• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sven says No plans to bring EX Troopers westward at this time.

Riposte

WTF are you guys talking about? Capcom not supporting the 3DS?

Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, and Resident Evil are their biggest franchises, two of which have made it to the west (and didn't exactly meet expectations for the effort). Recently they announced a new Gyakuten Saiban which they confirmed is coming to the west.

Is your will to whine so demanding it has overtaken your ability to perceive reality and thus turned everything into hyperbole?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"3DS isn't selling that great in the west."

"Don't ever put any games on it!"

"3DS is still selling poorly in the west."

"Good thing we never supported it!"

To be fair this is endemic to all handhelds. The PSP and Vita weren't any better off, and neither was the DS aside from some ports required by its success and small scale games like Scribblenauts.

Emitan

Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, and Resident Evil are their biggest franchises, two of which have made it to the west (and didn't exactly meet expectations for the effort). Recently they announced a new Gyakuten Saiban which they confirmed is coming to the west.

Is your will to whine so demanding it has overtaken your ability to perceive reality and thus turned everything into hyperbole?
A port of a console game, games that we don't even know if we're getting on this platform, and Resident Evil one of which was half a game and the other was a normal RE game and I don't give two flying shits about RE anyway :p

Riposte

A port of a console game, games that we don't even know if we're getting on this platform, and Resident Evil one of which was half a game and the other was a normal RE game and I don't give two flying shits about RE anyway :p

So because mommy didn't buy you cocopuffs over frosted flakes, you are going to throw yourself on the supermarket floor and throw a tantrum like nothing matters? I at least commend you on your nerve.

Emitan

So because mommy didn't buy you cocopuffs over frosted flakes, you are going to throw yourself on the supermarket floor and throw a tantrum like nothing matters? I at least commend you on your nerve.

Where is Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition? Oops! Need to play on a different system for that!

Where is Monster Hunter, one of the largest gaming franchises in Japan? Oops! Can't play that either!

A bonus mode from other Resident Evil games being sold for $40 instead of the $15 downloadable title it would be on every other platform? You but they did that!

Ryuukan

Ignoring your terrible analogy, since when is it wrong for consumers to want to buy products from publishers?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
hey man there was a new onimusha released in 2012

for web browsers
Fear not, Spark Unlimited is working on a third person action slasher game based on an established yet not mega selling series that contains swords and has horror elements.

Riposte

They did release Monster Hunter on the 3DS and exclusively given the sequel to that platform (which in Japan you could not give a better gift short of Nintendo going third-party and handing out Pokemon and Mario). You are entitled to your resentment that the 3DS is a region-locked system (and that you can't afford or understand a Japanese platform) or that Capcom is free to decide which games they localize and at what pace, but that doesn't make what you are saying true. The problem is that you are trying write narrative to fit your grumpy mood. The truth is simply a matter of the US and Japan having radically different preferences for platforms and Capcom has to weigh the costs of localization and IP image in taking a risk. There are likely solutions Capcom could take to make more people happy at a lower cost (though that is ultimately a choice dependent on information they know best), but those are faint words on a forum of perpetual bitching and resentment. Keep the emo' in check.

Wow this is totally lame. With Code of Princess and Fire Eblem making it over, I was hoping things were getting better. Its pathetic how many 3DS games are not making it out of Japan, especially really great looking games like EX Troopers.

Boney

Banned
Updated thread title to reflect that this statement really isn't a categorical denial, it's a standard "we haven't announced anything". I have no idea if it'll be localized or not, mind you.

I guess it isn't canada's fault that andrex doesn't know how to read

Ryuukan

They did release Monster Hunter on the 3DS and exclusively given the sequel to that platform (which in Japan you could not give a better gift short of Nintendo going third-party and handing out Pokemon and Mario). You are entitled to your resentment that the 3DS is a region-locked system (and that you can't afford or understand a Japanese platform) or that Capcom is free to decide which games they localize and at what pace, but that doesn't make what you are saying true. The problem is that you are trying write narrative to fit your grumpy mood. The truth is simply a matter of the US and Japan having radically different preferences for platforms and Capcom has to weigh the costs of localization and IP image in taking a risk. There are likely solutions Capcom could take to make more people happy at a lower cost (though that is ultimately a choice dependent on information they know best), but those are faint words on a forum of perpetual bitching and resentment. Keep the emo' in check.

Completely irrelevant, this isn't a Capcom shareholder forum. This is a gaming forum. People expecting a global corporation to release products in major markets is not 'emo' or 'resentment', its common sense.

syoaran

While I would normally agree with you, I think you are ignoring why some on GAF are having such an adverse reaction to even the mention of Capcom and localisation. If you want to make more blanket statements on how "emo" people are, I'd suggest you read some of the Mon Hun (more recently) and AAI2 threads.

Otherwise, you are right about the costs related to localization and the risk it entails. Again, the blanket statement on this is unwise. Capcoms decision to push Lost Planet 3, despite a complete lack of audience seems to me that the upper management can't tell their left from their right (and prehaps their creative talent jumping ship might be a symptom of that).

Back on point, I do think it's sad that EX Troopers is not on the cards for localization. Like Mon Hun, it looks like a great game that has the potential to grow the portfolio and make money if given the right kind of marketing.

Riposte

Completely irrelevant, this isn't a Capcom shareholder forum. This is a gaming forum. People expecting a global corporation to release products in major markets is not 'emo' or 'resentment', its common sense.

And this is irrelevant, as I am talking about making falsehoods to support one's "common sense" (which can easily be an expression of resentment).

Capcoms decision to push Lost Planet 3, despite a complete lack of audience seems to me that the upper management can't tell their left from their right (and prehaps their creative talent jumping ship might be a symptom of that).

I think they are pushing Lost Planet 3 because it is like Dead Space and not like Lost Planet 2. They are quite keen on farming games out to western development studios, to which you never have to ask the question "This works in Japan, but does it work in the West"?

Also before I say anything good or bad about EX Troopers, I'd like to know more on what it is exactly outside the graphics.

JordanN

Banned

My problem is they're not supporting the 3DS, now. Which has me angered simply because the selection of 3DS games in the Western Market has gotten so barren whereas Japan has all these IP's to themselves that could help remedy the situation.

fates

Forgetting that they cancelled Megaman Legends 3, have been stringing the MH fans along for 2 years and continue to do it even now, will likely not get Project X Zone and definitely not EX Troopers now. No, their 3DS support isn't very stellar.

If you like the games they put on the 3DS, fine. That's cool. But there's a lot of people who want these games Capcom refuses to consider and we're not supposed to say anything about it?

Conan-san

Do you think I'll act like I know why Capcom brought over X game instead of Y game? Maybe they saw money in aiming towards the anime / DBZ / Naruto(CyberConnect2) crowd. Then again Asura's Wrath was released on home consoles, which they know works better for the west. Who knows?

I dunno, you apparently acted as if you did.

The kinds of games I like to play are primarily Japanese-developed games. (Not crazy stuff where there's naked schoolgirls all over the place, normal games.)

So when I see that less and less of them are coming over I get worried. If it was the original DS I would just import a game that didn't get localized.

Can't do that now.

The 3DS is surging in Japan, and getting tons of high quality games coming out for it.
The localization problem is getting concerning for me. If the games that excite me aren't coming out here, I won't go buy Horsez 3D to make up for it.

I'm holding out hope that by the end of January we will have a clearer picture of where the support is and isn't in regards to Japanese releases on 3DS.

Something tells me everyone in NA is holding back on bringing things over maybe because the unified account system isn't in place yet (see UnchainedBlades)

But it's all speculation on my part.

Digital distribution of localized games makes so much sense to reduce costs it's crazy.
Also, if Localization teams didn't do voiceovers in all their localizations maybe it wouldn't cost so much (just a thought).

ohlawd

The last 3 pages... some people getting riled up and rightfully so lol.

We're getting AA5 over here now. Announce MH4's localization and everything else from Capcom is icing.

You mean that's NOT normal?

I realize the difficulty in calling many Japanese games normal...

Western games normally don't interest me because they can be too dark or too stiff sometimes (content-wise they take themselves way too seriously). This is hard for me to put into words...

I'm not that into playing games with a lot of swearing, gore and violence (except for the occasional burst of brutaldoom). It's just not interesting to me.

My preference is for lighthearted games with great artwork and fun gameplay.
A lot of Japanese games hit that mark for me and have for years
*shrugs*

Pikma

Banned
The kinds of games I like to play are primarily Japanese-developed games. (Not crazy stuff where there's naked schoolgirls all over the place, normal games.)

So when I see that less and less of them are coming over I get worried. If it was the original DS I would just import a game that didn't get localized.

Can't do that now.

The 3DS is surging in Japan, and getting tons of high quality games coming out for it.
The localization problem is getting concerning for me. If the games that excite me aren't coming out here, I won't go buy Horsez 3D to make up for it.

I'm holding out hope that by the end of January we will have a clearer picture of where the support is and isn't in regards to Japanese releases on 3DS.

Something tells me everyone in NA is holding back on bringing things over maybe because the unified account system isn't in place yet (see UnchainedBlades)

But it's all speculation on my part.

Digital distribution of localized games makes so much sense to reduce costs it's crazy.
Also, if Localization teams didn't do voiceovers in all their localizations maybe it wouldn't cost so much (just a thought).

I don't think the situation is that positive, we've been missing a lot of games lately, but it's not because of goodwill, it's just publisher don't care anymore about them, they only care about potential million sellers and the like, but I agree with you, let's wait some more, if the times don't get better I'll surely sell both my OG and my XL to import a JP 3DS and I'll take Japanese lessons next semester (I already have that planned anyway).

Ronok

Ok, I just have to ask. Exactly how much does it cost Capcom to localize a game? I mean, a purely text based localization can't cost that much right? I can understand them not wanting to take a risk with a game when there are distribution costs involved as well, but when there is a digital avenue to go down I really don't understand not taking a risk with basically any game.

Just how badly does game have to sell to not cover this?

