• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Clov

That's great! I was hoping Rainbow Road would end up being a stage. Hopefully the Wii U version has its own Rainbow Road stage too.

nns3d

Rainbow Road looks nice, would be awesome if it was similar to Mute City. Mute City was my favorite stage from Melee.

fisheyes

Thats 3 3DS stages hinted at but with only one screen shown, correct? Rainbow Road, the AC one, and the Find Mii one? Odd they keep teasing new ones but not fully revealing them. Meanwhile when was the last new WiiU stage we saw? Mario Galaxy?

SmithnCo

I must have missed something -- was it announced that both versions wouldn't have the same Mario Kart stages?

The stages are different between versions, the 3DS version has stages from portable games. They could just use rainbow road for WiiU too, or some MK8 track.

Fandangox

I must have missed something -- was it announced that both versions wouldn't have the same Mario Kart stages?

Aside from Battlefield there hasn't been a stage so far that is in both versions. Sakurai said the 3DS version would focus on stages from handheld games, while the Wii U version would focus on ones from console games.

I assume some like Battlefield and Final Destination will be in both.

Blizzard

Banned
The stages are different between versions, the 3DS version has stages from portable games. They could just use rainbow road for WiiU too, or some MK8 track.
Thanks, apparently I was just totally not paying attention to this. Makes sense with the handheld versus console games I guess!

Here is the 3DS pic:

daily.jpg

Looks like from Mario Kart 7.
oh shit

Toxi

Banned
What the fuck is going on with my computer, I'm just seeing the Rosalina Wii U image from yesterday.

I want to see Rainbow Road so bad.
I actually had a similar idea, but using a Pokemon Ranger instead. This way, it represents a fairly significant Pokemon spinoff series at the same time. The basic idea would be similar to that Rocket Grunt one, though - the Ranger itself would be playable, and use a bunch of tools from the games, and then Pokemon would be used for specials / smash attacks / etc.

Plus, as an added bonus, you could use these Rangers, with Pichu / Plusle / Minun on their shoulder, and bring back a veteran fighter / planned fighter in a brand new form.
Ooh, nice. Didn't know there was already a similar concept in the games (I've never played Pokemon Ranger). The only issue I see with Pichu, Plusle, and Minun is that they're all small electric rodents, and I think the point of Pokemon trainers should be having a variety of aesthetics to go along with the variety of Pokemon.
Yeah, he's a buff ass rooster with arms.
How does he look like a rooster? If anything, Prime 3 Meta Ridley is a toucan. Other M Ridley is a duck.

My favorite Ridley look is Metroid Prime. The head is the perfect shape, the tail is extra-long, and it isn't too muscled.

majik13

That ran on bluetooth right? What's stopping them from making a rechargable version that connects to Wii U? Is the GamePad or Wiimote bluetooth, I forget, one of them is. You have the sensor bar Nintendo, use it! XD

I think wavebird was a bit before bluetooth. Pretty sure it just used standard radio frequency, as you had to set channels to connect them. I think the wiimote and parts of gamepad are bluetooth though.

fisheyes

Ooh, nice. Didn't know there was already a similar concept in the games (I've never played Pokemon Ranger). The only issue I see with Pichu, Plusle, and Minun is that they're all small electric rodents, and I think the point of Pokemon trainers should be having a variety of aesthetics to go along with the variety of Pokemon.

I don't actually know much about the Pokemon Ranger games, so I'm not sure whether it would be accurate for them to use various tools and the like, but it seems to me it would fit. Also, I was thinking the electric rodent would appear with them constantly, and be used for a couple of attacks, but the specials / etc could still use a variety of different Pokemon, like you've suggested. As you've said, I think using a variety of Pokemon is key for a character like this.

jph139

Wow, new stage looks great - not that that's a surprise. I'm still curious about the last two 3DS stages teased, though...!

As for Pokemon - I have a weird gut feeling that if another "trainer" were to get in, it'd be N. I really don't like him much as a character, but he seems like he'd fit in pretty well, is a clear villain rep, and his "use whatever Pokemon are nearby" would lend itself to an interesting moveset along the lines of the Rocket Grunt. Not to mention an obvious Zekrom/Reshiram final smash.

Might be a bit too outdated/irrelevant at this point though.

Top Bottom