• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl S2 |OT| The Sky's the Limit - Mondays 8/7c on The CW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Martian Manhunter v Superman - Dawn of Aliens

The only thing that felt off for me was Superman being upset about the DEO keeping kryptonite on hand. I understand he's worried about his and Kara's life, but he has to understand that the world needs some type of safeguard against them going rogue. I mean Kara literally went rogue last season lol.

Especially since we've had iterations of Superman that give kryptonite to trusted allies so just there is that extra protection.

Sephzilla

Yeah, that's the only thing about Superman that felt off in that episode. Superman, if anything, would be happy that his allies have Kryptonite instead of his enemies.

strafer

So when do we get to see Wonder Woman?

Will Dean Cain ever return? I wanna see him and Superman in a scene together.

It's one of those #SupesIsWrong situations too, unfortunately. Considering Superman and Supergirl are both susceptible to things like mind control, plus a third Kryptonian just landed on the planet, there sort of needs to be Kryptonite on stand by in case something bad happens.
It's interesting how Kara knows they have kryptonite and just doesn't care. Also, Clark apparently has no problem with Kara working for the DEO, even doing nothing to persuade her that she should decline to work with them too. Seems like if he thinks the DEO's possession of kryptonite is a dealbreaker then he would try to get Kara out too.

Also thought the awed reaction to him setting foot on base was a bit odd considering everyone already saw him brought in as a disembodied boot at the end of last season, which was literally yesterday for the characters.

It's interesting how Kara knows they have kryptonite and just doesn't care. Also, Clark apparently has no problem with Kara working for the DEO, even doing nothing to persuade her that she should decline to work with them too. Seems like if he thinks the DEO's possession of kryptonite is a dealbreaker then he would try to get Kara out too.

Also thought the awed reaction to him setting foot on base was a bit odd considering everyone already saw him brought in as a disembodied boot at the end of last season, which was literally yesterday for the characters.

I think its more of a compliment to the less heavy-handed, and more realistic feminism of this season that Superman respects Kara enough to support her choices even if he disagrees with them.

Man... I can only speak for myself, but for me every benchmark for a Superman is, "Can I imagine him being the hero... of heroes?" and Tyler nailed it last night. This felt like the best depiction of Superman outside of the comics since Reeve, for me.

jph139

I think Superman holding a grudge makes sense when you go back 10+ years, when he's (as far as he knows) the only Kryptonian around and they've found the first chunk of Kryptonite in history. When your ally's first reaction is "hmm let's keep that 'murder Clark' rock around just in case," I can understand getting pissed.

Now that there's lots of it around and lots of bad guys who are vulnerable to it, though, it's a lot less reasonable.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Man... I can only speak for myself, but for me every benchmark for a Superman is, "Can I imagine him being the hero... of heroes?" and Tyler nailed it last night. This felt like the best depiction of Superman outside of the comics since Reeve, for me.

I expected a serviceable Superman. Good enough for a guest spot. But he exceeded my expectations. Clark Kent and Superman were done pitch perfect, especially for this show.

We got a charming Superman who is actively intelligent. I have zero complaints about his performance or 99% of the way he was written. His feud with Martian Manhunter seems a little contrived, but even that I can let slide if it gets them in each other's faces.

Nairume

Banned
The only thing that felt off for me was Superman being upset about the DEO keeping kryptonite on hand. I understand he's worried about his and Kara's life, but he has to understand that the world needs some type of safeguard against them going rogue. I mean Kara literally went rogue last season lol.

Especially since we've had iterations of Superman that give kryptonite to trusted allies so just there is that extra protection.
At the least, my own takeaway is that maybe Superman is taking more issue with how much of it they have on hand.

This is the staff at the other headquarters. The underground bunker people in season 1 were maybe used to it. :)

Effect

Supergirl does grow into that version, she just does it while more soon showing what makes her super.

That's why I said Superman. It's allowed with other characters but Superman is treated differently on this front. As soon as he has that costume he is suppose to be the experienced, confident, no mistakes version of the character. Anything other then that causes the "not my Superman" talk to start. When the discussions start the core issue is allowing Superman to be an actual character with development vs being a symbol and an ideal that is static. For some he must and only be the ideal. I think he can be that ideal and have real character development but I've found those that want him to just be that symbol are pretty loud.

I think Superman holding a grudge makes sense when you go back 10+ years, when he's (as far as he knows) the only Kryptonian around and they've found the first chunk of Kryptonite in history. When your ally's first reaction is "hmm let's keep that 'murder Clark' rock around just in case," I can understand getting pissed.

Now that there's lots of it around and lots of bad guys who are vulnerable to it, though, it's a lot less reasonable.
I'd have to review the mentions of it in early S1 but the DEO had known about Fort Rozz for quite some time prior to the start of the series. I think it's reasonable to conclude that Clark was also made aware at that time.

TreIII

Yeah, that's the only thing about Superman that felt off in that episode. Superman, if anything, would be happy that his allies have Kryptonite instead of his enemies.

That's the thing, though. The DEO, as much good as they do and stand for under J'onn's watch, is still a government body. And they could be co-opted or otherwise have their hands forced just because someone else higher up on the food chain says so. We just saw that kind of thing happen (briefly) with General Lane, last season, and I wouldn't be surprised this whole thing comes up again with Cadmus, next week (assuming the fact that they're just another secretly funded government agency rolls over here to this universe).

I feel Supe-baby has every right to give J'onn the side eye, even if the Martian is in the right, too. There's a difference between giving someone like Batman, a largely independent identity, the Kryptonite Ring and a government facility holding stores of weaponized Kryptonite.

Miley Cyrus criticizes Supergirl for having "girl" in the title.

I do appreciate that the article points out how the pilot episode tackled that question.

TqHLkPR.gif

Not to be that guy. But it bothers me how much the internet hates the character of felicity. When Arrows writing has always been terrible. Season 1 Laurel was terrible when she was the female lead. Ironically they somehow lucked into a pairing that worked and then started to screw with it for no reason. Particuly in season 3 when they introduced Daniel Shaw* to screw up what was working for cheep drama. However at that point the overall writing was in the toilet and the love intrest melodrama was what most watchers latched on to as the reason the show sucked. When it was a minor reason.

Yet in Jane the Virgin another modern era CW show its built around a love triangle and it works perfectly. Same for crazy ex girlfriend.

Felicity was a great character at first but once they started that bounce she immediately went down hill.

It's one of those #SupesIsWrong situations too, unfortunately. Considering Superman and Supergirl are both susceptible to things like mind control, plus a third Kryptonian just landed on the planet, there sort of needs to be Kryptonite on stand by in case something bad happens.

Superman doesn't like it being in control of the government. Seems like he would be OK with it in trusted individuals hands.

It was a good episode, and I think he plays a good enough superman. It doesn't take much to be a good superman in comparison to the dreariness of snyderverse Superman, who is void of anything resembling charm. Basically any iteration of Superman that isn't constantly bruiting is better by default and a more happy-go-lucky version of superman fits SuperGirl's world nicely.

Grizzlyjin

*reads article*

Translation: We don't know how to write interesting subplots that don't involve people in costume. Or we don't think that the audience would enjoy subplots that don't involve characters in costume.

That's cool though. You do you, Supergirl writers. Might as well go bonkers now that it's on The CW

jph139

Fingers crossed they have Jimmy burning through a secret identity a season. Maybe we'd get Turtle Boy by season five.

Gotchaye

Thats a fucking stupid complaint lol. If she actually watched the show they tackled this in the first episode.

Poorly. I mean, nobody's buying that the show is called "Supergirl" for any reason other than that this is a pre-existing character. As the producers said: “She’s Supergirl because she’s Supergirl." What happened in the first episode is that Kara had a perfectly reasonable complaint and a fictional character shut it down by saying that she didn't have a problem with it and she's the boss so that's that. I think it's totally understandable that someone who has no prior attachment to or even knowledge of the character would object to suddenly seeing a female version of Superman being called "Supergirl".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom