• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supermassive black hole 12 billion times larger than the sun detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super massive black holes are believed to grow as they absorb mass. As they absorb mass it is heated which creates an opposing force which pushes the mass away. Therefor it has a limit to how big it can grow. This discovery suggests that growth model isnt accurate.

We have no context to imagine the size of the sun let alone twice the size of the sun. 12 billion times? Is such a thing even possible.gif! I wonder if we will ever witness a black hole in person. Not falling into it but passively observing from a safe distance. It must be awe inspiring to know youre a few hundred kilometers from absolute annihilation.

Astronomers say they have have discovered a black hole so big that it challenges the theory about how they grow. Scientists said this black hole was formed about 900 million years after the Big Bang. But with measurements indicating it is 12 billion times the size of the sun, the black hole challenges a widely accepted hypothesis of growth rates. "Based on previous research, this is the largest black hole found for that period of time," Fuyan Bian, Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics, Australian National University (ANU), told Reuters on Wednesday. "Current theory is for a limit to how fast a black hole can grow, but this black hole is too large for that theory." The discovery was described in a study published Wednesday in Nature.

The creation of supermassive black holes remains an open topic of research. However, many scientists have long believed the growth rate of black holes was limited. Black holes grow, scientific theory suggests, as they absorb mass. However, as mass is absorbed, it will be heated creating radiation pressure, which pushes the mass away from the black hole. "Basically, you have two forces balanced together which sets up a limit for growth, which is much smaller than what we found," said Bian.

The black hole was discovered a team of global scientists led by Xue-Bing Wu at Peking University, China, as part of the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, which provided imagery data of 35 percent of the northern hemisphere sky. The ANU is leading a comparable project, known as SkyMapper, to carry out observations of the Southern Hemisphere sky. Bian expects more black holes to be observed as the project advances.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/spac...-black-hole-12-billion-times-size-sun-n312781

Floridian

iQGySLZYp47dN.gif

Log4Girlz

From the big bang to a black hole in 900 million years? That star didn't waste any time.

Actually many believe the early universe produced black holes very early on as some of the first stars were massive, and they can have lifetimes of just a few million years.

Lamel

Banned
Just for reference, it would take ~1.9 million copies of our entire solar system to fill that black hole in terms of diameter.

I'm pretty ignorant on modern astronomer methods. How do they determine how far away something is? And how can they determine how large something is? When it was formed, etc?

DarkFlow

Banned
Super massive black holes are believed to grow as they absorb mass. As they absorb mass it is heated which creates an opposing force which pushes the mass away. Therefor it has a limit to how big it can grow. This discovery suggests that growth model isnt accurate.

We have no context to imagine the size of the sun let alone twice the size of the sun. 12 billion times? Is such a thing even possible.gif! I wonder if we will ever witness a black hole in person. Not falling into it but passively observing from a safe distance. It must be awe inspiring to know youre a few hundred kilometers from absolute annihilation.

A safe distance would be too way to far for you see it.

Lamel

Banned
Uhh, I don't believe that figure.

Diameter of sun = 1,391,684 km

Diameter of solar system (to neptune) = ~9 billion km

(1,391,684 km * 12,000,000,000)/(9,000,000,000) = ~1.9 million.

Obviously a very rough approximation based off assumptions of it being a perfect circle and all that.

Do you all have the Astronomy Pic of the Day app? Love it. Usually change my phone background to updates. Highly suggest.

On topic: that's a big fucking hole

Log4Girlz

Obviously a very rough approximation based off assumptions of it being a perfect circle and all that.

But each doubling in diameter would be a quadrupling of volume if we discuss a hypothetical star of that mass not allowing for collapse into singularity.

But I'm a log

billeh

The study states that the mass of this black hole is 1.2 billion times that of the sun .. Black holes are extremely dense so it probably doesn't equal out to 1.2B diameters of the sun.

Lamel

Banned
The study states that the mass of this black hole is 1.2 billion times that of the sun .. Black holes are extremely dense so it probably doesn't equal out to 1.2B diameters of the sun.

The Nature article being quoted says solar mass. NBC just sucks at science.

Okay that makes sense, I just went off the article which said "size". It was just a fun little calculation.

Based off of solar mass, there have been larger black holes discovered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_massive_black_holes

But each doubling in diameter would be a quadrupling of volume if we discuss a hypothetical star of that mass not allowing for collapse into singularity.

But I'm a log

Yes you are.

KarmaCow

It says "size" in article, so that's what I went off of.

As far as I know there is no way to estimate the volume of the black hole itself. There is no known mechanism that would counter the crushing force of gravity at that magnitude so there is nothing to help estimate the size of the mass itself, we can only observe the range of its influence.

Raiden

Banned
I never understood why space is not more popular with the general public. You literally have the craziest incomprehensible stuff out there.

KarmaCow

I never understood why space is not more popular with the general public. You literally have the craziest incomprehensible stuff out there.

That's exactly why, it's completely foreign and unrelatable. What does 12 billion times the mass of the sun actually mean? Hell what does the mass of the sun mean?

The Schwarzschild's radius of a 12 billion solar mass sun would be about 36 billion kilometers.
This is about 8 times the distance from the sun to Neptune at its furthest.
About 5 times the distance from the sun to Pluto at its furthest.

Slavik81

As far as I know there is no way to estimate the volume of the black hole itself. There is no known mechanism that would counter the crushing force of gravity that would help estimate the size of the mass itself, we can only observe the range of its influence.

Well, the event horizon is probably a good boundary to use when measuring size.

Jedi2016

They neglected to mention where it is. Telling me you found something without bothering to say where you found it seems somewhat pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom