• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surfer girl nonsense, resistance and killzone fans go away please

After everything that Miyamoto said about Luigi's Mansion and "upgrading" GameCube games to use the Wii remote, (Mario Strikers, RE4, BWii, and rumored Killer 7) I'm going to be really surprised if the Wii's life ends without some form of remake or sequel.

I also refuse to believe there won't be a Wave Race Wii. 1080 I can believe since the sequel was a monster dud, even Excite Bike is believable (we got Excite Truck instead) but no Wave Race? I don't think so...

Busty

Banned
Surfer Girl said:
The Jet Moto series is alive in the same way a rock is. Twisted Metal has a future on that new console that ends with a 3.

Sufer Girl versus Shane..... FIIIGGHHHHHT!!!

Dascu

Visualante said:
Killer7 was debunked by Suda himself.
He actually expressed interest in doing a sequel, quite recently. A "Wiimake" would be very nice, as long as they expand the original game with story segments on the other characters.
(what am I saying, I'd buy it even if they don't add shit)

Mœbius

To all the people asking: "she" is right with some things, and wrong with others. I'm not going to bother going through them and listing them one-by-one here, but i'd say it's about 60/40 in "her" favour so to speak. Maybe a bit less - it's hard to determine some of them as they are a bit vague (and i'm assuming are simply educated guesses on "her" part).

Most of the ones "she" has got correct are common knowledge within the industry, and some of it is common knowledge with the press too - PR and product development people go out to events a lot and have loose mouths so stuff like this is shared. People usually don't speak about it publicly so they can stay in the loop.

besiktas1

I think most are educated guesses, then with more exposer people leak her with true shit. (PoP, HAMMER screens.)

Like heavy rain we saw 2 years ago didn't we? The makers of Fahrenheit, with the casting of a lady crying trailer.

BG&E was kind of confirmed, Shenmue they'd like to do... Hell I'd like to do a Halo MMO doesn't mean it's going to happen, then if it does, Huzzah I win.

Here's my 5 things.

1. Nintendo will bring out a new color of Wii in 2008.
2. The new Pro Evo is in works, trying to get online play w/ more than 2v2
3. EA's new boxings game is in the works, Not developed by EA Chicago.
4. Bizzare working on a new car racing game, for PS360.
5. Bungie is working on something other than Halo.

ksamedi

Fight Night Wii is not a rumor because the developer actually said that they were making a Wii version and they wanted people to sweat. Its actually my most anticipated 08 game.

[Nintex]

2) An Animal Crossing MMO would not see release outside of Japan, NoA and NoE are obstinate in only wanting limited online functionality in the title.
Bullshit NCL decides everything.
3) F-Zero is coming to Wii and possibly, but probably not, being developed by Monster Games (according to someone with a rather legimate email address).
Monster Games is she serious? Excite Truck was a great game but nowhere near the quality of F-zero GX. Excite Boat or Excite Truck 2 are much more likely, if any since the first game bombed.
5) No Wave Race, Luigi's Mansion's 2, Excitebike (it's called Nitrobike) or 1080 for Wii. Punch-Out for Wii, if it has gone beyond the prototype that was made last year, is a remake of the original NES title.
1080 is a no-brainer, NST cancelled Project H.A.M.M.E.R. to work on something else. 1080 for Wii Fitness Board.
6) KHIII, if it is coming out. is definitely coming to the Wii, they need the game's demographics (which lean a bit younger than your average SquareEnix fanboy) to purchase the title.
Yeah right...
8) Microsoft is not dropping Rare.
Who said they would?
10) No Wario World sequel.
No shit!
13) Next year, I'm looking forward to Brutal Legend, Blocks, LMNO, Alive, Hail to the Chimp, Alan Wake, Prince of Persia, Heavy Rain, fl0wer, Getaway, Duke Nukem Forever (not that I cared for the previous games, but you have to wonder what was done with ten years of development), Max Payne 3, thatgamecompany's third PS3 game, The Outsider, Lego Batman, Pain, No More Heroes, Mushroom Men, Spore, as well as I few others I have forgotten.
I'm looking forward to Starfox Wii!
14) Capcom character could happen in SSBB (I'd say Mega Man, who has his own Wii-exclusive coming next year), but a Square character seems highly unlikely.
Yes it could happen, I could also be a Smash Bros. character, hell Rayman could be in it for all we know.
16) Street Fighter IV is 2d/3d/cell-shaded on the PS360.
How can you 2D/3D/Cellshade a game, let me guess blast processing as well?
19) Activision has a title that supports the Wii Zapper coming in the near future.
Starts with Call ends with Duty, Arcade mode.
20) Factor 5 would like to develop for Wii, but there are not any concrete plans for a title.
Everyone would like to develop for Wii since E3 2006.

I'm not saying everything is bullshit but most rumors are just guesses.
I can do it to:
New EAD game in 2008
Namco will not work on the next Starfox game
I'm looking forward to CS2 next year
Valve would like to make a game for Wii, no concrete plans yet
EA will do "something" with Need for Speed next year.

She's just connecting the dots. We already knew about most of the rumors but we simply forgot. Like the Skies of Arcadia thing, no more Shenmue, KHIII, nothing yet from Red Steel 2, so development isn't going smooth etc.

Shiggy

[Nintex] said:
Bullshit NCL decides everything.

Monster Games is she serious? Excite Truck was a great game but nowhere near the quality of F-zero GX. Excite Boat or Excite Truck 2 are much more likely, if any since the first game bombed.

1080 is a no-brainer, NST cancelled Project H.A.M.M.E.R. to work on something else. 1080 for Wii Fitness Board.

Yeah right...

Who said they would?

No shit!

I'm looking forward to Starfox Wii!

Yes it could happen, I could also be a Smash Bros. character, hell Rayman could be in it for all we know.
How can you 2D/3D/Cellshade a game, let me guess blast processing as well?

Starts with Call ends with Duty, Arcade mode.

Everyone would like to develop for Wii since E3 2006.

I'm not saying everything is bullshit but most rumors are just guesses.
I can do it to:
New EAD game in 2008
Namco will not work on the next Starfox game
I'm looking forward to CS2 next year
Valve would like to make a game for Wii, no concrete plans yet
EA will do "something" with Need for Speed next year.

She's just connecting the dots. We already knew about most of the rumors but we simply forgot. Like the Skies of Arcadia thing, no more Shenmue, KHIII, nothing yet from Red Steel 2, so development isn't going smooth etc.

Yeah, right...
http://sttnw.blogspot.com/
Die you know about those projects? Or did you see those Project H.A.M.M.E.R. photos before?

[Nintex]

Shiggy said:
Yeah, right...
http://sttnw.blogspot.com/
Die you know about those projects? Or did you see those Project H.A.M.M.E.R. photos before?
Is that blog from the same person?
I'm not saying everything is bullshit, I'm saying 75% is, 20% is obvious or already known and 5% are credible. No one is going to ask Ubisoft about the Red Steel 2 rumors, we'll never know if it's true or not. Ubisoft, Activision, I don't see them having problems with this but Japanese devs are different in this regard and I'm sure Nintendo doesn't want surfergirl or gamecubedude to announce the next Animal Crossing game. It's impossible to know all this stuff about the entire industry. It seems that he/she has sources in every development studio.

Shiggy

[Nintex] said:
Is that blog from the same person?
I'm not saying everything is bullshit, I'm saying 75% is, 20% is obvious or already known and 5% are credible. No one is going to ask Ubisoft about the Red Steel 2 rumors, we'll never know if it's true or not. Ubisoft, Activision, I don't see them having problems with this but Japanese devs are different in this regard and I'm sure Nintendo doesn't want surfergirl or gamecubedude to announce the next Animal Crossing game. It's impossible to know all this stuff about the entire industry. It seems that he/she has sources in every development studio.

That blog is from the same person. And what she does say seems credible.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
pubba said:
To coincide with Ghostbusters 4 - Full CGI movie featuring the original cast voices.

Seriously - the wii-mote would be brilliant for a ghostbuster game. Don't cross the streams! etc..

Please be true.

I've seen it. It looks reaaaaally cool.
It's not "Ghostbusters 3" however, and it is coming out for the Wii.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Surfer Girl is receiving tips from random people, some of the stuff is true some of it is false, and he picks and choose what he thinks he can trust. But I know for sure that his sources are of very little worth. For example he posted a lot about Ubisoft, but again a whole lot of what he said was total bullshit (Prince of Persia hudless FPS=bullshit, Editorial Staff overseeing everything like madmen=bullshit, games being delayed because of stupid requests=BULLSHIT (no game has been delayed for the wrong reasons)). What he said about the Martin Tremblay VS Yannis Mallat case is all publicly available. His rumor of a new Prince of Persia game is from info that was leaked with the big Ubisoft data leak a year ago (heck there was even concept art of the characters).

So at least I know I'm not going to rely on what he says. Chances are there is a LOT of bullshit in what he says about other companies as well.

Another update:
Solutions to yesterday's things.
I) Jade Empire II is a mix between steampunk and Chinese mythology
II) Everquest is coming to PS3
III) Big Huge Games Wii title is God the Game
IV) Night Driver, Canyon Bomber, and Crystal Castles are coming back as downloadable titles
V) In the next year, Sony will announce and make available its answer to XNA and WiiWare.

1) The game counterpart of the 2009 Tom Hanks/Steven Spielberg HBO miniseries The Pacific (the follow-up to 2001's Band of Brothers) is being developed by Delirious Games, who has not even announced a game prior to landing this license and I had never heard until yesterday, for PC/PS3/360. It is a third-person shooter with "innovative features."
2) थे लेवेल्स इन ********** **, इन आर्डर व्हिच थे ओक्कुर, अरे: आइसलैंड (फेअतुरेस मच बॉस बत्तले), उ.एस. शोरेलिने*, उ.एस. देफेंसेस* (बॉस बत्तले इन व्हिच यू देफेंद बिग बेर्त्हस), सं फ्रांसिस्को (तकेस प्लेस अत अ कॉलेज, बॉस बत्तले अगेंस्ट अ लॉट ऑफ़ तितंस), रेद्वूड्स* (बॉस बत्तले अगेंस्ट अ बुंच ऑफ़ स्ताल्केर्स), लॉगिंग कैंप*, फर्म्तोवं उ.एस.अ., बद्लान्ड्स* (बॉस बत्तले अगेंस्ट अ बुंच ऑफ़ गोलिअथ्स), चिकागो* (बॉस बत्तले अगेंस्ट अ लेविअथान), लुइसियाना ऎंड मेक्सिको* (चिमेरण फ्लीट कवर थे युकातन). थे लास्ट लीन इन थे गेम इस "ओह, सहित..." अस्तेरिस्क्स इन्दिकाते मुल्तिप्लायेर मप्स।

Also, I'm cited in the Dutch Wikipedia, until about five minutes from now when someone reverts it.

So, does anyone here speak Hindi? I can find some machine translation from English to Hindi, but not the other way around.

Anyway, more grain-of-salt stuff from the comments section:

-New Mario platformer coming to DS, may or may not be NSMB2
-No plans for a Wii hard drive
-Either Golden Sun 3 or a new Kid Icarus is coming, but not both
-Max Payne 3 being developed by a Canadian Rockstar studio

ethelred

Father_Brain said:
-New Mario platformer coming to DS, may or may not be NSMB2

Don't know if it's in the works or not (given how well NSMB continues to sell, Ninty may be content milking that for the next half-decade), but Nintendo seriously -- seriously -- needs to be making New! Super Mario Bros. 2. The first game was fantastic and I bet the team could do even more the second time.

Father_Brain said:
-No plans for a Wii hard drive

Jives with their idiot PR drivel, but it's a fucking dumb move all the same. All they're going to do here is continue to alienate people who want to buy stuff.

Father_Brain said:
-Either Golden Sun 3 or a new Kid Icarus is coming, but not both

I have no idea why a Golden Sun game would conflict with a Kid Icarus game, but if we had to choose, I'll go with a DS Camelot-developed GS3 in a heartbeat.

numble

Now that somebody's bumped this thread I'll add this tidbit she says in comments:
- Cory Barlog left SCEA Santa Monica, but not necessarily Sony

Just more ammo as it seems to be something that can easily be debunked/verified in the future.

Busty

Banned
numble said:
Now that somebody's bumped this thread I'll add this tidbit she says in comments:
- Cory Barlog left SCEA Santa Monica, but not necessarily Sony.

I'd heard that there was alot of investment flying around the gaming industry from various hedge funds and Wall St types. Perhaps Barlog managed to snag some for himself to start his own studio just like Jaffe.

Surfer Girl said:
V) In the next year, Sony will announce and make available its answer to XNA and WiiWare.

What does this even mean? XNA has been a big noise about nothing and WiiWare is hardly been empowering the average consumer to make downloadable Wii games.

I'm sure that WiiWare and XNA has been empowering smaller, garage studios to develop for their respective download platforms, but Sony has been the most aggressive in this field. They already have 80+ PSN games in developement and games such as Elefantastic are already coming from small development teams.

I think that we'll see Sony virtually relaunch their online platform (not including HOME) at some point but I'm not sure what this means.

numble

Updated for November 12th:

It looks like 6 pieces of made up junk for some joke I don't really get: (Example: "Capcom has revealed that the Wii version of Okami will feature Duran Duran's "Hungry Like a Wolf" as the theme song and will feature music from Sea Wolf ("You're a Wolf"), Wolf Parade, Wolf Eyes, Wolfmother, Peanut Butter Wolf, amongst others in order to connect with the modern gamer and ensure the game is successful this time around.")

But the last part of non-ridiculous info has her clarifying the Hindi from a previous post...
Since she actually said that these are spoilers, I will spoiler the info below, I'm 100% confident that she's referring to Resistance II:
Spoiler warning:
Also, below is the English version of the text found in Hindi in yesterday's post:
The levels in ********** **, in order which they occur, are: Iceland (features Mech boss battle), U.S. Shoreline*, U.S. Defenses* (boss battle in which you defend Big Berthas), San Francisco (takes place at a college, boss battle against a lot of Titans), Redwoods* (boss battle against a bunch of stalkers), Logging Camp*, Farmtown U.S.A., Badlands* (boss battle against a bunch of Goliaths), Chicago* (boss battle against a Leviathan), Louisiana and Mexico* (Chimeran fleet cover the Yucatan). The last line in the game is "oh, shit..." Asterisks indicate multiplayer maps.

Too bad I don't have the screens I saw from a version of the game from back in May, made those PoP screens look like the Final Fantasy film.

vdo

Busty said:
Surfer Girl said:

What does this even mean? XNA has been a big noise about nothing and WiiWare is hardly been empowering the average consumer to make downloadable Wii games.

I'm sure that WiiWare and XNA has been empowering smaller, garage studios to develop for their respective download platforms, but Sony has been the most aggressive in this field. They already have 80+ PSN games in developement and games such as Elefantastic are already coming from small development teams.

I think that we'll see Sony virtually relaunch their online platform (not including HOME) at some point but I'm not sure what this means.

Yeah, since Sony already has a good start in downloadable games with PSN, I am not sure what else they would need to offer to be an "answer to WiiWare". As for XNA, I thought it was built to allow just anyone to start making games (saw a thread about a GAF team was going to make one a while back). Although, I have not seen much from XNA efforts, it still is a cool, innovative idea, and one I'm glad Microsoft tried.

So even if it didn't become big, if Sony put out some sort of development tools package that was easy to use (in keeping with their Game 2.0 theme of users sharing their own content), that would be pretty neat. There are other things that they would probably get more of a bang from their buck in putting resources into, though, but, if they do end up offering something like that, it would be interesting to check out. What Surfer Girl is alluding to may not have anything to do with that, but that is all I could think of as an "answer to XNA".

MrTroubleMaker said:
:( please don't be true,
a mech battle in RFOM2 is really a bad idea, the game isn't about mech's :( :( :(

What if it's a slow, hulking low-tech mech like the ones in Ring of Red? That might be neat.

I don't even know why we have a thread for this anymore - I guess its nice to see the old school guessing games back in action. Back then all we had was people taking guesses about things to come in gaming

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
The last post was pathetic. "Look at all the shit college rock bands that I can namecheck," says Surfer Girl. Who the fuck namechecks the Klaxons? The fucking KLAXONS.

Busty

Banned
Too bad I don't have the screens I saw from a version of the game from back in May, made those PoP screens look like the Final Fantasy film.

What does this sentence even mean?

Busty said:

What does this sentence even mean?
it looks like utter shit

Busty

Banned
Suburban Cowboy said:
it looks like utter shit

You mean Resistance 2
a game that's between 12 and 15/18 months away
looks poor?

*shakes head*

I think Sony should just cancel this game in that case. Thanks Surfer Girl for the scoop!

Surfer Girl is taking too much shit from comment box. I don't even know if she's confirming whether they are right or wrong. Oh well, i still have faith in him/her (dontchu dare make me lose that faith!!).

numble

Surfering Dude?

Looks like Surfer Girl's blog was hacked(?) by someone named "DA Golaith."

He's posted a bunch of gibberishy stuff, but he's also posted 3 pretty detailed flowchart/project plans that are purportedly for Resistance 2, detailing specific details about the online and story modes, right down to the multiplayer features and game modes, and all the planned objectives/checkpoints from each level. The storyboard jives with the little hints Surfer Girl threw about in the past regarding Resistance 2.

So--this guy either came upon the document(s) that were the source of Surfer Girl's prior rumors, or he made up these documents based on Surfer Girl's prior rumors.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
numble said:
Surfering Dude?

He's posted a bunch of gibberishy stuff, but he's also posted 3 pretty detailed flowchart/project plans that are purportedly for Resistance 2, detailing specific details about the online and story modes, right down to the multiplayer features and game modes, and all the planned objectives/checkpoints from each level. The storyboard jives with the little hints Surfer Girl threw about in the past regarding Resistance 2.

So--this guy either came upon the document(s) that were the source of Surfer Girl's prior rumors, or he made up these documents based on Surfer Girl's prior rumors.

That is awesome :lol

SPEA

numble said:
Surfering Dude?

Damn. Those flow charts are realllllly specific. If he did create those just for the purpose of hacking a blog, then he is a sad sad man.

If you're into Resistance, I wouldn't read for fear of having the sequel ruined for you.

numble

If the site was really hacked: Looks like the password was "travis" or some variation of it. Hacker has since changed it. "DA Goliath" posted lyrics and Youtube for some Travis song, and comments in one of "DA Goliath's" posts:

surfer girl said...

Dear DA Golaith/lover of you Zofia,

Could I have my Google account back?

Sincerely,
sg

That's the last time I use any form of my boyfriend's name as a password, I completely forgot about the crappy Scottish soft rock band that shares his namesake.

November 13, 2007 10:32 PM
Anonymous said...

What a douche. Give her blog back, you tool. No one cares what a wannabe hacker has to say.

November 13, 2007 11:38 PM
surfer girl (DA Goliath") said...

surfer girl may be.

anoynmous, i am excellent hacker

November 13, 2007 11:45 PM

Also means that he was able to get into Surfer Girl's email, and so probably where she got her rumor tips sent to.

In other news, Destructoid interviewed her- here's a tidbit:
D: Are you ever afraid that there will be repercussions for the secrets you’ve been divulging? I also work in the film industry and between that and the videogame world I’m swimming in a sea of NDAs. There are topics that I would love to talk about publicly, because I think people will be excited to hear about them, but I’m deathly afraid that the hounds of the law will hunt me down. What motivates you to spill the beans?

SG: I have not broken an NDA yet.

D: Do you just not sign them?

SG: Nothing I've said so far has applied to one.

D: Why all the secrecy then? You often reveal your information in a cryptic, playfully mysterious fashion. What’s it all leading up to? Do you have a master scheme? Will there be a huge showdown on the roof with the coppers? Or are you going to reveal that it’s all been a big joke on us?

SG: There are topics I cannot talk about because of NDAs.

D: Does that mean you're getting permission to tell us the things you've said so far?

SG: Nothing I've said so far would be a breach of an NDA I have signed because I've talked about nothing that’s under an NDA. The ears, the mouth, the eyes are my sources, primarily. Not so much the nose.

ram

the charts look so made up - if they were some real document, they wouldnt have spelled the game: resistance:f all of man 2 or resistance 2.

Pachael

numble said:
Surfering Dude?

Important people: Make your passwords secure (non-dictionary words, mix of lower and upper case characters, numbers and/or symbols, longer length passwords) or something like this may happen to you!

bluemax

Banned
13) Next year, I'm looking forward to Brutal Legend, Blocks, LMNO, Alive, Hail to the Chimp, Alan Wake, Prince of Persia, Heavy Rain, fl0wer, Getaway, Duke Nukem Forever (not that I cared for the previous games, but you have to wonder what was done with ten years of development), Max Payne 3, thatgamecompany's third PS3 game, The Outsider, Lego Batman, Pain, No More Heroes, Mushroom Men, Spore, as well as I few others I have forgotten.

Wow TGC's third game is so secret even they don't know it exists!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ram said:
the charts look so made up - if they were some real document, they wouldnt have spelled the game: resistance:f all of man 2 or resistance 2.
Ever heard of internal/placeholder names?
I can assure you some of them can be truly weird :D

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ram said:

The hacker says that he found the charts online and that they aren't from Surfer Girl apparently

E-phonk

Banned
from surferdudesblogthing
surfer girl said...

neogaf i see no sources, who is he?

Haha, is the hackerguy giving us a shoutout in the comments? :lol

Edit: Ah, I see it now, one of the users calls himself neogaf. The hacker himself doesn't seem to know a lot about the games industry.

Also, he is reading her googlemail, apparently she's a freelance journalist, and has contacts within ubisoft, gamespot, insomniac, official playstation mag, kotaku etc.. Her name is apparently "Cathy"

Top Bottom