info about the context of the initial leak, or perhaps the thread from whence it originated?

4chan. According to few members, they said that it was dropped in Daily Picture thread, but the thread got erased so they made new thread on Palutena.

J-Tier

Not photo editing. That Palutena model isn't from anywhere. They would've had to somehow make it.
Person could have modeled it in a program. But for a fake leak, I don't think anyone would go to that length. So I'm erring towards possibly legit.

The idle stances instead of showing a variety of stuff is a tad weird though.

Photo editing AND 3D modeling skills, then. Not to mention the model fits in with the style of the game pretty damn well. If the photo were real and released as such, I wouldn't think it looked off or weird, which is why I'm leaning toward it being real.

Person could have modeled it in a program. But for a fake leak, I don't think anyone would go to that length. So I'm erring towards possibly legit.

The idle stances instead of showing a variety of stuff is a tad weird though.

She could be extremely early in development.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Pretty sure Palutena had a model in Brawl. It was probably ripped from that. On the notion it was real it could have been a beta phase shot.

liveman789

Neo Member
People also need to remember how easily hackable Brawl is, and that they could have made both of those models, as well as the background. Yeah, they'd be a job well done, but still.

Revven

People also need to remember how easily hackable Brawl is, and that they could have made both of those models, as well as the background. Yeah, they'd be a job well done, but still.

They wouldn't look nearly as professional looking as this screenshot is and furthermore, there would be obvious blemishes if it were made using Brawl's modtools.

Top Bottom