Jawmuncher

Ok, I just have to ask. Exactly how much does it cost Capcom to localize a game? I mean, a purely text based localization can't cost that much right? I can understand them not wanting to take a risk with a game when there are distribution costs involved as well, but when there is a digital avenue to go down I really don't understand not taking a risk with basically any game.

Really it just comes down to Capcom being lazy.

Qurupeke

I'm not that interested in EX Troopers but it's a shame. :/ I hope that at least other games like Monster Hunter 3G and Project X Zone will be released to the west...

Even niche publishers like Atlus, Xseed, etc. typically shy away from doing text only localizations for games with voice acting. There's a snowballs chance in hell Capcom would do it.

Ronok

Even niche publishers like Atlus, Xseed, etc. typically shy away from doing text only localizations for games with voice acting. There's a snowballs chance in hell Capcom would do it.

Yeah I know companies don't do it. I'm questioning why they don't, it makes no sense. They've got these finished games, why not take a risk with a cheaper localisation and a digital release?

To repeat, how badly would a game have to sell, not to recuperate the costs?

From their perspective, do they actually think it would hurt their image as a publisher to have Japanese voice in their game, or just that it will hurt sales?

Jawmuncher

Yeah I know companies don't do it. I'm questioning why they don't, it makes no sense. They've got these finished games, why not take a risk with a cheaper localisation and a digital release?

From their perspective, do they actually think it would hurt their image as a publisher to have Japanese voice in their game, or just that it will hurt sales?

This is something I have always wondered to.
Since the demographic they aim at with their games would not mind at all, if the voices were still in japanese.

Yeah localization is expensive but a drop in the bucket compared to other costs going into development and release.

Although Capcom has a fairly decent sized in-house localization team which if managed properly would at least cut down on some costs.

yurinka

Less than it cost for the mentioned niche pulishers like Atlus, Xseed, etc. because Capcom has an internal localization department and because this game is gonna be released in 2 platforms, so the cost of the dubs would be splitted. The distributing and manufacturing cost would be the same. Capcom would spend a bit more than them to market it in the west. But considering that they already have the game made, I think that the whole cost of bring a game to the western markets would be low enough to make it profitable.

I really don't know why Capcom "recently" skips a lot of western releases. They're fucking it up.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Welcome to the mystery of making money that so many vigyagame peeps struggle with. Capcom and Sega both have teamed up to not bring their best shit westward, despite games such as MonHun, Yakuza, Valkyria, Ex Troopers etc already being made and are sunk costs. With digital distro now as an avenue, the only costs to bring over are the translation team's wages, QC testers, and any re-licensing/submission costs. And if a publisher can't pay those and still make profit, they are assuredly doing it wrong.

The sheer quantity of incompetent people in seriously important roles at companies is really eye opening. TO A WORLD OF SHIT.

Welcome to the mystery of making money that so many vigyagame peeps struggle with. Capcom and Sega both have teamed up to not bring their best shit westward, despite games such as MonHun, Yakuza, Valkyria, Ex Troopers etc already being made and are sunk costs. With digital distro now as an avenue, the only costs to bring over are the translation team's wages, QC testers, and any re-licensing/submission costs. And if a publisher can't pay those and still make profit, they are assuredly doing it wrong.

The sheer quantity of incompetent people in seriously important roles at companies is really eye opening. TO A WORLD OF SHIT.

You mean a world of iPad rainbows and in-app-purchased sunflowers.

It seems to me they are killing off the base ... to replace it with others.

What other explanation could there be?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
You mean a world of iPad rainbows and in-app-purchased sunflowers.

It seems to me they are killing off the base ... to replace it with others.

What other explanation could there be?

A fun game to play with videogames in this era is to slow down videogame credits and really drink it all in. Sega had some big ass layoffs recently, and people were a bit confused as to why. When you watch half hour long credits attached to games these days however, you begin to understand the swollen nature of the beast. The question game to play with each name is:

What did this person do to bring the game to market?
Were they working a full-time 9-5 job on that?
Did they even, actually, know this game existed?

and then also enjoy "can't afford to bring over X_______X Game" due to localisation costs. In an era where chaps such as Durante are on show retrofitting a PC game for free with top end effects, hobbyists turfing out manga, subs, and game translation patches, the question instead becomes "Are you paying the salaries of the right set of people?".

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
However, as said by Stumpokapow, this is a classic PR response smelling like "We haven't announced anything", which isn't anything definitive at all.

However, as said by Stumpokapow, this is a classic PR response smelling like "We haven't announced anything", which isn't anything definitive at all.

Capcom hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt from its fans that, say, Atlus has. That's the problem.

Conan-san

Yeah, atlus gets a pass because (P4A PAL Aside) they've largely been OK doods about these things.

Capcom, on the other hand, have systematically worked to paint themselves as Hitler and the Hunter who killed Bambi's mom's secret demon baby so they don't get such a luxury.

Amalthea

Banned

I think the fact that Capcom fucked off Mikami, Inafune and Kamiya was eye opening enough.

News Bot

Banned
Sven's job seems to consist of relaying bad news and making statements directly contradicted by CAPCOM Japan. Poor guy.

Top Bottom